Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

MadBimber posted:

A shortened Swedish Mauser in the four hundy range:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867375503

With seven days left, I guarantee you it will not stay in the four hundy range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoBilly Caddy
Dec 2, 2005
You might say I picked it up at the factory. It's cheaper that way.

Been awhile since I posted in here.

I took a shot on one of the Royal Tiger carbines. I've always wanted one and I wanted to blow my trumpbux on a gun anyway.
It is absolutely filthy but overall very good condition. No rust, normal stock dings. Its an IBM post-war rebuild.

I had also bought one of those Mosin PU snipers years ago when they were drying up. I'm glad I did. I love shooting it.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Phoneposting my album link from the 1911 thread. If anyone can provide any more info based on the proofmarks that would be neat, but I'm not sure what all could be found out.

http://imgur.com/a/ZvbkEqo

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

I rolled the dice on a VG-Exc M1 Carbine and ended up with similar results. The metal was clean and in good condition, stock is definitely well used and really grimy, but I cleaned it up a bit after I took this pic. Receiver, bolt, barrel (4-43 dated), slide are all Underwood with small parts from a few of the other manufacturers. I haven't checked all of the parts yet, but of note, the trigger housing is a Rock-Ola. I bought a can of that surplus Korean ammo and some extra mags, so now that it is all cleaned up I'm just waiting on a spring kit from Wolff before I take it out for a spin. I'm looking forward to it, I can definitely see why people like these guns and I've been wanting one for a while.

Other than the mag, it came with a sling and an oiler which were a real pain to remove and I'll probably leave off because the sling is pretty ratty and has quite the milsurp bouqet. Interestingly, the oiler still has a bunch of oil in it with a very pleasant and distinct scent that I can place. I wonder how old that oil is.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

gileadexile posted:

Phoneposting my album link from the 1911 thread. If anyone can provide any more info based on the proofmarks that would be neat, but I'm not sure what all could be found out.

http://imgur.com/a/ZvbkEqo

I can't really make much out in the photos, other than it's definitely an M1911. Better pics of the frame markings including serial on the right side, the rampant Colt trademark on the slide if there is one and the serial on the back of the slide under the firing pin stop if it's present would help.

Edit: Re M1 Carbine - it's really cool those things are shipping with original slings and oilers, those things are getting expensive themselves so if you're going to take them off, make sure you store them somewhere safe.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

No rampant Colt..*shrug*

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Rando "mauser" I just saw.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867497581

Yep, that's a mauser alright.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Spanish M1916 with no magazine floorplate or internals. The rando picture of a sporterized M91/30 barrel sure helps.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

flightless greeb posted:

Edit: Re M1 Carbine - it's really cool those things are shipping with original slings and oilers, those things are getting expensive themselves so if you're going to take them off, make sure you store them somewhere safe.

Oh yeah, I think it is neat as well, though I don't always like to leave it on the gun I make sure to hang on to that kind of stuff.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Mine came with a WWII sling and oiler too. Although the sling is pretty greasy or something. It doesn't really smell bad but I wish I could like wash or clean it somehow.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Hey guys I got this in a old box of slings and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about german belt buckles can tell me about it.

I assume the fact that it has english means its fake but I don't know poo poo about them! It looks old as balls though so could maybe be from around WW2?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Thermos posted:

Hey guys I got this in a old box of slings and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about german belt buckles can tell me about it.

I assume the fact that it has english means its fake but I don't know poo poo about them! It looks old as balls though so could maybe be from around WW2?

That etching looks like a home job. That's all I got.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Thermos posted:

Is there anything that actually points to it being German? Those are left-facing swastikas, like you'd see on a Buddhist temple or a Chinese Mauser.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Yeah could be pre 3rd reich good luck symbols. There was even a US military unit that used it at one time

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I'll second Log's observation that it's a hand made etching and nothing professional but it also looks too good to be amateur. Wasn't done in a factory but someone with tools and knowledge did this.

