Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i never took the buster sword off cloud, which on one hand meant that he had by far the smallest materia pool of the cast but on the other hand gently caress you it's the buster sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

JBP posted:

I want them to stand on the sidelines cheering. I don't care how dumb it is

Commentating like in the Coliseum

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

i never took the buster sword off cloud, which on one hand meant that he had by far the smallest materia pool of the cast but on the other hand gently caress you it's the buster sword

So you never learned the triple slash ability?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I really won't like it if the story dictates your party in future parts. They'd have to find convoluted excuses to keep them out of the action or constantly split the group up - which is what FFXIII did so horribly.

I'd much rather they fade in and out of existence when they're not involved in a battle or a cutscene.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

So you never learned the triple slash ability?

after i mastered the other weapons' skills, of course

if i'm going to be staring at a single weapon for most of the game i want it to be a slightly blunter helicopter propeller

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I switch back to ol' Busty whenever I've learned the new skill. Barret permenantly has Big Bertha mostly because it's called Big Bertha.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Normal is fully use whatever's coolest territory, but Buster Sword doesn't have Reprieve which really limits its usefulness on Hard

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

:same:

I think hardege suited my playstyle a little better but buster sword looked cooler so I stuck with that.

I liked that a lot about this game. One thing that sucked about the original was that the buster sword is supposed to be an ~~iconic weapon~~ but you drop it like a sack of poo poo and never touch it again after your first weapon upgrade. In this one, the upgrade system (for all its faults) and weapon stat spread makes it at least serviceable if not optimal throughout the entire game, or at least on lower difficulties, couldn't speak to hard mode.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I like filling out my weapon trees but it looks like you *need* to replay on Hard to even just get to level 6? Annoying.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SettingSun posted:

I like filling out my weapon trees but it looks like you *need* to replay on Hard to even just get to level 6? Annoying.

Yes, you do need to play on Hard. Granted it wont take long on Hard to get the SP you need. Then it'll just be needing to play the rest of it to unlock every skill.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Is the nail bat worth it? I know it’s a crit weapon but it just seems really weak.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I realized Barret is a deceptively painful damage dealer right about when the game makes him your only character for a few fights. Big Bertha and specced for attack damage he's just ruinous.

Magic Attack paradoxically makes your heals better, so whenever Aerith isn't in the party I use Cloud with a Magic Attack specced Iron Sword to use extended range Curaga to heal the entire party for 4k health at a time and that's been going pretty well. Single target heal is something like 6500 at the level I'm at, where the highest health in the party is like 5500. :v:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik posted:

In that particular fight it doesn't really matter but the game will push you harder and harder to have all four characters combat-ready at all times as it goes on.

I don't think there's ever any point where you have both Barret and Aerith in your party, since Barret and Aerith both fill the same sort of support function for your team, so spec them to share a similar combat role; Aerith as a general mage character and Barret as more of a defensively-specced ranged attacker and healer.

Arsenal

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Woofer posted:

Is the nail bat worth it? I know it’s a crit weapon but it just seems really weak.

The Punisher mode strong attacks send enemies flying if that matters to you.

Also playing through chapter 18 with the Nail Bat makes every cutscene much better so that makes it all worth it. Beat up the final boss with a baseball bat.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Woofer posted:

Every weapon can be devastating in its own right. Throw on Luck Up with the Nail Bat, and watch the Critical Hits roll in and the damage just erupt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F8W2tsJQUY

EDIT: VIDEO LINKS TO THE FINAL BOSS WARNING

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 22, 2020

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I find it really funny that the Nail Bat is a reward that a child gives you. Thanks kid!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Strobe posted:

I realized Barret is a deceptively painful damage dealer right about when the game makes him your only character for a few fights. Big Bertha and specced for attack damage he's just ruinous.

When learning his weapon skill for the cutter, I realized you can stunlock enemies with his shoulder charge, attack once/twice to fill your atb, then use that to do the weapon skill which charges your shoulder charge again.... Repeat.

The enemies in the collapsed walkway in chapter 14 guarding the chocobo never made a clone because barret was loving them over, repeatedly. It was great.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Veib posted:

Normal is fully use whatever's coolest territory, but Buster Sword doesn't have Reprieve which really limits its usefulness on Hard

I've nearly finished hard and I use the buster sword almost exclusively unless I really want to blow something up with magic. I don't think reprieve is all that useful outside of me loving up badly since I make sure the party has revive materia and barrier all, which is really the standout spell for me. Buster sword has great attack/magic balance and it has defence bonuses on top.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

bewilderment posted:

Also playing through chapter 18 with the Nail Bat makes every cutscene much better so that makes it all worth it. Beat up the final boss with a baseball bat.

I’m batting worse than someone with no arms would bat in the majors.

