Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gohmak posted:

I sincerely hope we see the Darksaber in The Mandalorian

It was last seen 10 years before the events in The Mandalorian on planet Mandalore (in the Rebels cartoon series ) and it kind've feels like the Mandalorian series is trying to avoid anything to do with the Mandalorians' home planet, but apparently the Empire kicked the absolute poo poo out of Mandalore during The Great Purge and we don't know exactly when that happened so who knows where the Darksaber might be now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is everyone calling him Mando doing a space racism like if I called Chewie “hey Wookie!” Or is it more like calling someone a Frenchie? Is Mandaloria like a culture or a religion or a race or what? I feel like the show plays fast and loose with it by design but everyone calling him Mando seems... uh, rude I guess?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

Is everyone calling him Mando doing a space racism like if I called Chewie “hey Wookie!” Or is it more like calling someone a Frenchie? Is Mandaloria like a culture or a religion or a race or what? I feel like the show plays fast and loose with it by design but everyone calling him Mando seems... uh, rude I guess?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bust Rodd posted:

love how this series is really turning people into galaxy brain thought-havers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We could call him by his real name, Frex Jamstar, I guess

E: we should call him Blondie :clint:

zoux fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 27, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It was a mistake to ask Star Wars fans an earnest question and not expect them to be wet assholes about it lol

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

It was a mistake to ask Star Wars fans an earnest question and not expect them to be wet assholes about it lol

Does he kill/bitchslap/insult anyone who does? No? Then it probably isn't racism. Or at least it's not racism that he gives a wet rear end in a top hat's fart about punishing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Everyone posted:

Does he kill/bitchslap/insult anyone who does? No? Then it probably isn't racism. Or at least it's not racism that he gives a wet rear end in a top hat's fart about punishing.

Mando doesn’t seem like the kind of person to get into fights like that, he’s frequently shown to descalate things. In the Bill Burr episode he doesn’t even swing at Bill when he threatens to steal the baby. I don’t think it’s weird to presume people are disrespectful of a mysterious armored alien with weird customs, or that they’d come up with a slur for him, like how Bill Burr calls the Twi’Lek a “Crazy Tweek”.
Space racism is a part of Star Wars, like how everyone treats Tuskens and Jawas

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
How is saying "Hey Wookie" to a Wookie racist/specist?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

PureRok posted:

Because Wookiee’s have names? Do the people in your life or at your job call you by your ethnicity? How would you feel if they did that?

Maybe things are different in Space but to me it seems rude. No one ever, EVER says “HEY HUMAN!” like that

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

PureRok posted:

You wouldn't say "Hey, Chinaman" would you?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm pretty sure in a pan galactic civilization with thousands of intelligent species, sapient beings would be species-ist as hell. Humans are already racist as gently caress irl and there aren’t actually anything but superficial phenotypical differences between ethnic groups. But like different species of intelligent beings could have actual and significant differences, could be more or less aggressive, intelligent, xenophobic, war-like etc.

It is (or was) canon that the Empire was very racist, which is every Imperial officer is a human, except Thrawn.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PureRok posted:

Because the actual word is "Wookiee" with a double e. Please stop using the hard-e W-word it's very offensive.

Bust Rodd posted:

Because Wookiee’s have names? Do the people in your life or at your job call you by your ethnicity? How would you feel if they did that?

Maybe things are different in Space but to me it seems rude. No one ever, EVER says “HEY HUMAN!” like that
Well not directly to their face :v:

Droid-human relations are a different matter, thanks to the Clone Wars there's a LOT of humans who are droid racist (including Mando)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 27, 2019

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
I think of it as yet another nod to classic westerns.
Like when the hero walks into a saloon and people would adress him as "cowboy" or "gringo" or whatever.
And of course that setting is also full of racism.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They call him Mando because that's what they call him. I'm sure that's about as much thought as the writers put into it and that's how much thought you should put into it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

veni veni veni posted:

They call him Mando because that's what they call him. I'm sure that's about as much thought as the writers put into it and that's how much thought you should put into it.

Also his tribe is living in a secret underground enclave where they only ever leave one at a time (except if poo poo hits the fan) so every time he steps outside he's stepping into the role of "the only Mandalorian we see around town ever" so it's probably a deliberate choice to keep non-Mandalorians from knowing his name.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
He never gives his name to anyone, what's everyone supposed to call him, "hey, you"?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just don’t see the character that we’ve been given ever turning to someone and going “you can call me... Mando.”

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I take it you guys have never seen Yojimbo or Sanjuro or The Good, The Bad And The Ugly or Fistful Of Dollars or For A Few Dollars More

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Bust Rodd posted:

I just don’t see the character that we’ve been given ever turning to someone and going “you can call me... Mando.”