The English on the back could be a red herring, the buckle itself may have originated from an English source but the etching could have been done at a later time.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

gileadexile posted:

No rampant Colt..*shrug*

Hmm, assuming that serial is 59X027 that would make it a 1918 production gun, which the vast majority of M1911s are. The slide for a gun in that serial range should have a rampant colt between the patent numbers, leading me to believe it's a mismatch. Is there evidence of a rampant Colt behind the slide serrations on the left side? It's correct for the slide not to be serialed in that range as well. Also something about the color of the bluing looks off to me, the fact that it appears to match the frame would indicate a reblue I would think.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Somebody Awful posted:

Is there anything that actually points to it being German? Those are left-facing swastikas, like you'd see on a Buddhist temple or a Chinese Mauser.

That thought crossed my mind. Nazi swastikas were always supposed to be "turning" too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Itís possibly a sling of a reservist in the American 45th infantry Oklahoma NG before they changed it to a bird.

Possibly

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867301570

Bolt action lust.

Cruising around on gunbroker when I'm bored has shown me that there's still plenty of WW1/WW2 bolt actions floating around, in various conditions of abuse. Which is fine if you're either looking for something to shoot, or just want to collect an example of a gun.

I was surprised how French WW1 rifles are both uncommon and not terribly expensive, for instance, with some exceptions.

Intact mum Arisakas are surprisingly cheap and common too, at least, the last ditch variety. Appreciate how loving long they can be.

Edit: On a related note, how much of a pain in the rear end would it be to lay an Enfield into a non-sporterized stock? Kind of curious if the sporterized ones are going for less than 200.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 9, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Bolt action lust.

Cruising around on gunbroker when I'm bored has shown me that there's still plenty of WW1/WW2 bolt actions floating around, in various conditions of abuse. Which is fine if you're either looking for something to shoot, or just want to collect an example of a gun.

I was surprised how French WW1 rifles are both uncommon and not terribly expensive, for instance, with some exceptions.

Intact mum Arisakas are surprisingly cheap and common too, at least, the last ditch variety. Appreciate how loving long they can be.

Edit: On a related note, how much of a pain in the rear end would it be to lay an Enfield into a non-sporterized stock? Kind of curious if the sporterized ones are going for less than 200.

Not too difficult from a technical perspective, although enfields are notorious for the wood cracking and turning to mush internally around the fiddly cutouts between the trigger and the wrist. Getting the wood would be tricker but not impossible. Not cheap if you go new repro, but if you go used it can be a crap shoot as to what kind of shape it's in. Then thre's the issue of making sure you have all the metal bits. Nose caps and the like. Again, gettable, and not crazy expensive but not dirt cheap either.

Not an impossible project by any means, but certainly a project.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

No reserve HK SL6 up, ends on 5/20 https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866881155

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

Is there anything to pay particular attention to with Israeli conversion K98k's?

This one caught my eye but the stock looks like a replacement and the parkerized parts don't look right to me: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866892686

I can't get it anyway because the seller won't ship to but I'd like to know for future reference.

I Demand Food fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 9, 2020

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

I Demand Food posted:

Is there anything to pay particular attention to with Israeli conversion K98k's?

This one caught my eye but the stock looks like a replacement and the parkerized parts don't look right to me: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866892686

I can't get it anyway because the seller won't ship to but I'd like to know for future reference.

If you decide you really want it, look for a middleman FFL. They'll receive it out-of-state, do the paperwork, and forward it on to your California dealer, typically for about $60-75 end-to-end.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Bid on this poo poo yo

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867386223

Look at that beautiful Polsin Nagant.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

I Demand Food posted:

That stock has definitely been fiddled with, but I don't know if it's straight fake. There really isn't much faking of the Israeli stuff because the value isn't there. It looks to me like the stock has just been aggressively refinished. If you look at the 7.62 stamp on the heel of the stock it looks like parts of it have been sanded down, which would fit in with it being heavily refinished.

As for the park, that's another giant shrug. The Israelis reparked a lot of their rifles in service, and that might be original military park from them. That said, a lot of the Israeli rifles that came to the US did so via a very rusty stop in Colombia and IIRC a few of the importers re-parked them. I really can't say without better pics.

