Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The goal is to keep it from coming to that as much as possible. It's a tremendously complicated issue and will vary from species to species. The thing is we are extremely good at destroying things and protecting them can something feel like a losing battle. But there are still people and organizations around the world who are trying to save as much as possible. Like I said, zoos are just one tool in the conservation toolbox. They just happen to be the most visible one because ONE part of their function is to make wildlife accessible to the general public. To teach people about what is being protected and to hopefully make them care about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lotta emotions flying around because of that stupid Tiger show on Netflix. I've seen dozens of ZOO BAD posts on facebook since it dropped.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Grem posted:

I want to say first off that I really don't know much about zoos, and do believe there's good in them, but if a species would have gone extinct in the wild and humans keep them alive in zoos, isn't that just exploitative? Like the last giraffes on earth aren't going to be happy in a tiny little enclosure, so are we saving them for our own entertainment (and education, I guess) or for their sake? I see it as a very cloudy issue so I am genuinely curious on what people who are adament zoos are a good thing think.

The point isn't to just raise them in zoos to gawk at, it's to get their numbers up high enough they can replenish a wild population.

pahuyuth posted:

Help me out thread

In either a good or bad way I don't care, but.... Under The Dome or Falling Skies and why? I need something when taking a break from The Last Ship.

I never saw the final season of either so I don't how goofy bad they got.

Alternate suggestion if you want goofy writing; The Librarians.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I think about how many people would never be able to see these animals and understand why conservation is so important without zoos, they might have started from a place of exploitation but that's not what the vast majority of them are now. There's something special about seeing an elephant or lion with your own eyes, it's a level of appreciation that films/pictures can't capture.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sometimes you just crave a lovely pizza lunchable even though there’s a perfectly fine Filet Mignon sitting in the fridge. :shrug:

A Totino’s, sure, but lunchables?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

Lotta emotions flying around because of that stupid Tiger show on Netflix. I've seen dozens of ZOO BAD posts on facebook since it dropped.

People who smirk and roll their eyes at all the dunning-kruger cases saying the pandemic isn't a big deal because they think they know better than the professionals who have dedicated their lives to the subject and operate on emotion rather than logic turning around and going ZOOS BAD because a TV show made them sad and like animals should be free maaaan is really something else.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So what is this whole Tiger show? I didn't realize that's what started zoo chat

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Croatoan posted:

So what is this whole Tiger show? I didn't realize that's what started zoo chat

It's a documentary on Netflix about a guy who owned a tiger zoo in Oklahoma, vis a vis the whole exotic cat trade going on in America. It's insane and basically everyone who is featured in it is the slimiest motherfucker that ever lived and they all deserve what's coming to them.

People are gonna have a lot of bad takes about zoos over the coming months but it is fairly important to highlight the issues going on with private zoos and big cat ownership because man these people don't know what the gently caress they are doing. Jeff Lowe is STILL fuckin' at it, and that man should not be allowed to run a drat zoo. Ditto Doc Antle, Doctor of Mystical Science and harem master.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 28, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, Tiger King is a pro watch. Each episode is only 45m long (so I'm guessing Netflix picked it up, but it was meant for a cable channel) so I did all 7 in a row yesterday. Not even long intros that you'll want to skip! Everyone is awful bar a few of the supporting "characters", people you initially like will disappoint you. It's a wild turn at every opportunity, and for the most part unlike a lot of NF docs it doesn't feel like the director is having to mold the story to fit his image, it's just all so loving wild he can just assemble the clips and make a compelling show.

Not really a spoiler, but I love that in about episode 5 or so during his government run, after we know he's a loving loon and everyone in the area knows he's a loving loon, they still manage to get vox pops of locals saying how he couldn't be any worse than the others, and it's just like watching Trump voters (who I'm sure are exactly the same people) who will just vote for any old idiot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pahuyuth posted:

Help me out thread

In either a good or bad way I don't care, but.... Under The Dome or Falling Skies and why? I need something when taking a break from The Last Ship.

I never saw the final season of either so I don't how goofy bad they got.

Falling Skies is a Walking Dead case where the first episode or two is incredible but it rapidly spins its wheels. It should have been a novel, it doesn’t have enough plot for being a TV series but at least the actual plot is pretty good. Shame the overarching story doesn’t get as much focus as the dumbass characters.

