Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Also crosspost from the milhist thread. Note that one of these free books is about the Martini-Henry rifle, which is very much something some of you would be interested in.

Pharohman777 posted:

https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/Free_eBooks_week_1/

Osprey publishing is offering 5 free ebooks this week due to the coronavirus.

They are:
US Marine vs Japanese Infantryman
Bf 109E/F vs Yak-1/7
Sassanian Elite Cavalry AD 224Ė642
Blackbeardís Last Fight
The Martini-Henry Rifle

Hot drat. Note that it's per week so yay to that too. Check back periodically.

The martini-Hentry book in particular looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Those books look pretty cool. I'll check out that GCA and probably become a member.

They have a service grade one available atm for $750 that looks pretty good:

RM1SERVICE M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available Service grade rifle. See above for Service Grade description. Rifle shipped in CMP hard rifle case.

What's been the turnaround time lately when you order the rifle?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also crosspost from the milhist thread. Note that one of these free books is about the Martini-Henry rifle, which is very much something some of you would be interested in.

Hell yeah thanks for this

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Can you not order from the CMP online? I'm having a hard time understanding all of the stuff from their website. They have a fillable pdf form but it doesn't say I can email it to them. I can order by phone but they need my eligibility info beforehand so I'm guessing I'd have to print it out and mail it in. edit: can't order firearms by phone

I need to buy a new printer if this all has to be done via mail because my HP Envy 4500 isn't working anymore and it is impossible to get a hold of HP support. Like, I actually can't get a hold of them. They make you jump through many hoops, don't even list customer support on parts of their site, and then they direct me to online assistants when I call. Never buying from them again.

I also signed up for the GCA but have no instructions of what to do next. Will someone review my order and then I become a member? How long before they send my member status to CMP?

AArrrggghhhh this is frustrating me.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 26, 2020

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

The CMP is pretty old-school you'll have to send the order in the mail. I think you even have to get part of it notorized. It's definitely one of those places you're going to have to be patient for. As for the GCA wait until you get your membership card in the mail in a week or two, so you can add a copy of it into your order.

The CMP is the best way to get an affordable, quality Garand. You just have to jump through some hoops and be patient.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yeah I've heard some of you guys waiting for information from them. They seem like a really good organization. I'm just unable to find clear instructions. I'm probably an idiot and just need to be walked through it. It's starting to come together. That notarization thing really sucks though. Can banks do that?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Pretty much all banks have a notary, yes. Every one that I've ever had an account at will do it free if you have poo poo on deposit there.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Excellent. I really appreciate your guy's help. I've had a lot of caffeine today and I need to settle down. Sometimes when I want something I don't think about it and just order it immediately. Sometimes I take my time and do tons of research on stuff. Right now I'm holed up at home (like always) and am just getting antsy.

I want to buy something now. eek

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

The garand purchase process is pretty painless and I would expect it to ship in less than 2 weeks, barring all this covid-19 insanity. Those of us waiting for notification from them and talking about it recently were all discussing the 1911 purchase process, which was more obnoxious and not at all transparent.

Basically for a garand you print the pdf and make sure you do all the steps and include all the right docs, then get it notarized and send it off. Then within a few weeks a rifle shows up at your door.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

My friend got a Special grade Garand from CMP a week or two ago. I'll see if I can get him to post pics here. It looked real nice. Janurary 1944 IIRC

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 26, 2020

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

It's a lot of paper work but it's pretty painless.

I could gripe all day about not getting a de facto WWII serial, but I have a new old garand, basically sitting in a crate since the early 50s with original everything rated 10/10

You can do worse

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Age is just a number. I got a '53 Garand and I love it as much as any WWII gun.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

I have a 1954 IHC that I got from CMP and it's a great shooter. I specifically wanted a post war gun so I wouldn't have to care when I shot it a bunch and used it.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

I just want to point out that there's no sense in rushing. The CMP closed all of their facilities on the 23rd and will remain closed through April 6th at the earliest.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Oh yeah I don't hate it at all. All the usgi goodness but a perfect muzzle and bore. I still replaced the springs and the gas plug though. Such a fun shooter if ammo wasnt as expensive as toilet paper now

I guess I could technically shoot anything in the right bullet weight because of the new plug, but it's so nice using the sights untouched to ring steel @200 yards with my first 8 shots with it ever

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

You're darn right I'm interested. And in Sassanid Cavalry too, because why not?

Thank you for sharing this.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Just remember to check your new M1 for unpleasant surprises.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Miso Beno posted:

I just want to point out that there's no sense in rushing. The CMP closed all of their facilities on the 23rd and will remain closed through April 6th at the earliest.

Yeah I always get nervous in dealing with C&R guns because they can always vanish so quickly. Looking at the CMP list, almost everything is sold out. I guess I just saw the list and freaked out a bit. I'll take a deep breath and do this correctly.

Can you fire modern ammo out of the Garands?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah I always get nervous in dealing with C&R guns because they can always vanish so quickly. Looking at the CMP list, almost everything is sold out. I guess I just saw the list and freaked out a bit. I'll take a deep breath and do this correctly.

