Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Beautiful day to be out.

Thatís an odd mag failure. Korean commercial mags are really good. They may be better than surplus, even unissued but I do think thereís a lot of tired carbine mags floating around. Anyway I use Korean 30s with my M2 and have no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Sten Freak posted:

Beautiful day to be out.

Thatís an odd mag failure. Korean commercial mags are really good. They may be better than surplus, even unissued but I do think thereís a lot of tired carbine mags floating around. Anyway I use Korean 30s with my M2 and have no problems.

Had no idea you had an M2 in addition to the other fun stuff, quite rad. I'm still trying to comply with our Denver city no mags over 15 (even grandfathered) BS so my 30s are out of city unfortunately.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Meanwhile John Moses Browning can suck my dick. Say what you will about the 1911 but hooooooooly gently caress his rifles had some poo poo going on under the hood.

I just finished reassembling my model 8. It took me 3 weeks, two different goons sending me specialty tools (one of which was home brewed), one badly cut hand, and a lot of swearing. I used to wonder why we went to war in 1914 with bolt actions when civilians had a good semi-auto. Now I know why. That thing is what happens when pandora's box gets drunk and makes a baby with an eldrich horror.

Like, just one example: the barrel recoil system consists of a stack arranged like so: very strong, very thick spring that acts as a buffer, metal cup (cup facing away from strong spring), a normal gun spring that sits in the cup, a washer with a ratchet on it, and a retaining top that screws into the barrel shroud. All of this sits around the barrel, which in turn screws into a barrel nut that tightens against the ratchet surface on that washer. Putting that stack back inside the barrel shroud requires four hands and a jig. It's loving nuts.

Oh, and the bolt is held into the bolt carrier by two cam pins that help rotate it kinda like on an AR. So far so good, only where the AR cam pin has the firing pin go through it, these are two cam pins so the firing pin can pass between them. Oh, and they're blind pins. They have to sit flush with the BCG but there's no surface to pry or prod at them like on an AR. Which means that if they're stuck in there by, say, 100 years of old oil and carbon you're just fuuuuuuucked. I managed to get one of them out and then spent drat near two days trying to gently tap the other one out by maneuvering a thin punch around the firing pin.

Said firing pin is also notoriously brittle They hold up all right with use, but the internet is full of old men crying about having broken it while taking apart the bolt.

Oh and somehow it's possible to put the barrel back on the rifle such that the bolt won't close or cam shut. No I have no idea what was going on. I took the barrel back out, put it back in, and it worked that time.

I can not loving imagine a unit armorer trying to take care of a few hundred of these things.

A+ job 1917 US Army. Bolt action was the way to go.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

DeesGrandpa posted:

Had no idea you had an M2 in addition to the other fun stuff, quite rad. I'm still trying to comply with our Denver city no mags over 15 (even grandfathered) BS so my 30s are out of city unfortunately.

You can get korean 15 rounders. I don't have any, but they have a good reputation.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Taking apart the BAR is terrible too. You have to basically detail strip the gun including taking apart the gas system just to remove the bolt.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh and while I'm thinking of it, I've got a new favorite cheap way to lube finnicky bullshit like mags and ancient autoloaders.

Mix 50/50 acetone and ATF in a glass bottle. Shake it up. It will end up looking like a pink milkshake. Pour that over whatever it is you're trying to lube. It's thin as gently caress so it flows everywhere, much better than pure ATF, but the acetone evaporates off really quick just leaving the ATF. It's great for poo poo that you'd normally squirt penetrating oil in but a hell of a lot cheaper.

Supposedly it's good for getting rusted parts apart too but I haven't had a good test for that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Now I want to know what happens when you take apart a Luger.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That Cyrano word cloud where "gently caress" is twice as large as any other word, but in German.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

DeesGrandpa posted:

Yeah as Cyrano said they (KCI) makes 15s. AIM surplus has them for $12.