Sleeveless posted:

People who smirk and roll their eyes at all the dunning-kruger cases saying the pandemic isn't a big deal because they think they know better than the professionals who have dedicated their lives to the subject and operate on emotion rather than logic turning around and going ZOOS BAD because a TV show made them sad and like animals should be free maaaan is really something else.

It’s super obnoxious. Zoos do so much stuff in terms of quality of life for the animals (the Roger Williams zoo in Providence just started doing laser treatments for old animals arthritis!) and will even tell you the how’s and whys of the situation with them keeping something in the zoo if you bother to go. Not to mention all the conservation education and work they do.

Unrelated, if any couch chat goons are having a hard time, economically or otherwise, with all this pandemic stuff, my PMs are always open.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Trash of the Titans is the first episode where Homer is just an unrepentant jackass with no redeeming qualities right?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

pahuyuth posted:

I was also considering Revenge

don't

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Trash of the Titans is the first episode where Homer is just an unrepentant jackass with no redeeming qualities right?

He is pretty fuckin' bad in the Bigger Brothers episode, and things only work out for Pepi due to luck, essentially. Good episode, though.

You could argue that he's pretty irredeemable in earlier episodes too, the Streetcar episode comes to mind. I don't think the whole "husband is an egocentric, psychologically damaging presence in the relationship but oh it's fine because he shows he cares at the end of the episode" would fly if someone did it in a modern sitcom, but I don't know.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Hakkesshu posted:

He is pretty fuckin' bad in the Bigger Brothers episode, and things only work out for Pepi due to luck, essentially. Good episode, though.

You could argue that he's pretty irredeemable in earlier episodes too, the Streetcar episode comes to mind. I don't think the whole "husband is an egocentric, psychologically damaging presence in the relationship but oh it's fine because he shows he cares at the end of the episode" would fly if someone did it in a modern sitcom, but I don't know.

At least in bigger brothers he's sorry for forgetting about Bart, same in the streetcar episode. In trash he's unrepentant for being an rear end in a top hat and essentially destroying Springfield and he never gets any comeuppance

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Alternate suggestion if you want goofy writing; The Librarians.

This show got me through some hard times. It's dreadfully twee and silly but it has genuine heart.
Also Matt Frewer steals every scene he is in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was going to reply to that Sleeveless post but then I stopped myself because it's a Sleeveless post. But basically watching Tiger King didn't suddenly make me think zoos are bad. I've thought that for years because the few zoos I've been to have all felt exploitative. Maybe there are some good zoos I'm unaware of that are actually giving animals a semblance of their natural habitat, but yeah, I've yet to see them.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Unrelated, if any couch chat goons are having a hard time, economically or otherwise, with all this pandemic stuff, my PMs are always open.
:same:

I've got depression and anxiety and have for way longer than this pandemic, so I'm probably not the best to talk to, but I'll sure as hell listen if you need to vent :love:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's no "maybe" about it. I can't speak to your personal experience but it isn't reflective of zoos as a whole.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Episode 2 of Tiger King is making me feel all gross and dirty. Nobody whos involved in this is a good person.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DurosKlav posted:

Episode 2 of Tiger King is making me feel all gross and dirty. Nobody whos involved in this is a good person.

It’s honestly incredible how much worse they all get by the end of the series. Even just setting aside the animal poo poo and the legal battles, Joe and the Myrtle Beach guy seem like seriously abusive predators to their sexual partners. Joe goes young and controls them with drugs, Myrtle Beach Ponytail Guy dehumanizes them and treats them like property. It’s gross as hell.

gently caress I even forgot about Jeff treating his 20ish wife like poo poo once she’s pregnant, openly Facebook stalking their future nanny’s profile and talking about her how hot she is right in front of Lauren.

gently caress all these people.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 28, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Doc Antle definitely hosed one of those cats too. Him talking about his “special love” of the cats was some Troy McClure aquarium type poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of wonder how TV shows are going to react to the pandemic when they come back. Just ignore it? Write it in to the show?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would guess that like something like Trump you'll have some shows that kind of wink at it, some that kind of make reference in passing, and some that write metaphor stories parallel to it, but probably not a lot that directly write it into the narrative or anything.

