Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

My friends go to watch all the comic book films at the cinema and the trailer made them skip this one. And these are people who went to see Suicide Squad.

I wonder how much of that was because the first two Suicide Squad trailers were set to the rock classics of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" and Sweet's "Ballroom Blitz" and the two Birds of Prey trailers were set to Edith Piaf's L'hymne à l'amour and a recent cover of Betty Hutton's It’s Oh So Quiet which are .... uh ..... somewhat less rockin'.

Edit: to be super pedantic (and because I know someone will inevitably bring it up) they used Lucy Woodward's 2005 cover of Bjork's 1995 cover of Betty Hutton's 1951 adaptation of Horst Winter's 1948 German-language song Und jetzt ist es still
:goonsay:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No, they were just willing to extend the benefit of the doubt that while the trailer looked poo poo and they'd heard bad things about production, it might be fun.

That good will is gone now.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wonder how much of that was because the first two Suicide Squad trailers were set to the rock classics of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" and Sweet's "Ballroom Blitz" and the two Birds of Prey trailers were set to Edith Piaf's L'hymne à l'amour and a recent cover of Betty Hutton's It’s Oh So Quiet which are .... uh ..... somewhat less rockin'.

drat and what an opportunity to use Billie Eilish’s bad guy in yet another on the nose trailer

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

AngryBooch posted:

lol I watched that last week on HBO Go and wondered why there wasn't a big fan push for a sequel because that movie just straight up doesn't have an ending. (or maybe I missed the push)

It's not that interesting of a movie so most people don't give a poo poo or don't even remember it exists

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just found out about Coming 2 America, and in a sea of unnecessary sequels, remakes, adaptations and soft reboots, it stands head and shoulders above the others as the winner of the "WHYYYYYYYY" prize for me. Why would you make a sequel to a movie no one under 30 has even heard of. That movie does not hold up if you watch it today.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think it was the trailer. The trailer made it look absolutely awful. Combine that with DC's history of terrible films and I think people have just stopped giving them the benefit of the doubt.

My friends go to watch all the comic book films at the cinema and the trailer made them skip this one. And these are people who went to see Suicide Squad.

This is pretty crazy to me since the last 3 major movies with DC characters in them were widely regarded as good.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I think it was the trailer. The trailer made it look absolutely awful. Combine that with DC's history of terrible films and I think people have just stopped giving them the benefit of the doubt.

i dont like superhero stuff at all but the marketing for birds of prey is just really bad. I keep seeing htis poster everywhere and it just looks like a target ad

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The MSJ posted:

This is pretty crazy to me since the last 3 major movies with DC characters in them were widely regarded as good.

I feel like after Beavis, Suicide Squad, and Justice League, DC course-corrected and became more fun and pulpy (at least their blockbusters) and let their directors have more leeway with their projects. Aquaman and Shazam! we’re both goofball movies and were better than the last however many Marvel movies I watched.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
BoP had awful posters, pretty "meh" trailers and one of the most obnoxious titles I've seen in a while. Like, just call it "Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey" god drat it.

The story was pretty thin and the first hour of the movie jumping around the timeline was unnecessary.

All that said, the movie is super fun and i had a blast watching it as did most of the people in the half filled IMAX theater I went to on friday night. I hope they keep it out there long enough for word of mouth to get it a little more attention.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Fartbox posted:

It's not that interesting of a movie so most people don't give a poo poo or don't even remember it exists

Even if you believe that to be the case, the manga is pretty popular. I just think fans realize a sequel is highly unlikely.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s at least partially motivated by the fact that it defied people’s expectations of being a bomb and actually made money that would’ve been decent for any film that hadn’t been in development for a decade.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Homeybeef posted:

BoP had awful posters, pretty "meh" trailers and one of the most obnoxious titles I've seen in a while. Like, just call it "Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey" god drat it.

The story was pretty thin and the first hour of the movie jumping around the timeline was unnecessary.

All that said, the movie is super fun and i had a blast watching it as did most of the people in the half filled IMAX theater I went to on friday night. I hope they keep it out there long enough for word of mouth to get it a little more attention.
Why did they even use the Birds of Prey title anyway? Those other characters aren’t an actual team in this movie right?

They should have just called it Harley Quinn or whatever

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Okay y’all, place your bets now. Will Sonic the Hedgehog be:
1) a trainwreck
2) bad but forgettable
3) decent but forgettable
4) actually good

And furthermore, will it make money, especially enough to cover the $25 million the studio spent re-doing the Sonic design?

My guess is 2 and it‘ll break even, but not earn enough to justify a sequel.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

1) a trainwreck
2) bad but forgettable
4) actually good

And furthermore, will it make money, especially enough to cover the $25 million the studio spent re-doing the Sonic design?

The original Sonic design would have made it a 1 but the fixed one will likely bump it to 2.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My guess is that it's charming and weird and that Carrey swings for the fences and a decent number of people like it but ultimately it's ignored by general audiences and forgotten about regardless of any merit.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

All these movies that initially look like trainwrecks but then have to get bailed out by the studio (thinking of Solo here) usually end up as 3, soulless and forgettable but competent.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why did they even use the Birds of Prey title anyway? Those other characters aren’t an actual team in this movie right?

Those other characters end the movie forming the actual Birds of Prey and getting more comic-accurate costumes.

