Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I send my money orders registered mail so I at least have a signature, but yeah it's mostly just relying on feedback and feelings. I've done like 20 buys on gunbroker like that and haven't had a problem yet, knock on wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

I send my money orders registered mail so I at least have a signature, but yeah it's mostly just relying on feedback and feelings. I've done like 20 buys on gunbroker like that and haven't had a problem yet, knock on wood.

This would annoy me to no end. Anything requiring a signature basically fucks me into going to the post office several days later to pick it up, I'd highly suggest asking your counterparty before doing that. Getting tracking at least is always good.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

gently caress that then, I'll go with credit cards forever.

Anyways, I'm bored and winding down for sleep so I'm loving around on gunbroker more.

Anyone want a Nambu? Here's one going in 40 minutes, and it's sitting at 430 dollars. I know somebody wants one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866779446

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

DeesGrandpa posted:

This would annoy me to no end. Anything requiring a signature basically fucks me into going to the post office several days later to pick it up, I'd highly suggest asking your counterparty before doing that. Getting tracking at least is always good.

I don't care at all if it annoys the other party. It's basically my only -minimal at that- self protection from handing off like $900 cash anonymously. If somebody can't deal with signing for hundreds of dollars they're receiving they should not be offering to mail guns to my doorstep, in my personal opinion.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

That offers no more protection than already offered by the postal money orders. Your best protection is going to be relying on feedback and hoping for the best, kinda one of the lovely things about being involved in a hobby that doesn't have a good payment method with buyer protection.

I've been going even lazier and just risking paypal/venmo for things I'm selling or a check for mailed payments, remote deposit is worth the risk for me. I've made a lot of gun purchases/sales and I don't think I've ever actually been scammed.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Anyways, I'm bored and winding down for sleep so I'm loving around on gunbroker more.

Anyone want a Nambu? Here's one going in 40 minutes, and it's sitting at 430 dollars. I know somebody wants one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866779446

I'm glad that has bids, or I'd go for it.

I'm a sucker for weird pistols. But at the rate I collect guns, "Milsurp Oddball Collecting" is probably a few years away for me.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

DeesGrandpa posted:

That offers no more protection than already offered by the postal money orders. Your best protection is going to be relying on feedback and hoping for the best, kinda one of the lovely things about being involved in a hobby that doesn't have a good payment method with buyer protection.

I've been going even lazier and just risking paypal/venmo for things I'm selling or a check for mailed payments, remote deposit is worth the risk for me. I've made a lot of gun purchases/sales and I don't think I've ever actually been scammed.

There are places that will cash a money order with the fakest/no id, so I'm happy to have the proof that it went to an address and was received there. Folks will just have to keep bearing that burden when it's me on the other end.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Action-Bastard posted:

Also, while you can reload for x54r you can typically find good brass cased for less than $1 a round, so I wouldn't bother.

P.S. love your avatar

If youíre talking about Prvi itís utter trash. Fine brass (I reload a lot of it) but goddamn the ammo is less accurate than some surplus Iíve shot.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you’re talking about Prvi it’s utter trash. Fine brass (I reload a lot of it) but goddamn the ammo is less accurate than some surplus I’ve shot.

Well gently caress I'm out of the game. Checking ammo seek for brass cased and the only stuff under $1 a round is PPU and S&B and the "match" ammo is all $1+.

I havent had to buy x54r in years because of my spam cans.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

The Kickstarter for Thorneycroft to SA80 is over. The final score was $579,585.59 from 4122 backers, making it the 11th largest publishing project on KS. It was a hair short of being the 10th largest, but still a good show I think.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Somebody Awful posted:

The Kickstarter for Thorneycroft to SA80 is over. The final score was $579,585.59 from 4122 backers, making it the 11th largest publishing project on KS. It was a hair short of being the 10th largest, but still a good show I think.

A drat good show. I'm glad that Headstamp Publishing is finding success, and I hope to slam-preorder their supposed next offering.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Jehde posted:

A drat good show. I'm glad that Headstamp Publishing is finding success, and I hope to slam-preorder their supposed next offering.

Based on the clues he's been dropping it looks like his next book will be on pre-Mao Chinese small arms, or specifically Chinese Mausers.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Y'all collectors should be snatching up these nice editions. They are going to grow their value and make awesome grandkid gifts.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Action-Bastard posted:

Based on the clues he's been dropping it looks like his next book will be on pre-Mao Chinese small arms, or specifically Chinese Mausers.

