Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Hoarding milsurp knowledge seems like such a boomer move. I'm really glad we have people like Ian and C&Rsenal putting out so much info, even if the guns I want jump up in price every time they do a video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Thermos posted:

Hoarding milsurp knowledge seems like such a boomer move. I'm really glad we have people like Ian and C&Rsenal putting out so much info, even if the guns I want jump up in price every time they do a video.

It's not just boomers, it's an old problem in collector circles.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Somebody Awful posted:

Just got word that my copy of Chassepot to FAMAS has shipped.

Bâtard! I still haven't received my confirmation.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

DeesGrandpa posted:

If you get a rack grade and dont like it I'll happily give you what you paid for it. They're neat.

e: mine, don't know if it was service or field

It was the middle grade, field iirc.

I will say I have no regrets selling it on but I do think the ANAD group of guns have their own neat history and a cool way to get a completely military executed refurbished gun. And because ANAD guns are recognizable they could have a their own following one day.

CMP is just slow on these. If you have a high # anything is still possible.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

PSA has heavily cosmolined chinese type 56 SKS rifles for 350 right now. What are the thread's thoughts on this as a starting milsurp rifle?

Its either 350 on that or 400 for a CETME C parts kit for my receiver.

Relevant edit: shot an SKS with that wacky TAPCO stock with the big mag. Other than the TAPCO nonsense, I liked how it shot.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

From my understanding of US prices that is pretty much rock bottom for a dealer price on an SKS. The description seems to indicate that these have come from one of the former Yugoslavian states, pretty cool for a Chinese SKS.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Ardemia posted:

PSA has heavily cosmolined chinese type 56 SKS rifles for 350 right now. What are the thread's thoughts on this as a starting milsurp rifle?

Its either 350 on that or 400 for a CETME C parts kit for my receiver.

Relevant edit: shot an SKS with that wacky TAPCO stock with the big mag. Other than the TAPCO nonsense, I liked how it shot.

Tons of people here will help you out with cleaning tips, but be warned - those fuckers are cosmoline drenched. My SKS from over a decade ago stained my loving carpet.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Sks' are super fun and like a grandpa AK so get one!

Edit: My sks is the reason that I can't separate the smell of cosmo and brake cleaner in my nose any more. It's still a little stinky but it's fun to shoot.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Action-Bastard posted:

Pics when it arrives, I strongly considered getting it but the price tag beat out my interest in the end. (Not much of a French collector).

Yeah I'd love to get an Ian book, but I'm not that interested in French stuff besides maybe a MAS-49 some day. I did get that FN 49 book he reviewed for Christmas though.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Sweet.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

All matching G43 for cheap!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Oof. That one hurts.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Goddamn gunbroker hurts my head. "House bernt down", "pre ww2 japanses samari swords" uggg. How the hell are people expected to take anything you put up seriously if you cant spell japanese correctly, or samurai, or burnt.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

"japanses" heh

My favorite has always been the guys wanting thousands of dollars based on one terrible pic and "very nice muaser cant up grade from ths onE! super rar!" In short, I loving hate gunbroker.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Boomers, man.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gewehr 43 posted:

"japanses" heh

My favorite has always been the guys wanting thousands of dollars based on one terrible pic and "very nice muaser cant up grade from ths onE! super rar!" In short, I loving hate gunbroker.

Sure but the flip side of that are the dudes putting up “old Mauser nice bore” with pictures taken with a 60 year old Polaroid where if you just squint right you can make out that it’s way more than they think it is. I’ve got a couple guns I never would have gotten if it wasn’t for grandpa not Gunbrokering well.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

So uhhh, how hard is it to find a G43 stock? I love getting in over my head buying hosed up guns!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You can get repros for ~250ish. Having the original stock helps too as you don’t have to source the stock springs etc.

The heat treat should be OK if it didn’t get hot enough to really gently caress the stock. Personally it’s probably worth it as a fixer upper if it goes for less than $1k.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I just got a $500 deductible back from my car insurance subrogation so I guess I'm in. YOLO!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Just be glad it isn't being sold as, "Battle damaged! Pulled from a burning Tiger tank by my grandpa!"

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

This GB account is a goldmine of alternate spelling.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858572924

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

McNally posted:

This GB account is a goldmine of alternate spelling.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858572924

“OLD WAR HOURSE”

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure but the flip side of that are the dudes putting up “old Mauser nice bore” with pictures taken with a 60 year old Polaroid where if you just squint right you can make out that it’s way more than they think it is. I’ve got a couple guns I never would have gotten if it wasn’t for grandpa not Gunbrokering well.

Sure. In my heyday, I had loads of misspellings in my GunBroker search criteria. Muaser and gewher always seemed to yield some decent hits.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cyrano4747 posted:

“OLD WAR HOURSE”

Of corse, of corse

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I saw a guy that had two pretty heavily customized CZs listed as having "cajum" parts (Cajun Gun Works is one of the two biggest CZ custom work shops).

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

McNally posted:

Of corse, of corse

Unles of corse the hourse

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

I know it's hard to be tell just from pictures, but does this look like rust or maybe leftover cosmoline or something?

Description says excellent shape, so I assume it just needs cleaning?

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/2030/59/belgian-browning-high-power-semiautomatic-pistol

e: VVVV cool thanks, that's what I was thinking too, gonna throw a low bid at it.

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 8, 2020

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Wifi Toilet posted:

I know it's hard to be tell just from pictures, but does this look like rust or maybe leftover cosmoline or something?

Description says excellent shape, so I assume it just needs cleaning?

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/2030/59/belgian-browning-high-power-semiautomatic-pistol

Yeah that's 100% grease or cosmo

There's an option to make the images full screen and you can really zoom in on the fuckers.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

I still haven't received my shipping notice.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Tracking info said mine was coming on Wednesday but now it shows as already out for delivery.

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

Just bought a 1967 Winchester 94 "Canadian Centenial" with octagon barrel. Pictures when I got home from work. It has sat in the closet of an acquaintance's dad for probably the last 40 years but it's in fantastic shape aside from being dusty and a smidge of rust on the magazine tube.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Not looking for a new project buuuut....

https://www.apexgunparts.com/parts-kits.html

Some really awesome parts kits here at reasonable prices, how hard is it to source a receiver or barrel for some of these?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

How difficult is it to build a C308 or Cetme L? I heard that an 8mm Label case helps with the main spring on the L.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Mambo No. 5 posted:

How difficult is it to build a C308 or Cetme L? I heard that an 8mm Label case helps with the main spring on the L.

I've heard G3s (and presumably C308s are more or less the same) are fairly difficult to build. I've never build a gun from a flat before so maybe I'm not the right guy to answer this but my impression is that it's on the more advanced side of things. There's welding required at a couple points and I think you have to press the barrel(trunion?) into the receiver.

No idea about the L.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Action-Bastard posted:

Not looking for a new project buuuut....

https://www.apexgunparts.com/parts-kits.html

Some really awesome parts kits here at reasonable prices, how hard is it to source a receiver or barrel for some of these?

Wow. Lots of old Yugo stuff there. The MP40 copy is kinda neat.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I think Ian and Karl (of Forgotten Weapons/InRange) put together Cetme L's in a video series on Full30.com, since YouTube doesn't like that sort of thing. Didn't look too hard from what I remember, but you need some tools and a welder.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Made a box thread for Ian's book.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Speaking of Gun Jesus, I recently found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0D6p3w2qgY

I want an 1897 and will probably never afford a real M1897.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

https://youtu.be/KvuDXlN2bvY

Currently praying for Gun Jesus to do a book on the Ross next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Let me just buy a Ross first so their prices dont sky rocket ok