Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The Vuelta is going to be great, with Pogacar and Bernal.

Because the Tour and Giro were really boring from a GC standpoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

They're going to sprint the last 100m and Pog will look like he's on a training ride.

:hmmyes:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
My stream is behind, I'm at 2km out but pog just looks like he hasn't a care in the world.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i loved Mas doing a turn and Pogacar being like "what the hell was that"

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I think he could just go do ride that again at the same pace lol

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Lol Mas how poo poo must he be feeling after Pog just dunks on his attack

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Hah, I like Pog's celebrate no wait are they catching up? nah, celebrate.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Superior Slovenian Sauce.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Cav made it with 7 minutes to spare.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Basically an eternity.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Komet posted:

The Vuelta is going to be great, with Pogacar and Bernal.

Because the Tour and Giro were really boring from a GC standpoint

Bernal struggled in the back half of the Giro, he looked tired and human - he doesn't seem like he would be a threat to T-1000 Pogacar at all based on his Giro performance.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I just want to see Roglic in top form again :(

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I just saw the top 3 on PCS and did an extreme double-take. It is happening again dot gif and so on

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Withnail posted:

Keeping an eye on Pogacar. I think he's been in the mix a lately and he was crushing it at the end of last year.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That was a pretty good call!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really didn't predict how horrible Ineos would be tbh

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Bit of a poo poo last 2 weeks given how fun the first week was tbh.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah that'll happen when someone beats the field by four minutes or something. Still a fun tour, thought it was more interesting than the last one which was way too controlled.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

The chateaux have been nice. And isnt that what really matters

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It says a lot that I am more excited about tomorrows finish than I was todays.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Compared to tours where the gaps in the GC were closer so one team sat on the front of every mountain stage I like this one better. Compare to the Sky/Ineos train where there's 90 seconds between the top 5 but 3 and 4 were domestiques for the leader. At least a bunch of breakaways have succeeded.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Design of the last two stages was poor too. Flat start makes it harder for a quality group to get away and force a hard chase like in the Alps. Stages with an early climb in the start or at least the first half are much cooler but for some reason the Tour is obsessed with that "flat start, two HC climbs to finish" parcours

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

qirex posted:

Compared to tours where the gaps in the GC were closer so one team sat on the front of every mountain stage I like this one better. Compare to the Sky/Ineos train where there's 90 seconds between the top 5 but 3 and 4 were domestiques for the leader. At least a bunch of breakaways have succeeded.
Yeah, at the start of this tour the thought of another three weeks of Bineos had me seriously considering not watching anything but a few highlights.
Despite the fact that the top-10 is as wide as it's been in decades, we've had more interesting individual stages, especially throughout the earlier parts of the stages too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

qirex posted:

Yeah the biggest problem imo is that when the GC is close I think people get really defensive because losing 45 seconds will drop you from 2nd to 12th or something. I like an early TT to open things up.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also it doesn't hurt that there's now a new young Danish GC contender that's entered the scene. :denmark:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
COME PLAY WITH US

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

qirex posted:

Agree with this. The last few stages have been quite interesting in the final few kms because noone is competing for yellow but there's been competition for the other podium spots. It has been dull in parts but the fact that it's a different dynamic to previous years means different tactics from the teams which has kept it fresh.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Design of the last two stages was poor too. Flat start makes it harder for a quality group to get away and force a hard chase like in the Alps. Stages with an early climb in the start or at least the first half are much cooler but for some reason the Tour is obsessed with that "flat start, two HC climbs to finish" parcours

Also agree with this though. All the action has been happening much later in the stages giving less time for interesting chases.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think the flat start thing was to try to get more meaningful sprints on mountain stages so Sagan couldn't get all the points but it turns out that wasn't necessary, they just needed Caleb Ewan.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
They have flat starts so the publicity caravan can parade around throwing out branded poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

qirex posted:

I think the flat start thing was to try to get more meaningful sprints on mountain stages so Sagan couldn't get all the points but it turns out that wasn't necessary, they just needed Caleb Ewan.

Misread your post but yeah you barely see this kind of sprint point anymore

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 16, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

It was Movistar who phoned it in. They're not even top 5 on team ranking, jeez.

StarkingBarfish posted:

Cav made it with 7 minutes to spare.

If Declercq drops out, we could see Cav be Lantern Rouge and Green Jersey and 35 wins in the same tour.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
One last De Gendt breakaway, please! :pray:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Such a tiny gap, and it's not smoothly growing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How does he always get the hair poking out of his helmet so perfectly?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Guess Cav's not winning today with that break.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The break nicely kills off the points. Paris in green for 35 would be plenty good enough.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
nice mossy chateau

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

What a dud of a stage. The commentators on the stream I'm watching are chatting about accounting.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

At least it’s spicing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Via the guardian live feed:

Following Wednesday’s stage 17, Philippe Gilbert (Lotto
Soudal) was riding back down the Col de Portet, when he saw a cyclo-tourist lose it on a corner and crash into a ravine. Gilbert, along with Chris Froome and Chris Juul-Jensen, stopped to help and to raise the alarm.

“I lost almost twenty minutes to help this man! We called for help because he was still badly messed up,” Gilbert told Belgian broadcaster RTBF, via cyclingnews.com.

Fair play.