Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty

While scrubbing the rust off an Oviedo mauser I bought off gunbroker I found a cockroach smashed in the trigger assembly. Will removing the cockroach hurt the collector value? I am unsure if the cockroach is original.

Nasty Old Randy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I can say with confidence that cockroaches are not part of Oberndorf factory spec, and if Oviedo thought otherwise they should be ignored.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nasty Old Randy posted:

While scrubbing the rust off an Oviedo mauser I bought off gunbroker I found a cockroach smashed in the trigger assembly. Will removing the cockroach hurt the collector value? I am unsure if the cockroach is original.

Bury it with full honors. Plant a teeny tiny Spanish flag on it's grave while "La Cucaracha" plays in the background.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

This went for $1245. I tapped out at $1220 which is way higher than I should have gone but I'm an auction sucker who can't control himself.

Maybe it'll explode on him

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

my kinda ape posted:

This went for $1245. I tapped out at $1220 which is way higher than I should have gone but I'm an auction sucker who can't control himself.

Maybe it'll explode on him

Yeah, more than I would have paid. $1k is about where I would have considered it a good deal. A lot of it depends on how hosed the finish is and I couldn't really get that from the pics.

Still, assuming the finish is OK a total of ~$1500 for matching metal in a repro stock is pretty cheap.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Hell, I tapped at $800 on that one, because I'm a poor.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

He's got a bunch of "bernt" guns. Any estimate on what this Mauser is worth? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858946443

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

my kinda ape posted:

He's got a bunch of "bernt" guns. Any estimate on what this Mauser is worth? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858946443

NIce "Spandua."

That one is a complete roll of the dice. The wood actually looks to be in OK shape, albiet a bit scorched, and I don't see any sign of rust on the metal except for maybe around the barrel. The question is what is the over all status of the gun? If it's a mixmaster it might only be worth a few hundred bucks. If it's all matching and the wood's as good as I think it is (well, for housefire wood) then maybe $500 or even $700.

Now, for a really ugly gun check out this poor Gew88. Rusted to gently caress in addition to the fire damage. That's not even a parts gun.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858945534

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Really that dude's auctions are the perfect storm of utter poo poo pictures, non existent descriptions, misspellings, and guns that REALLY need quality pictures to show you what the underlying gun is and just how bad the fire damage is.

Also I'm saving that seller in the hopes that he's this bad with his normal auctions.

edit: oof, maybe not. His non-fire poo poo is expensive with the same crap photos. Look at this mosin sniper: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853525263

$1k might be about right for those these days, but the pics are terrible and show none of the important details, plus the stock looks like it might have been refinished. Not sure, pics suck

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It was obviously a pretty big fire that hosed a pretty big collection. Check out this Yugo AK: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858944753 Really only one side of the stock scorched.

Reminder to make sure you have insurance if you have any kind of decent sized collection.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

He has some feedback going on, though.

quote:

Deceiving pics of 98 Mauser in fire. Only good side shown, not unrepairable severely charred side. His re; send back/ full refund-$120 SHORT Now changes ads to refund his discretion.NOT TRUSTWORTHY!

Response (left on 01/09/2020):
GUN WAS SOLD AS A PARTS GUN A GUN THAT WAS BURNT IN A FIRE WITH NO REFUNDS. WE EVEN GAVE HIM A REFUND WE DID NOT HAVE TO.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Like, why would you look at this picture and say "yes, I will put it in my auction."

Just take a second one that isn't blury as gently caress. If someone put this in a box thread we'd all laugh at them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You would put in your auction because you are trying to scam people.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Too old for: computer

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You would put in your auction because you are trying to scam people.

Eh, maybe, but the vast, vast majority of the times that I've seen it it's just a clueless old person.

I kind of love auctions like that, because if you squint, tell yourself some pretty little lies, and roll the dice you can sometimes end up owning some really crazy poo poo. I've got a mum-intact T99 that had a picture so blurry you could barely tell it was there, but the price stayed so low as a result that I gave it a shot.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

That's how I got a Ross Mk. II and a pristine Enfield No. 2 Revolver with holster once. Some goofy PA auction someone linked in here that had tiny 100x200 pixel images and 6 word descriptions for every gun. Wasn't a major site and not many people knew of it so the prices all staid pretty low. There were like 4 sniper rifles in that auction too and they all sold for low to middling repro prices, I chased each of them up but ended up not being able to afford any - still wonder if maybe I missed the deal of a life time there.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

My C&R license is going to expire in July. I read on the ATF website that they'll SHOULD send me a form 90 days before it's up. I don't really trust that. It said that I need to fill out a Form 8 part 2? maybe? and I can't find it in their list of forms. It goes from form 7 to 9. Ugh.

