Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched Aloha today because I'm sick as heck and stuck in bed, and notwithstanding using Emma Stone as a Hawaiian native, the movie has a pretty cutting critique of the militarization of space, the privatization of spaceflight, and was willing to openly say that Hawaii is essentially stolen land under permanent military occupation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Xaris posted:

gently caress i completely forgot Terriers. That was such a god drat good show that deserved another season.

i'll checkout lodge 49

Lodge 49 is terrific and season one is on Hulu in America. Crappy though that, unless they get picked up, we're only getting half the intended story. What's there is absolutely worth watching though.

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

there's a slim chance it'll go to a streaming service but not likely

it is totally worth it though, it portrays the lost working class in modern america and has really well fleshed out characters and super capable actors

also it has a character named beautiful jeff, who is more beautiful than you imagined

The running gag of Dud constantly thinking he's making these grand gently caress you gestures to his loan shark by getting deeper in debt with him is terrific.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Watching Paths of Glory for armistice day. Thought the general was over the top but then I looked it up and its all true

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Watching the Che two-parter for Bolivian coup day. Surprisingly good stuff

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Yeah, I saw it as like a roadshow thing, both movies in a row with a decent intermission, I thought it was a pretty decent representation and pretty memorable. It got tons of appreciation in Cuba, which I like.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Watching Paths of Glory for armistice day. Thought the general was over the top but then I looked it up and its all true

WWI was insane. Everyone knew when the armistice was coming for example but the generals still sent their troops into combat in order to grab land. Henry Nicholas John Gunther was killed one minute before the armistice went into effect.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

WW1 was just all the worst people being in charge at the worst possible time. You couldn't have a bigger possible conflagration of international class dysfunction.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Serf posted:

breaking things up with hays' alzheimers loving with the flow of time was an interesting refinement of the split narrative from s1, and it felt like it had a more satisfying ending

i feel like those things could have been cool, but they were ultimately not used to do anything remotely interesting (no subversion of expectations, no apparently supernatural twists like all the hastur fake-outs from S1) and the ultimate resolution of the plot being delivered deus ex machina style by his dead wife was really underwhelming.

"what if the actual answer was a thing that nobody could have reasonably inferred from any event that happened in the prior nine episodes and is instead some last minute rear end-pull that sort of has parsimony but is otherwise completely orthogonal to anything else about the case"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Alhazred posted:

WWI was insane. Everyone knew when the armistice was coming for example but the generals still sent their troops into combat in order to grab land. Henry Nicholas John Gunther was killed one minute before the armistice went into effect.

yeah like i knew it was bad in general but when he started calling artillery down on his own men i was thinking "okay this is some 40k bullshit"; except it actually did happen. it's like the reverse enemy at the gates

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

WW1 was just all the worst people being in charge at the worst possible time. You couldn't have a bigger possible conflagration of international class dysfunction.

the 2020s: we'll see about that

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/goodboymachine/status/1194694880452321280?s=21

hell yea

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

StashAugustine posted:

yeah like i knew it was bad in general but when he started calling artillery down on his own men i was thinking "okay this is some 40k bullshit"; except it actually did happen. it's like the reverse enemy at the gates

Blackadder Goes Forth is footage of actual conversations and events from WWI but with a laugh track

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MizPiz posted:

Blackadder Goes Forth is footage of actual conversations and events from WWI but with a laugh track

As WW1 Gutpunch dramas go, the last episode is right up there with All Quiet On The Western Front

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

logh remake is surprisingly good despite the boring character designs

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

this is why i dont consider most vietnam movies to be antiwar movies they get as far as war is hell but just act like this is an inevitable aspect of the human condition and not the direct outcome of decisions made by a small number of rich idiots who never suffer consequences from failure

the way officers are lionized in media today would have been unfathomable a couple of generations ago because back when a significant portion of the general population actually served in the armed forces however briefly pretty much everyone had an anecdote about that time a superior officer nearly got them killed over some petty easily predicted pratfall

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

One under communicated fact is that at least 2000 migrant chinese workers died in WWI (the highest estimate is 20 000). They died because they had to remove undetonated bombs, because they were hit by german bombers or because they were shot by the brits when they protested the appalling working conditions

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Alhazred posted:

One under communicated fact is that at least 2000 migrant chinese workers died in WWI (the highest estimate is 20 000). They died because they had to remove undetonated bombs, because they were hit by german bombers or because they were shot by the brits when they protested the appalling working conditions
There was some lovely Hong Kong movie a few years ago that had an awesome intro where one of those Chinese workers had to deal with a surprise ambush of Germans on his fellow migrants and used kung fu to fight them off.

The rest of the movie was Chinese nationalist bullcrap. (Nationalist in terms of modern Chinese nationalism.)

