Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Robindaybird posted:

Pirates of Dark Water *very hastily* resolved the issue of the titular dark water (as they were alerted to being cancelled early due to how expensive the series was), though given how hasty it was, it can easily be amended.
I thought it was a half-measure? Like the hero's home was restored (or half-restored) but the rest of the treasures became harder to locate for some reason and it just halter the advance of the dark water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Who the gently caress wanted a reboot of Johnny test? https://twitter.com/WildBrainHQ/status/1220438102512209922

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Robindaybird posted:

Who the gently caress wanted a reboot of Johnny test? https://twitter.com/WildBrainHQ/status/1220438102512209922
No one, but the canadian gov basically pays for it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A lot of cartoons are accused of making kids dumber, but an actual study found that Johnny Test did make kids who watched it dumber.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Robindaybird posted:

Who the gently caress wanted a reboot of Johnny test?

Test audiences :rimshot:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
BOO!!!!!!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Wasnt Johnny Test like the inverse of Dexter's Lab

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, the main inversion was that Dexter's Lab was good.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Uncle Wemus posted:

Wasnt Johnny Test like the inverse of Dexter's Lab

Johnny was a regular kid with super smart twin sisters who experimented on him

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Season 1 (which was produced by a different studio that later seasons) was halfway decent and apparently the change in production studios had to do with the CW merger so I can easily imagine an alternate reality where they went "gently caress it" and had the show be a 1 season wonder. Then someone who was fond of season 1 found the Monkey's Paw...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Season 1 (which was produced by a different studio that later seasons) was halfway decent and apparently the change in production studios had to do with the CW merger so I can easily imagine an alternate reality where they went "gently caress it" and had the show be a 1 season wonder. Then someone who was fond of season 1 found the Monkey's Paw...

and that's why trump is president

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I meant Mighty Max.

I had both a Mighty Max (the shark playset) and Polly Pocket as a kid. I'm pretty sure they were compatible.
Mighty Max was literally just Polly Pocket For Boys

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
a good animated movie

audiences in 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm sure some CN suit looks at the cost-return ratio for Jonny Test and got dollar signs despite basically any ratings it got was because it was literally 90% of what Cartoon Network showed for years. (Similar to Teen Titans Go now)

It's basically a lovely knockoff of Dexter's Lab, yeah, and pretty much everything people hate about cheap Flash animated cartoons.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm sure some CN suit looks at the cost-return ratio for Jonny Test and got dollar signs despite basically any ratings it got was because it was literally 90% of what Cartoon Network showed for years. (Similar to Teen Titans Go now)

It's basically a lovely knockoff of Dexter's Lab, yeah, and pretty much everything people hate about cheap Flash animated cartoons.

cartoon network was never involved in Johnny Test's production (it was made for Kids WB initially, then some Canadian channel after the show switched studios), they just had the rights to air it in america

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Soon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also for some reason they keep on remaking Ben 10. Apparently it sells toys. I suppose it's basically the new generation's Transformers.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Judging by my nephew's toy collection, Transformers is his generation's Transformers.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also for some reason they keep on remaking Ben 10. Apparently it sells toys. I suppose it's basically the new generation's Transformers.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was also to gently caress over the production and VA crew just before they’d hit some legally-mandated minimum number of episodes to get a pay hike.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
one of the most powerful non-historical aspects of wizards is that it starts with the world being engulfed in a massive explosion that we are told was caused by "five terrorists". this is the last that we ever hear on the matter. who were these five terrorists? how did they destroy the world, and why? we are never told. the five terrorists are not mentioned again. bakshi seems to think we don't need to know. and, he is drat right

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The planeteers finally stopped loving around

FriedMyBrain
Dec 31, 2019

by Cyrano4747
https://www.ign.com/articles/bambi-disney-developing-live-action-cg-remake-in-style-of-the-lion-king

:stonk: Stahp please, stop

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

nankeen posted:

one of the most powerful non-historical aspects of wizards is that it starts with the world being engulfed in a massive explosion that we are told was caused by "five terrorists". this is the last that we ever hear on the matter. who were these five terrorists? how did they destroy the world, and why? we are never told. the five terrorists are not mentioned again. bakshi seems to think we don't need to know. and, he is drat right

Since the film seems to have struck a chord with you, you might care to know that Bakshi has actually spoken a little about pursuing a sequel.

"Yeah, Wizards 2, I’ve written the script. I’ll probably rewrite some of it, but it has to do very much…

Wizards 1 was about the state of Israel getting formed, and what might happen with the revolution and pollution and destruction. Here we are, Wizards 2 is about the madness, absolute madness. I mean, Wizards 2 continues where [Blackwolf] gets beaten, or does he? Suddenly every other tribe in the world is coming after you." - 2015 Interview

Who's to say if anything will come of it, though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Welp, time to learn how to animate deer...

