Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

E: voting with approximately 1 hour left, updated.

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Wrong, I switched my votes a couple posts ago.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Wrong, I switched my votes a couple posts ago.

sorry, corrected

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Appoint Count Ebbon of Sonda as Spymaster - switch to Abstain.

Remain as Aye.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Switching from Nay to Abstain on Count Ebbon for Spymaster

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"It seems unlikely that both war bills will pass now, so I will put my four votes back towards JATRA."

megane fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 13, 2020

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I would like to redirect my four votes to be AGAINST JATRA

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Prince Renaud "the Heartless" Konopka of Thessalonika

Changing again.

Four (4) votes AGAINST Reform Act for the Jerusalem Administrative Title Reform Act
Two (2) votes for Swords into Pens

Directives stay the same

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
:siren:Session is closed!:siren:

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Final Vote Count for the Session of 1245

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

:siren:Session of 1245 is Closed:siren:

The following items have passed into the Recess, without opposition:

The following items have reached the 1/3rd opposition limit, so we await the decision of the EMPEROR-PREFERENT on whether to veto them:

If the above items are vetoed, the following proposal enters the Recess instead:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Hashim posted:

:siren:Session of 1245 is Closed:siren:

The following items have reached the 1/3rd opposition limit, so we await the decision of the EMPEROR-PREFERENT on whether to veto them:

If the above items are vetoed, the following proposal enters the Recess instead:

both bills are VETOED

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The Recess of 1245

The Recess is comprised of the following Policies/Laws:

Also attached to the Recess are the following directives:

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Mappa Mundi circa 1245 AD

Realm map:

Religion map:

Culture map:

Christendom

Since the last state of the world, the borders of Christendom have shrunk to those of Jerusalem, recently elevated to the status of Empire, and the only country that successfully repelled the Mongol invaders.

There has been plenty of upheaval and infighting within the Empire, however, as the Synod and Reformation of Jerusalem has only resulted in religion becoming messier.

The traditional Old Catholics are still strong in Egypt while Reformed Catholics slowly gain ground in Jerusalem and Syria. Cairo is a Jewish enclave, Sinai has become the last holdout of Old Jaffites, Arabia is dominated by the iconoclastic Mohammedan sect, Hadhramaut is firmly Nestorian, and Orthodox, Monophysites, Bogomilists, Monothelites and other heresies have pockets everywhere.

The cultural makeup of the Empire is more coherent, with a melting pot of former European cultures coalescing into Outremer in parts of Jerusalem, Egypt and Syria. Native cultures like Egyptians, Copts and Bedouins still dominate, and there are plenty of Armenians and Kurds in the north, while enclaves of Han and Rajput cling to Xin Xi’an and Musqat, and the city of Jerusalem itself is still Turkish.

Africa

After several decades of succession crises and infighting, a capable and uncompromising King of the Jews has risen to stabilize the vast realm of Abyssinia, ending the period of civil war and even extending Abyssinian influence into sub-Saharan Africa.

Using his descent from Prophet Solomon to seize power, this Negash has gathered a number of powerful relics – including the Staff of Moses and the Ark of the Covenant – in his capital, where they stand as symbols of his divinely-appointed status.

Islamdom

The longtime rulers of North Africa and the Muslim world – the Kefids – have been overthrown by one of their vassals, Ali Zirid, who has seized the mantle of Caliph for himself.

But this ambitious new caliph is cynical, unpopular and not very bright, leaving the Shia Caliphate (and by extension, the Muslim world) weaker than ever.

This weakening is most evident in Iberia, the Muslim lords there having rebelled and expelled the Shias altogether. The peninsula is still very divided, however, and with the dominating powers led by children, it looks to continue that way into the future.

Finally, Muslim adventurers that adhere to mystical strands of Islam have overrun large parts of France and Scandinavia, establishing new kingdoms in those once-Christian lands.

