Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

change my name posted:

Why the full size case? Those things are absolutely massive

Not 100% sure. I wanted a portable case (so I can carry it downstairs to the TV when we want to play games on the big screen), but I also wanted a pretty case, and the latter won out. I've also been considering the Cougar Panzer Max-G, the Phanteks Eclipse P600S, and the Cooler Master Q300P, though not from Newegg because it's stupidly priced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Golbez posted:

My current rig largely dates from 2013, with an i5 3570k and 8gb ram. My video card is newer, a GTX 1070, and my monitor is much older, from 2008. So hopefully that explains some of my choices here. It feels a touch like a midlife crisis but I want shiny things. Does any of this look insanely stupid?

System is for: Primarily gaming. I also do graphic design and coding, working from home.
Budget: No set number, nothing insane. Let's say $1000 plus monitor. Helps that I'm not getting a video card.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($142.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB GAMING X Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB ATX Full Tower Case ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($154.99 @ Corsair)
Monitor: Asus ROG Strix XG279Q 27.0" 2560x1440 170 Hz Monitor ($647.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $1385.85

Go to the monitor thread. That's way expensive compared to the thread favorite lg 27". I have it as well and it's great. If you're near microcenter, there's a nice 27" dell ips one on sale for $300 too. Power supply is way overkill (550w is plenty but long warranties make them nice to carry over to another build so going a little over isn't terrible).

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 14, 2020

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I have a full case and the room for it and I don't hate it. But it's not necessary. Not exactly major commentary but i dunno it's big but my PCs have always been big. It's super easy to work in at least, and I know it'll fit any GPU I ever buy.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

At what point do you need to start worrying about graphics card sag? I’ve never owned a card large enough to encounter it, but I am thinking of getting a 3070 next month, and I have a friend who had to buy a special piece of scaffolding to hold his 2070 up so that it didn’t sag and stress the motherboard.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
  • What country are you in? USA
  • What are you using the system for? Scientific computing which is mostly CPU, not GPU, intensive. Some gaming
  • What's your budget? $1300 plus or minus a few hundred dollars. If there are good marginal returns to spending a bit more I’m comfortable with that, or if the performance returns compared to spending are poor near my budget point I'm obviously happy to spend less.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? R, Stan, and a small assortment of related languages and tools. I can confirm that what I do scales with the number of cores. Also, most of what I do lives in memory rather than on disk
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440@60Hz. I will be probably upgrade to 1440@144Hz at some point, but I don’t have a definite plan.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($340 Open Box @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($120 @ Micro Center w/CPU)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($116.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($264.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: ~$1107 (~$1425 after stepping up to a 3070)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-13 09:48 EST-0500

Because my work scales with cores, it seems like picking up a used or open box 3900x is better than a Zen 3 at the same price point? On the graphics card front, my plan is to get an EVGA and step up to a 3070. Does this seem like a reasonable approach? For my work sanity, I’d like to build in the next month or so, but for gaming I don’t mind waiting longer. I think there’s also a small chance that I don’t get back into gaming even with a new computer. Also, will I hate myself for not getting a modular power supply?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Golbez posted:

My current rig largely dates from 2013, with an i5 3570k and 8gb ram. My video card is newer, a GTX 1070, and my monitor is much older, from 2008. So hopefully that explains some of my choices here. It feels a touch like a midlife crisis but I want shiny things. Does any of this look insanely stupid?

Aside from the huge case (more moderately sized and good looking aren't mutually exclusive, there's all sorts of styles at every case size. If you want to carry it around do some more research so you don't cripple your back), I'd say the monitor is way overkill given what's going to be driving it. The GPU is fine for now but if you want to take full advantage of a 144hz 1440p monitor I'd look at upgrading it when you can afford it. And as someone else mentioned the monitor is expensive for what it is, LG have really good models (27GL83A-B, 27GL850-B, 27GN850-B) that can be had for ~$300 less than your choice. Which would go a good chunk of the way to a 3070 to enjoy the screen better.

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011
Hi thread, round two for me in as many weeks. My foolishly optimistic take that I would be able to obtain a 5600X in a reasonable time frame without excessive effort is rapidly evaporating. My local Microcenter is selling the 3700X for $279.99 and I'm having a hard time talking myself out of just buying that and riding it for the next 5+ years.

