Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

And saint seya... and dragonball and heavy metal and....

And Terry Bogard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The worst part of surviving the downfall of society would be having to sit around the communal bonfire night after night drinking rat schnapps and talking about commercials we remember from the beforetimes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The worst part of surviving the downfall of society would be having to sit around the communal bonfire night after night drinking rat schnapps and talking about commercials we remember from the beforetimes.
Speak for yourself.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Thinking about things happening hundreds of years from now is wildly optimistic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What movie are you going to start a death cult around after society collapses?

I'm torn between Tombs of the Blind Dead and Dunston Checks In

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Steamed Hams will be remembered for a millennia

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Loss Lines will be eternal.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

If I survive wandering the blasted wastelands of scorched earth long enough to encounter other survivors and they start talking to me about Marvel movies, I'm gonna be so pissed.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Crowetron posted:

If I survive wandering the blasted wastelands of scorched earth long enough to encounter other survivors and they start talking to me about Marvel movies, I'm gonna be so pissed.

Don't worry, those people will be the first to die.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Incredibles get cell phones!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Someday a rich eccentric madman will spend his trump tax cut on Delgo 2 :shepicide:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I'm not the only one who immediately got this impression.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Produced by Lord and Miller, starring Danny McBride. lol

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hundreds of years from now, civilization won't even exist.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

The Loss Lines will be eternal.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AceOfFlames posted:

Hundreds of years from now, civilization won't even exist.

i think that's basically the idea, though? civilization won't exist, but that doesn't mean the scattered humans left won't have weird passed-down echoes of what exists now. and marvel is ubiquitous enough and widely-seen enough that it's probably gonna end up being one of those echoes in some way.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EDIT: nvm.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 21, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AccountSupervisor posted:

This is going to be an insufferable movie to sit through. I feel like Eli has no handle on something this large, insane and spectacular. I guess his juvenile humor is in line with the games, but this is something that would need a George Miller/James Wan type of batshit blockbuster director to go well.

Hell, Michael Bay should have been a shoe in for this.
https://deadline.com/2020/02/borderlands-videogame-eli-roth-directing-lionsgate-movie-1202864502/
This feels right. Borderlands is annoying trash made by an rear end in a top hat who uses Alien game money to funnel into his meme trash game.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Surprisingly, I'd say that the Tales from the Borderlands series did some fun things with just about the right amount of dumb humor and only a few missteps. Ideally we could get something closer to that. Not optimistic though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i think that's basically the idea, though? civilization won't exist, but that doesn't mean the scattered humans left won't have weird passed-down echoes of what exists now. and marvel is ubiquitous enough and widely-seen enough that it's probably gonna end up being one of those echoes in some way.

It's interesting to think of, but I really doubt that a single moment in a Marvel movie would somehow become legend. Marvel movies are ubiquitous, but they're also fairly disposable, and there's way too much of them. Sure Cap wielding Thor's Hammer is apparently important to Marvel people, but for it to become future important in the remnants of society, you have to have hours of build-up to it, and that just doesn't happen if you can't pop in the DVDs.

You're more likely to end up with "bazinga" becoming a greeting or the Soup Nazi as a fairy-tale teaching future children to be kind to strangers.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

What movie are you going to start a death cult around after society collapses?

I'm torn between Tombs of the Blind Dead and Dunston Checks In
I would like for the philosophy espoused in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure to become the new culture of the world as is ordained.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Iron Crowned posted:

You're more likely to end up with "bazinga" becoming a greeting or the Soup Nazi as a fairy-tale teaching future children to be kind to strangers.

Safety Factor posted:

I would like for the philosophy espoused in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure to become the new culture of the world as is ordained.

Unfortunately it's far more likely that mutated desert-dwellers will be making human sacrifices to ward off Slender Man

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Surprisingly, I'd say that the Tales from the Borderlands series did some fun things with just about the right amount of dumb humor and only a few missteps. Ideally we could get something closer to that. Not optimistic though.

I've said before that game was so much better than it had any right to be.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why does it matter that Captain America picks up Thor's hammer? Isn't he really strong?

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Mjolnir can only be wielded by those worthy enough. What worthy enough means is everyone's guess, usually means brave/courageous/righteous enough.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why does it matter that Captain America picks up Thor's hammer? Isn't he really strong?

It's something about having to be super noble and Thor being the only one noble enough to pick it up. Otherwise Hulk could've picked it up at any point.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How the gently caress do you pronounce that?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Sword.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

At one point , it was Odin's judgement of worthy(which was deffo a whole can of worms) but then it changed and is now the hammer itself who judges? Idk

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6EekGFJhrg

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

myawl-neer.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is Odin Thor's dad?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It was teased in Age of Ultron a bit. They're all trying to pick it up and Cap moves it a tiny bit, which only Thor notices.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So Captain America became even gooder after Avengers 2?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Is Odin Thor's dad?

Everyone knows Norse mythology c'mon.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I didn't know it was actually based on it, I figured they just took some names and terms. Kind of like how Black Widow is a Russian assassin and not a spider.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Is Odin Thor's dad?

Yes.

I didn't know it was actually based on it, I figured they just took some names and terms. Kind of like how Black Widow is a Russian assassin and not a spider.

I'm just waiting for Disney to inevitably make a copyright claim on some reprinting of the Prose Edda or whatever based on their hold of the rights to Marvel!Thor. After all, this is the same company who tried to copyright "Dia de los Muertos"

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you.

And of course I know Norse mythology, I went on that ride at Disney World with the neon dwarf.