Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

So there aren't going to be any new mainstream video cards in the next year or so, right? Wondering whether it's worth replacing my failing video card or limping it through until a new round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Some Goon posted:

Yes, you can put an SSD in a laptop, they use the same form factor. Just be sure to get a 2.5" drive, not an M.2 drive.

Task manager isn't reporting disk space usage but disk bandwidth usage. Either it's paging like crazy (and probably is with only 4gb of ram), or you're trying to load more things than the slow HDD can keep up with. Or something is bugged somewhere.

My advice: do both upgrades. 4gb of RAM isn't enough for Windows, and no one should have to use a hard disk in this day and age.
Yeah, I recently installed a cheap SSD (did you know there are Hyundai-branded drives???) and some more RAM into my husband's abandoned 2012 laptop, and it's legit shockingly fast for something that old when starting up or doing light stuff. Anything involving heavier processing not so much, but that's what my other PC is for.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Manager Hoyden posted:

So there aren't going to be any new mainstream video cards in the next year or so, right? Wondering whether it's worth replacing my failing video card or limping it through until a new round.

Nvidia's expected to put out new cards ~late Q3 / Q4. The usually start near the top of the stack though, so the wait on mainstream cards might be a while.

Stroop There It Is posted:

Yeah, I recently installed a cheap SSD (did you know there are Hyundai-branded drives???) and some more RAM into my husband's abandoned 2012 laptop, and it's legit shockingly fast for something that old when starting up or doing light stuff. Anything involving heavier processing not so much, but that's what my other PC is for.

Its a different Hyundai.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Some Goon posted:

Yes, you can put an SSD in a laptop, they use the same form factor. Just be sure to get a 2.5" drive, not an M.2 drive.

Task manager isn't reporting disk space usage but disk bandwidth usage. Either it's paging like crazy (and probably is with only 4gb of ram), or you're trying to load more things than the slow HDD can keep up with. Or something is bugged somewhere.

My advice: do both upgrades. 4gb of RAM isn't enough for Windows, and no one should have to use a hard disk in this day and age.

sounds good!

on the RAM front, as long as it's compatible with my laptop model, the mhz and such don't matter, right?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Manager Hoyden posted:

Probably not this calendar year, but I'd very much expect new midrange cards within 1 year from now.

Mr Interweb posted:

on the RAM front, as long as it's compatible with my laptop model, the mhz and such don't matter, right?

nah, if this laptop is being relegated to basic internet and office the speed doesn't much matter.

the process of installing new ram will reset speeds to the standard safe speed for DDR3, same as a desktop. so if you get something slower than the 800mhz / DDR1600 that's in it you'll still be fine. so if you get ddr-1333 you can set it to 1333 speed manually, or leave it alone because it doesn't much matter.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Looking at building a new PC and I'm stuck between the 3700X and the 10700K. I'm leaning towards 10700K as it's only a $150 difference and seems to OC better.

My goal is to get the best performance I can out of Arma, IL2, DCS, and I'm sure Microsoft Flight Sim once that drops. Running them on an Ultra Wide 1440P monitor, and may get a 4k sometime in its life.

I have a 1080ti and will be upgrading that whenever the 3000 series drops.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($408.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($158.48 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.98 @ Walmart)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.84 @ Amazon)
Total: $1255.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-25 20:43 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($174.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.98 @ Walmart)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $1127.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-25 20:44 EDT-0400

I'm not tied to anything in these lists. my budget is about $1,500 for everything excluding the GPU.

Edit: or the third option, should I just wait for the AMD 4000 Ryzens?

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 26, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stroop There It Is posted:

I think Hyundai like all the other S Korean conglomerates make money on literally everything. Wouldn't be surprised if there was Hyundai life insurance, Hyundai assault rifles, and Hyundai tanks. Those things could be related.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mu Zeta posted:

and Hyundai tanks

(though tbf the cars-tanks connection is much closer than cars-hard drives. the abrams used to be made by chrysler.)

