Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
galangalalgol 4 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Physical buttons outperform touchscreens in new ca...

Yes! I want a car interface designed by whoever is responsible for vim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

galangalalgol 4 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Physical buttons outperform touchscreens in new ca...

Who doesn't love when you hit the brakes but nothing happens because you're in insert mode

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
"nice car, how do i get out"

"i dunno either"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

"nice car, how do i get out"

"i dunno either"
That already exists, it's a tesla (if you're in the rear seats and the electronics stop working)

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Mr.Radar posted:

what the gently caress are they envisioning with this

mystes
May 31, 2006

man in the eyeball hat posted:

what the gently caress are they envisioning with this
I would like to think it's a joke but honestly who knows

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

vehicles improved

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr.Radar posted:

this is such a tragic comment on so many levels

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
someone tell Bill Joy to design a car with Tim Thompson and Bram Moolenaar

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

dude would love the tesla rear doors after an accident, very vim-like

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
beep beep
here I come in my emacs car

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Neon Noodle posted:

beep beep

Hey can you open the gas tank

*cracks knuckles, starts doing stretches*

matti
Mar 31, 2019

hahaha

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Neon Noodle posted:

beep beep

:swoon:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

re: fraudulent transactions on debit vs credit cards:

magicalhippo 3 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Can the Visa-Mastercard duopoly be broken?

> With credit cards the disputed charges will still decrease your credit limit, no? So the functional difference is much smaller than you think.

And unlike a credit card, it's easy to vary the risk/limit with a debit card. Just keep the main funds on a separate, non-card accound, and transfer to the debit card account as needed.

I usually keep around $200 on my debit card, which means I lose at most $200. This way I also get a sense of my spending in terms of how often I have to transfer.

If I need to pay for more, I just transfer before paying. Takes me about 2 seconds with an SMS or through the bank app.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 19, 2022

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

re: fraudulent transactions on debit vs credit cards:

magicalhippo 3 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Can the Visa-Mastercard duopoly be broken?

> With credit cards the disputed charges will still decrease your credit limit, no? So the functional difference is much smaller than you think.

And unlike a credit card, it's easy to vary the risk/limit with a debit card. Just keep the main funds on a separate, non-card accound, and transfer to the debit card account as needed.

I usually keep around $200 on my debit card, which means I lose at most $200. This way I also get a sense of my spending in terms of how often I have to transfer.

If I need to pay for more, I just transfer before paying. Takes me about 2 seconds with an SMS or through the bank app.

Is this bad? I do this. I pay with a Visa Electron and put money on the account it uses as needed.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

It just seems extremely complicated compared to, you know, just using a credit card where you can dispute the transaction before any cash is withdrawn from your bank account. Also in the US you'd likely be hit by overdraft fees if you accidentally overspent on the debit card, and if the card is stolen you may be liable for those fees even if the transaction that incurred them was fraudulent.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 19, 2022

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

It just seems extremely complicated compared to, you know, just using a credit card where you can dispute the transaction before any cash is withdrawn from your bank account. Also in the US you'd likely be hit by overdraft fees if you accidentally overspent on the debit card, and if the card is stolen you may be liable for those fees even if the transaction that incurred them was fraudulent.

I just don't like credit. I'm an idiot so it's best to just only use money I have. And like the poster said it's super easy to just transfer money with a few taps. And the Visa Electron cannot be overdrawn because the balance is always verified on purchase.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

quote:

paskozdilar 2 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

> I once interviewed a candidate[1] who had printed off a whole list like this and insisted on grinding through the whole thing. It was weirdly offputting, but he was such a monster programmer that he was already a clear hire. It gave an insight into the thoroughness of his nature though and showed that he was absolutely perfect for the (critical) role we were hiring him for where mistakes were extremely costly.

Would you share some more information on what kind of role it was? And what kind of qualities would you look for when hiring someone for that kind of position?

I aspire to work in such role (where pedantry is appreciated, instead of tolerated) one day, and I'd be grateful for any such information or hints.

"I aspire to work in a role where pedantry is appreciated" is the most honest post I've ever seen on HN.

mystes
May 31, 2006

tracecomplete posted:

"I aspire to work in a role where pedantry is appreciated" is the most honest post I've ever seen on HN.
hn thread: I aspire to work in a role where pedantry is appreciated

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mystes posted:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

mystes posted:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

mystes posted:

mods?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
thanks mods

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

“why do these applicants always use age of consent in their examples of pedantry and nuance?”

