Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Do schools still have class rings, letter jackets, and hardbound printed yearbooks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't remember exactly where, but I think we spent several pages on the topic earlier in the thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899855&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post502144974 starts here, though there's a few posts leading into it about the who's who of american high school students and some related weirdnesses

hexwren fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 30, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Do schools still have class rings, letter jackets, and hardbound printed yearbooks?

yes

jostens hustles for that class ring money harder every year because fewer and fewer kids go for it, but the other two are still very prominent.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just googled it and I still don't fully understand what a "smartboard" is. It's just a big screen you can write on like a tablet, right?

We didn't even have whiteboards when I was a lad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's just a board connected to an overhead projector. The board has some touch sensitivity sou you can write on it and such with software.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I just googled it and I still don't fully understand what a "smartboard" is. It's just a big screen you can write on like a tablet, right?

We didn't even have whiteboards when I was a lad.

Some are just giant tablets. Some are e-ink style drawing surfaces with special "marker" styluses.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Some of the styluses look extremely similar to permanent markers, ask me how I know.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Jazerus posted:

jostens hustles for that class ring money harder every year because fewer and fewer kids go for it, but the other two are still very prominent.
Jesus.

I generally enjoyed high school but even in 1991 I thought rings were a tremendous waste of money.

I'm genuinely shocked that they're still a thing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cheesus posted:

Jesus.

I generally enjoyed high school but even in 1991 I thought rings were a tremendous waste of money.

I'm genuinely shocked that they're still a thing.

I graduated in 1981 and got a cheap metal (Siladium!) ring for $95 (about $288 today). I still have it in a box somewhere. My classmates all got gold rings $300+ or $900 today) and most of them lost theirs within a year.

I actually ordered mine from a local jeweler and got it long before the rest of the class who ordered from Jostens. Some didn't get theirs until the summer after graduation.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Joan posted:

Oh. that is what I meant, yeah

I gotta say, lol for unintentionally being super meta in this thread

(I remember the other sort of overhead projector :corsair:)

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

My Lovely Horse posted:

Some of the styluses look extremely similar to permanent markers, ask me how I know.

In college (in the dark ages of 20 years ago), I attended classes in a brand new building that had just opened and had the walls painted with "whiteboard paint" where you could draw on the walls directly with erasable markers. Only the wall facing the class was painted that way.

My calculus professor did not realize that and proceeded to draw a wall full of equations on a wall that could not be erased.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Letter jackets have fallen out of popularity. I tried to get my daughter one, but she wouldn’t go for it. Few kids at her school went for them. Same with class rings.

I think coronavirus is going to kill some of these old standbys. Most were running on momentum anyway and now they’ve been interrupted for two years. Why do I need a yearbook to remember my classmates by when I’ve got their Instagrams? Used to be you graduated and immediately lost touch with 75% of your friends. Now you can easily watch them become shitheads on Facebook.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Do graduating high schoolers still get bombarded with those "who's who in American high school book" ads? I thought they were obviously a scam but filling out the form to get your name in them was free so I did that without buying any, thinking that some hiring manager somewhere might possibly see it and be influenced positively. Of course in retrospect I'm skeptical that has ever actually happened to anyone.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I remember thinking the class rings were weird because everyone just got whatever they wanted. There was no "standard" design for everyone in the class to have. Having a common ring was a tradition before right? Or was my school just kind of dumb?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Guy Axlerod posted:

I remember thinking the class rings were weird because everyone just got whatever they wanted. There was no "standard" design for everyone in the class to have. Having a common ring was a tradition before right? Or was my school just kind of dumb?

Most schools have a deal with Josten's or Balfour where they probably get kickbacks for pushing their overpriced crap.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Obviously I’m biased since I’m older.

But, even if I disliked high school, I really liked having a leather bound yearbook with film black and white photos.

I guess the idea of pictures looking old may change over the next few decades.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Cracker King posted:

Obviously I’m biased since I’m older.