What country are you in? USA - MD
What are you using the system for? Work, Casual gaming (lots of grand strategy and older multiplayer games, though I'm looking forward to finally being able to play some modern AAA titles)
What's your budget? $1500. I'll pay for quality but don't want to burn money unnecessarily.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? 2-3 VMs (hence 32 GB of memory), vscode.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440@165Hz

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($279.99)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($147.99)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($379.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($20.00)
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 75 CFM 120 mm Fans 2-Pack ($31.04 @ Amazon)
Total: $1265.02
Prices are for local Microcenter
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-14 09:41 EST-0500

Case is my 2008-era Lian Li K7 - it has two filtered 120mm intake fans and one exhaust fan so I assume it will be fine.

Motherboard and graphics card are my main concerns- I know ASRock does weird stuff, though this one seems well reviewed and the price is great. Main complaint seems to be that you can't turn the RGB off but my case has no windows and lives under a desk in my office so I really don't care about dumb lights. Graphics card is just whatever decent EVGA they have in stock at non-absurd prices- I'll use for however many months it takes for me to step up to a 3070.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. If no one calls out any major issues I'll probably mask and glove up and run down to Microcenter either later today or tomorrow morning.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Longbike posted:

Hi thread, round two for me in as many weeks. My foolishly optimistic take that I would be able to obtain a 5600X in a reasonable time frame without excessive effort is rapidly evaporating. My local Microcenter is selling the 3700X for $279.99 and I'm having a hard time talking myself out of just buying that and riding it for the next 5+ years.

What country are you in? USA - MD
What are you using the system for? Work, Casual gaming (lots of grand strategy and older multiplayer games, though I'm looking forward to finally being able to play some modern AAA titles)
What's your budget? $1500. I'll pay for quality but don't want to burn money unnecessarily.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? 2-3 VMs (hence 32 GB of memory), vscode.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440@165Hz

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($279.99)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($147.99)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($379.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($20.00)
Total: $1265.02
Prices are for local Microcenter
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-14 09:41 EST-0500

Case is my 2008-era Lian Li K7 - it has two filtered 120mm intake fans and one exhaust fan so I assume it will be fine.

Motherboard and graphics card are my main concerns- I know ASRock does weird stuff, though this one seems well reviewed and the price is great. Main complaint seems to be that you can't turn the RGB off but my case has no windows and lives under a desk in my office so I really don't care about dumb lights. Graphics card is just whatever decent EVGA they have in stock at non-absurd prices- I'll use for however many months it takes for me to step up to a 3070.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. If no one calls out any major issues I'll probably mask and glove up and run down to Microcenter either later today or tomorrow morning.
If they have a 3600 in stock is not a terrible idea (IMO because it's mine, lol) to pick that up for now and sell it later for the 5000 series. No difference in gaming vs 3700. If you really need the extra cores for work though then go 3700. There's a 1tb wd blue nvme ssd on Amazon for 95 bucks if you want to save a bit. No experience with ASRock though. I bought an MSI for my 5800 and will probably return it for an Asus. It's more of less fine but there's a dumb issue with it I can't figure out (can't see boot up screens without swapping dp to hdmi so I can't see bios otherwise).

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 14, 2020

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Butterfly Valley posted:

How wedded are you to that case? It's not really designed for higher end components, rather for a lower powered HTPC kind of build.

Hi thread. I'm the dude who put a Ryzen 7 3700X and an RTX 3080 FE in a Fractal Design Node 202.

With managed expectations and a dedicated budget for cooling, you can achieve acceptable thermals with this combination. The best option I found for a CPU cooler was the ID-COOLING IS-60 (which has the absolutely maximum supported height for this case) with the stock fan replaced with a Noctua NF-AF12×15. The height puts the fan right next to the filtered vent, allowing it to pull in cool air from outside properly. I also have two 120×25mm PWM fans to bring air into the GPU chamber, constantly running at 60%.

Now comes the "managed expectations" and "acceptable thermals" part. The CPU idles around 45° and peaks at 76° at normal sustained gaming loads, staying normally in the 70° range. The GPU idles at just under 50° and peaks at 83° (!!) but normally stays in the 75°-ish range. Neither peak temperature is damaging to components nor causes thermal throttling, though, and this is without undervolting the GPU. Undervolting brought the peak down to 81°.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with this build, and it was also fun to boot. However, if you are not really really really comfortable with non-SFF building and also looking for a challenge for challenge's sake, a micro-ATX build or larger would almost certainly be more fun and easy while also getting better thermals without requiring more time and money to get in "acceptable" range.

edit: If you want to dive into SFF building, I highly recommend checking out our very own SFF and Mini-ITX thread. Optimum Tech on YouTube also has lots of nice videos on SFF PCs, presented in a very calm and soothing Australian English baritone by the second fittest PC builder I've seen on video.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 14, 2020

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
I decided to swap out the stock cooler on the ryzen 3600 anyway. Cpu idle has gone from 55 average down to 25 average. The NH-D15 is a seriously nice cooler. Totally pointless as I don’t intend to overclock this one, but my own breathing is now louder than the cpu fan, so I guess that’s worth it.