Have you guys received your paperwork from them when your license was about to expire?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Also, have there been any new shipments of anything cool that have been coming in to online stores lately (not gunbroker unless it's a buy now)? I have a hankering to buy something but it doesn't look like anything interesting is available right now.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My C&R license is going to expire in July. I read on the ATF website that they'll SHOULD send me a form 90 days before it's up. I don't really trust that. It said that I need to fill out a Form 8 part 2? maybe? and I can't find it in their list of forms. It goes from form 7 to 9. Ugh.

Have you guys received your paperwork from them when your license was about to expire?

I got a letter in the mail when it was time to renew, and it was a very simple process. I would trust that you'll get something, assuming that this covid-19 chaos doesn't last forever.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ok cool. I'll hold out until June and take action if I don't see anything. Thanks.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Yeah, mine is up in May and I got a renewal form last month.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I bought a third Mosin.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Somebody Awful posted:

I bought a third Mosin.

How many rolls of TP did it cost you?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I'm finally down to one mosin. It'll go back to 2 if I can track down one of those PU ones at a reasonable price.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I was down to 3, then a friend gave me one.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I have 6. I may have a problem.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I can help you cure that illnessand it'll only cost you 1 mosin.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I think I'm going to need a celebratory mosin day once the ranges are cool again. Close to dusk as possible running a couple hundred surplus ball through the M44 should set us right.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

DkHelmet posted:

Nothing about this seems problematic. You and mosins fit the "N+1" category criteria in my head.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DkHelmet posted:

That's not a problem.

That's a fire team.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Just got my Coronavirus panic buy in the mail.

It's an Apfeltor G43 gas kit.

I sold my old one along with a rifle a few years back then got another G43 and hadn't gotten around to getting a new kit because I had other things to buy. Only I think the guy who made them is kinda old and I got kinda worried he might get the 'roni and die.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Can you fire modern ammo through a Mauser and Mosin?

Last time I went to the rifle range and shot these I tested them out and the ammo got stuck in the chamber each time. I had to use a big metal pole, that they had available for just that, to get them out. I put maybe 3 rounds through each and it was the same each time.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

DkHelmet posted:

I also have six, and shut up I can quit whenever I want

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Can you fire modern ammo through a Mauser and Mosin?

Last time I went to the rifle range and shot these I tested them out and the ammo got stuck in the chamber each time. I had to use a big metal pole, that they had available for just that, to get them out. I put maybe 3 rounds through each and it was the same each time.

Yep.

I could see a bolt getting a bit sticky, maybe, if it was a heavy bullet sitting on top of a moose fucker load, but if anything most commercial 8mm loads are lighter than the military ones. Why? Because SAAMI was afraid people would put it in clapped out, re-chambered Gew88s back in the day, so the SAAMI 8mm specs are pretty mild.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Are your extractors hosed somehow? A Mauser in particular shouldn't be leaving the shell behind. THat's a beefy and aggressive as gently caress extractor and it grabs that case pretty well.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it possible you've still got some cosmoline gumming things up?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yep.

I could see a bolt getting a bit sticky, maybe, if it was a heavy bullet sitting on top of a moose fucker load, but if anything most commercial 8mm loads are lighter than the military ones. Why? Because SAAMI was afraid people would put it in clapped out, re-chambered Gew88s back in the day, so the SAAMI 8mm specs are pretty mild.

Ok that's good news. After the first ammo didn't work I ordered two new boxes of 8mm and 7.62x54r but haven't tried it yet.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are your extractors hosed somehow? A Mauser in particular shouldn't be leaving the shell behind. THat's a beefy and aggressive as gently caress extractor and it grabs that case pretty well.

I don't think so. I haven't done it but I can, very carefully, cycle some live rounds through it to see if it extracts fine.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it possible you've still got some cosmoline gumming things up?

It shouldn't. I've had the Mauser for years and put maybe 5 rounds through it 15+ years ago. I got the 91/30 two years ago and I have a decent system. I have a big plastic tub and broke it all down and soaked everything in mineral spirits. I gave it a good clean.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I've run all sorts of ammo through my Mosin from dirty surplus, modern steel cased, and also Winchester hunting soft point. It all works and I've never gotten a stuck bolt.

You might have something weird going on with your receiver and bolt, are they matching serials?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I believe everything is matching. And I find it odd that I had that problem with both of them at the same time while at the range. The Mauser shot just fine before when I did it years ago but I'm 0/5 for the Mosin. I think I had to use a hammer or brute strength to get the bolts back. I've been wanting to go to our lovely outdoor range lately but I'm not going to sit out in 28F weather. It'd be nice to go this weekend, which they're only open, but Wisconsin is finally shutting down tomorrow and I doubt that's an essential business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I missed the bit with the Mauser sorry.

What brand of ammo were you shooting? If you're getting the same result with two different rifles I'm quicker to blame the ammo.