Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Codes for Mike Tyson's Punch-Out on NES included 800 422 2602. When you entered that one and hit start, you got a busy signal sound.

The number was (and still is) Nintendo's customer service line. The code was poking fun at Nintendo itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

BalloonFish posted:

:monocle:

:eyepop:

:captainpop:

'Trouble in River City' indeed!

Not least because Captain Billy's first published in 1919 and The Music Man is set in 1912. Professor Hill is a time traveller!

https://twitter.com/DigiVictorian/status/1361722354603347970

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I had to look this up. It seems like a kittycat became slang for lady parts around the 19th century. So I'm going to guess the feline on her lap means something.

Can't get anything past me.

But it's just as likely they mean the mutton.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I'm certain this has been brought up itt but I was watching an old TV show on DVD with a few preroll period ads intact and AOL Keywords have got to be up there on the list of things modern audiences will have no knowledge about. For a while it seemed like everything had an AOL Keyword you could punch in to find stuff, then everything started to break off into individual websites

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

barnold posted:

I'm certain this has been brought up itt but I was watching an old TV show on DVD with a few preroll period ads intact and AOL Keywords have got to be up there on the list of things modern audiences will have no knowledge about. For a while it seemed like everything had an AOL Keyword you could punch in to find stuff, then everything started to break off into individual websites

Anyone who had the internet but didn't use AOL in that time period didn't know wtf was up with that either. I still don't.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Scudworth posted:

Anyone who had the internet but didn't use AOL in that time period didn't know wtf was up with that either. I still don't.

think of aol as tumblr and keywords as hashtags and you'll be 95% of the way there

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Not really. Keywords were more like user friendly web addresses. If you wanted to play games, you'd type in "games" instead of a web address. AOL got to determine which keyword went where, and they sold them for a lot of money.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They did some contests using keywords on the cartoons page. They had a new one each week, sometimes it was some distorted image. Or it might be a .3 second .wav of the sound gazoo from the flintstones makes, and it took 30 minutes to download. You'd have to guess what cartoon character it was, and then try entering their name backwards as a keyword.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I realized with Countries phasing out real coins and Crypto gaining traction, eventually we'll have a generation that associates coin more with a meme dog than with shiny metal discs

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Scudworth posted:

My family's first ISP was AOL and I never knew what AOL keywords were or what you did with them. I'd used the internet at school before getting it at home so I just opened the AOL app to make it connect to the internet then left it minimised unless I needed to disconnect (or reconnect).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of references lost on modern audiences and AOL, Endless September is still in full effect, and that means that netiquette is still lost on modern audience.

Ironically enough, the RFC post-dates Eternal September too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you know what "eternal September" means, you're old.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

My family's first ISP was AOL and I never knew what AOL keywords were or what you did with them. I'd used the internet at school before getting it at home so I just opened the AOL app to make it connect to the internet then left it minimised unless I needed to disconnect (or reconnect).

It was a big deal when AOL and Prodigy started providing internet gateways. There was a long period where they didn't; they weren't ISPs, they were walled-off content providers with no access to the internet. My family had Prodigy from the early 90s through to the late 90s. I convinced them to get a real ISP account in the mid 90s so I could play Ultima Online and Warcraft 2 via Kali's IPX emulation, but they still used Prodigy for years afterwards.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ultrafilter posted:

If you know what "eternal September" means, you're old.

I sure as hell am.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hey, I remember "It's always September somewhere on the Internet."

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Speaking of references lost on modern audiences and AOL, Endless September is still in full effect, and that means that netiquette is still lost on modern audience.

Ironically enough, the RFC post-dates Eternal September too.
The Eternal September was such a big deal Green Day even wrote a song about it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

quote:

1.0 Introduction

In the past, the population of people using the Internet had "grown
up" with the Internet, were technically minded, and understood the
nature of the transport and the protocols.

This sentence from the netiquette memo now means the opposite of what it meant.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Steve Jorbs posted:

The Eternal September was such a big deal Green Day even wrote a song about it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

hexwren posted:

This sentence from the netiquette memo now means the opposite of what it meant.

quote:

Never send chain letters via electronic mail. Chain letters
are forbidden on the Internet. Your network privileges
will be revoked.

If only.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I compared a thing to Time Cube recently and my younger cousin (who's twenty) had no idea what that is.

I'm old enough to vaguely remember a time before cellphones were widespread, so go figure.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Even at the time Time Cube was esoterica both in terms of actual content and popularity.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

As a fifth dimensional being, time cube is very comprehensible and the closest humanity has gotten to the truth.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I compared a thing to Time Cube recently and my younger cousin (who's twenty) had no idea what that is.

I'm old enough to vaguely remember a time before cellphones were widespread, so go figure.

I graduated college before cell phones were widespread (2004). They were certainly catching on, but it wasn't that uncommon to not have one. It's weird to think back on how we organized things and communicated. Lots of AOL Instant Messenger and waiting around places. Hell, people didn't even commonly bring laptops to class at that time. I remember one guy who always brought a laptop and I thought he was a weirdo. And I was studying computer science!

I forgot my phone for the first time in years a few days ago when I went out to run a few errands and felt lost and disconnected for the hour without it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I graduated college before cell phones were widespread (2004). They were certainly catching on, but it wasn't that uncommon to not have one. It's weird to think back on how we organized things and communicated. Lots of AOL Instant Messenger and waiting around places. Hell, people didn't even commonly bring laptops to class at that time. I remember one guy who always brought a laptop and I thought he was a weirdo. And I was studying computer science!

I forgot my phone for the first time in years a few days ago when I went out to run a few errands and felt lost and disconnected for the hour without it.

