Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty

Why the gently caress are Astra 900s selling for thousands of dollars lately? Is it because it looks like a c96 or are people other than me collecting Astras now?

Most varients were like 600 bucks two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Was there a recent video about them by a popular gun youtuber or anything?

Prominent use in a movie?

Video game?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Forgotten Weapons did a video about some amazing looking ones with intricate gold decorative work done all over them. That was the first time I've seen them.

Edit: Nevermind those were a different model. I'd say it's probably because they look like a C96.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

my kinda ape posted:

Forgotten Weapons did a video about some amazing looking ones with intricate gold decorative work done all over them. That was the first time I've seen them.

Edit: Nevermind those were a different model. I'd say it's probably because they look like a C96.

Yeah, I was going to say just because they look like a C96. I wonder if the price fluctuations follow Star Wars popularity at all; I picked up a pellet gun C96 specifically to replicate Han Solo's blaster at some point.

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty

Not that I can find. I guess its possible the market was flooded last time I was hunting. Should have jumped when I had the chance.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

The replicas are getting nuts too:

https://www.amazon.com/Bullets-Ejecting-Magazine-Removable-Adjustable/dp/B01MXGVD4I/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=c96&qid=1582057203&sr=8-4

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Not gonna lie, babby's first 1911 is kind of hilarious and I want one.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Maybe Battlefield 1 spiked the popularity of the C96 and the Astra 900 followed when people caught on to them being a cheap substitute?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

my kinda ape posted:

Maybe Battlefield 1 spiked the popularity of the C96 and the Astra 900 followed when people caught on to them being a cheap substitute?

The various centennials of the Great War caused a pretty rapid spike in firearms prices associated with that conflict. We saw it in Canada with the spike in SMLE prices-- they had been creeping up for years, but that kicked things up a notch.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

They don't shoot far at all. It launches the whole "cartridge" so you're doing the whole "more bullet per bullet" thing. Also, they are soft point in name only. I doubt you'd want them going fast unless you like tiny dents in gypsum.

And I doubt the innards will be able to handle a stronger spring.

Still fun until I stepped on it and broke it

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

Missing Name posted:

They don't shoot far at all. It launches the whole "cartridge" so you're doing the whole "more bullet per bullet" thing. Also, they are soft point in name only. I doubt you'd want them going fast unless you like tiny dents in gypsum.

And I doubt the innards will be able to handle a stronger spring.

Still fun until I stepped on it and broke it

Everything you just said only reinforces my view of it as a hilarious toy for a relatively cheap price.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Empire Arms just posted the absolute best-condition M95M I've ever seen on their """NEW STUFF""" page for today https://www.empirearms.com/021920.htm

quote:

YUGOSLAVIAN Model M95M Mannlicher straight-pull short rifle # 26736 (8x57mm), made by Steyr (undated). Excellent condition, with 95% or better bluing and a mirror bright and very strong bore. Bolt not matching (as usual), triggerguard is stamped 26736 (matching). Stock has very few dings and handling marks, extractor works just fine, and internal magazine clip is present. Not import-marked, scarce, by FAR the nicest example of one of these I have ever encountered. PHOTO . . . $1275. C&R

If I could spare that for this right now, I would.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

gently caress. My eyes!

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJq73OKavuU

Finally, some good loving sporterization

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah, that's super tasteful and rad.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Guessed which vid it was! The M1 carbine is a less commonly sporterized gun (I guess due to the semi-auto nature, the fact it's already tiny, light, and with good sights, and the cartridge) but a large proportion of the ones that are sporterized are done in really cool ways like that.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Capn Beeb posted:

Apparently Fajen used to make Mannlicher stocks for carbines; I think that's one of them. They must have been nominally popular as a sporterizing item, or there was some shop that converted a bunch, because I've seen a numberof M1 carbines sporterized like that and I think with that exact stock.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Pretty cool rifle. Forgotten Weapons has a vid on it.

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-M...761937#topoflot

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Sten Freak posted:

Pretty cool rifle. Forgotten Weapons has a vid on it.

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-M...761937#topoflot

Wonder what it'll go for? On the one hand it's a neat conversion, on the other hand it's not like Peruvian military poo poo goes for a premium.

I'm going to ballpark $1.2k right now, although I wouldn't be surprised to see double that.

On a side note, I LOVE these garand mag conversions you see here and there. Literally countries that didn't want to be bothered buying M14s fabricobbling together something that's generally as good as the M14.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

By some studies, it was better. Which is why I'm thinking about doing it to my CMP shooter.

Edit: Quick Mauser question Cyrano, does the bolt sleeve from a Vz24 fit an M24/47 or do I need to play roulette with sleeves till I find one that works?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Not sure to be honest. I would think it should fit, but that's an educated guess. The "24" in the Yugo M24/47 is the FN M24 mauser. Those were very similar to the Czech vz24, but I don't know if they were identical enough with regards to poo poo like bolts. I'm pretty sure that the m24 ordered by the Yugoslavians was the same intermediate-length action as the later Yugo mausers, and I don't think the Czechs were ever into that.