India

In the aftermath of the Fifth Crusade, our colonies in India have expanded to encompass much of the Indus valley and Gujarat, including some of the subcontinent’s largest and richest cities. Far from the imperial authority of Jerusalem, the princes that rule there now style themselves King-on-the-Indus and King-on-the-Horn.

Of course, this rapid expansion was only possible due to the divisions and rivalries between the pagan kings of India.

But… slowly and surely, a defensive pact seems to be banding against us, a league that seems to be led by someone we haven’t met yet, someone we haven’t talked to or warred with. Their ports are closed to us and their gates shuttered, but their emissaries have trickled into the courts of the rajas of India, emissaries that wear brightly-coloured armour, don helms crowned in steel thorns, and speak a garbled but strangely familiar tongue.

The Mongol Empire

Led by Genghis Khan and then his sons – Tolui, Chanai, Yokhunan, Jebe, Eljigedei – the Mongols have overrun and destroyed many of the oldest and strongest powers of our world – the Uighur khanate of Persia, the Turkish sultanate of Rum, the Cumans of the steppe, the kingdom of Hungary, the union of Prussia, and yes, even the Holy Roman Empire, before descending on Italy and ransacking our holy city of Rome. While they raped and pillaged and conquered, our God slumbered.

But now, at long last, Christ is waking.

And after a crushing defeat against steel-clad knights at Famia, rival grandsons of Genghis Khan turned on each other and civil war engulfed the Mongol Empire.

Bloody and devastating, this infighting eventually ended in a treaty that partitioned the Mongol Horde into three – the Toluid Khanate wears the Iron Crown in Europe, the Chagatay Khanate rules in Italy, Anatolia and the Balkans, and the Jochid Khanate stretches across Mongolia, Persia and the Steppe.

The crown of thorns was lost in the mayhem, with the uproar even reaching Mongol domains in the far east, where the Yuan dynasty is facing a titanic struggle of their own. United under a single banner for the first time, the Jurchens have crossed into China to seize the Mandate of Heaven, forcing the Yuan princes to fight and die, or flee to their last domains in lands further east.

This chaos was also opportunity, however, as small and minor powers managed to wrench free from Mongol influence for the first time in decades. The republics of Genoa and Venice are pushing inland, the kingdom of Castille has inherited Burgundy, Christian holdouts in Scotland look to reunite Britain…

These are the ancestral lands of many noble houses in Jerusalem, but now… now they are unrecognizable. Mosques are manyplace in Tours, animal-headed gods are carved into the walls of Notre Dame, sky-worshippers raise temples in the Apostolic Palace, sacred fires are tended in Leinster, idols of many-armed goddesses dominate in Ulm, and Fraticelli and Lollard and Jaffite and Cathar and every other brand of heresy overwhelms everything else, leaving us with a simple truth…

We have lost our homeland.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 14, 2020

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Ledgers

Largest realms:

Largest armies:

Richest characters:

Largest religions:

Wonders:

Bloodlines:

Kill list:

Richest provinces in Jerusalem:

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
These lands the Mongols call "Yurp"... What a glorious mess

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

And cue Aztecs

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Rody One Half posted:

And cue Aztecs

:getin:

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Benedikt Estrid, despite being heavily involved in the preparations of the Gilded Goose, never sailed Eastwards since he still had a business to run and politics to deal with. Nevertheless, he retained his love of the sea and regulary travelled the routes between Jerusalem and Denmark and kept an Illustrated Journal that's even to this day preserved almost in its entirety in the Asyut Historical Museum. It's pages present a vivid recolection of the rapidly changing political and religious landscape during and after the Mongol Invasions

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Ben's Travelogue: Athens

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

nice, added to OP

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Given the abject failure of the new reformed catholic faith to spread beyond the empire it seems ripe for any emerging old catholic King in Europe to establish an antipope

I guess there aren’t any significant old catholic states in Europe right now thought.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

i81icu812 posted:

Given the abject failure of the new reformed catholic faith to spread beyond the empire it seems ripe for any emerging old catholic King in Europe to establish an antipope

I guess there aren’t any significant old catholic states in Europe right now thought.

