Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

yates, vanhoucke, and pozzovivo still in a group further back. but the rest of the gc riders are in back in the main group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

They're letting them back.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Good lad, the proper time to attack.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

gruppo compatto!

just in time for it all to kick off again after the sprint.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 9, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crowds in the road on the run in to a possible contested sprint.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

big crash.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

People worried about the Stelvio, this lot can't handle a completely straight motorway.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Smallish crash, big blockage.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bit dull now. Proper transfer stage looking.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

That wasn't even a contest

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Quite a bit of argy bargy leading into that final sprint.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Demare has looked a different class.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The look on sagans face when he realised he wasn't even close

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pity we didn't get to see him in the Tour, racing against Ewan and Bennett would have been good fun

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I for one am glad that the bad (now good??) Frenchman that I don't like is winning literally all of the stages I couldn't watch

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

It wasn't a great stage. Some incidents, but nothing excessively exciting. A few teams may have burned out some more domestiques than they expected to today.

Also, Yates still rides like a tactical idiot.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Kanye West - Touch the Sky

Stage 9 is going to be The Good poo poo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Simon Yates has The Covid and has been withdrawn

(So that explains that I guess)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Simon Yates has The Covid and has been withdrawn

(So that explains that I guess)

That should be the race over then since he was rolling through neutral zones yesterday and the day before and has clearly been ill for a week.

Bonkers if they try to say hes the only guy with it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ruh ro

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

That should be the race over then since he was rolling through neutral zones yesterday and the day before and has clearly been ill for a week.

Bonkers if they try to say hes the only guy with it.

Agreed, op, but given that M-S are going to be allowed to race...

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004

Fun Shoe

Itís the Giro, mask up and carry on.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Okay so there is no way they can now keep Covid under control for the remaining two weeks is there? I'm sure they might impotently try but this is basically the massively crowded events of early march in sports form right?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ehhhh sort of. Outdoor transmission rates are super low, and it seems that most people who catch it don't actually pass it on to many people. If the pattern of transmission from NZ is typical, it's dominated by "super spreader" events, where one person infects dozens, rather than each person infecting 2-3.

I still think the race should be cancelled, or at the very least M-S withdrawn even with negative tests, but it's entirely possible that the chances of it spreading further are very low.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

how often are the riders being tested at the giro. is it like the tour where it was pre race and then rest days? obviously it should be daily.

i think people generally aren't infectious before the titres are high enough to trigger a positive test. so they might get lucky with the timing, though if they only tested him after he developed a fever probably not.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

HappyCamperGL posted:

how often are the riders being tested at the giro. is it like the tour where it was pre race and then rest days? obviously it should be daily.

i think people generally aren't infectious before the titres are high enough to trigger a positive test. so they might get lucky with the timing, though if they only tested him after he developed a fever probably not.

The issue is they have clearly tested him because he was unwell, which means they aren't doing daily testing or this would have flagged up earlier. He rode a very good time trial then just absolutely died on the first hilly stage.

I believe they will be doing mass testing like the tour, but by that point we've gone 5 days with Mitchelton Scott/Everyone Yates was in the grupetto with potentially spreading it everywhere.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I don't think any race organizers will cancel races (unless there's an absolutely massive outbreak, I guess). External cancellations as happened with the Binck Bonck Tour and Paris-Roubaix: yes. "Holy poo poo, this is irresponsible of us": no.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

If only we could cancel the white race

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

oliwan posted:

If only we could cancel the white race

The most irresponsible race of 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

I want to be one of
those madmen

Griefor posted:

The most irresponsible race of 2020

or indeed any year

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

"Manfredonia" has got to be the least aesthetic place name in Italy, apart from all the German ones

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Smirr posted:

"Manfredonia" has got to be the least aesthetic place name in Italy, apart from all the German ones

This guy founded it

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Here's my impression of today's stage: crash, piss, crash, piss, crashhhh

e: oh I guess there was also Stevie's combination mechanical + piss break

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chill looking.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Love to be a sub-region corresponding to the mountain promontory of the same name

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thrilling racing. Needs someone in the breakaway to decide they want a long-ish one.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Nice rock formations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

They just mentioned on German Eurosport that the breakaway is not super far away from being able to lap the peloton on the final lap, or at least for the two groups to interact. So this is what I'm rooting for. Also for Dowsett to not win because that was Wiggo's call

e: although I guess they'd need closer to 20 minutes. Whatever. Make it so

Smirr fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 10, 2020

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Love to be the eight coastal tower in the territory of the so-called Capitanata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Dowsett got this.