A lot of the stocks that the rifles that came in via colombia were in were also just in wretched shape. It's not uncommon to see those Israeli k98ks in new stocks. This one, for example, is sitting in a non-israeli stock. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/862183866

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Bid on this poo poo yo

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867386223

Look at that beautiful Polsin Nagant.

The magazine is hosed, the stock looks weird to me but that could be bad lighting.

Otherwise yes that's a good deal if it stays south of $400

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Bolt action lust.

I've restored an SMLE recently. Between those and No. 4s, the SMLE is far, FAR more involved in stocking up and can be a real challenge in terms of both the expense of finding materials and in making things fit. Original wood is getting hard to find and very expensive to the point that there is virtually no difference in price between that and new made stocks. The plus side is that it will (usually) require less fitting to make it work, but the upper handguards in particular can be difficult to find in decent shape as these are prone to cracking, breaking or warping. New wood tends to be oversized and will require a lot of shaping and work on the inletting to make it work. I think that it took me about 50-60 hours of work to get my SMLE done. To do this you will need:

-wood chisels and gouges for carving;
-sharpies to help mark high spots (lampblack will also work);
-files or even fine rasps for some jobs;
- sandpaper and blocks.

This will generate a lot of wood shavings and dust. I undertook this project with the expectation that it would be a pain in the arse, but with the intention of enjoying the process. I did, but it is definitely not for everyone.

Keep in mind that the forestock of the SMLE has an outsized degree of impact on its accuracy. The barrel of those rifles was made intentionally light, so it has a tendency to flex quite a bit on discharge and the stock helps to dampen this effect. It is a semi-floated/supported design and is not meant to be bedded.

But, you can make this:

turn into this:

I've since gone back into the rifle and removed a little more wood in a few places to improve the fit and profile overall and it feels a lot more refined and less like an amateur job. I also intend to add another coat of BLO to the stock to darken it up a touch more but overall I am happy with it.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 9, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Action-Bastard posted:

The magazine is hosed, the stock looks weird to me but that could be bad lighting.

Otherwise yes that's a good deal if it stays south of $400

I'd bid if it wasn't money order fuckery. Stock looks weird but even if it is a total wash, that's still a Polish Mosin for 250. gently caress it. Refinish the stock or slap it in an aftermarket and call it a day.

Fearless posted:

I've since gone back into the rifle and removed a little more wood in a few places to improve the fit and profile overall and it feels a lot more refined and less like an amateur job. I also intend to add another coat of BLO to the stock to darken it up a touch more but overall I am happy with it.

That's really cool. One Enfield I had an eye on has gone up enough to no longer be interesting, and the other has been bore-hosed by corrosive ammo. So I'm just going to wait. I know there's enough parts out there that I could take a decent sporterized rifle and fix it up later, in ways I wouldn't attempt for say, a Berthier with a cracked stock.

I watched a video about the rifle and know the bit about the barrel, hence why I was concerned about how difficult it would be fit new furniture. Ideally, I would actually like a World War 1 version of the rifle, but I wouldn't mind the more common No 4.

You did some beautiful work, and I hope I can do half as good if I start. Man, I need to buy some loving tools and start messing with wood sometime.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Okay, what do you folks think about this one? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868019552

I have The ABCs of reloading on the way, so I'd definitely be reloading for it. Is that a steep price? A good price? It certainly looks very nice, and the guy seems up-front about some dumbo like me fiddling with it stateside.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Okay, what do you folks think about this one? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868019552

I have The ABCs of reloading on the way, so I'd definitely be reloading for it. Is that a steep price? A good price? It certainly looks very nice, and the guy seems up-front about some dumbo like me fiddling with it stateside.

That price is a bit rich, however thats not your typical mosin sniper. Thats probably the best looking mosin sniper I've ever seen, and since its not some soviet war time issued rifle it will likely be in great shape and shoot well.

Also, while you can reload for x54r you can typically find good brass cased for less than $1 a round, so I wouldn't bother.