I didnít hand you the M2 when you came by because it looks just like an M1 with a goofy brake and easy to miss selector. But we should go shoot it sometime. I need to take it out more. Itís a handful in a fun way, real fast and light.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sten Freak posted:

I didn’t hand you the M2 when you came by because it looks just like an M1 with a goofy brake and easy to miss selector. But we should go shoot it sometime. I need to take it out more. It’s a handful in a fun way, real fast and light.

Any chance of me third wheeling? I've never gotten to shoot an M1, let alone an M2.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Sten Freak posted:

I didnít hand you the M2 when you came by because it looks just like an M1 with a goofy brake and easy to miss selector. But we should go shoot it sometime. I need to take it out more. Itís a handful in a fun way, real fast and light.

Yeah I'm down for that for sure. I was looking at an M2 carbine before the prices climbed in the last few years (not that saving for a house in Denver leaves me with much of a budget for machineguns anyways), always wanted to put some mags through one.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Any chance of me third wheeling? I've never gotten to shoot an M1, let alone an M2.

Hell yeah. Once it warms a bit to melt the snow at my range Iíll send some PMs

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Lugers are actually pretty easy to take apart. There are a few tricks, but no more so than any other gun.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

One day I'll be able to justify buying myself an artillery luger with stock and then a beater shooting luger

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Sten Freak posted:

I bought 10 of the Korean ones from AIM last year and they all ran like champs.

Anyone else have carbines that only run when super wet? Like one spray away from dripping?

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Any of y'all wanna give me a quick rundown on why Classic is a gently caress? Seen some folks looking at their deals and all I know is Do Not Give Them Money, but I don't know the why.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

lovely business practices. poo poo like canceling orders when they find out a thing is going to be popular so they can resell it marked up. Oh and frequently their guns are in thrashed shape and they donít make that good. Weíre talking bad rust on ďselect choice handpickĒ. They also lie about product a lot in descriptions . Iím still not sure if thatís malice or incompetence though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Capn Beeb posted:

Any of y'all wanna give me a quick rundown on why Classic is a gently caress? Seen some folks looking at their deals and all I know is Do Not Give Them Money, but I don't know the why.

IIRC they sell guns that are in much worse condition than their stated grade, so people paying extra for a nicer gun end up getting a lovely one. They also cancel orders and relist guns at a higher price when something is selling super well. Generally poor customer service in relation to these things and others I think. Also the guy who owns the place is disliked for various reasons that I cannot remember. I think under previous ownership they were pretty well-respected and they got sold and the current owner/management sucks?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The only thing i do on classic is register for their raffle giveaways because i dont have to give them money.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Cyrano4747 posted:

lovely business practices. poo poo like canceling orders when they find out a thing is going to be popular so they can resell it marked up. Oh and frequently their guns are in thrashed shape and they donít make that good. Weíre talking bad rust on ďselect choice handpickĒ. They also lie about product a lot in descriptions . Iím still not sure if thatís malice or incompetence though.

wack

my kinda ape posted:

IIRC they sell guns that are in much worse condition than their stated grade, so people paying extra for a nicer gun end up getting a lovely one. They also cancel orders and relist guns at a higher price when something is selling super well. Generally poor customer service in relation to these things and others I think. Also the guy who owns the place is disliked for various reasons that I cannot remember. I think under previous ownership they were pretty well-respected and they got sold and the current owner/management sucks?

wack!

Stravag posted:

The only thing i do on classic is register for their raffle giveaways because i dont have to give them money.

This is the same Classic from years ago with the PRAISE JESUS AND SOFTBALL geocities style page, right?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, them they got bought. I remember staring at their listings for $500 Vz.58s and PSLs longingly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah. They were great before the sale. New guys ducked it up.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Captain Log posted:

I've done it and it's actually really easy! Rotate a lever, take a side plate off, then just slide the upper with the barrel and toggle-lock off the frame. Unless you're doing deeper cleaning, that's all that's necessary for a basic scrub. If you need to take the toggle out, it's just a matter of pushing out one pin. They look scary but are actually pretty basic mechanically.