The mind gently caress is that CBS as a remake of The Stand deep into the works if not already ready for air. That could either be really controversial, weirdly therapeutic, or never see the light of day.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I was wondering the other day if all this would a) have a 9/11 effect where every single piece of media referenced it in some way and it influenced poo poo for years to come or b) everyone would be so sick of dealing with the prolonged circumstances that no one other than the biggest idiot hacks would even broach the subject with more than a passing reference.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's going to be pretty overt like Spielberg's War of the Worlds.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was wondering the other day if all this would a) have a 9/11 effect where every single piece of media referenced it in some way and it influenced poo poo for years to come or b) everyone would be so sick of dealing with the prolonged circumstances that no one other than the biggest idiot hacks would even broach the subject with more than a passing reference.

A lot of it probably just depends on how bad things get. Like obviously its already bad and 30K+ dead is huge. But like if a few months from now we're still hiding in our homes and looking at a million dead and the US making choices of who to treat and people dying outside of hospitals from heartattacks then poo poo gets way darker.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of wonder how TV shows are going to react to the pandemic when they come back. Just ignore it? Write it in to the show?

One of the med procedurals this week already had a corona-themed episode.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, the frustrating thing about bad-Simpsons is that all the things that make it bad were also present when the show was still good. I can't really define how it changed for the worse, beyond vague sentiments like "It stopped being funny".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That chart tells you almost nothing. It's mostly useful to find out which episodes got review-bombed or that people still think the single best episode of Breaking Bad is boring.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
drat, Person of Interest really does keep up the quality though. Incredibly consistent show.

Watching Westworld season 3 is basically making me want to rewatch PoI, the same themes except with characters I like.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Arist posted:

That chart tells you almost nothing. It's mostly useful to find out which episodes got review-bombed or that people still think the single best episode of Breaking Bad is boring.

I’m sure a hefty hefty portion of those Fly reviews are also just dipshit anti-TLJ neckbeards who went and review bombed every single Rian Johnson listing on IMDb.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m sure a hefty hefty portion of those Fly reviews are also just dipshit anti-TLJ neckbeards who went and review bombed every single Rian Johnson listing on IMDb.

I feel like you're giving them too much credit, because if they did that they'd have to in the process learn that he made their favorite episode, "Ozymandias"

Again, not to be confused with the best episode, which is "Fly."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The worst TNG episode is Sub Rosa and it's not even close.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok, I absolutely have to see the SVU episode ‘Intimidation Game’ it seems.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gonz posted:

Sub Rosa is at least goofy as gently caress. Shades of Grey is just a clip show. The actual worst episode is probably something like the ultra-racist Code of Honor.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ok, I absolutely have to see the SVU episode ‘Intimidation Game’ it seems.

Pretty sure it's just the Gamergate episode and got review-bombed for that. I doubt it's even particularly interesting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

^^ ahh makes sense.

Also I posted in the CBB thread but if you like Big Mouth, pretty much the whole cast did a table read on zoom (presumably) and it’s fun, and they’re raising money for a good cause. It’s a shame it’s not a new episode given they’ve written 2 seasons ahead already but maybe due to the format it’s easier to follow one you know. It’s cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apyPyWkuOD8

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gonz posted:

quote:

The production staff noted that fan response to the episode was split along gender lines, with men hating "Sub Rosa" and women loving it. (Captains' Logs: The Unauthorized Complete Trek Voyages)

Braga noted the show was not popular among who he dubbed "hard-core fans". "I've come to notice that whenever you infuse a show with sexual themes, some of these fans seem to short-circuit. I mean, the weather array malfunction causing thunderstorms – it was fun!" (Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion)

René Echevarria recalled, "I can still reduce Brannon to shudders when I go into his office and say, 'I can travel on the power transfer beam'. But the cast loved it. Every woman on the lot who read it was coming up to Brannon and patting him. Ultimately I think it was worth doing because it was campy fun and the production values were wonderful. The sets look great and everybody threw themselves into it. Gates did a wonderful job. It just got bigger and broader and to the point of grandmother leaping out of the grave. Just having Beverly basically writhing around having an orgasm at 6 o'clock on family TV was great. For that alone it was worth doing. We got away with murder." (Captains' Logs: The Unauthorized Complete Trek Voyages)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's certainly not the actors' faults that the episode gets a bad rap.

But spooky Scottish candle sex ghost was hilariously bad. I mean, wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I want West Wing to come back and do an episode on the importance of social distancing.