Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Speaking of carbines, I found a Spanish Destroyer up here, chambered in 9mm Largo, for $625 CAD. Seems like a neat gun I had absolutely never heard of before, and conveniently for Canadians has not been used in any recent massacres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I always loved the name of that thing lol, even if it is sort of goofy looking. I had an Astra 400 in 9mm Largo once which was a really stout shooter - not surprising from a straight blowback pistol I guess. Might be fun in a carbine!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Sten Freak posted:

:agreed:

Fakes are sadly common in the carbine world.

fwiw, at this point I'd just stick it in a nice stock too and shoot and enjoy it. Replace the recoil spring first to avoid disappointment though. I've had to replace them on 5 guns! Only a gun from the CMP was good to go.

Already replaced all the springs except the two inside the bolt. They seemed like they were in good condition already but I had the new ones so I figured I might as well.

Bidding on this NPM stock set. Not quite what it was issued with but it's the right company and it looks good.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-Carbine-Stock-Hand-Guard-National-Postal-Meter-US-GI-WWII-/303553699119?nav=SEARCH

Any idea what I should stop bidding at? If it goes for under $200 I'll be happy.

I shot 60 rounds out of it last night and it ran pretty well aside from a couple hiccups. The first round didn't want to chamber and I think it might have just been a little wonky or something. It wouldn't chamber even after I ejected it and fired the rest of the mag although I got it to work eventually. Had a failure to extract and the outside of the case looked really dirty so maybe the chamber is gunky or something. Other than those two problems it ran perfectly.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 1, 2020

biracial bear for uncut
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1-2-3!

Is this a good deal?

https://www.classicfirearms.com/chinese-sks-rifle-762x39/

Potential slam-fire rifle? :v:

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Don't give money to Classic is the general rule, and I think PSA had grade 2's on sale recently.

Edit: out of stock.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

The price seems alright but it is Classic Arms so expect paying extra for hand picking to be a complete waste of money and the gun to be in 10x worse condition than pictured.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

my kinda ape posted:

Already replaced all the springs except the two inside the bolt. They seemed like they were in good condition already but I had the new ones so I figured I might as well.

Bidding on this NPM stock set. Not quite what it was issued with but it's the right company and it looks good.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-Carbine-Stock-Hand-Guard-National-Postal-Meter-US-GI-WWII-/303553699119?nav=SEARCH

Any idea what I should stop bidding at? If it goes for under $200 I'll be happy.

I shot 60 rounds out of it last night and it ran pretty well aside from a couple hiccups. The first round didn't want to chamber and I think it might have just been a little wonky or something. It wouldn't chamber even after I ejected it and fired the rest of the mag although I got it to work eventually. Had a failure to extract and the outside of the case looked really dirty so maybe the chamber is gunky or something. Other than those two problems it ran perfectly.

Clean the gently caress out of it and replace the springs but don't get too nuts/worried about it. I don't think I've seen a single carbine that I'd call reliable, though some are worse than others. My $500 underwood (pictured below), for example, is on the crummier end of that and will have either a stovepipe or have a feeding issue every other magazine, sometimes more, sometimes less if it's absolutely filthy dripping oil wet. Still fun, not a reliable gun or that accurate, but fun. One last thing, if your accuracy goes to poo poo and it starts "patterning", check your rear sight, I've had two go loose in the dovetail.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Honestly, I got a Serbian SKS from Classic and it was possibly one of the best condition C&R rifles I've ever gotten. I always hand pick. I haven't ordered from them in a while though after all of the discussion about them here.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Don't give money to Classic is the general rule, and I think PSA had grade 2's on sale recently.

Edit: out of stock.

Palmetto? Ain't they the dudes that have piss-awful credit card control?

If I didn't already have an SKS I'd consider a Chinese model. I'd consider one anyways if I had more income just because I like the gun and think it has some historical worth and it's bound to appreciate in value. Aside from the gooey trigger ( and I'm sure you can fix that ), they're not bad rifles. Lot of fun, actually. Easy to load.

If anyone does buy one tho, make sure you got a good vise and a punch for getting the retaining pin out of the bolt because it's real loving in there and you won't be able to clean out all that stupid loving cosmo without getting it all the way apart.

AceMcSquelch
Feb 16, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If anyone does buy one tho, make sure you got a good vise and a punch for getting the retaining pin out of the bolt because it's real loving in there and you won't be able to clean out all that stupid loving cosmo without getting it all the way apart.

Ahem... this is TFR. We use ratty pots of boiling water for that.

