Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

peanut- posted:

Cav made the time cut with 90 seconds to spare.

That's called sprinting to the finish line baby :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I sometimes wish they kept a camera bike with the grupetto for a stages like yesterday.

I want to see just how batshit those sprinters went down that mountain.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Nic Dlamini rode all the way in 40 minutes outside time after crashing because he didn't want to just climb into a car and stop riding the Tour de France

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
A lot of the broomwagon guys get pushed up the climbs by fans too, when i was at the tour a line of dutch fans pushed kenny van hummel almost all the way through multiple switchbacks at verbier, he barely made the time cut iirc

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That owns.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kenny van Hummel made Cipollini look like Fausto Coppi, he owned

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serious gaylord posted:

I sometimes wish they kept a camera bike with the grupetto for a stages like yesterday.

I want to see just how batshit those sprinters went down that mountain.

Imagine Ventoux :sickos:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Enric Mass posted:

He didn't go all-out, as he can do at times. We [his rivals] were all thinking about the podium, and he just moved away as if we didn't exist. We made a mistake of not trying to follow, we shouldn't have let him get more time, but we were a bit scared that he would do what he did the day before

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mas-pogacar-rode-away-from-us-at-the-tour-de-france-as-if-we-didnt-exist/

De Gendt posted:

I rode one of my best ten-minute efforts ever at the start [of stage 8]. Those values have been recorded since 2013," De Gendt told Sporza before setting off for a grim day in the saddle towards Tignes.

Normally, with those values, I can ride the whole peloton to pieces. Here, I was 100 metres behind in a group of 70 riders – and I started from the front row. When you're not in the peloton after that it's clear that the general level is just much higher.

I pushed my numbers in the breakaway only I finished 28 minutes down. But I feel as tired as I do after I've been in a breakaway," he said.

"One day, the day has to come when the young riders are better, but they have done it very suddenly. Normally it's gradual but now they have suddenly taken over everything and push the older ones to the back.

"I can't improve. If they race too fast, then I have to accept that. I can try and hope for a super day, but if it's not there then it's not there.
I have to draw my conclusions, finish my contract, and then it's time for something else," he said. "If they are better, then so be it. I'm 34 now and will be 36 at the end of my contract. I won't suddenly improve another five per cent unless I engage in 'wrong things', but I won't do that.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/de-gendt-its-clear-that-the-general-level-is-just-much-higher-at-the-tour-de-france/

De Gendt and Mass just being pretty brutal.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dang, TdG pulling no punches.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I do find it interesting that TDG is talking about the whole peloton and not just Pogacar/Bahrain. Things really seemed to get wacky last year (the tour, Ineos at the Giro, probably some other crap I'm forgetting)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A handful more TT and classics riders suddenly became high grade mountain domestiques. But that's been happening for years now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m trying to think of a joke about Mas’ mass but I’m coming up short.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Watching the Movistar Netflix doc makes me almost believe in Sky/Ineos pulling 5% performance improvements out of ‘marginal gains’ with the amount of disfunction and amateurishness on show there.

I guess now on top of more professionalism in teams we’re also seeing the result of years of people digging around and measuring the capacities in the youth ranks for kids with mad vo2 max and recovery etc.

Or it’s just a fantastic new Slovenian doping programme.

(Also funny moment in the Movistar doc when they’re in the team bus and riders are coming in end of the stage and they all find out Pog put 2mins into Roglic in the time trial and the looks they all give each other)

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
That TdG quote is really something. It's obvious what he's saying in the first few paras but then in the last one he basically yells it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

StarkingBarfish posted:

That TdG quote is really something. It's obvious what he's saying in the first few paras but then in the last one he basically yells it.

Stage 8 was a De Gendt stage, so much so that he was one of the favourites to win it at the bookies and several commentators picks. I remember watching him try to attack, get a tiny gap and absolutely drill it. Then he got caught, tried 2 or so more times then went out the back.

He's right that it wasn't long ago that if he went into the break the GC teams would just let it go because they knew they'd kill themselves bringing him back.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
It is not easy to age gracefully.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Xabi posted:

It is not easy to age gracefully.

I don't think it's age unless his PM is broken

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Vando posted:

I don't think it's age unless his PM is broken

It's a real possibility. Power meters have quite a bit of variability especially if you are going 10 years back. He should post the actual numbers.

In other news pogacar revealed that he had three doping controls the day of his big mountain stage.

Edit. I guess TDG did post the numbers: https://www.strava.com/activities/5569043643/power-curve/600

461 watts for 10 minutes is impressive for a 155lb rider, but is it going to ride the pro peleton 'to pieces' :shrug:

Withnail fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 6, 2021

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Cav was interviewed by ITV just now and he's just great :shobon: Was saying he's in awe of these young riders and how lucky they are to be coming up together, and how he's not built for climbing and hates every second of it.

e: Pog saying he had 3 controls, 2 before and one after.

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 6, 2021

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/petercossins/status/1412359969765314561?s=20

lmao

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
lol how did he not know that in advance?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh Pierre.

Best some of those Pog samples go into the long term storage locker. Just to be sure.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
ITV commentators pretending they know about wine

Carrier
May 12, 2009

cav is way too likeable

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
His photographic memory of every stage he's ridden and what everyone else was doing is super impressive.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

StarkingBarfish posted:

His photographic memory of every stage he's ridden and what everyone else was doing is super impressive.

The fact he lives in essex with his former page 3 model wife makes you think he's a bit thick but he's actually a very sweet cycling autist who cries every tiem

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's a cycling wolverine. A small man who's the best at what he does, and what he does isn't very nice.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I hope the weather gets nicer as they get further south, I'm bored of looking at grey and raining France.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

peanut- posted:

I hope the weather gets nicer as they get further south, I'm bored of looking at grey and raining France.

Apparently 30 degrees for deux ventoux.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Much calmer today.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Rip Pedersen

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think he's crashed more days than he hasn't.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Every few stages I am reminded that Simon Yates is in the race and am surprised again.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Happy birthday now go loving kill yourself on the climb

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I am enjoying the daily ritual of Colbrelli making Michael Matthews look poo poo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They pushed for that. I don't think Cav gave a poo poo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bahrain’s got a new nutrition sponsor so that explains everything

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It must be great paying Sagan €5m a year to not even try and sprint

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe this is the year he slumps out of all contention. I thought it was going to be last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ooh nice blue train