Edit: max temp under load is 57. I can’t rate this cooler highly enough. Makes me wonder if the ryzens really run hot or if the stock cooler is just garbage.

Solly fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 14, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The ryzen stock coolers are just loud but they are adequate at cooling. Running at 55 isn't that bad and within spec. But yeah it's loud.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Does anyone have experience with Microcenter's supply? I have monday off and am toying with dropping down to my local store a bit before it opens to try to get in first thing and snag a 3070. I wake up super early for work and have a hard time sleeping in much anyway, but I'm also lazy and won't bother if there's 0 chance they put them on the shelves or if there'll be a dozen people there by 6 AM.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 14, 2020

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

Mu Zeta posted:

The ryzen stock coolers are just loud but they are adequate at cooling. Running at 55 isn't that bad and within spec. But yeah it's loud.

It’s not the 50 idle that bothered me but the 80 load

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Boxman posted:

Does anyone have experience with Microcenter's supply? I have monday off and am toying with dropping down to my local store a bit before it opens to try to get in first thing and snag a 3070. I wake up super early for work and have a hard time sleeping in much anyway, but I'm also lazy and won't bother if there's 0 chance they put them on the shelves or if there'll be a dozen people there by 6 AM.

There's a "non official microcenter fan server" discord. I used it to get a gauge on my local store (Detroit) and seems they get drops usually from Tuesday-Friday (sometimes Saturday) and people line up before store opens each day at like 6-7am it seems. But it sounds like they are getting a near daily supply, but sometimes only a handful of cards.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 14, 2020

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I'm not sure where to post this. I looked for a thread, but maybe here?

My little set-top mac mini I use for streaming stuff to my tv for the kids is about to die. I was thinking of getting one of those roku or similar streaming devices, but then I thought maybe I can get another small, cheap computer that fills the same purpose.

What do you think? I have no experience with dedicated streaming dongles. Are they okay? Is it a better value to look into a proper computer?

Please feel free to send me to another thread if there's a more appropriate place to ask this.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I don't see anyone getting the recommended DDR4-4000 with their Ryzen 3. Is 3200 still fine and even 3600 is overkill? Would be for 5600X on a B550 board.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

edit: If you want to dive into SFF building, I highly recommend checking out our very own SFF and Mini-ITX thread. Optimum Tech on YouTube also has lots of nice videos on SFF PCs, presented in a very calm and soothing Australian English baritone by the second fittest PC builder I've seen on video.

Yeah I love that channel and have recommended it ITT a few times and am currently collecting the parts for an nr200p build of my own. I think most of your post is probably beyond the OP I was replying to though, as it was their first build ever and they were limited by part availability in their region.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 15, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

I don't see anyone getting the recommended DDR4-4000 with their Ryzen 3. Is 3200 still fine and even 3600 is overkill? Would be for 5600X on a B550 board.

The actual performance difference as shown in many videos by people who've comprehensively tested this poo poo on YouTube is negligible, we're talking one or two frames at most. Personally I'll probably buy 3600 RAM for my 5600x because the price difference is acceptable but beyond that it looks like diminishing returns.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 15, 2020

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I built my current PC in 2009 and upgraded it in 2013... And kind of left it there. I would like to build (or buy, although that's probably not ideal) a new, very capable gaming machine. I think [url=]https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fLwbXb[/url] this build from PC Master Race looks pretty good, although I'm not sufficiently updated and would love feedback. I don't think there's anything I can reuse from my current computer, although I love the case- Antec P182. Should I toss it?

Extra credit- I'm in Mexico City, does anyone know good stores that offer hardware or could assemble the parts if I get them?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

burnsep posted:

would love feedback

Without hyperbole there's not a single sensible item on that list, it looks to be about 4 years old.