Edit: wait. TFR or STS. I'm disoriented now.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

The other general rule is use privacy.com when dealing with PSA. I got mine from AIM surplus and I blasted the bolt with brake cleaner until all the bits moved the way they were suposed to, then I plasted it with simple green and stuck it in a ziplock in direct sunlight.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Mambo No. 5 posted:

The other general rule is use privacy.com when dealing with PSA. I got mine from AIM surplus and I blasted the bolt with brake cleaner until all the bits moved the way they were suposed to, then I plasted it with simple green and stuck it in a ziplock in direct sunlight.

My AIM one cleaned up pretty nice

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

my kinda ape posted:

Refinished, though it is gorgeous. For my two cents it is already close to value but of course is worth what someone will pay for it.

Iíve been lucky with my carbines in that theyíve all been runners with good mags and new Wolff springs. Iíve had 3 AKs and none ran 100%, go figure.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Sten Freak posted:

Refinished, though it is gorgeous. For my two cents it is already close to value but of course is worth what someone will pay for it.

Iíve been lucky with my carbines in that theyíve all been runners with good mags and new Wolff springs. Iíve had 3 AKs and none ran 100%, go figure.

Yeah, I've only ha the one carbine but it runs 100%. The only problems I ever had were with a mag that the lugs were just sheared right off the back and with Wolf ammo before I replaced the springs.

Same deal with a good friend's carbine. He wanted one, I helped him through the process of getting one off GB, and helped him get it running. Once we put new springs in it and got him a couple of extra Korean mags it was 100%.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

DeesGrandpa posted:

My AIM one cleaned up pretty nice

I'm still working on the stock on mine and it still stinks like cosmo. I love it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I'm still working on the stock on mine and it still stinks like cosmo. I love it.

When I bought my Yugo, it was smothered in the poo poo. The clerk handed it off to a cashier to ring me up, and she was wearing a fluffy pink turtleneck sweater. Brought it to her chest, as you do. By the time she set it down on the counter, she realized her hands were covered in grease, then looked at her chest, and made a face not unlike my avatar.

Dude 100% did it on purpose and it's still funny to me.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I just put money down on a Quality Hardware! LGS payment plans are cool

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

This is the Serbian SKS I got from Classic before I cleaned the small amount of cosmo off of it.

I think it looks pretty drat nice. Although the stock isn't quite finished the way I like it. It's a bit soft and porous.

I'd much rather give money to Classic than PSA. The hell if I'm going to give money to any single company that I need to use privacy.com to order from them. Plus they came up in the racism/lovely company for selling chud stuff, thread.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Classic's problem is over-representing the condition of their weapons, selling them for way too much, and some super lovely customer service practices.

Like canceling orders when they realize the demand for something is higher than they thought and then re-listing the guns from the canceled orders at much higher prices.

That said, if you got a gun from them that you're happy with and at a price you were willing to pay, more power to you.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Got lost a little bit on gunbroker when I was trying not to think about stuff and wanted something non-stressful to focus on. Found out that there are a surprising amount of affordable French military arms from WW1, particularly pistols, if you bang on the search bar long enough.

I'm going to end up buying something stupid and French sometime. I can mle it in my bones.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cyrano4747 posted:

Classic's problem is over-representing the condition of their weapons, selling them for way too much, and some super lovely customer service practices.

Like canceling orders when they realize the demand for something is higher than they thought and then re-listing the guns from the canceled orders at much higher prices.

That said, if you got a gun from them that you're happy with and at a price you were willing to pay, more power to you.

Yeah it's a crap shoot. So far I've been pretty pleased with everything I've gotten from them. My Enfield had a bent front sight guard and red paint on it but I can't expect it to be perfect. However, if they were to cancel my order to sell it at a higher price I'd be mad beyond reason.

edit: I'd be mad within reason

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Finished up another little restoration project. This was my Martini Enfield when I got it.

And after:

It's far from perfect. The nose cap isn't correct, but I wasn't looking to put much money into a $250 gun. If I come across an original stock for a decent price I may revisit it at some point.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Goddamn loving nice. Where do you even get repro wood for a martini enfield?

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamn loving nice. Where do you even get repro wood for a martini enfield?

Thanks. No idea. I bought a piece of walnut and grafted it on then carved it to shape and stained it. Quarantine has been good for something I guess :v:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Nice work! Restoring a bubbaíd gun must be rewarding.