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Bondematt posted:

My goal is to get the best performance I can out of Arma, IL2, DCS, and I'm sure Microsoft Flight Sim once that drops. Running them on an Ultra Wide 1440P monitor, and may get a 4k sometime in its life.

The CPU choice is irrelevant to these concerns.

Bondematt posted:

Edit: or the third option, should I just wait for the AMD 4000 Ryzens?

Same old rule. Upgrade/replace only when your current rig is unable to do what you want to do *right now*.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Okay, so here is a napkin build based on what I've learned so far:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4S ATX AM4 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Gold 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($159.99 @ Western Digital)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB KO ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($333.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($117.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1266.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-25 13:36 EDT-0400

I'm probably going to wait until September/October for the next GPU update, so replace the 2060 with whatever new, hotshit $350 GPU drops?

It feels a little unbalanced, though. Like I could spend less on some things and more on others to get a higher dollar-value.

As I said, my big goals are being able to play the next year or two of games at max-settings, 1080p. I want to be able to get into VR, not necessarily at high/max settings, but definitely with stable framerates. I would like to have a ton of USBs on the front of the case (might need an expansion slot for the front of the case?), I've been spoiled by my decade+ old CM Stacker that has 6 USB ports on the front. :ohdear:

How wrong am I?

The 2 things I would change to save a little would be to go with a B450 board instead of X570, and go with 16 gigs of RAM instead of 32. Otherwise you are pretty much in the sweet spot across the board. You could use that minor savings to go up a little bit on the video card.

There just isn't anything significant to be gained by going B550 or X570 over B450. The only differences you might see would only be able to be measured in synthetic benchmarks. Eventually, when the B550 boards are selling for the same amount B450 boards are now, that would be reasonable, but the X570 isn't super competitive for your build otherwise.

Edit: Knocked $40 off your build and got you a 2060 Super and slightly better RAM: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b62vrV

Mistikman fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 26, 2020

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Klyith posted:

nah, if this laptop is being relegated to basic internet and office the speed doesn't much matter.

the process of installing new ram will reset speeds to the standard safe speed for DDR3, same as a desktop. so if you get something slower than the 800mhz / DDR1600 that's in it you'll still be fine. so if you get ddr-1333 you can set it to 1333 speed manually, or leave it alone because it doesn't much matter.

my laptop has 2 slots, and at first i thought i'd had to replace both, but apparently one slot is free. so i was gonna just add another 4 gig RAM stick, so does that one have to match? or does it also not matter?

edit: this one okay?

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=221924223961&category=170083&pm=1&ds=0&t=1578081589000&ver=0

edit: actually, i have another more general question

so i would expect my computer to be struggling when i launch my browser, which automatically jumps the memory management to 90%. but as i also stated, it's very slow even when i'm not loading any programs and just booting up. when i launch windows, without any programs open, the memory being taken up is between 55-60%. i figure that would be enough free memory to at least let me just open folders and such. but it struggles even for that.

my new PC, can run premiere, after effects, 40 tabs in opera and still only takes up 60% at the most, and yet everything runs without a hitch. not even so much a stutter. (my record so far is 75% and no hiccups whatsoever)

why is that the case?

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 26, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

That's where your 100% disk usage is coming into play. It's trying to load Windows and all of its services and all of your startup program and your hard disk can't be read fast enough to get it all into RAM in a timely manner. So whenever you try to open a folder or whatnot it has to go find the contents on your hard disk, but it's busy loading whatever so it can't pull up the folder in a reasonable timeframe.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Some Goon posted:

That's where your 100% disk usage is coming into play. It's trying to load Windows and all of its services and all of your startup program and your hard disk can't be read fast enough to get it all into RAM in a timely manner. So whenever you try to open a folder or whatnot it has to go find the contents on your hard disk, but it's busy loading whatever so it can't pull up the folder in a reasonable timeframe.

gotcha, that makes sense.

so is the RAM i linked to okay to get?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