I highly doubt he ever did, they just call him that for lack of anything else.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I take it you guys have never seen Yojimbo or Sanjuro or The Good, The Bad And The Ugly or Fistful Of Dollars or For A Few Dollars More

Also this.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

zoux posted:

Anyway, someone earlier said this show acts like the prequels never happened

That person must have missed the part where Mando has a deep and abiding distrust of droids due to his home planet being attacked by murderous CIS droid forces and nearly being killed by the same seperatist B2 super battle droid that slaughtered his parents.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

PureRok posted:

In the Shadows of the Empire comic book, some working grunt refers to Chewie as "the Wook" - which I thought worked pretty well as a speciesist slander.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Episode 8 is up, you scuzzbuckets.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is the trooper with the bag Jason Sudeikis?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIT THAT ENDING

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was a solid finale.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Is the trooper with the bag Jason Sudeikis?

I dunno, but that whole scene i was borderline giggling

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Joe Schmoe Stormtroopers with personalities was outstanding.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

thats how you do a star war.

gently caress the wait for s2 is gonna suck

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones
Wow, it didn’t quite end the way I thought it would.

Wow is all I can say.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rocksicles posted:

I've just rewound to re-watch the pre-credit sequence again I was so loving amused. I haven't got past the credits, I'm just watching that scene twice in a row because ROFLMAO.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Gonz posted:

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIT THAT ENDING

Yeah hooooooooly poo poo DARKSABER BIIIIIIITCHES

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Start was a bit weak, stormtrooper chat tends to be bad but whatever.

Good episode, with a few lore dumps throughout which has helped to flesh out the characters a bit more.

Plus, ya know. Darksaber is back, RIP Bo-Katan.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

drunkill posted:

Start was a bit weak, stormtrooper chat tends to be bad but whatever.

man your brain is bent.

In other news that epsidoe was better than 2 whole billion dollar movies

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Jason Sudeikis & Adam Pally were the scout troopers lmao

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I liked episodes 7-9 quite a bit, so I can't get behind the Mandalorian being better than the recent films, but it's certainly on par and I think it's a very valid opinion because while I liked the movies they had some pretty obvious flaws, and the Mandalorian is much more of a streamlined package with fewer weak points. It does some stuff really well that the films didn't, and the films did some stuff well that the Mandalorian doesn't. Really to me it comes across as two parts of the same whole and I'm excited for future Star Wars Disney+ projects that further flesh out the universe, and bring in the occasional vibroblade or you know what from the end of the episode as part of my continued desire to see more elements from all aspects of Star Wars (books, animated shows, etc.) in live action.

A fun finale here, though the Prisoner is still my top episode of the season because I felt that just a really fun story that was super well executed. I also admire that they struck a good balance between losing some characters to raise stakes and leaving plenty on the table to come back again in future seasons.

Jerkface posted:

Jason Sudeikis & Adam Pally were the scout troopers lmao

Nice, it's been really fun to see so many comedians get to come in for nice little roles here and there. I hope that trend continues. I was really hoping we'd see that officer executed once they brought that up, a drat shame that didn't happen on screen.

Put me down for hoping that Sudeikis appearing is a possible sign that Olivia Wilde comes in for an episode, I'm sure she could pull off a hell of a Star Wars character. I also would really like to see Mando head into systems under proper New Republic control next season. Seeing a planet that's not having crazy battles all the time and running smoothly under a non-evil multi-planet government would really interest me. Basically I want Mando showing up to a fancy space library in full armor.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 27, 2019

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

drunkill posted:

Good episode, with a few lore dumps throughout which has helped to flesh out the characters a bit more.

Yeah, little things like Cara Dune being from Alderaan or Greef Karga being a disgraced magistrate really fleshed out the characters.

Plus I LOLed at the Mando going "It's not a race. It's" (looking directly at Carl Weathers) "a Creed."

The biker scouts having their discussion had me giggling as well, but them constantly missing the target was a bit too much. Also one of them goes "oh my god" at some point, which sounded a bit too earthly to me. Nonetheless they deserved what they got for hitting baby Yoda.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Dave Syndrome posted:

The biker scouts having their discussion had me giggling as well, but them constantly missing the target was a bit too much. Also one of them goes "oh my god" at some point, which sounded a bit too earthly to me. Nonetheless they deserved what they got for hitting baby Yoda.

It's a minor thing, but the books really go all-in on giving as many alternate words for earth things as they can. Hackers become slicers, bathrooms become refreshers, and so on. I was a bit sad that the Mandalorian didn't go quite as far asthey could with that, and using words like "oh my god" is one example of that. I guess it's better to use language that sounds natural to the 98% or so of people watching who aren't way deep into the books though.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
OMG, the darksaber :aaa:

Fantastic episode!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah it's like it was just a fun ending that hit all the beats people would expect and setup what the show would be going forward, and then throws one little crazy "Hey. Hey. Why see something cool?" shot at the end to tie it in to the wider universe in a way relevant to the cartoons in general and Mandalorians in particular. loving Darksaber, really? God bless you show.