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

blobbers 7 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

The age of downloading content to your device is largely dead mon frère!
It's sad, because things like the despecialized editions of certain "Disney" movies will never see large scale distribution.
The world of bit torrent + the world of copyright / residual payments doesn't seem to meld well.
If they made a player that was "legal" and any content you played would pay residuals back to the creator, they could just normalize views and make it fully "not for profit". Seeders would be purely altruistic. You would pay for the residuals you watched, and there would be no middle men making billions (NFLX making 1.5B per quarter).
Side note: Is sesame street highly pirated? Are you really looking forward to more seeders of sesame street? ... why???

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Hacker News Official API (github.com/hackernews)
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=32540883

O__________O 1 hour ago | prev | next [–]

Wish API would show comment votes instead of only showing them up until 8 years ago when displaying them was turned off on the main site. Aside from allowing users to enable them via their on interface, do analysis, etc — it broke HN’s comment search based on comment popularity.
Related:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=32535637

metadat 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]

What difference would exposing counts make? Why should this data be mineable?
We're already helping to create a training set of slightly above average English speaker discourse for free.

O__________O 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

If it was up to me, all data would be publicly available aside from emergency recovery email and password.
This would include mod commutations and mod logs; unless it was security related, which would have a formal process with deadlines for release.
—-
To address you specific question as why the comment voting data would be of use, among other reasons, it would allow users to have custom filters. For example, posts and comments with high up/down votes tend to be flamewars. Mods also random boost/ding posts/comments too.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

That dude is like one or two steps away from reinventing Slahsdot's (terrible) moderation system. HN definitely has problems but keeping the upvote count hidden is not one of them.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

fritz posted:

blobbers 7 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

The age of downloading content to your device is largely dead mon frère!
It's sad, because things like the despecialized editions of certain "Disney" movies will never see large scale distribution.

gee i wonder why this person cares about preserving the original versions of some specific Disney movies

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Plorkyeran posted:

gee i wonder why this person cares about preserving the original versions of some specific Disney movies

Since "Disney" was in quotes I think he just means Star Wars

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

systemvoltage 2 days ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context | flag | vouch | favorite | on: Cloudflare Pressured to Drop Kiwi Farms After Late...

I wish to some day live in a world where we use the established judicial system that offers right to jury and a trial to the worst scum of the planet. It is their right to defend themselves. gently caress social justice, it is equally morally corrupt and frankly, terrifying. We're eroding society by allowing mob lynching equivalent of 17th century on the internet. "Private business, so they can censor as they wish" is getting too old. We need proper laws to keep ideology away from corporations. Today it is convenient because it is siding with your political ideology, tomorrow, it won't be.

systemvoltage 4 hours ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Things people blamed on bicycles

I hate cycling (bicycling). Hate every aspect of it. There are ways for me to get healthy but I always prefer driving over cycling.
The benefits are tremendous and not even close:
- Faster for most of America, unless you're in places such as Manhattan.
- Can use normal clothes, no need to specially dress up for it
- Can enjoy beverages, music and audiobooks, you can do that on a bicycle but not as safe
- Better quality of air to breathe
- Not going to get stolen
- Not going to get robbed
- Much much safer, modern automobiles are riduculously safe
- Better for the knees
- No need to worry about weather. Flip of a switch and it is awesome, instant heat or cold
- Luxury vehicles are incredibly comfortable
- Cost of cars + insurance + fuel is not a problem for me
- I really don't care about energy consumption, I am not going to give up modern QoL for some ostensible collectivist goal like cycling or eating bugs. We have unlimited source of energy (Sun), we're going to be fine in the future
- Much more fun (subjective). I love driving, especially manual transmision cars and performance cars with great suspension

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

xupybd 2 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

I often find people mistake the Socratic method with sealioning. Sometimes to argue a topic you have to ask a series of questions first to find out from what axioms the person is reasoning. It's highly unproductive when people start pulling out the term sealioning instead of actually exploring the ideas they are advocating. Because of that I'm not a fan of the term.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hn thread: We have unlimited source of energy (Sun)

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

fritz posted:

systemvoltage 2 days ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context | flag | vouch | favorite | on: Cloudflare Pressured to Drop Kiwi Farms After Late...