It's obvious sequel-bait / spinoff-bait but I don't think it'll end up happening, sadly.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

1) a trainwreck
2) bad but forgettable
4) actually good

General consensus will be 3. My own consensus will be 1. It’ll be a mild flop.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

All these movies that initially look like trainwrecks but then have to get bailed out by the studio (thinking of Solo here) usually end up as 3, soulless and forgettable but competent.
yea i think the fast and furious guy will make a lovely but still passable movie, that will get a few surprised positive responses from people expecting a disaster and then be immediately forgotten until someone makes gifs of all the jim carrey scenes on whatever the mid 2020s equivalent of tumblr is

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

The MSJ posted:

They didn't have advertising that made them look like trash though. DC have a long way to go before they earn back the benefit of the doubt for stuff that looks like it might be duff.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'd put money on 3, and it will do pretty decent but not Blockbuster revenue (Read: Marvel levels) resulting in the executives at the next shareholders stating "It did not do the numbers that we have hoped", but still greenlighting a sequel that will bite onto the post-credits sequel hook.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Even if you believe that to be the case, the manga is pretty popular. I just think fans realize a sequel is highly unlikely.

Er... no, it isn't.

It's not outright obscure, but Battle Angel Alita has always had at best a cult following in the US, and until very recently it was an aging cult following, because Viz had the rights for US publication, flatly refused to reprint the original run (instead focusing 100% on new material that makes a really lovely jumping-on point) for like a solid decade plus, and was very aggressive about taking scans down.

Like, Gunnm is one of those manga I would classify as "hardcore nerd poo poo."

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Looks like they took your advice!

quote:

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is changing its name to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey on all theater chain sites after a struggle to fly at the box office in its opening weekend. The R-rated DC Comics movie, which had a lesser budget than most other major comic book films from DC or Marvel, opened to only $33.2 million at the domestic box office. Other R-rated comic book films in recent years such as Deadpool and Joker opened to more than $130 million and $90 million, respectively. Birds was not expected to reach such heights but was projected to earn closer to $50 million in its debut.

Regal Cinemas and AMC Theaters have already updated the title to reflect the Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey title. Tickets are available from the theater chain, now.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2020/02/10/birds-of-prey-title-change-harley-quinn/

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/kath_krueger/status/1226707537338171392?s=19

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Er... no, it isn't.

It's not outright obscure, but Battle Angel Alita has always had at best a cult following in the US, and until very recently it was an aging cult following, because Viz had the rights for US publication, flatly refused to reprint the original run (instead focusing 100% on new material that makes a really lovely jumping-on point) for like a solid decade plus, and was very aggressive about taking scans down.

Like, Gunnm is one of those manga I would classify as "hardcore nerd poo poo."

It's pretty popular in France/Quebec. Keeps getting printed.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm not really sure who Birds of Prey was supposed to appeal to. I want there to be more movies about female superheroes and the most I could muster was 'I'll watch it when it comes out on streaming, maybe'

I think Suicide Squad left a pretty bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths and this seems to be billing itself as essentially more of that.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It's time for Rambo Plissken!

quote:

Sylvester Stallone is attached to star in the action movie Little America, which AGC Studios is launching at the European Film Market where it is likely to be among the most in-demand packages.

Set in a dystopian future where America has become bankrupt and turned into a war zone, Sly will play a former Army Ranger hired by an Asian billionaire to find his daughter.

With the highly skilled sister of the missing woman along for the ride, Sly’s Ranger must navigate the dark underbelly of Little America, a walled-off city within a city in Hong Kong where many Americans have fled.

Universal previously won a bidding war for the spec script by Rowan Athale (Strange But True), who will also direct. The project is now hitting the open market with Universal no longer aboard. Transformers and 6 Underground director Michael Bay is executive producing with his outfit Platinum Dunes (A Quiet Place). CAA reps North America with AGC.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/sylvester-stallone-star-action-movie-little-america-agc-efm-1202854971/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

America has turned into a warzone, which is why the movie is set in Hong Kong?

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
90+ minutes of Harley Quinn sounds like a nightmare.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hector Delgado posted:

90+ minutes of Harley Quinn sounds like a nightmare.

You are clearly not Bruce Timm.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The MSJ posted:

You are clearly not Bruce Timm.

The DCAU Harley was abandoned long ago.

Lurdiak posted:

That movie does not hold up if you watch it today.

This is just wrong.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That Little America movie sounds insanely 80s.

And the Harley Quinn cartoon is actually pretty good. It's basically DC's take on Venture Bros, tone-wise.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I think Suicide Squad left a pretty bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths and this seems to be billing itself as essentially more of that.

The only person i know who didnt like birds of prey loves suicide squad :shrug:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

got any sevens posted:

The only person i know who didnt like birds of prey loves suicide squad :shrug:

I mean, it's hard to find examples of the opposite; if somebody didn't like suicide squad they probably haven't watched the sequel.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Which, I'm guessing, is why they named the film Birds of Prey to further divorce it from that film. But it looks like WB thinks "Fantabulous" is what's turned people off, rather than the film's clear connection to that other awful looking film which was critically reviled. To some degree they're probably right—like 5% of the missing 50% of its audience potential probably read that with the same eye-roll as someone using "amazeballs" in 2020. But the other 20% they lost to outright misogyny and 25% to people finding Harley Quinn obnoxious so they were kinda screwed from the get-go.

If they were gonna throw away their Harley Quinn solo film dollars on something, it should've been a lesbian Harley/Ivy teamup movie with a proper foil for Harley's wackiness.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Poison Ivy probably would have gone over worse since it turns out ecoterrorists are something we actually need.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
as long as she's male gazey enough it'll just make chuds horny mad like AOC

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

1) a trainwreck
2) bad but forgettable
4) actually good

Most likely 2 but maybe 3. I think I would call Sonic this generation's Snakes on a Plane.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm gonna guess the Sonic parts will be forgettable, the supporting cast triply so, while Jim Carrey completely steals the show.

I do wonder how the redesign might affect the movie, since I figure they had most of it completed before the backlash forced them to go back to the design that people actually like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't think the redesign will affect anything else. Plus, I don't have the picture on hand, but the stand in doll looks closer to the redesign than the original.