If you give us a budget you could get some much better advice. From the monitor on there it looks like you're aiming for 1440p 144hz, which is the current 'sweet spot' in terms of gaming, so that's good. What kind of games do you play, do you need the PC for other productivity or work related tasks etc etc

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

What country are you in? United States.
What are you using the system for? Trying to help my girlfriend put together a gaming PC. Most of the games she's interested in right now aren't very resource-intensive but I have a feeling that'll change shortly and don't want her to end up with something insufficient quickly.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Trying to stay around $1500 or less. She's new to all of this so she needs a PC, monitor, keyboard and mouse.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I threw a 1080p 75Hz monitor in on PC Part Picker, but might bump it up to a 1440p depending on the budget.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($233.33 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.49 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB SC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($403.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Adorama)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: ID-COOLING ZF-12025-PINK 55.2 CFM 120 mm Fan ($16.98 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer HA270 Abi 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor ($159.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1584.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-14 18:47 EST-0500

I'd like to find some ways to get the price down a bit without hurting performance too much, though I'd make room for a 3070 if I found one in stock. She's wanting a pink aesthetic, so things like the pink case fans and the white RGB AIO aren't as negotiable as they could be.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lmao, Ryzen 5 3600s are up to about $250 each and even the "modest" AMD gaming build on the front page of PCpartpicker, shown configured for $780, now costs $1030 if you actually click on the part list. What the heck is going on? Manufacturing shortages?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

mearn posted:

I'd like to find some ways to get the price down a bit without hurting performance too much, though I'd make room for a 3070 if I found one in stock. She's wanting a pink aesthetic, so things like the pink case fans and the white RGB AIO aren't as negotiable as they could be.

Get rid of the liquid cooler and replace it with an air cooler with an RGB fan set to pink if that's what she wants and save ~$100 there. Don't bother with the Ryzen 3600XT just get a 3600 (assuming you can find it at $200). Get a WD SN550 drive instead of the P1 you quoted. Use the savings on the 3070. Get a slightly better PSU for a 3070. Ram and mobo fine. The case looks expensive for what it is.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 15, 2020

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

change my name posted:

Lmao, Ryzen 5 3600s are up to about $250 each and even the "modest" AMD gaming build on the front page of PCpartpicker, shown configured for $780, now costs $1030 if you actually click on the part list. What the heck is going on? Manufacturing shortages?

I’d like to know as well. I was planning a couple PCs for my kids based on the 3400G processor and everywhere went out of stock on them.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Without hyperbole there's not a single sensible item on that list, it looks to be about 4 years old.

If you give us a budget you could get some much better advice. From the monitor on there it looks like you're aiming for 1440p 144hz, which is the current 'sweet spot' in terms of gaming, so that's good. What kind of games do you play, do you need the PC for other productivity or work related tasks etc etc

Thank God. I'm completely out of the loop and will gently caress this up if left alone.

Games-wise I play everything and would like to, for example, run Cyberpunk 2077 with all the trimmings.

Budget-wise I think I'd like to keep it below $2k (but that's pretty flexible), if a high-end monitor can be accommodated in there that would be great.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

KingKapalone posted:

That 4000 suggestion is probably bogus actually, Gamers Nexus mentioned that none of their Zen 3 samples could get the fclk speed fast enough to run 4000 at 1:1, 3800 (I think) was the best they could do and IRL it wasn't much better than their 3200 CL14 kit with tight timings.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

burnsep posted:

Thank God. I'm completely out of the loop and will gently caress this up if left alone.

Games-wise I play everything and would like to, for example, run Cyberpunk 2077 with all the trimmings.

Budget-wise I think I'd like to keep it below $2k (but that's pretty flexible), if a high-end monitor can be accommodated in there that would be great.

Here's a very quick build I threw together, although I don't know how available this would be for you in Mexico. For that kind of price in USD though you should be looking at the latest hot poo poo GPU and CPU which I included, but availability is very limited worldwide for those parts right now (that CPU should be ~$300 and the GPU ~$700). You can definitely fit the monitor thread's recommended 27" 1440p 144hz LG 27GL83A-B in your budget.

I'm sure you could build in your old Antec but it looks huge, although I prefer smaller builds anyway. Other people itt could give you better recommendations for standard ATX size cases and the cooling required for them.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 15, 2020

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

mearn posted:

What are you using the system for? Trying to help my girlfriend put together a gaming PC. Most of the games she's interested in right now aren't very resource-intensive but I have a feeling that'll change shortly and don't want her to end up with something insufficient quickly.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Trying to stay around $1500 or less. She's new to all of this so she needs a PC, monitor, keyboard and mouse.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I threw a 1080p 75Hz monitor in on PC Part Picker, but might bump it up to a 1440p depending on the budget.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($233.33 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.49 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB SC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($403.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Adorama)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer HA270 Abi 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor ($159.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1584.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-14 18:47 EST-0500

I get the desire to make the case pretty but that's a solid $280 spent on looks over performance. Also over budget and you haven't even taken mouse/keyboard/headphones/mic into consideration, which is easily another $200+ for even entry gamer level peripherals.