The Serene Republic of Genoa would beg to disagree (re: no reformed catholic spread) :colbert:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

i81icu812 posted:

The most awesome and best royal prerogatives, continued again:

- The All Powerful Emperor-Preferent Nicolas "Saintson" Carpanel, Wearer of Amazing Staches, Comrade to GlitterStomp, is totally seducing this guy's sister.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Negash has risen? Quick, kill him or we'll be overrun by skeletons!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

The Recess of 1245

* Stockpile funds and begin construction of a great harbour at Gilded Coast

* Amendment to Title Revocation Act, as follows

* Declare a holy war for the duchy of Baghdad, to secure the House of Wisdom

* Amendment to the Invisible Cities Act, as follows

* Appoint Queen Agnes of Armenia as Spymaster, once possible

* Advance Popular Customs technology

* Sanction a Duel between Rasul and... Rasul?

* Appoint Count Ebbon of Sonda as Spymaster

Chapter 32 – Up the Tigris and Euphrates – 1245 to 1250

In the many towns dotting the Holy Land, they say he marched into Jerusalem atop a war elephant. In the remote villages of Syria and Armenia, they say he crusaded against the pagan Indians and warred with the heretic Prester John. In the bustling ports of Egypt and Arabia, they say he speaks to God Almighty and claims the mantle of Prophet…

All across the Empire, merchants and townsfolk trade stories about their Emperor, with thousands of poor but zealous commoners travelling to Jerusalem to praise and venerate him, and maybe even see him.

And with good reason, because the blood of angels and saints flows through my veins, and the voice of Jesus Christ whispers to me.

He was always there, muttering whenever I made a decision or grumbling about my appearance, but every so often, he would command me… as he did in the summer of 1245, when he ordered me to pick up my sword and take the fight to the pagan.

I took to the matter to the Haute Cour, and they soon sanctioned a war for the pearl of Mesopotamia – Baghdad.

War was declared in September of 1245, and a large force of crusaders and levies were gathered at a small town near Famia by year’s end.

By then, the Great Khan was already in Persia and preparing to cross into Mesopotamia, dispatching a large force of Tartars under his son to ravage and pillage ahead of him.

There was no time to waste, so as the winter months dwindled and spring swept across Syria and Iraq, we marched between the Tigris and Euphrates until the banks of the two rivers were only a few miles apart, halting near the fortified city of Deir.

And there, eager to prove his mettle, the young son of the Great Khan attacked.

The first battle-between-the-Rivers was furious and ferocious, with Mongol outnumbering Christian and quickly seizing the upper hand… until I played my wild card.

Armoured in steel and tusks tipped with iron, I unleashed my war elephants to storm and ravage that narrow bridge of land between Tigris and Euphrates, and by day’s end, the enemy were scattering to cross the rivers again.

With over twenty thousand trampled by elephants and drowned in the flooded rivers, the day was ours. Forward! Forward! – Jesus commanded and I obeyed, we were marching again within the week.

But when the impressive walls circling Samarra came into view, so did the Great Khan, watching us from across the Tigris with the morning sun rising behind him.

And that very same day, he crossed the waters and met us in the second battle-between-the-Rivers.

They had their mounted archers, we had our steel-clad knights. They had their horselords, we had our elephants. They had their sky-god watching over them, and we had Jesus Christ urging us forward…

But it wasn’t enough.

After a long day of bitter fighting, the lush grass and fertile soil stretching between Euphrates and Tigris was drenched in blood, and we were in desperate retreat…

But it wasn’t over yet. We might be scattered and retreating, but we weren’t defeated... because it was then, with a red sun setting on a red day, that I saw the Great Khan.