I finished college in '03. Same here. Not everyone had a cell phone, most had land lines. I think I had both? Also, no facebook, or anything like that that I can remember. Nobody that I knew had Live Journal, and even myspace was a few years away.
Sometime in the last week of school, one guy went around and got everyone's number on a piece of paper, or most people's numbers. Then photocopied it and handed it out. But like after a few months all those numbers were mostly dead because people either moved away for jobs, so their landline was gone, their cell number changed. A lot of times, even with the same carrier, if they just moved to a different area, the number got changed. There was no number portability or whatever they call it.

poo poo, a lot of people didn't even have email addresses besides their college address. Which luckily we were able to keep for about a year and a half or so after we finished.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

wesleywillis posted:

I finished college in '03. Same here. Not everyone had a cell phone, most had land lines. I think I had both? Also, no facebook, or anything like that that I can remember. Nobody that I knew had Live Journal, and even myspace was a few years away.
Sometime in the last week of school, one guy went around and got everyone's number on a piece of paper, or most people's numbers. Then photocopied it and handed it out. But like after a few months all those numbers were mostly dead because people either moved away for jobs, so their landline was gone, their cell number changed. A lot of times, even with the same carrier, if they just moved to a different area, the number got changed. There was no number portability or whatever they call it.

poo poo, a lot of people didn't even have email addresses besides their college address. Which luckily we were able to keep for about a year and a half or so after we finished.

I think Facebook existed but wasn't opened to students at my school at the time, at least during my senior year. I remember it opening up to students at my school in 2005 or so, but I no longer had a college email address. I was banished to MySpace, where you could modify your personal page with HTML and people had the most hideous abominations of pages with flashing text and embedded music that you've ever seen.

Hey, kids! There was a time before Facebook was open to anyone who wanted to join! It was only for college students, and even then, not every college! You had to have an email address at a supported school to join.

But yeah, I fell out of touch with a lot of friends because there was no good way to remain in touch. And my college relationship ended almost immediately after graduation (as they so often do), so there were a few women whose contact information I immediately regretted not having.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 14, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I graduated high school in ‘05, and I think my freshman year of college was the first year Facebook existed. It was strictly for college students, so you didn’t have to see stuff like your racist uncle posting about Trump. Or the drug dealer from your high school posting pictures of himself smoking a blunt. It was a simpler time.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So I compared the meme to Time Cube, which was the style at the time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As a babby who is scared of phone calls it's amazing to me that you olds would just... call up your high school bros to chat or whatever. The closest I've ever gotten is facetiming and only for romantic partners

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
When I hear "Time Cube" I think of this lovely thing: https://www.newegg.com/p/26Y-00M7-003A7

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a babby who is scared of phone calls it's amazing to me that you olds would just... call up your high school bros to chat or whatever. The closest I've ever gotten is facetiming and only for romantic partners

And there were a limited number of phone lines (most houses had 1, maybe 2 if they had kids or liked using dial-up at the same time as other people made phone calls), which was shared by all the phones in the house. So your parents could pick up the phone and hear what you were saying. And you'd have to get off the internet to make a phone call if you didn't have a separate line.

There's the "drat chatty teenage girl ties up the phone all the time" trope that you'll see in old sitcoms.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not just olds though. I guess my younger brother (early Millennial/late Gen X) learned it from our father, who would get drunk and decide to talk on the phone all night. Now my brother does it and it's such a baffling throwback to my childhood. He goes through his contact list, calling a new person whenever the current one tires of hearing how many people's he embalmed that week. He's drunk, talkative, and all he wants to talk about is creepy disturbing poo poo. Swell combo.

I used to think I enjoyed talking on the phone, but I ditched that activity as fast as technology permitted me to.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 14, 2021

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i talked on the phone with close friends for hours as late as like 07. i hate talking on the phone otherwise

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

nishi koichi posted:

i talked on the phone with close friends for hours as late as like 07. i hate talking on the phone otherwise

I still do that, although the number of people with whom I do it has plummeted.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Parahexavoctal posted:

I still do that, although the number of people with whom I do it has plummeted.

I've had friends for over a decade that I have literally never spoken to on the phone. Entirely text and in-person communication.

The only people I talk to on the phone now are my wife and other family-types. My wife is the only one I talk to on a regular basis, and it's usually short communication like "I'm on my way home, do you need anything from the grocery store? Okay, text me a list."

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I remember years ago doing internet radio and one of the other djs I worked with interviewed Time Cube guy and it was a wild-rear end ride. Think he's dead now though (Time Cube guy).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

subpar anachronism posted:

I remember years ago doing internet radio and one of the other djs I worked with interviewed Time Cube guy and it was a wild-rear end ride. Think he's dead now though (Time Cube guy).

Gene Ray died in like 2015. He had another guy he worked with who was on the same crazy wavelength but he bullied him into suicide.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/mikexnichols/status/1370877830150692869?s=21

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I've had friends for over a decade that I have literally never spoken to on the phone. Entirely text and in-person communication.

The only people I talk to on the phone now are my wife and other family-types. My wife is the only one I talk to on a regular basis, and it's usually short communication like "I'm on my way home, do you need anything from the grocery store? Okay, text me a list."

My 15 year old will call me from another room of our home rather than text. But never an audio call. It's always Facetime where the camera isn't even pointing at her. She'll also try to Facetime me when she knows I'm driving. I'm not sure she knows how to use the phone part of her iPhone.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

As a fifth dimensional being, time cube is very comprehensible and the closest humanity has gotten to the truth.

I thought that was Doug Forcett?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Gene Ray died in like 2015. He had another guy he worked with who was on the same crazy wavelength but he bullied him into suicide.

His stuff also veered from weird crazy into super racist crazy after Obama was elected...