Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

Looks like the stock has been sanded and polished as some milsurp collectors were want to do back in the 50-00s.

Also, sup '18 production Remington Buddy.

I did find this one faint mark on the stock:

But I'm pretty sure that's not an original marking, and I'm pretty sure it looks deliberate. But honestly it's hard to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

That's the SPECTRE logo

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Xpost from the Deals Thread:

Used Smith and Wesson Model 1917nim Fair to Gold Condition for less than $500

Seems like a pretty decent deal, although I'm a little concerned about the bore condition.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

That M1917 looks so good. I hope I find one that I can afford this year.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Yeah, that looks like a sanded stock. You can see where the high points have been taken down, and that high shine is possible by using ever finer grit sandpaper and finishing it off with oil.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, that looks like a sanded stock. You can see where the high points have been taken down, and that high shine is possible by using ever finer grit sandpaper and finishing it off with oil.
I did some askin' around and if it's true milsurp, it's a Brazillian pistol that's had its side plate removed so it's entirely possible the stocks got a severe case of jungle rot. Otherwise, it's a commercial gun that's been rode hard and put up wet.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think he was talking about the 1917 posted upthread.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think he was talking about the 1917 posted upthread.

Yup.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mixed up my 1917s.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

are there any rifle/pistol/shotgun combos that all share the same model year? Would be a fun three gun gimmick.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

are there any rifle/pistol/shotgun combos that all share the same model year? Would be a fun three gun gimmick.

If someone had a Browning M1917 water-cooled machine gun...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Was there an 1873 shotgun? You've got the SAA and Winchester there. I feel like there's a lot less options for shotguns, seems like more year-designated guns were pistols or rifles than shotguns.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Funny thing is that I randomly found a 1917 bayonet in my basement yesterday. Pretty good rust on it. Winchester made. Thing is stupid long at 17".

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Cyrano4747 posted:

Borchardt C93 + Mauser Model 1893 + Winchester Model 1893.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

Borchardt C93 + Mauser Model 1893 + Winchester Model 1893.

Goddamn we have a winner.

Also crazy expensive 3 gun lineup.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

E2M2 posted:

Funny thing is that I randomly found a 1917 bayonet in my basement yesterday. Pretty good rust on it. Winchester made. Thing is stupid long at 17".

Iíll take a stab at it. How much if the rust isnít too crazy?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Was there an 1873 shotgun? You've got the SAA and Winchester there. I feel like there's a lot less options for shotguns, seems like more year-designated guns were pistols or rifles than shotguns.

Another rifle, but was the trapdoor officially called the Springfield Model of 1873?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

E2M2 posted:

The 1907 bayonets that were issued with the SMLE were ridiculously long too, and prone to getting stuck in people. Apparently, the CEF very quickly turned to breaking them in half and filing on a new point so as to make them a little easier to remove.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Colt M1911 + Schmidt-Rubin G11 + Winchester Model 1911.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

LingcodKilla posted:

I’ll take a stab at it. How much if the rust isn’t too crazy?

Thinking about keeping it to put on my 1903a3

edit heres some pictures

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 17, 2020

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Hey Cyrano, how compatible are Mauser bolt parts? I'm wondering if a bolt with a finish on it might take out the slop. I was talking with a friend and he mentioned that maybe a Bubba tried to "smooth" out the action by messing with the bolt parts (hopefully) or the gun side of the action (hopefully not).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

M48 bolt parts are not interchangeable with k98k.

Yugo bolts were in the white from the factory.

How much slop are we talking here? Can you take a video with your phone?

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I'm out of town, I'll have to take one when I get back. I can't be sure, but it feels like a tenth of a milimeter. Maybe even less, but I can definitely move it downward if I push on it.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

I shot one of my 91/30 PUs with non surplus ammo for the first time yesterday. Hell I'd never shot non surplus x54r before. It's S&B 180gr Tactical camo green box ammo. It shot low for me which isn't surprising given it was dialed in for light ball surplus but once I got it zeroed I put two rounds within an inch of each other then ended up shooting a 2.5" group at 100yds. I didn't have a good rest so pretty sure the group's growth was all me.

I've pulled and weighed surplus and the weights of bullets and powder are fairly consistent but I suspect time and small variations and probably the quality of the powder itself combine to produce inferior ammo for target shooting.

