Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
im going to miss this thread when SA dies, even if i barely posted here it was cool and interesting to read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I'm hoping we can decamp to somewhere else/SA3.0, because this place brings me a lot of joy.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
it'd be great to have a new place, maybe even something better if we're super lucky

but i can't think of any unambigiously good alternative, or at least didn't see anything suggested yet that didn't have issues attached

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I mostly lurk on this thread for the recommendations but I also think it's a really nice community and I would be very sad to lose it. As for decamping, if the forums die bread and roses seems like the forum to go at the moment, in addition to any specific discord server. AFAIK it was set up recently as a more leftwing SA alternative without the decades of terrible baggage, and it seems like a nice place. It's good to keep the URL on hand in case the forums suddenly go down, at the very least.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

that place is locked down by invitation code apparently?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

Only if you don't want to pay :10bux:, I believe.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
no, bnr is waiving the monetary requirement right now. just go through with registering without bothering with the invite code and wait for them to process your account (their doing it manually)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

quote:
Fumblemouse wrote on Jun 25, 2020 11:59:
Sebmojo asked me to post this:

A while ago, some goon wrote a thread scraper for SA.

I forked the code and fixed the error messages, then did it again when chrome started hating on http connections or something. It's now the single thing I have available on github, because it would be rude not to let the orginal author know that somebody still loves his dead gay code:

https://github.com/Fumblemouse/SA-Archiving-Tool

To use:

Hit the big green Clone button and download it as a zip file.

Extract the zip file somewhere on your local hard drive.

In Chrome, go Settings -> More Tools -> Extensions and flick the Developer Mode switch on the top right.

There should now be an option to Load Unpacked on the left. Ignoring the untold comedy potential for that phrase, click the option and find the folder you extracted the zip to - by default, SA-Archiving-Tool-master. Select that folder and click the Open button.

All going well you should now have a hard-to-see SA icon on the chrome extension bar. If you visit a SA thread with a thread ID, eg https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3903748 the icon should now be clickable with a single option...Archive.

Click that link, and your local PC will think for a while, depending on your local tubespeed, then display a single page with the entire thread on it. CTRL+S or Rightclick Save As and save it whereever you want. WebPage, Complete will save images also.

Because nothing in life is easy, the saved page's HTML CSS tags refers to something set up by the chrome extension, so it will look a bit crappy in another browser or if you remove the extension. This can be fixed by changing the CSS reference in the Saved As HTML file to the files in the /archive folder from the extracted zipfile - or you could copy the /archive css files into the HTML file's folder and just have the tags as direct links to files (no folder references)

Go crazy!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

no, bnr is waiving the monetary requirement right now. just go through with registering without bothering with the invite code and wait for them to process your account (their doing it manually)

Yeah, I heard this was the case but didn't include it in the post because I wasn't 100% sure. But if you can spare $10 I'm sure they could use it to cover the sudden spike in users.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Apparently they have a rather good stockpile atm

and how the gently caress did i use the wrong they're

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

after all the "anime av. trans or nazi?" comments from cspam i would be extremely wary of posting in a cspam offsite

id also personally be uncomfortable posting anywhere cascadebeta is staff

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

oh jesus this av

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

weird how trans users keep getting transphobic avatars after arguing with cspam

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

if an offsite happens maybe we'll finally get rid off buying others' avatars so this poo poo stops happening

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

LifeLoveLive
Jun 25, 2020

Endorph posted:

its cool that this is a double gently caress you since it's giving lowtax money

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

Rody One Half posted:

Nope, just register. Ten dollar donation is requested but not required. We're approving everyone by hand bc something broke so it may take a minute but you'll get in.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

please stop shilling bnr in this thread when something like this happens every time yall start posting here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

QueenOfTheEvening posted:

Nope, just register. Ten dollar donation is requested but not required. We're approving everyone by hand bc something broke so it may take a minute but you'll get in.

everythingWasBees posted:

lol gently caress cspam and bnr

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

oh my god

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol what moron gave bees a bread and roses av

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

please stop shilling bnr in this thread when something like this happens every time yall start posting here

No

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

I dunno who did that but they're an rear end in a top hat and that's super hosed up, if they for some reason crow about doing it I'll ban them.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

stop giving lowtax money you asshats

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the woke bread n roses forum that refuses to stop using an unrelated lgbt thread to shill for their forum, when asked not to

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

the woke bread n roses forum that refuses to stop using an unrelated lgbt thread to shill for their forum, when asked not to

run by *checks notes* a sex pest and somebody who outs ppl she doesn't like

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

run by *checks notes* a sex pest and somebody who outs ppl she doesn't like

Who's the sex pest so I can ban them

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I like how the other bit isn't even a concern for you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tashi

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
enough! i will join bread and roses if you let my friends go free

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

I like how the other bit isn't even a concern for you

I know who that part is about, I don't have to ask about a thing I already know

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I know who that part is about, I don't have to ask about a thing I already know

okay but are they remaining staff?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I'm sorry, I didn't realise that there were issues with bnr. I only heard about it today and I figured it was worth sharing it in case SA went down at short notice. Won't do it again.

QueenOfTheEvening
Jan 6, 2020

by Athanatos

okay but are they remaining staff?

The tgrs thread can't hurt you anymore

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

gently caress. off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Red Bones posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't realise that there were issues with bnr. I only heard about it today and I figured it was worth sharing it in case SA went down at short notice. Won't do it again.
not your fault lol

gently caress off rear end in a top hat

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can you please quit it wrt Bread 'n Roses?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Get the gently caress out of here.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

wasn't "fyad can't hurt you anymore" as a response being woefully insufficient one of the reasons an off-site was even made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Yikes!