Still, I don't know how critical that is going to be for the bolt sleeve.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Mambo No. 5 posted:

By some studies, it was better. Which is why I'm thinking about doing it to my CMP shooter.

I really, really want to build up a BM59 for more or less this reason. There were some Breda Garand receivers on GunBroker awhile back that would have been perfect to convert, but I didn't have the money at the time.

Side note: If I wanted to hack up an actual Garand reciever to make a BM59 (rather, send it off to be machined), is there any particular s/n or year range I should avoid hacking up? I see pre WW2 stuff, mid-WW2 stuff, and rarely post-war stuff on GunBroker, and the prices on receivers don't seem to vary much by year alone. I'd think post-war production ones would be the least valuable but it doesn't seem to make a difference, at least not for a bare receiver.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

boxen posted:

I really, really want to build up a BM59 for more or less this reason. There were some Breda Garand receivers on GunBroker awhile back that would have been perfect to convert, but I didn't have the money at the time.

Side note: If I wanted to hack up an actual Garand reciever to make a BM59 (rather, send it off to be machined), is there any particular s/n or year range I should avoid hacking up? I see pre WW2 stuff, mid-WW2 stuff, and rarely post-war stuff on GunBroker, and the prices on receivers don't seem to vary much by year alone. I'd think post-war production ones would be the least valuable but it doesn't seem to make a difference, at least not for a bare receiver.

If you're thinking of chopping on one check this poo poo out.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/dutch-m1-with-ar-10-magazines/

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh man, I would love to know what was going on inside there to convert the clip release into a mag release.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

I am so hard rn

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hey Cyrano, you've still got two kidneys right?

https://dwjimports.com/imported-rifles?product_id=90

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Goddamn. Not a bad price either.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh man, I would love to know what was going on inside there to convert the clip release into a mag release.

Today was the first time I noticed that and oh yeah. I would love to see Ian tear that down.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamn. Not a bad price either.

The company is Cole's / CDI under a new name after CDI went bankrupt from a warehouse fire. I ordered a CZ-85 from them last year, very responsive and fast shipping.

I don't think it comes with the scope, though, so that's a downside.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Next chapter in the Saga of the Yugo SKS of Annoyance:

After my buddy and I managed to disassemble the bolt of my M-59/66 due to a sticky firing pin, I ordered a new firing pin and extractor spring. While taking down the bolt, the firing pin retainer was in there like a motherfucker. **Cue ominous foreshadowing**

Well, the parts arrived today, and to distract myself from my dead-end job, I decided to reassemble the bolt. I cleaned the firing pin channel with a .22 bore brush I don't particularly give a poo poo about, and slid in the firing pin, presumably the right side up. It doesn't seem to completely glide back and forth freely, but that's moot because the MOTHERFUCKING firing pin retainer won't go back in. I'm probably going to grab a file and go to town on it while contemplating on why I am spending time and money repairing a mediocre Yugoslavian rifle, but I figure I'd spit this into the void and see if anyone on this forum has any thoughts. On anything, really.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Those firing pin . . .. pins (?) can be pretty tight on Yugos, yeah. I'd try to avoid filing on it though. Make sure the channel it goes in is squeaky clean and try polishing the outside of the pin with some sandpaper. Hell, put some sandpaper on a dowel and polish the inside of where it goes. Filing is going to end up taking off too much material in odd spots and leave you with too loose a fit.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Gotcha, that's kinda what I was thinking. I saw YouTube videos of guys just popping them out with punches and was wildly confused. I swear, if MA wasn't so fucky about ARs when I lived there, I would've gotten one instead of this. I mostly got this because semiauto + centerfire + allowed.

Memo to all: get the gun you want, not the most gun the government will let you have.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SKSs can be fine, fun guns. You just have to get them ticking first.

I had a yugo SKS years ago with a similarly stubborn pin. It loosened up eventually. I suspect the Yugos pressed them in place rather than actually bothering to fit the pins.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I bought a trash grade Cosmo slathered worn out chinese by way of Albania SKS and with the exception of a beer can shim to tighten up the stock fit it's run flawlessly is a neat rifle. You just didnt go beat up enough

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

I believe it. And it isn't a terrible gun, given the fact that it's milsurp.

Relatedly, has anyone else used the rubber dummy rifle grenades with one? I'm tempted to grab one and blanks, once it's back in commission.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Duckboat posted:

I believe it. And it isn't a terrible gun, given the fact that it's milsurp.

Relatedly, has anyone else used the rubber dummy rifle grenades with one? I'm tempted to grab one and blanks, once it's back in commission.

Fun on a bun. also, swing out the bayonet and jab cheap veggies on it and shoot them off. Cabbage is fun

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgfpgZDEOno

Milsurp cosplay with a shoutout to mikerock.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hey old gun aficionados: Sten Freak is doing a read of a book some of you might enjoy: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915087&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I'm bad a taking pics down sights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

What's that distance?