I bought the ammo for the cases mainly but it's got me thinking about heavy projectiles. I'm going to load some of the pulled light projectiles then have to decide what bullets to use, likely selling the rest of my surplus to buy bullets as it seems a waste to pull it all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mine shoots pretty great with hand loads. They really respond to that kind of attention. L

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Iím excited to see what hand loads will do given the S&B shot pretty well. Iíve got N150 powder and two different weight light ball pulled projectiles. It felt really good to see a non sooty bore and not have clean corrosive mess after shooting. Iím done with surplus in this gun.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Iím done with surplus ammo period. Just too much of a pain in the rear end and I can make rifle ammo pretty cheap.

I just like being able to throw my guns in the safe and deal with cleaning them later.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Iíve also been real happy with what handloads and some time and attention can do in Mosins. Grafís has a custom 0.3115Ē Hornady FMJBT (something like that, work posting) that is a real nice bullet that fits some mildly shout out barrels. So far theyíre surprisingly more accurate than internet anecdote would believe.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

Right on, I'll check that bullet out. A friend has offered to slug my barrel when he does his.

And Cyrano, not having to clean the day of shooting was the #1 reason I wanted to load for it but finding how accurate I can load for it and seeing what it can do at 500 yards will be fun.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh yeah. Iíve been super impressed with the accuracy Iíve rung out of rifles that shouldnít be all that impressive. An RC K98k for example.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh yeah. Iíve been super impressed with the accuracy Iíve rung out of rifles that shouldnít be all that impressive. An RC K98k for example.
Hmm well I have a bag of once fired 8mm brass and a 1941 Portuguese crest model K98k I've never fired.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Speaking of 98 action Mausers, here's a couple imgur gifs of mine:

Wiggle Room

I suspect that my problem lies there.

Edit: every time I try to link to imgur I run into a new problem.

Mambo No. 5 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 21, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, that's not normal.

I'll double check with a few of my rifles tonight but it shouldn't move like that with the bolt closed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You know you have a German cocking shroud on that, right? You can see the WaA stamps in that video. I wonder if that's what's going on here, if your bolt has a strange mishmash of German parts in it that arent mating well with the Yugo. Yugo bolts are slightly different from the German ones.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

That's the new one I put on, the old Yugo one is a little longer but has a damaged corner on the sear face. At this point, I just want to figure out what's going on with it and hopefully fix it. It's a total mixmaster as far as serials go, so mixmastering some more won't hurt the thing. If I ever get rid of it, I'll try to remember to send the parts with it.

Edit: by shroud do you mean the piece that holds all of the firing pin stuff together and screws into the bolt? The big round piece that I'm pushing on in the gifs?

Mambo No. 5 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 21, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mambo No. 5 posted:

That's the new one I put on, the old Yugo one is a little longer but has a damaged corner on the sear face. At this point, I just want to figure out what's going on with it and hopefully fix it. It's a total mixmaster as far as serials go, so mixmastering some more won't hurt the thing. If I ever get rid of it, I'll try to remember to send the parts with it.

I thought you just replaced the cocking piece? As in this guy:

I'm talking about this fellow, the cocking piece shroud:

That's the bit that I saw the WaA stamps on. No idea if they're interchangeable between M48s and K98ks but it made me sit up and take notice.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I found a pdf from Brownell's that says Mexican 1910, 24, and 36 Mausers have interchangeable parts with 1924 Yugo Mausers. Unfortunately, Numrich, ebay, and google are failing me on replacements. Some other forums posters say that a variety of shrouds will screw into a lot of bolts though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, I'm just wondering if there's enough of a dimensional difference in the shroud that it's causing this. Like. . . . "will screw on and physically assemble" is a far distance from "will reliably work as designed."

I just went and thumbed a few K98ks and G98s and none of them do that.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

I just went and thumbed a few K98ks and G98s and none of them do that.

Let's be honest, you didn't need a reason to be doing that in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I was able to fondle a friend's k98 and that thing was rock solid. The friend was the one who thought Bubba might have done a number on the gun. Could have just been a poor attempt at a repair job, right? Hell, even Numrich sent me the wrong part.

Edit:

Fearless posted:

Let's be honest, you didn't need a reason to be doing that in the first place.

Lol

Mambo No. 5 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 22, 2020