Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

algebra testes posted:

Just like that London Olympic event they should make this a regular event, maybe shorten it a bit.

The Tory cunts in Surrey have cried enough that it's cancelled, or at least the sportive is.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

The Tory cunts in Surrey have cried enough that it's cancelled, or at least the sportive is.

No the race is gone too. Couldnt put up with 12 hours of not being able to drive on all the back roads.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
At least Japan isn't a country filled with Anglos, and that bodes well for the future of cycling there.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I was pretty amazed at how visible road cycling was when I visited there. The shops were really nicely decked out and all the riders I saw were in team kits usually too.

Route was pretty nice I thought, would like to try that last climb.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I think Wout has a silver medal in literally everything now

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Also I learned today that Japan is the home to the most amazing form of cycling races

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keirin

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Both the Keirin they do at worlds/the olympics and the one they do in Japan are rad as hell, but they're a bit different.

Watch both if you can.

Track has so many cool events. Elimination, Keirin, team pursuit, and the kilo are probably my favorite.

Kilo is kind of boring to watch but I'm fascinated by the training.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, I’ve never really been interested in track cycling (not that I’ve been interested road cycling for so many years either), but I’ll definitely try to watch some during the olympics.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

It's very jarring to see cyclists with muscles.

Skyfire
Jul 2, 2004

oh yes

https://twitter.com/Greghenderson1/status/228879624074059777

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Goddamn 9 year old memes are a blast from the past hey. I have just withered into dust.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I unironically support this idea

https://twitter.com/cxhairs/status/1418861881184473089?s=21

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Absolutely nothing of the sort, since I'm like 99.9% sure the whole thing was just a GVA affectation that he somehow got away with

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Apparently it was the sponsors who insisted on it.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Lol my wife was volunteering at London 2012 and forstermans team mates were complaining his thighs were too massive and so couldn't increase his cadence

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Smirr posted:

Absolutely nothing of the sort, since I'm like 99.9% sure the whole thing was just a GVA affectation that he somehow got away with

look, do you want Carapaz to get marked out of every race or not?

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 25, 2021

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Smirr posted:

Nah Samu Sanchez wore his every race

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Smirr posted:

Ah, what the heck - I'm happy for Carapaz!

I'm ok with this as long as he isn't riding for Binios.

And on that note, the nbcolympics replay giving me a Cologuard ad right after showing Quintana made me giggle. :v:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Womens race has leant so hard on the dutch that theres a decent chance the break wins. 9 minute lead with 70km to go.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I only turned on 15 minutes ago but Boardman was saying the Dutch haven’t done any work?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also van Vleuten’s crash was a bit embarrassing honestly. How do you not avoid that?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

I only turned on 15 minutes ago but Boardman was saying the Dutch haven’t done any work?

The rest of the peloton are refusing to work until they do. 61km to go and still 9 minutes last I saw.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Do they have any idea how far ahead the break are? I know there are no radios but do the commisaires show a board or anything?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Heliosicle posted:

Do they have any idea how far ahead the break are? I know there are no radios but do the commisaires show a board or anything?

Yeah they get chalkboard time gaps and the bikes can tell them. They are aware the break is still so far ahead, just the Dutch tactic is attack and get away and everyone else is going to follow. They don't have a single rider who will just go on the front.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This series of rotating attacks by solo Dutch riders is quite a weird tactic for closing a 9 minute gap.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is just top level womens racing though. The difference in ability between riders is massive so the usual tactic is attack, take the strong riders with you and ride to the finish. Then one of them goes off the front and the rest argue about chasing them down.

I've never seen a Tim Declerq type sat on the front bringing a break back.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
AVV not exactly crushing the gap to the break

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

AVV not exactly crushing the gap to the break

Don't worry the break has decided to detonate itself for no fuckin reason.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Looking at the profile there's not much to slow the front rider(s) down til the end, the gap isn't coming down much now either.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Heliosicle posted:

Looking at the profile there's not much to slow the front rider(s) down til the end, the gap isn't coming down much now either.

Idiocy will slow them down. 3 riders were keeping ahead of her and the gap had stabilised, now its 1 vs 1.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

IF the time gaps are accurate, it looks like this won't stick

e: well what do you know, both gaps moved 10 seconds in opposite directions again

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Bet it's a bit toasty in a spaceman suit

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

Bet it's a bit toasty in a spaceman suit

Probably got air con tbf.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I like that the Japanese seem to shout allez allez.

Kiesenhofer got this if she doesn’t bonk I guess.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That gap isn't changing

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

That gap isn't changing

Break still might get all 3 medals.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Dutch just haven’t done any work to close the break while AVV hangs 30 seconds off the front of the peloton for 40km, that’s very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Kiesenhofer has a PhD in mathematics. That's pretty cool