Alright, thanks to both of you! I ordered this today. I got the better case you suggested, and the power supply was out of stock, so I got this EVGA 500 W1 power supply which Johnny guru reviewed and basically said was surprisingly well made for the price. I was hoping for at least a bronze, but at this price, I'll settle for "not burning the house down." We decided not to get the MB upgrade, as we were already pushing it and I don't see upgrades for this machine happening. That said, to Bofast's point, Microcenter supposedly has done the BIOS update on this, and we will be checking when we pick it up. If that's not the case, we'll probably end up with the suggested B450M DS3H. All that, plus a $20 Logitech KB/Mouse bundle, a SA mart Windows key, and a local $40 craigslist monitor has produced, in theory, a <$650 after tax and shipping complete system that will at least modestly well play games and stuff. I didn't think it was possible, so thanks for the thread knowledge and the tweaks. I'll report back once it is working.

If the shop does it for you, that's great! :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Hyundai like all the other S Korean conglomerates make money on literally everything. Wouldn't be surprised if there was Hyundai life insurance, Hyundai assault rifles, and Hyundai tanks. Those things could be related.

They do have companies for shipbuilding, petroleum refining, real estate, a racing team and a bunch of other things.
A Hyundai branded drive is probably from what is now known as SK Hynix (formerly Hynix and before that Hyundai Electronics).

It amuses me that these South Korean chip makers are also ship makers, and I only found out about it when someone in a hardware thread did a typo and accidentally called Samsung one of the world's largest ship makers (which turned out to also be true). :D

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.99)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card ($229.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($40.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Raidmax Thunder RGB 735 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($68.98 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($40.00)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-B9 redux-1600 PWM 37.85 CFM 92 mm Fan ($10.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $826.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-26 05:59 EDT-0400

Building this 1080p gaming computer for a friend. Besides the new GPU cards dropping soon, are there any issues?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr Interweb posted:

so is the RAM i linked to okay to get?

did you pick that ram because your laptop is one of those models? then yes.

Otherwise, your laptop *might* want DDR3L ram which operates at 1.35V, while standard DDR3 does 1.5V. You've never said what make and model your laptop is, so I don't know what it wants. The safe choice would be getting DDR3L like this because it works at either voltage.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'm thinking about an ITX build for playing old games that I can't on my MacBook. I've got a copy of Windows 10 and a 512GB SSD already, as well as a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Anything I'm missing or should really swap out? Looks like I could save a bit going with a MicroATX, but I'm looking for something I can tuck away in my room at my desk. Any real good reason to go one way or the other? Is the onboard GPU good enough for 1080p older games?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($68.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone SG05BB-450-USB3.0 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($49.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Silverstone SFX 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($74.99 @ B&H)
Total: $432.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-26 10:38 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $331.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-26 10:46 EDT-0400

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 27, 2020

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is there any advantage or benefit to PCIe 4.0 outside of future proofing? I see I can get compatibility with AMD, but not Intel, but I don't see too many applications outside of maybe larger servers and storage or date transfer rates (which don't really apply to me) but not sure if there's a potential bottleneck or missed opportunity by skipping it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Are there any cases designed to be slim and long/wide like a pizza box? With a full side video card beside the motherboard. Ideally with no internal PSU. Feeling like it's either hacking up a 1u to 2u rack mount case or go custom starting with a project box enclosure.

It needs to be less than 4 inches tall to fit in the location I want to use in my car.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

taqueso posted:

Are there any cases designed to be slim and long/wide like a pizza box? With a full side video card beside the motherboard. Ideally with no internal PSU. Feeling like it's either hacking up a 1u to 2u rack mount case or go custom starting with a project box enclosure.

It needs to be less than 4 inches tall to fit in the location I want to use in my car.

Silverstone makes cases that fit that description.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Oh should have mentioned I'd like to support matx so I can have 4 ram slots. But otherwise those are about right

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

PageMaster posted:

Is there any advantage or benefit to PCIe 4.0 outside of future proofing?

Nope.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Klyith posted:

did you pick that ram because your laptop is one of those models? then yes.