P.S. love your avatar

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Hungarian ones are some of the best regarded sniper Mosins, ain't they?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Ideally, I would actually like a World War 1 version of the rifle, but I wouldn't mind the more common No 4.

Get both so you can appreciate the differences. Then get an Ishapore. Then get a .22 trainer.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Is that a steep price? A good price? It certainly looks very nice, and the guy seems up-front about some dumbo like me fiddling with it stateside.

Definitely higher than I'd pay for one that's been hosed with.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'd bid if it wasn't money order fuckery.

USPS money orders are pretty easy to do (other than you have to go to the post office in person and risk the rona). I'd say probably half of Gunbroker auctions require them and another quarter will charge you a 3% fee or whatever for using a credit card so they can be worth your time just from that alone.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'd bid if it wasn't money order fuckery. Stock looks weird but even if it is a total wash, that's still a Polish Mosin for 250. gently caress it. Refinish the stock or slap it in an aftermarket and call it a day.

That's really cool. One Enfield I had an eye on has gone up enough to no longer be interesting, and the other has been bore-hosed by corrosive ammo. So I'm just going to wait. I know there's enough parts out there that I could take a decent sporterized rifle and fix it up later, in ways I wouldn't attempt for say, a Berthier with a cracked stock.

I watched a video about the rifle and know the bit about the barrel, hence why I was concerned about how difficult it would be fit new furniture. Ideally, I would actually like a World War 1 version of the rifle, but I wouldn't mind the more common No 4.

You did some beautiful work, and I hope I can do half as good if I start. Man, I need to buy some loving tools and start messing with wood sometime.

Thanks. My wife and I are moving in the next couple of weeks and once I get settled in I intend to do a breakdown of the rifle and document what needs to happen to get it to fit together well. It is rewarding, but a lot of work.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

my kinda ape posted:

USPS money orders are pretty easy to do (other than you have to go to the post office in person and risk the rona). I'd say probably half of Gunbroker auctions require them and another quarter will charge you a 3% fee or whatever for using a credit card so they can be worth your time just from that alone.

Pretty much everything I've ever bought off GB involved a USPS MO and I've never had a problem yet.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Hmmm. I'll have to keep that in mind. How does that work out if someone takes the MO and stiffs you? For that matter, how does GB handle credit card stuff?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

This came in the mail today from Powells, who shipped the book and refunded my money. I tried to contact them but got no response. Thanks for the free book, the fact that it is a pre-run limited edition with a signed title page is icing on the cake! I didn't think it was coming so I ordered another copy from another retailer. I'll be donating one of them to my museum's technical library.

I think Dick Smith is a title not a name.

MadBimber posted:

Followed all your recommendations to try GB rather than royal tiger, found a nice little k88 for sale. It was $750 which is probably a bit high but I'm really happy with it so far. It was made in 1890 by Haenel making it not quite my oldest firearm but definitely august. The action feels good and I suspect will improve with cleaning. I haven't looked inside the barrel jacket yet so fingers crossed it isn't horrifically rusty. It came with a sling, no idea what make or when.

Here's a sad cellphone pic:

I can't get over how tiny it is! An inch shorter and a pound lighter than an M38 Mosin. I can only imagine it will be fun but unpleasant.

I am intensely jealous. I lust for a K88.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

mikerock posted:

This came in the mail today from Powells, who shipped the book and refunded my money. I tried to contact them but got no response. Thanks for the free book, the fact that it is a pre-run limited edition with a signed title page is icing on the cake! I didn't think it was coming so I ordered another copy from another retailer. I'll be donating one of them to my museum's technical library.

I think Dick Smith is a title not a name.

For free? It's a shame it's a gift inscription. Still one hell of a score.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I like the inscription, especially since it's from the author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Hmmm. I'll have to keep that in mind. How does that work out if someone takes the MO and stiffs you? For that matter, how does GB handle credit card stuff?

I guess you could call the cops but they probably wouldn't give a poo poo. The real solution is to not send money orders to people with bad/no feedback. If someone has dozens/hundreds/thousands of positive feedback they're *probably* not going to take your money and run. Not sure about how they handle credit card stuff but worst case you can always do a chargeback.