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Wolf Warrior?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

This is the only show I care about.

Where can I watch this?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Where can I watch this?

hbo or filez. it's very, very well done

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

i say swears online posted:

hbo or filez. it's very, very well done

Thank you kind goon.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/meadowlion/status/1195128164277772288?s=21

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

i say swears online posted:

holy cow his dark materials is way better than golden compass

yeah everything about it is better so far, writing, acting, casting, direction, cinnamontography, just light years better than that awful movie

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i can't watch it because everyone i know cancelled their hbo after game of thrones finished lmao

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

NecroMonster posted:

i can't watch it because everyone i know cancelled their hbo after game of thrones finished lmao

:filez: getting popular again

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this may be the most weekly-released shows i'm watching in a decade. i wonder if shows which release an entire season at once are getting backlash

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Man in high castle season 4 is a huge departure from the rest of the series in the best way

It went from "fighting nazis makes you just as bad as them" to a literal black communist revolution against the Japanese

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Washington Post: A student opposed a YA novel for mandatory college reading. The backlash from famous authors was fierce.

Jezebel: Bestselling Authors Band Together to Dunk on a College Student

Brooke Nelson, a graduate of Northern State University in Aberdeen, South Dakota, had a quote of hers from 2017 dug up wherein she said that

quote:

“She’s fine for teen girls,” the 2017 Northern graduate said of Dessen, “But definitely not up to the level of Common Read. So I became involved simply so I could stop them from ever choosing Sarah Dessen.”

Apparently Dessen found the quote, and posted it on her social media and claimed that it was hurtful and was marginalizing the experiences of young women, which caused a huge pile-on against Nelson from Dessen's followers, along with other YA authors such as Roxane Gay, Jodi Picoult, and Jenny Han and their respective fans.

https://twitter.com/jenniferweiner/status/1194616187117821952
https://twitter.com/sarahdessen/status/1194258169943535616

It's worth noting that Nelson's other class reading suggestion was '"Just Mercy", a memoir that unspools the story of a black man wrongly sentenced to death for a 1986 murder he didn’t commit'.

I also found out in the process of reading about this issue that apparently Ready Player One has been a recommended reading for a class at one point or another.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Just shaking my head drat over this YA poo poo

millionaire authors should be able to take mild criticism about the academic merit of their garbage books

Don't get high on your own supply (of farts)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I love reading about YA poo poo because it always turns out that the most psycho fans and authors are 40 year old women pretending to be 18 year olds on tumblr in 2015

Serf
May 5, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

I love reading about YA poo poo because it always turns out that the most psycho fans and authors are 40 year old women pretending to be 18 year olds on tumblr in 2015

sometimes i think about that lady who got her book deal pulled because the book contained slavery, which it said was evil. just the fact that slavery existed was all it took

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how the hell did two major publications both manage to write an entire article on this subject without ever at any point describing what the book was about im reading through her wikipedia article and i cant even guess which of these extremely generic sounding middle class white girl books was supposed to be so important as to necessitate being on the common read list

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The issues of teenage girls are a valid source of literature, but the fact that you're considered a "Young Adult" author implies that you're dumbing things down for your readers.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

tfw you spend 100 grand on college and you get this book as assigned reading:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

this is why i dont consider most vietnam movies to be antiwar movies they get as far as war is hell but just act like this is an inevitable aspect of the human condition and not the direct outcome of decisions made by a small number of rich idiots who never suffer consequences from failure

the way officers are lionized in media today would have been unfathomable a couple of generations ago because back when a significant portion of the general population actually served in the armed forces however briefly pretty much everyone had an anecdote about that time a superior officer nearly got them killed over some petty easily predicted pratfall

This is why the best modern war movie is Generation Kill

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The book selection lady should have known that he cruel bullying of Sarah's healing and uplifting books would embolden the chuds, bros, fanboys, fedoras, incels, deplorables, and twitter mob; and simply stayed in her lane IMO.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Jeep posted:

tfw you spend 100 grand on college and you get this book as assigned reading:

the wikipedia page for this is hilarious - the synopsis reads like it was a book report

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

quote:

Mclean hates the fact that her parents are divorced and that her mom married her dad's favorite basketball team-Defriese University's new coach, Peter Hamilton.

i think i read this story in e/n once

i like how the ambiguous tense implies that this is still her dads favorite basketball team even though its led by the dude who cucked him

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 16:49 on Nov 15, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

the wikipedia page for this is hilarious - the synopsis reads like it was a book report

I'm impressed you read all of that with how cringing it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Some Guy TT posted:

i think i read this story in e/n once

i like how the ambiguous tense implies that this is still her dads favorite basketball team even though its led by the dude who cucked him

still tho, power flex from the mom managing to ruin her ex-husband's favorite hobby on top of divorcing him