Otherwise, your laptop *might* want DDR3L ram which operates at 1.35V, while standard DDR3 does 1.5V. You've never said what make and model your laptop is, so I don't know what it wants. The safe choice would be getting DDR3L like this because it works at either voltage.

oh sorry, it's a gateway NE 522 series.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
What are the odds that parts pricing and availability are about to get all hosed up because of the potential second stimulus check?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's going to be fine. People will use their stimulus on alcohol.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

About to? They're already hosed. It's not going to help things, but...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm seeing a lot of power supplies and cases in stock on Newegg and BHPhoto so I thought stock was getting better.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I can't find a decent B550 board in stock anywhere :(

also someone should change the thread title, it's not quite accurate anymore.

e: or at least it won't be in a few months

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Some Goon posted:

About to? They're already hosed. It's not going to help things, but...

This is what I gathered. I'm currently trying to build my young kids a PC so that they can do this dumb distance learning thing. 8 was hoping I could wait another month or so but it seems like I should probably get on it sooner rather than later

Anything immediately wrong with this? Figure I could drop in a gpu in a couple years when their old enough for AAA games and in the meantime it can handle zoom, Microsoft teams, Lego games and Minecraft well enough.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.88 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($72.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston UV500 120 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($28.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($40.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA W3 450 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($6.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $401.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-27 13:18 EDT-0400

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 27, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-SN550-500GB-NVMe-Internal/dp/B07YFF3JCN/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=wd+blue+ssd&qid=1595870985&sr=8-4

I'd spend the extra $30 on this SSD. You get 500 gigs and more durability. It should last longer with heavy use. 120gigs is just too small IMO.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-SN550-500GB-NVMe-Internal/dp/B07YFF3JCN/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=wd+blue+ssd&qid=1595870985&sr=8-4

I'd spend the extra $30 on this SSD. You get 500 gigs and more durability. It should last longer with heavy use. 120gigs is just too small IMO.

Seconding this, Windows will take up 100+ gigs by itself. I'd also consider springing for a a PSU with a 5 year warranty. As is it probably doesn't matter, but ones with 3 year warranties are bottom of the barrel units.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Existing B550 boards will need an update then too, I figured I'd let it sit until Zen3 actually launches.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Re: PSU, spring for one with a 10 year warranty if you can. Speaking as someone who had a 5-year one die after 18 months.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I’m told it’s not necessarily accurate today for low-volume stuff like ITX boards, anyway.

EMCF
Feb 21, 2007
What are the odds a good 650w power supply will be able to power a RTX 3080?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EMCF posted:

What are the odds a good 650w power supply will be able to power a RTX 3080?

If the 3080 uses much more than 300 watts I'll be extremely surprised. Even the 3080 Ti with its brand new power connector is gonna be well under 400W, unless it is completely stupid like 2 GPUs on one card with a built in liquid cooler.

EMCF
Feb 21, 2007
That's nice to hear. I keep hearing you'll need at least 750 recently in order to handle a 3080, and I have a nice new 650w unit I'm hoping I can get away with given how absurd prices are.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Is there a point to building a home theater PC in tyool 2020? Right now we just plug one of our laptops in via HDMI

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? 1) Streaming media sites. 2) Video calls.
What's your budget? ~$500 +/-100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Is there a point to building a home theater PC in tyool 2020? Right now we just plug one of our laptops in via HDMI

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? 1) Streaming media sites. 2) Video calls.
What's your budget? ~$500 +/-100

What kind of PC are you looking for? What do you want it to do?

Cheapest possible version would be go on Ebay and buy this (or something of the same model, but preowned)

HP Slim 290-p0043w Celeron G4900 8th Gen 4GB 500GB HDD Win 10H Desktop PC

Then buy some RAM if you want since 4GB of RAM is really not enough to deal with Windows 10.

Also, pick up a USB 3.0 external HDD for your media. Load PLEX on your PC, and use it to organize your media.

(the reason I recommended that HP PC is that the HP Slim 290-p0043w has an 8th gen Intel CPU, with Intel Quick Sync technology, which is basically cheating for watching media, as it won't really load the CPU much at all)