Seems like I’m either getting hit by a different enemy mid windup if I’m trying to hit a staggered enemy or I don’t even try it because whatever I’m aiming for is just going to move.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Yeah the nail bat loving owns. Spec for luck, crit chance, and crit damage and spam Punisher mode swings. It's crazy good.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Oxxidation posted:

That doesn't really matter in the end. Once you hit level 6 every single weapon can get 6 dual pair linked materia slots. It's pretty great.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can't wait for the remixes of Lifestream and You Can Hear The Cries Of The Planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9v7hx93IQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBRAkpXTmCs

Best songs in the game.

drat getting chills thinking about seeing the City of the Ancients rendered in full coral glory with a trippy as gently caress skybox

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

For anyone having trouble with Chapter 12 boss in hard mode put parry on Tifa and just R1+ dodge around the arena. Reno and Rude arent fast enough to keep up with her. I mainly used it to recover from dire situations.

This is also one of the many fights that is trivialized by Chi Trap.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Disorder is Cloud’s best weapon skill.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This but include Marvel vs Capcom style switch attacks

:sickos:

Hell yeah, give me assists from the background party members. Also launches so I can do tag combos

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've seen a lot of folks fight Roche now and it's funny how I think none of them actually tried blocking in Punisher Mode.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dawgstar posted:

I've seen a lot of folks fight Roche now and it's funny how I think none of them actually tried blocking in Punisher Mode.

I didn't know how the parry worked and forgot it existed so it was just me smacking him a couple times then getting out of his way.

So yeah basically.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What's so great about Disorder? It seems like a slightly fancier mode-switch that burns an ATB bar. I don't get it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sapozhnik posted:

What's so great about Disorder? It seems like a slightly fancier mode-switch that burns an ATB bar. I don't get it.

Disorder from Punisher to Operator deals a lot of damage and hits real hard

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dawgstar posted:

Every 5-10 hours I remember that there's a block button. Sue me.

night slime
May 14, 2014

bewilderment posted:

I was playing with the nail bat during 17 just because it was funny and a sword sheathe sound played when he put it away.

Next game should just go full MGS2 and have Zack going around recruiting the characters that weren't in this.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

it’s way more elegant of a switch between modes if you’re on the offense. In my experience I have to stop my combos dead with Cloud in order for the input to register whereas I’m perfectly OK burning an ATB bar in order to continuing reeling in the damage especially when the target is staggered.

In short, it feels awesome in the palm of my hands.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

stev posted:

Every 5-10 hours I remember that there's a block button. Sue me.

I beat the whole game and just now learned that the animation that plays when you switch from operator to punisher acts as a counterattack. IE if someone attacks you during the switching animation you act as though you blocked them in punisher stance and can counter melees. This whole time I thought it was just a time waster!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Replaying early chapters on Hard Mode and I noticed that Kyrie is on the train after the first bombing, and you can see her moving around trying to pick people's pockets, many MANY hours before she is properly introduced as a side character. Pretty nice detail.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

In the og game it’s funny when everyone talks up Cloud as being this bad rear end ex-Soldier when his Fight command isn’t appreciably stronger than the rest of the team at the start.

In the Remake I really understood why Cloud is considered an impressive fighter.

At least until Tifa shows up lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tifa was trained by one of the greatest martial artists in the world

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So when I unlocked the fight with Leviathan at the start of Chapter 13, he straight one shot me through blocks from full health with his big AoE hit all attack (Tidal Wave?). I am in chapter 14 now, which I assume is when you're really supposed to fighting him based on that Chapter 13 experience. Is there a recommended set of weapons, gear, or materia to fight him, beyond having lightning and healing materia, of course?

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Augus posted:

Replaying early chapters on Hard Mode and I noticed that Kyrie is on the train after the first bombing, and you can see her moving around trying to pick people's pockets, many MANY hours before she is properly introduced as a side character. Pretty nice detail.

I didn't actually see her in the train, but I did notice a side-conversation text pop up with ??? as the speaker. Realized it was probably her when I noticed her trying to scam a group of people for 3 gil outside Seventh Heaven when it was time for Tifa to take me to my apartment (or was it the next morning? The early chapters feel so long ago).

Vanrushal fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 22, 2020

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

marshmallow creep posted:

So when I unlocked the fight with Leviathan at the start of Chapter 13, he straight one shot me through blocks from full health with his big AoE hit all attack (Tidal Wave?). I am in chapter 14 now, which I assume is when you're really supposed to fighting him based on that Chapter 13 experience. Is there a recommended set of weapons, gear, or materia to fight him, beyond having lightning and healing materia, of course?

If you just want the summon materia, there is no shame in temporarily lowering the difficulty to Easy in order to chump him. Link lightning+elemental to both Cloud and Barret's weapons, use a spell to pressure him and then unload focused thrust/shot to pretty much immediately stagger him. Switch to Tifa and dump a few triangle chains to boost the stagger damage % and then go to town. He dies in about two cycles of that and you don't even have to heal once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

Disorder can pressure lighter enemies, actually builds up a bunch of ATB still, does a ton of damage, and doesn't require you to stop attacking in order to mode switch, essentially. Also it's very strong.