Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro

Fun Shoe

"launched"

can't wait for some guy to roll up in the back of a truck with my modded Chromecast and ask if we want to play Just Dauce 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

watching new groups of people come to understand Stadia fills me with joy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ask me about my Huffy

mystes posted:

One of my coworkers told me that he actually likes advertising on Facebook because it's so targeted towards his interests, so maybe Google is just doing a really bad job of it. :shrug:

lol your coworker thinks hilary clinton invented aids

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mystes posted:

Google has always loved to do soft launches of half-baked beta products.
this is because launching a new product is the best way to get promoted, regardless of the product's viability or if google itself already has a similar product already

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mystes posted:

One of my coworkers told me that he actually likes advertising on Facebook because it's so targeted towards his interests, so maybe Google is just doing a really bad job of it. :shrug:

your coworker is probably a nazi

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

alternately, those targeted Facebook ads that he likes so much are a waste of money because they're telling him to do things he was going to do anyway

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

this is because launching a new product is the best way to get promoted, regardless of the product's viability or if google itself already has a similar product already
Supposedly they somehow made changes to try to fix this after it became common knowledge a year or two ago.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most of my facebook ads are for ridiculous kickstarter hoodies and man jewelry probably because I follow some sneaker accounts on instagram and restaurants that are 200+ miles away

mystes posted:

Supposedly they somehow made changes to try to fix this after it became common knowledge a year or two ago.

I heard that but... stadia

Apr 7, 2003

Ask me about my Huffy

pseudorandom name posted:

alternately, those targeted Facebook ads that he likes so much are a waste of money because they're telling him to do things he was going to do anyway

back when I was on a car search, I started getting ads for the car I bought for eight months after I already bought the loving thing

very effective

Apr 7, 2003

Ask me about my Huffy

There's a central PA chud paper site I keep an eye on to see what the chudosphere is discussing and their hamburger menu is incredible.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Oh, no, it's a clear violation of HIPAA but no one's going to do anything about it

isn't one of the little secrets of HIPAA that despite having the ability to fine someone into the next planetary system they've never actually done it and instead would much rather issue a small fine with an improvement plan?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps

Nap Ghost

back when I was on a car search, I started getting ads for the car I bought for eight months after I already bought the loving thing

very effective

It's for justifying the purchase. Some schools of advertising say it shouldn't end at the purchase

Apr 7, 2003

Ask me about my Huffy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

It's for justifying the purchase. Some schools of advertising say it shouldn't end at the purchase

hosed up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sometimes I sit on facebook clicking "not interested" on literally every ad that comes up

I wonder what it thinks I'm into now

Apr 7, 2003

Ask me about my Huffy

Shifty Pony posted:

isn't one of the little secrets of HIPAA that despite having the ability to fine someone into the next planetary system they've never actually done it and instead would much rather issue a small fine with an improvement plan?

HIPAA fines max out at $1.5m per class of violation per year.

That's, uh, not a lot of money

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

haveblue posted:

sometimes I sit on facebook clicking "not interested" on literally every ad that comes up

I wonder what it thinks I'm into now

interacting with Brand.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

HIPAA fines max out at $1.5m per class of violation per year.

That's, uh, not a lot of money

lol wow was I misinformed as gently caress.

Apr 7, 2003

Ask me about my Huffy

Shifty Pony posted:

lol wow was I misinformed as gently caress.

Once you meet your out of pocket crime deductible, you can go hog wild!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Neigh

lol 1.5m is just a rounding error

Apr 7, 2003

Ask me about my Huffy

Xaris posted:

lol 1.5m is just a rounding error

ASO billing system I worked on at a previous employer billed in excess of $20b every year

Most of that was passthrough, but you can figure you're keeping 3.5% of that.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the shredding budget at most hospital systems is probably larger than $1.5m

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

the shredding budget at most hospital systems is probably larger than $1.5m

surely not, or else they would retain the data and just eat the fines ;)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shifty Pony posted:

they are claiming it is being done to improve patient care, which is a plausible goal of the program for Ascension.

but Google is doing all the work for "free" which indicates they are really being paid in the form of access to patient data. they are almost certainly using that PHI to make new software products and getting their developers access to that unredacted data was very likely their primary goal. the (paywalled) wsj article that broke this indicated that Google employees had already been caught passing around PHI without a business reason.

I do not know enough about HIPAA to know how illegal that is, but I suspect the answer is "very".

it's this!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

the standard joke is that the CEO got a bunch of applause for launching this program, but then never actually bothered to do anything about it afterwards

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

very effective

evergreen

https://twitter.com/girlfromblupo/status/982156453396996096

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

speaking of lovely poorly-done advertising, i've been getting emails from my current ISP begging me to come back to their service and offering discounts if i change back

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pinterest Mom posted:

lol no
you have to buy the games at full price

oh, well then whats the loving point?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

Shaggar posted:

nobody knows

Apr 7, 2003

Ask me about my Huffy

Googled again!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nap Ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

I think that that's a fine idea for smaller, first time offenders but someone like ascension or goog shouldn't get any leeway

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

I think that that's a fine idea for smaller, first time offenders but someone like ascension or goog shouldn't get any leeway

and yet they do. ever thought about why that might be

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nap Ghost

the government doesn't want to try to enforce laws against anyone who can afford to defend themselves.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Shaggar posted:

the point is you can use any controller attached to any device to play all the newest games at the highest quality

☭ feature not available at launch
☘ feature not available at launch
☥ selection is limited
⚜ pricing and quality may vary

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shame Boy posted:

speaking of lovely poorly-done advertising, i've been getting emails from my current ISP begging me to come back to their service and offering discounts if i change back

try doing it lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

deffo get those discounts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

this is pretty much every regulatory fine. they will have a maximum, then only issue the highest of all the possible fines rather than the sum of all possible fines, and then negotiate it down with an improvement plan.

syntaxrigger
Jul 6, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Shame Boy posted:

All this advert talk is just reminding me how hosed up my inbox is and with each passing day I am more and more tempted to just create a new inbox and ghost the drat thing

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 14, 2019

syntaxrigger
Jul 6, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

e: misclick lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

THE HORROR
THE HORROR

Krankenstyle posted:

try doing it lol

last time i tried to change my service with this ISP to get a higher speed they said they just had to update something in the network and it would be active in 20 minutes, then after nothing happened for a week I got an empty cardboard box in the mail to send back a cable box i never had. i get the feeling if i actively try to mess with them they'll somehow find a way to accidentally declare me legally dead or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

last time i tried to change my service with this ISP to get a higher speed they said they just had to update something in the network and it would be active in 20 minutes, then after nothing happened for a week I got an empty cardboard box in the mail to send back a cable box i never had. i get the feeling if i actively try to mess with them they'll somehow find a way to accidentally declare me legally dead or something

Sounds like a good tax dodge, I say do it