Depends on the ammo. There is some ammo loaded to m2 ball specs but that's all you'll want to use with a stock garand. Normal hunting ammo can gently caress up the op rod. To shoot most commercial ammo you'll want to install an adjustable gas plug and tune it so it's not battering the gun. Those run about $40 iirc.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

*posts cracked M1 Carbine receiver*

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

*posts cracked M1 Carbine receiver*

That's m1 carbines being m1 carbines. They're just less durable guns and over enough time and enough rounds a lot of them go there.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

*posts cracked G43 reciever*

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

poo poo let me dig around my drive and Iíll find a pic of an exploded one.

Donít shoot Yugo 50s in autoloaders.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Pennywise the Frown posted:

In the words of Cyrano, "Gas plugs are cheap, op rods are expensive."

Pick up one of these, I have one for each M1 I own: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100471950

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ_F1riBth8

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Cyrano4747 posted:

Donít shoot Yugo 50s in autoloaders.

Or Turkish.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I am quite happy to have stacked HXP M2 ball deep, both because it's rad and because I don't need to worry about a plug. When I run out of that I plan to just use the M2 spec PPU or Federal ammo, I don't really have a need to run any different 30-06 loads through it.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

poo poo let me dig around my drive and Iíll find a pic of an exploded one.

No don't. Things are stressful enough right now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DeesGrandpa posted:

I am quite happy to have stacked HXP M2 ball deep, both because it's rad and because I don't need to worry about a plug. When I run out of that I plan to just use the M2 spec PPU or Federal ammo, I don't really have a need to run any different 30-06 loads through it.

I'm down to something like my last 200 rounds of HXP. Happily I've saved all my brass so I've got a poo poo load of that. I need to set aside a bunch of it for .30-06 reloading and prevent myself from cutting it up into 8mm Mauser or 7.7 Japanese.

I could just load to M2 spec but I'm going to get a plug anyways. It just opens up a lot more options for dialing in accuracy loads and honestly I find tuning the gas on old auto loaders to be fun.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

No don't. Things are stressful enough right now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gently caress #27

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

gently caress #27

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

On another note, check out #18 and #17 on there. Long story short, 18 retains a spring that rides over 17 and holds the whole thing into 26 when the bolt's put together. 17 has a pair of cuts along the side that 18 slots into. Interestingly they made one of 18's ears bigger than the other and milled one of 17s slots bigger, so that it's impossible to install it in the wrong orientation.

That's one of the things that I love about those guns. They're so PROFOUNDLY late WW2 German. The receiver has zero cosmetic milling, and you can see the raw forging.* The gas system is hilariously over-powered because gently caress it, that'll make it reliable in the dirt and we don't have time to figure out a better solution, with the result that they'll beat themselves to death eventually. Everything that can be stamped is stamped.

But, at the same time, they loving had to take the time to make these fiddly little nice features, like a bold hold open latch on the bolt or making sure that you can't install a spring retainer backwards by milling two different sized slots.

*unless it's one of the early receivers that got a cosmetic finish. God I want one of those.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Somewhere, a German mechanic mutters "hello old friend" with the tone - a mixture of resignation and nostalgia - that I use when I see Goatse.

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

You monster!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man, I still think the locking flaps on the bolt is one of the neater aspects of those guns. Such a nifty system that you really don't see many other places.

Kartoffeldonner
Jan 30, 2016

my kinda ape posted:

My friend got a Special grade Garand from CMP a week or two ago. I'll see if I can get him to post pics here. It looked real nice. Janurary 1944 IIRC

It me. Here's some lovely pictures I took.

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with what I got, especially for the price. I'm honestly tempted to buy another one. Externally, the rifle came pristine, until I gunked it up with lubricant. When I field stripped it, I could see some of the age on the internals, but everything is still in very good condition. Like somebody said though, .30-06 costs an arm and a leg, so don't plan on shooting it a ton unless you're rich, or into reloading.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Oh yummy. I'd been eyeing one of those for once this is over, some BLO on the stock and that'll look pretty hot.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Feeding my Garand is the whole reason I got into reloading. It's really not that hard, and if you're shooting milsurp moon rounds it pays for itself pretty quickly.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

DeesGrandpa posted:

Yeah when CMP had HXP in stock, I bought four cases of it. I'm all set for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kartoffeldonner posted:

It me. Here's some lovely pictures I took.

Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with what I got, especially for the price. I'm honestly tempted to buy another one. Externally, the rifle came pristine, until I gunked it up with lubricant. When I field stripped it, I could see some of the age on the internals, but everything is still in very good condition. Like somebody said though, .30-06 costs an arm and a leg, so don't plan on shooting it a ton unless you're rich, or into reloading.

Nice, WW2 serial.

Wonder what the K on the heel means.

I'm constantly tempted to get another Garand, just because I kind of feel like I should have a WW2 era one. Problem is that my current post-WW2 Springfield is a great shooter with an original stock, and I really don't need two Garands.