Buy an airsoft WE Luger for cheap if you want to experience it. They perfectly replicated the disassembly procedure and much of how the gun functions, within the limits of being a gas airsoft gun.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

chitoryu12 posted:

I've done it and it's actually really easy! Rotate a lever, take a side plate off, then just slide the upper with the barrel and toggle-lock off the frame. Unless you're doing deeper cleaning, that's all that's necessary for a basic scrub. If you need to take the toggle out, it's just a matter of pushing out one pin. They look scary but are actually pretty basic mechanically.

Buy an airsoft WE Luger for cheap if you want to experience it. They perfectly replicated the disassembly procedure and much of how the gun functions, within the limits of being a gas airsoft gun.

I think he meant taking out the recoil spring. Those are not fun to try reassemble without some tools and a vise.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

At least the Auto-5 is relatively easy to strip and disassemble. The M2, if it is assembled incorrectly, will fire the barrel out the front and a rod out the back. In short, long-recoil is a land of contrasts.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Itís not high on my priority list, but I do eventually want a blowback airsoft Luger.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Log posted:

It’s not high on my priority list, but I do eventually want a blowback airsoft Luger.

I'm really hoping someone some day can recreate the C96 in .22 or something so I don't have to drop $800 on a clapped out antique or get an airsoft version.

Oh hey speaking of check out this C96 with zero bids, huh wonder why
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847493224

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 16, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

quote:

but I believe that the person that replaced some of the parts failed to install a trigger and hammer spring with he appropriate dimensions (as in the Prussian manufacturing was slightly
loving lol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Action-Bastard posted:

I'm really hoping someone some day can recreate the C96 in .22 or something so I don't have to drop $800 on a clapped out antique or get an airsoft version.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847493224

I have a blowback broomhandle BB gun.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Action-Bastard posted:

For those not familiar with broomhandles, there is no such thing as "Prussian manufactured" parts. Though judging by the pitting under the refinish, I wouldn't rule out Chinese parts.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Bit the bullet and JB welded the rear sight in place. Can heat it up or dissolve it later if I need to, but a couple test hammer/punch blows and it's solid for now. Will see how it holds up later.

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!

I fixed the reliability issue on my M1 carbine by cleaning out everything *very* thoroughly and lubricating all the contact pointsÖ It looked like my Winchester hadnít been cleaned since 1945. The 30 round AYP marked mag I thought was broken is now working well again ... those tabs on yours really do look bad though. Were you holding the gun by the magazine, or resting the gun on the magazine, on a bench for example?

🤷🏼‍♂️

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

LingcodKilla posted:

I bought 10 of the Korean ones from AIM last year and they all ran like champs.
didn't get mine from AIM, same review: never had an issue with any of my Korean M1 carbine magazines.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Here's something interesting that just got recommended to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMdJBwLRHEQ

Guy modifies SMLE No.4 Mk1 in to a carbine "truck gun". This is only part 1 but its pretty neat to watch.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

but why

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

Why not gently caress up an already bubba'ed gun?

Edit: Alright so its already kinda bubba'ed but ehhhhhhhhh

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 18, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Nothing parts matching, barrel isn't straight, and a gun with a serial number in the millions; nothing of value was lost by that conversion.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Nothing parts matching, barrel isn't straight, and a gun with a serial number in the millions; nothing of value was lost by that conversion.

It's an enfield, this was assumed.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

Oh I missed the humped barrel. Non-matching parts is normal for Enfields.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's an enfield, this was assumed.

I mean, you're not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Action-Bastard posted:

Here's something interesting that just got recommended to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMdJBwLRHEQ

Guy modifies SMLE No.4 Mk1 in to a carbine "truck gun". This is only part 1 but its pretty neat to watch.

The SMLE is the No. 1 Mk III and its variants. The Rifle, No. 4 is an aesthetically similar design but they share very little in common parts. No. 4s have a significantly thicker and heavier barrel and did not require the arcane stocks of the No. 1s to support them (Mark seems to miss this and keeps referring to the rifle as an SMLE, which surprises me). SMLEs that get chopped down lose a lot of accuracy because they really do need their stocks to stabilize their barrels-- this is significantly less so with No. 4s.