Well, I implied the non-Ian offering that seems to be next on the platter: Max Popenker's chronology of automatic Russian rifles.

Ian's endeavours in Chinese rifles interest me too, that Max AK book though.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm a sucker for weird pistols. But at the rate I collect guns, "Milsurp Oddball Collecting" is probably a few years away for me.

thats been my milsurp collecting ever since i got tired of mosins. i have 3-4 guns i basically can't shoot sans reloading and I'm showing no signs of stopping!

Jehde posted:

Well, I implied the non-Ian offering that seems to be next on the platter: Max Popenker's chronology of automatic Russian rifles.

Ian's endeavours in Chinese rifles interest me too, that Max AK book though.

oh man whenever that avtomat gun comes up I'll be slamming the buy button immediately. Russian firearms are basically the only giant hole in forgotten weapon's coverage over the years.

mikerock posted:

I am intensely jealous. I lust for a K88.

yeah I'd wanted one ever since i saw one online some years ago. something about the dopey front end really appeals to me. I'll be taking it apart either this week or next to do some cleaning, we'll see how it looks with some cleaner metal / BLO'd wood.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Don't forget The Emir's New Rifles: A History of the Kabul Arsenal by N.R. Jenzen-Jones and Vernon Easley, which is supposed to be coming out somewhere in there also.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Somebody Awful posted:

Don't forget The Emir's New Rifles: A History of the Kabul Arsenal by N.R. Jenzen-Jones and Vernon Easley, which is supposed to be coming out somewhere in there also.

I'm on that like white on mayonnaise.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

MadBimber posted:

thats been my milsurp collecting ever since i got tired of mosins. i have 3-4 guns i basically can't shoot sans reloading and I'm showing no signs of stopping!

oh man whenever that avtomat gun comes up I'll be slamming the buy button immediately. Russian firearms are basically the only giant hole in forgotten weapon's coverage over the years.

yeah I'd wanted one ever since i saw one online some years ago. something about the dopey front end really appeals to me. I'll be taking it apart either this week or next to do some cleaning, we'll see how it looks with some cleaner metal / BLO'd wood.

There is a weird as hell .32 semiautomatic WWII Webley at the shop I'm picking a gun up from on Tuesday. There is a very real chance I'l walk away with that stupid gun.

It is also about half the price I see it listed at any auctions. The collector in me can't ignore some good old fake value.

Edit : One of these!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webley_Self-Loading_Pistol

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

box thread box thread box thread box thread box thread box thread

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

MadBimber posted:

I wouldnít BLO that k88. Itís too nice a rifle foru that. Get a bottle of Howardís feed n wax.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Fearless posted:

I'm on that like white on mayonnaise.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Same. If the seller screws me I want a way to fight back. I can't do that if I directly give them money. I can do a charge back with a credit card. If that means I can't buy a gun I want then I guess I'm not buying that gun.

I got my M48 from Classic! I was expecting worse but again it's not too bad on the outside. I think the stock looks good considering my expectations. Bolt and receiver don't match, naturally. It's dirty as hell. Not cosmoline. Just... dirt. That's not good. The stock is really grimy. There is a little rust on the end of the barrel which worries me a bit. The barrel is also filled with dirt so hopefully it cleans up well.

We'll have to wait and see after I clean it. I took the chance with Classic so I deserve whatever I get.

How would you guys recommend cleaning this. I'm going to have to take the whole thing apart and go to town on it. I don't think Hoppe's solvent is going to cut it. I have mineral spirits that I've used before in the past and got a big plastic tub and just soaked stuff in there. How about the stock? It's pretty grimy. Can I just use the mineral spirits on that?

So far I'm pleased with the outside. I didn't expect much. The real test is after I clean it and see how the barrel looks. Who knows. I hope that rust cleans off well and it doesn't go far into the barrel. We all knew I took a chance. It was only $400 so I'm not super invested in it.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

For $400 you definitely could have found something better on Gunbroker.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Somebody Awful posted:

For $400 you definitely could have found something better on Gunbroker.