But, even if I disliked high school, I really liked having a leather bound yearbook with film black and white photos.

I guess the idea of pictures looking old may change over the next few decades.

I've long since lost my yearbooks. I didn't even get the last one because it was delayed quite a ways into the next year and I never bothered to go back and get it.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I've long since lost my yearbooks. I didn't even get the last one because it was delayed quite a ways into the next year and I never bothered to go back and get it.

The only reason I ever look at my yearbooks is to prove to people that I went to school with both Zac Efron and someone whose name was "Chewbacca Yoda Ramirez".

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I graduated in 1998. I told my parents multiple times not to buy me a class ring, that I wouldn't wear it, didn't want it, didn't care about it, didn't want to remember high school, etc. They thought I would regret it or change my mind someday, and bought it anyway. 23 years later I can say that I was right, and I have no idea where it even is. I cannot even imagine a bitch so basic they would wear a high school class ring after graduation. In my experience the only people who are proud of what they did in high school or remember the actual school experience fondly are the people who peaked in high school. For everyone else, high school was at best an ambivalent experience and at worst the nadir of their adult lives from which everything afterward represented an improvement.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 30, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Why do I need a yearbook to remember my classmates by when I’ve got their Instagrams? Used to be you graduated and immediately lost touch with 75% of your friends. Now you can easily watch them become shitheads on Facebook.

A printed book is the ideal format for something you'll want to crack open maybe every five to ten years, when you get into an unusually nostalgic mood.

It doesn't depend on any third party to keep maintaining the servers for decades. You don't need to keep track of any login credentials. You don't need to figure out how to read ancient computer media or file formats. It's complete, even including the people who were smart enough to stay the hell away from social media. It's been frozen in time, with no updates or new info to show you what shitheads everyone has become -- it's still just photos and some signatures of people that you vaguely recall, wishing you a kick-rear end summer.

And if someday you decide to destroy it as a symbolic act of freeing yourself from the most miserable time in your life? Tossing a book into a bonfire is much more cathartic than removing some social media contacts.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I don't know if I still have my class ring. Really, it was good for a half day or something, so who cares. But I never had school pride or anything like that, and thought people who did were kind of weird.

Granted, I went to a Catholic highschool, which I loving hated.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Class rings are not a thing here. Seems weird to me.

Yearbooks are a bit of fun though. I still have mine.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
It always struck me as a little odd that class rings aren’t pitched to freshmen instead of seniors. Like, I could see a bunch of fourteen year olds thinking it’s cool as gently caress to wear a class ring around, but by the time you’re a senior, chances are really good you’re actively planning your exit from caring about high school ever again.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Everyone used to LOVE yearbooks in the past. Beyond even High School. I’ve got my father’s 1968 Army basic training yearbook. Instead of stuff like marching band and drama you had activities like...

I’ve also got my grandfather’s Lockheed employee yearbook. Guess what it’s full of? A bunch of identical looking White guys.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

High school mattered a lot more when fewer people went to college. I'm honestly surprised class rings have lasted this long, but I guess they're really marketed to parents.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’ve also got my grandfather’s Lockheed employee yearbook. Guess what it’s full of? A bunch of identical looking White guys.

I can hear them referring jovially to each other by last names and smoking in the office.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My college ring (came from the local jeweler, not Jostens) was a flat gold signet with the college crest engraved on it. I still wear it, because signet rings are nifty, and because you don't know what it is unless you look very closely indeed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I can hear them referring jovially to each other by last names and smoking in the office.
"Morning, Pierce!"
"Morning, Pierce, haha! Is Pierce around yet?"
"Haven't seen Pierce yet, Pierce!"
"Well when you see Pierce, say Pierce said hello!"
"Hahaha, I will!"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Imagined posted:

I graduated in 1998. I told my parents multiple times not to buy me a class ring, that I wouldn't wear it, didn't want it, didn't care about it, didn't want to remember high school, etc. They thought I would regret it or change my mind someday, and bought it anyway. 23 years later I can say that I was right, and I have no idea where it even is. I cannot even imagine a bitch so basic they would wear a high school class ring after graduation. In my experience the only people who are proud of what they did in high school or remember the actual school experience fondly are the people who peaked in high school. For everyone else, high school was at best an ambivalent experience and at worst the nadir of their adult lives from which everything afterward represented an improvement.