Go! – the voice ordered, and I dug my heels into my steed. A cluster of knights followed me in a final, desperate charge, a charge that breached enemy lines, broke through the circle of guards, and sent the Great Khan of the Mongols spinning from his saddle.

We lost the battle, but they lost their khan.

Paralyzed by his sudden death, the rival sons and ambitious vassals of the Great Khan quickly succumbed to infighting, allowing the remnants of my host to retreat to Sinjar. They didn’t pursue.

As for us, well, after wintering and recovering at Sinjar, we were ready to move south again. A rebel khan had seized Baghdad, but the lords of Jerusalem didn’t care who reigned in the city, they vowed to march on her regardless.

And this time, our march up the Tigris and Euphrates met with little resistance until we reached mighty Baghdad herself.

Beneath the walls of Baghdad, the third and last battle-between-the-Rivers was fought and won.

A long siege followed, assaults and sorties and rencounters that stretched across a year, with skirmishes and disease claiming the lives of countless besiegers and dozens of lords…

But there was no relief coming from the east, and in the dying months of 1248, the great city finally surrendered.

Baghdad was ours.

The khan that ruled there was allowed to flee, and once the roads and city was secured, news from the west slowly trickled into Baghdad, including rumours about the expedition of the Gilded Goose…

The crew had shipwrecked near a large island, the crew had stolen a valuable artifact from some holy king, the crew were being tailed by some knight wearing fish heraldry – it was impossible to tell between fact and fiction, but they made good stories for the men.

And that wasn’t all, because as I was campaigning up the Tigris and Euphrates, a fortune was invested into the construction of a grand harbour in Damietta, which looked to eclipse Alexandria as the principal port on the Mediterranean.

The war was over and army disbanded, but the voices in my head had gone silent, so I stayed in Baghdad for a few months – sitting in the Great Mosque of Al-Mansur, walking the halls of the Taj Palace, browsing the libraries of the House of Wisdom. Finally, as another year drew to a close, I departed for Jerusalem.

And when I reached the holy city a fortnight later, there were immense crowds of commoners and lords waiting to greet me, shouting and cheering as I paraded down the streets atop my elephant, bowing and congratulating as I entered the palaces on Temple Mount.

From north to south and west to east, the deeds and exploits of Nicolas Saintson were famous, and the man himself was fast becoming a legend in the flesh.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 1, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So our current ruler is completely insane and yet is one of the best monarchs we have ever had?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Josef bugman posted:

So our current ruler is completely insane and yet is one of the best monarchs we have ever had?

not insane, just possessed (they're seperate traits in ck2)

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Josef bugman posted:

:sickos:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So he is 30 (ish)?

Am I alone in wanting him to stay on the throne for a while just to have a bit more of an easy time of it?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

He's about 40 now

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
How many Great Works do w have at this point? It seems like we might have a lot and presumably in varying states.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Xelkelvos posted:

How many Great Works do w have at this point? It seems like we might have a lot and presumably in varying states.

Techniquely 6, though some are in better states than other, and one just started being built (takes around 30 years).

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

House of Groves in Jerusalem, well developed but only stage 1

House of Wisdom in Baghdad - most developed, damaged by war

Lighthouse of Alexandria - basically a ruin

Petra in Arabia Petrae - literally a ruin

Great Pyramids in Giza - have a bunch of features, so surprisingly well developed

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Is the Kaabah not a Great Work?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
State funeral of the Great Khan Khagatai of Ganbaatar, colorised:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDmB76y7jFs

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

WilliamAnderson posted:

Is the Kaabah not a Great Work?

no, but either that or the great mosque of damascus really should've been.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
How does the Goose voyages event work? Can you influence that or is it just a random thing?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Livewire42 posted:

How does the Goose voyages event work? Can you influence that or is it just a random thing?

Nah I don't influence it at all, they're basically news events telling us about events that've already happened to the characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
What does the holy grail do?