I wish to some day live in a world where we use the established judicial system that offers right to jury and a trial to the worst scum of the planet. It is their right to defend themselves. gently caress social justice, it is equally morally corrupt and frankly, terrifying. We're eroding society by allowing mob lynching equivalent of 17th century on the internet. "Private business, so they can censor as they wish" is getting too old. We need proper laws to keep ideology away from corporations. Today it is convenient because it is siding with your political ideology, tomorrow, it won't be.

he should join truth social. they ban almost nobody at all (as long as they 100% agree with this weird dumb bullshit and also agree with everything trump has ever said, including the stuff that conflicts with the other stuff he said)

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Sapozhnik posted:

hn thread: We have unlimited source of energy (Sun)

close second,

hn thread: we're going to be fine in the future

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
nbzso 10 hours ago | prev | next [–]

Is there someone in the illustrator community who is not excited about this meaningful technology? So cool.

You don't have a job anymore. As a start, you will get less money. Why I have to pay you when GPT 3 can generate prompts for DALL-E?

Send your congratulations to the geniuses which in search of validation and budget optimization are bringing this revolution ahead. This thing proved for me that the UI design and design in general are the next target. I have transitioned to pure frontend development, and I am cool for the next three to six years. After this who knows.

On the artistic end. No more digital painting for me. I will use only analogue mediums, may be someone will pay for a human made picture on the wall....who knows.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

re: crunch time

jmartin2683 15 hours ago | next [–]

Good on them for being up front about it. Some will like it, some won’t… so it is. Personally I don’t see the fuss over hours. The best thing about this job is getting paid to do what I’ve spent the last 25 years doing for fun anyway. If anything I get upset when there isn’t enough to occupy myself. We’re blessed… I can’t imagine feeling bad about too much of a good thing. This is also why working on things you’re actually interested in is important!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

DaTroof posted:

he should join truth social. they ban almost nobody at all (as long as they 100% agree with this weird dumb bullshit and also agree with everything trump has ever said, including the stuff that conflicts with the other stuff he said)

You're misreading what he said. Here, let me put it through the chud-to-english translator:

I can't say the N-word and this is everyone's problem.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

concordDance 3 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: SpaceX, T-Mobile to connect satellites to cellphones in remote areas

> > While I see the great potential in this technology, the collateral damage is the loss of places where one can truly disconnect.
> > I just got back from 4 days camping at a remote mountain lake with zero phone coverage, and it’s one of the most incredible ways to fully recharge and step away from the day to day treadmill of the modern world. When we loose the possibility to completely disconnect, I at least, will feel a loss of the true wilderness.
> > I’m not debating the usefulness of this or saying it shouldn’t happen. Having cell service everywhere will undoubtedly save lives, but it’s not without a price in loosing true wildernesses

> if you want to not have cell service while you are camping then you can just leave your phone at home. i'm sure that the benefits brought to people who are saved from being bitten by a poisonous snakes or fall down the side of a mountain will outweigh your moderate discomfort brought about by your lack of self control.

This may not actually be true. The number of people currently dying from those things due to lack of coverage is tiny, while a vastly greater number get substantial QoL improvements from the disconnect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

sometimeshuman 45 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

As I understand it, this procedure would result in a near perfect clone baring a few random mutations in the stem cell which they could probably screen for.
To digress. I want a clone, more than anything. It's only thing I'd pay more than $100k+ for aside from housing.
I submit that society would benefit if every other generation was a clone. If I were raised by my parent-clone I would have matured faster and been more skilled at playing baby-roulette with a natural child.
Whenever I meet a 20-30 year old that has the temperament and calmness of a 40-50 year old I suspect one of two things:
1) their young-ish parents won at baby-roulette and their child had a personality similar to theirs and were able to guide them through adolescence in a more optimal way.
2) their parents were older and maturer and could navigate the personality conflicts in a way that didn't lead to long-term family dysfunction.
but even #2 is rare since not all older parents can handle all personality types, hence my suggestion for a third option: family lines based on alternate generation cloning.

Victerius 1 hour ago | prev | next [–]

"They are totally obedient, taking any order without question."
Seriously, we need to loosen the regulations on cloning, including animal and, yes, human cloning. We are holding back innovation.