Same, except I'm like 5 years younger than you. My mother was insistent on it, to the point where I was getting in trouble for not selecting which extracurriculars I wanted on it.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I still have my yearbook from Basic Training in 1981. I don't have my high school yearbook.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

MightyJoe36 posted:

I still have my yearbook from Basic Training in 1981. I don't have my high school yearbook.

drat dude, more like MightyJoe66. :corsair:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I have a yearbook from my B.Ed but whoever put it together never bothered putting names in, so it's just rows of pictures of people, most of whom I didn't know at all unless I had classes with them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m glad I have my yearbooks because every two or three years I’ll remember some weirdo and be like “that loving guy! God drat, what was his name again?”

Then I look at my driver’s license I go to the storage unit and pull out my yearbook and get rid of that nagging feeling of being unable to remember who used to fall asleep and tip his chair over at 1pm every day in French class.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Powered Descent posted:

A printed book is the ideal format for something you'll want to crack open maybe every five to ten years, when you get into an unusually nostalgic mood.

It doesn't depend on any third party to keep maintaining the servers for decades. You don't need to keep track of any login credentials. You don't need to figure out how to read ancient computer media or file formats. It's complete, even including the people who were smart enough to stay the hell away from social media. It's been frozen in time, with no updates or new info to show you what shitheads everyone has become -- it's still just photos and some signatures of people that you vaguely recall, wishing you a kick-rear end summer.

And if someday you decide to destroy it as a symbolic act of freeing yourself from the most miserable time in your life? Tossing a book into a bonfire is much more cathartic than removing some social media contacts.

Yeah this but for photographs in general. If you want them to actually last, get them printed by a photo lab.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Never heard of high school rings. Only ever heard of rings for snobby-rear end colleges, and that was mainly for showing off/conversation piece. Or maybe it was one of the only acceptable ways for a man to wear jewelry. My high school was small enough that we never got contacted by anyone trying to sell us; my whole graduating class fit easily on the folded single-page program.

Has anyone here ever seen a physical face book?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Krispy Wafer posted:

When I figured out how to make my own transparencies I became a golden god (at presentations at least).

It was a fun trick. The only real trick being sweet talking the librarian into giving you some printable transparency sheets for free.

I’m fairly young by SA standards (29, experienced plenty of overhead projectors in my life tho) and I used to sweet talk a bored high school librarian into doing all the physical labor of putting together my tri-fold poster boards; I assume those are basically extinct outside of, like, maybe science fairs, which could well be dead as well?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Cobalt-60 posted:

Never heard of high school rings. Only ever heard of rings for snobby-rear end colleges, and that was mainly for showing off/conversation piece. Or maybe it was one of the only acceptable ways for a man to wear jewelry. My high school was small enough that we never got contacted by anyone trying to sell us; my whole graduating class fit easily on the folded single-page program.

My wife went to a rural high school where the entire graduating class was 30 people. Meanwhile my high school had to use the local minor league sports arena for our graduation ceremony.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cobalt-60 posted:

Has anyone here ever seen a physical face book?
Yup. My college handed them out. My roommate got invitations to host party freshman week because she looked so good in her face book (what it was called) photo.

However, I'm 61...

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

We got gently caress off sized rings at the Service Academies. Basically from large to Super Bowl ring sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Slimy Hog posted:

The only reason I ever look at my yearbooks is to prove to people that I went to school with both Zac Efron and someone whose name was "Chewbacca Yoda Ramirez".

Holy poo poo, that's awesome. What was he like? (Of course I'm referring to Chewbacca)