You can still get all that and a visually appealing case for your price range but those things are going to have to be negotiable if you want longer lasting.

That's not to say you can't go with white and pink; a white p400a RGB is $90 and you can set them to pink only. Just saying to reconsider the RGB inside the case to fit your budget.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 15, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did we ever get clarification on whether the number of RAM sticks had an effect on the performance of the 5600X? I think there was some discussion last week that a certain combination was better than others.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

change my name posted:

As it's competing with Zen3 for fab time it's probably out of major production.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did we ever get clarification on whether the number of RAM sticks had an effect on the performance of the 5600X? I think there was some discussion last week that a certain combination was better than others.

Gamers nexus did a video on it. He had 4x8gb sticks and picked up as much as 10% iirc. Nothing needed the extra ram vs. 16gb but it still improved performance.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Gamers nexus did a video on it. He had 4x8gb sticks and picked up as much as 10% iirc. Nothing needed the extra ram vs. 16gb but it still improved performance.
Yeah I think that was the video that was discussed, but has this been reported elsewhere too?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
https://www.techspot.com/article/2140-ryzen-5000-memory-performance/

But it's probably not the number of sticks that's important, it's the number of ranks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Llamadeus posted:

But it's probably not the number of sticks that's important, it's the number of ranks
Thanks, I have a 5600X purchased but I haven't bought RAM yet so I want to make sure it is the correct one

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Getting a second opinion here. Theoretically in the coming weeks if some of this stuff or something similar goes on sale the goal is for me to build a new workstation. Not expecting to buy it all at once with how the AMD 5000 series is stocking at the moment

Use? Workstation by day, some gaming by night. A lot of the load case is 3D CAD modeling and RAM hogging multiphysics simulation, hence 128GB & fast. Solidworks, ANSYS, NX, and a ton of lower end stuff.
What's your budget? Shy of $3k after an GPU refresh down the line.
monitor resolution? 2x LG 34" ultrawides @2560x1080, and upgrading those circa 2022 to whatever 4k equivalent ultrawides turn out to be + occasionally a straight 1080p TV

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPKkJf

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB for a RAID 1. I've got bulk storage through the 10gbe
Video Card: (Carryover that I already have) MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Dark ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold
Wired Network Adapter: Asus XG-C100C PCIe x4 10 Gbit/s
$2300

I have no idea what i'd eventually update the video card too, Probably an RX6800 or an RTX 3070?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

PhilippAchtel posted:

I'm not sure where to post this. I looked for a thread, but maybe here?

My little set-top mac mini I use for streaming stuff to my tv for the kids is about to die. I was thinking of getting one of those roku or similar streaming devices, but then I thought maybe I can get another small, cheap computer that fills the same purpose.

What do you think? I have no experience with dedicated streaming dongles. Are they okay? Is it a better value to look into a proper computer?

Please feel free to send me to another thread if there's a more appropriate place to ask this.

the best answer is probably an nvidia shield if you're willing to spend a bit of cash, there's an "htpc thread (don't buy an htpc)" in Inspect Your Gadgets that can point you more seriously. The Roku Ultra is also decent and will be ~$70 during the black friday week if you don't need the more advanced features.

The streaming dongles are pretty nice, honestly. Even I'm to the point where my TV's built in apps do everything I need including Plex, I just sort of like the HTPC setup & being able to watch literally anything, and blocking ads.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 15, 2020

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
lol of course the case I was set on has gone out of production, there might be a local computer shop with some in inventory but otherwise the only ones I can find online are inflated eBay auctions.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

3600 is paradoxically faster than 4000, because at 4000 you cut your FCLK in half in order to stay below 2GHz Infinity Fabric clock speed (you can attempt to force 2GHz FCLK via manually tuning your RAM, but it's very unstable/silicon lottery poo poo). 3200 or 3600 are both fine speeds though.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 15, 2020

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Suburban Dad posted:

Llamadeus posted:

So when I do finally get a 3080 and 5900X and can complete my build in late 2022, according to this information 4 high-quality 8GB sticks are better than 2 16 GB sticks, as I don't plan on going beyond 32GB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Samadhi posted:

So when I do finally get a 3080 and 5900X and can complete my build in late 2022, according to this information 4 high-quality 8GB sticks are better than 2 16 GB sticks, as I don't plan on going beyond 32GB?

Not necessarily because 16 GB sticks are usually dual rank.

"But it's probably not the number of sticks that's important, it's the number of ranks"