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Can’t wait for the scene where Bambi’s mom gets shot and it cuts to an emotionless Bambi

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Coming soon: Frozen 3 will be live-action, at this rate.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Regalingualius posted:

They did this already in Once Upon a Time

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Why only frozen 3? We could remake 1 and to and make even more! :capitalism:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

PenguinKnight posted:

Can’t wait for the scene where Bambi’s mom gets shot and it cuts to an emotionless Bambi

I laughed way to hard at this.

So what useless new scenes are they going to add this time?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I can't wait for them to straight wash flower.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
wizards 2 won't get made in bakshi's lifetime because he's 88 and the story of modern israel hasn't yet reached its conclusion, whatever the hell that's going to be. but if i live to see it, i will take up the torch
live action wizards

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
avatar is one of my favourite fictional wizards and if they made a live version he could only be played by bakshi himself

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
live action bakshi lotr- oh wait that's already been done, thanks peter

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bakshi is definitely one of those guys who if he was younger would be learning Toon Boom and Blender to make animated film completely on his own. It’s ridiculous the amount of labor that went into traditional animation, like Bakshi had to start off as a cel cleaner, whose job it is to remove tiny pieces of dust from the animation cels. Even more laborious and mindless than painting cels...

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Ccs posted:

Bakshi is definitely one of those guys who if he was younger would be learning Toon Boom and Blender to make animated film completely on his own. It’s ridiculous the amount of labor that went into traditional animation, like Bakshi had to start off as a cel cleaner, whose job it is to remove tiny pieces of dust from the animation cels. Even more laborious and mindless than painting cels...
the man's mad. his results are endearingly bizarre, but the sheer amount of passion and work that goes into everything he does is undeniable. and he's still at it!
https://twitter.com/ralphbakshi/status/1217595219622821888
my son

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Has anyone watched Balto recently? We just watched that live action Togo movie and now I'm kinda itching to revisit the historically inaccurate original.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sir Lemming posted:

The description they give it on the Disney+ page is weirdly low-key though:

They tried to put "you know what this is, don't loving pretend" but Iger vetoed

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i really am sorry for bringing the topic of the shoah into this light-hearted thread like i did, i know there are other posters here with similar history who just want somewhere to talk cartoons and am so sorry for shattering the mood. i was (incredibly) unaware of bakshi as an artist, the content and the context of his work, and knowing that i'd probably liveblog the thing itt in my own irritating way i tried to choose the film that, from its wikipedia summary, sounded least loaded. please understand i was posting in real time and actually don't have anybody nearby to talk to about this very specific topic irl so just offloaded emotionally on the forums as i am wont to do. i promise not to do it again in this thread, it's not the place for it. i might talk bakshi, but will keep it light.

just to finish, for interests' sake, this is the wikipedia summary for wizards

quote:

Wizards is a 1977 American animated post-apocalyptic science fantasy film written, directed and produced by Ralph Bakshi (Bakshi Productions) and distributed by 20th Century Fox. The film follows a battle between two wizards of opposing powers, one representing the forces of magic and the other representing the forces of industrial technology.

The film is notable for being the first fantasy film by Bakshi, a filmmaker who was previously known only for "urban films" such as Fritz the Cat, Heavy Traffic and Coonskin. The film grossed US$9 million theatrically with a $2 million budget, and has since become a cult classic.
note the complete non-mention of nazism, or any other historical content directly present in the film. this is why i'm troubled by how this movie is remembered by non-jewish audiences, such as the animation fans who've recommended it to me irl and whoever wrote the (very carefully written) passage above; because i don't know if they deliberately omit/downplay the holocaust theme, or if they do so accidentally because those parts just somehow didn't stick in their minds

and that's all i will say on the matter. please forgive me!

(the chaks remain back)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Has anyone watched Balto recently? We just watched that live action Togo movie and now I'm kinda itching to revisit the historically inaccurate original.

Yes, it holds up pretty well. It's a pretty high-quality production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

nankeen posted:

i really am sorry for bringing the topic of the shoah into this light-hearted thread like i did, i know there are other posters here with similar history who just want somewhere to talk cartoons and am so sorry for shattering the mood. i was (incredibly) unaware of bakshi as an artist, the content and the context of his work, and knowing that i'd probably liveblog the thing itt in my own irritating way i tried to choose the film that, from its wikipedia summary, sounded least loaded. please understand i was posting in real time and actually don't have anybody nearby to talk to about this very specific topic irl so just offloaded emotionally on the forums as i am wont to do. i promise not to do it again in this thread, it's not the place for it. i might talk bakshi, but will keep it light.

I enjoy the effort posts on that stuff. I'm working on a post about some animation documentaries I watched recently, especially since on of them is unavailable in the west. Animated movies are movies, they can deal with serious stuff and we can talk about them in the thread devoted to it.