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Thermos posted:

Thanks. No idea. I bought a piece of walnut and grafted it on then carved it to shape and stained it. Quarantine has been good for something I guess :v:

So if I were to, say, send you the ruined remains of a Gahendra stock...?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

McNally posted:

So if I were to, say, send you the ruined remains of a Gahendra stock...?

That could work. I seem to recall that Martini Metfords and Enfields had barrels with external dimensions similar to the Martini Henry rifles (essentially, they only differed in bore diameter and chamber dimensions), and the Gahendra is a copy of the latter. There are two main issues: first of all, Gahendras are all hand fitted guns and not parts interchangeable so some fitting will likely be required to account for this. Second, the Gahendra is a copy of a Mk II Martini and so its forestock attaches by way of steel pins-- in Mk III/IV Henrys, and Martini Metfords/Enfields, the forestock is held in place by the barrel bands and a metal tang that hooks into the receiver from the forestock. This definitely will require fitting to a Gahendra stock. All that being said, it is certainly doable.

Thermos, you've done a splendid job!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Would have made a pretty good thread detailing what all went into that restoration. I'm jealous of all y'all people who have actual craft skills. I can bodge things into working but making something that looks good with tools and stuff is a foreign idea.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is the Serbian SKS I got from Classic before I cleaned the small amount of cosmo off of it.

I think it looks pretty drat nice. Although the stock isn't quite finished the way I like it. It's a bit soft and porous.

I was thinking of finishing this stock. I don't like how bright and soft it is. First of all, should I? It's a Serbian Police SKS and I don't know how much historical value this thing has. If you would actually suggest screwing with it, what would you use to make this a little more durable and look nicer?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

No, I'd not gently caress with it. It's your gun, and therefore yours to do with what you want, but loving with milsurp is generally frowned upon. Secondly, there's no way to gently caress with it that will change the wood it's made of. You'll be able to change the color, but you can't change the hardness.

If you absolutely hate the stock, you can replace it and just keep the original stock in the closet. A quick googling shows Boyd makes these: https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/custom-search-results and I'd imagine there are others.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nah it's not that big of a deal. I just don't like it so wanted your guys' opinion on if you'd do anything to it and what you'd do if you did.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Jealous of the dudes that got surplus SKSs with battlefield folk art carved into the stocks. I think a few goons have Yugos that got that treatment.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I had one but got rid of if. The art was Serbian nationalist stuff and when I started reading more about what sort of Serbian nationalists were getting older stuff like SKSs it creeped me out.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

have y'all moved away from using tung oil? i seem to recall it coming up when people talked about using BLO and that one wax.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I think itís still used for USGI surplus by some people.

Both it and blo are only correct for certain guns. Donít go slathering it on a Mauser or what have you.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think it's still used for USGI surplus by some people.

Both it and blo are only correct for certain guns. Don’t go slathering it on a Mauser or what have you.

Righto. I was thinking of only using BLO but recalled that tung was mentioned in the past.

Followed all your recommendations to try GB rather than royal tiger, found a nice little k88 for sale. It was $750 which is probably a bit high but I'm really happy with it so far. It was made in 1890 by Haenel making it not quite my oldest firearm but definitely august. The action feels good and I suspect will improve with cleaning. I haven't looked inside the barrel jacket yet so fingers crossed it isn't horrifically rusty. It came with a sling, no idea what make or when.

Here's a sad cellphone pic:

I can't get over how tiny it is! An inch shorter and a pound lighter than an M38 Mosin. I can only imagine it will be fun but unpleasant.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh nice. Good looking wood too.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Ain't that the cutest little thing. :3:

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

MadBimber posted:

Righto. I was thinking of only using BLO but recalled that tung was mentioned in the past.

Followed all your recommendations to try GB rather than royal tiger, found a nice little k88 for sale. It was $750 which is probably a bit high but I'm really happy with it so far. It was made in 1890 by Haenel making it not quite my oldest firearm but definitely august. The action feels good and I suspect will improve with cleaning. I haven't looked inside the barrel jacket yet so fingers crossed it isn't horrifically rusty. It came with a sling, no idea what make or when.

Here's a sad cellphone pic:

I can't get over how tiny it is! An inch shorter and a pound lighter than an M38 Mosin. I can only imagine it will be fun but unpleasant.

Very yummy. I absolutely love short bolt guns with the full stocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Thanks for the tip on getting new M1 Carbine springs. I installed them and the old ones were definitely.. tired. It hasn't been shot in probably 10+ years and it ran without problems except a fully loaded 30rd KCI mag. It didn't seem to want to feed without a little assistance. The 15's ran without issue, including the one it came with. What a nice little rifle.