I hate gunbroker.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

That's a rough gun. You'll wanna pick up some 0000 steel wool, and basically any oil to go at the active rust. Give all the metal bits a little soak then using an oily piece of 0000 steel wool, buff that poo poo. Bonus points for using BLO, but anything will do the job.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I've been wanting to pick up steel wool for a while for this sort of thing. Can I get that at the hardware store or do grocery stores even have it?

edit: yep hardware store had it. By the sandpaper.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 10, 2020

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 29, 2020

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

There is no way I can have fun with this one, due to skill, equipment and local pain in the rear end laws ...

but the rare M3 Grease Gun parts kit has showed up again

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've been wanting to pick up steel wool for a while for this sort of thing. Can I get that at the hardware store or do grocery stores even have it?

edit: yep hardware store had it. By the sandpaper.

It's in rough shape but I would avoid sandpaper. 0000 steel wool soaked in oil will remove rust and dirt without damaging anything.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Same. If the seller screws me I want a way to fight back. I can't do that if I directly give them money. I can do a charge back with a credit card. If that means I can't buy a gun I want then I guess I'm not buying that gun.

I got my M48 from Classic! I was expecting worse but again it's not too bad on the outside. I think the stock looks good considering my expectations. Bolt and receiver don't match, naturally. It's dirty as hell. Not cosmoline. Just... dirt. That's not good. The stock is really grimy. There is a little rust on the end of the barrel which worries me a bit. The barrel is also filled with dirt so hopefully it cleans up well.

We'll have to wait and see after I clean it. I took the chance with Classic so I deserve whatever I get.

How would you guys recommend cleaning this. I'm going to have to take the whole thing apart and go to town on it. I don't think Hoppe's solvent is going to cut it. I have mineral spirits that I've used before in the past and got a big plastic tub and just soaked stuff in there. How about the stock? It's pretty grimy. Can I just use the mineral spirits on that?

So far I'm pleased with the outside. I didn't expect much. The real test is after I clean it and see how the barrel looks. Who knows. I hope that rust cleans off well and it doesn't go far into the barrel. We all knew I took a chance. It was only $400 so I'm not super invested in it.

Eek, that's classic for you. I'm always rooting for people who roll the dice to get lucky, but so far they've just been universally lovely. Hope it shoots well at least, and if you like it that's the important thing.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DeesGrandpa posted:

Eek, that's classic for you. I'm always rooting for people who roll the dice to get lucky, but so far they've just been universally lovely. Hope it shoots well at least, and if you like it that's the important thing.

Yeah that's what I'm most concerned about. If it shoots. I have no idea how the barrel looks so we'll see what happens after I get that cleaned out. I'm not too displeased with it atm, but I hope it cleans up well.

I made the sober choice to go with Classic so I get what I get. I've had good luck with them in the past. This is probably the worst one.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

It looks like it came out of a shed in Banja Luka after sitting there for twenty years. Which it might have.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

My Vetterli just showed up! I'm really happy with it overall. The wood was redone at some point (arsenal maybe?) but they did a good job and the metal is pristine.

Love the look, shame I will never get to shoot it. I've been using it a lot in BF1 and I love the sights.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Man that's a pretty rifle.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Love looking at rando milsurp and trying to figure out what the gently caress.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867496554

Stock cut, barrel cut (? maybe), no clear look at the markings except on the bolt.

But, that is a hex bolt. I'm curious if the stock has been refinished or not. This might be something worth bidding on if it stays low. Pictures loving blow tho.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Good obrez candidate :v

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Stock cut, barrel cut (? maybe), no clear look at the markings except on the bolt.

But, that is a hex bolt. I'm curious if the stock has been refinished or not. This might be something worth bidding on if it stays low. Pictures loving blow tho.

No, that is not/will not be something worth bidding on anywhere close to the opening bid. It's a 91/30 with a ruined stock at almost non-hosed 91/30 prices.

e: Also, when people talk about Hex Mosins they're talking about the receiver, not the bolt.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Yeah bad pics aside I wouldn't touch that unless I had a cheap source for a replacement stock and handguard.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

How would you guys recommend cleaning this.

The correct way to preserve that piece would be to clean up the rust completely but keep the original bluing, with no chemicals. degrease, then boil the parts. Followed up with a carding brush, or wheel to clean off the parts. Reoil, reassemble.
M48 bolts should be in the white, but yours looks like it was painted or blued at some point or is it just absurdly dirty....

This video explains the process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQFxUNQOYKo

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

DeesGrandpa posted:

No, that is not/will not be something worth bidding on anywhere close to the opening bid. It's a 91/30 with a ruined stock at almost non-hosed 91/30 prices.

It could theoretically be an ex-dragoon, but I wouldn't roll the dice based on just those pictures. Not at that starting price anyway.