Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I hit a full size IPSC plate at 1100y with one in March which is the best shot I've ever made. And I don't even own one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

MadBimber posted:

what are peoples' thoughts on swede mausers anyway? still a secret hotness?

I wish I hadn't sold my m/41b.

Crosspost:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

i was kinda looking between swiss k11/k31 and swedish mausers and having difficulty deciding which i'd rather have. a straight pull that isn't a piece of poo poo like my m95 would be cool but a swedish mauser might be cheaper and have more plentiful ammo.

mikerock posted:

I wish I hadn't sold my m/41b.

Crosspost:

nice lewis! have one of the massive 97 round pans?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I really was looking hard at a swedish straight pull but decided to focus on my jungle carbine instead for my first auction. One day I'll get a k11/31

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Singer M1911A1 up for sale on Gunbroker. Ive never set a search for one but this is the first one Ive seen up that I can recall

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868499566

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

goddamn the bluing on that, it practically looks like a mirror

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Its refinished too, although apparently in a good approximation of Singer's "Dulite" blue. The same store has a North American Arm M1911 up in tremendous shape and an early Colt Service Model Ace that is already going for nearly 5 grand. Plus a ton of SAAs. Must have pulled one hell of a collection into their stock recently.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The reserve infantry regiment in the city I used to live in found a Singer 1911 in their weapons vault that had been donated to the regiment by a former colonel. They sold it to fund renovations and improvements of the three messes in the armoury.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

MadBimber posted:

Yep. All the goodness of the mauser design, with a lower recoiling cartridge so you can shoot it all day.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

MadBimber posted:

Stop posting here and go buy one.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

I’ve been planning on buying a service grade or special grade CMP garand but guess I was too late because they’re out of both! How are the field grades? I’m mostly looking for something to shoot so if they are generally well kept but dinged up that’s what I’m about

Edit: got the grades mixed up

not black enough fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 4, 2020

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Super 3 posted:

Stop posting here and go buy one.

i spent all my fun money on other firearms though

i'll post em in a couple days!

also, something i don't think i've ever seen for sale, a tanegashima!
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/869173565

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

not black enough posted:

How are the field grades?

I got mine maybe seven or eight years ago, and the muzzle wear/throat erosion measurements were within the range they advertise for service grade. Honestly, I'm not sure why they graded mine as a field. Ymmv, but I was super pleased with mine.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

MadBimber posted:

also, something i don't think i've ever seen for sale, a tanegashima!

Seen a few on GB over the years, but didn't know enough to say if they were legit originals.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

As with many things I've had shipped lately, my m1 carbine has been in "in transit, arriving late" hell for a couple days. Goddammit I want my stupid rifle.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

MadBimber posted:

i spent all my fun money on other firearms though

i'll post em in a couple days!

what have we here?

a heel release

a mauser? From Oberndorf?

Yessiree, from back when men were men and triggers had nitride on them!

little crack in the grip on the right side, but otherwise pretty much spotless

small gun fits small man hands

artsy fartsy for you photographers

A Mauser pocket pistol model 1914, in .32ACP. I just picked up some ammo from a couple manufacturers from cheaper than dirt, we'll see how they feed. the gun is a bit top heavy and the spring is strong so I'd expect recoil to be light. Photos ended up bluer than they were on my phone so keep in mind the finish is not so lustrous, though the trigger does retain some of the nitre bluing. It's a fun little cutie

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

haha! Hey mauser pocket pistol buddy!

I've got one of the .25 ACP versions in a similar condition. They're fun little pistols.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

So I did end up buying that 91/30. But California doesn't want me to have the gun-bits yet, so here's the other bits.

From the research I did everything looks alright, and all the cosmoline is still in the bottle and not all over the package! Neat!
Regarding ammo - I'm looking at Sellier & Bellot, which I assume is good ammo from what I've seen? And the fact that it's like $0.60 is icing on the cake, coming from .30-30 and .30-06 that I mainly bought at in-person stores. Nice. Can't wait to shoot this (when the DOJ says I can).

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've got one of the .25 ACP versions in a similar condition. They're fun little pistols.

have you fired it much? For it's size it's a bit of a chonk but, 100 year old gun.. always a little concerning to shoot. I picked up some slightly hotter 1,000FPS ammo to see what that's like. The bore looks practically pristine.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anytime I hear about .25 ACP world war era pistols it makes me think of Vasily Blokhin. Ugh.

For reference - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Blokhin

A man who may have personally executed/murdered in excess of 15,000 people who used Walther 25 ACP pistols.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

MadBimber posted:

have you fired it much? For it's size it's a bit of a chonk but, 100 year old gun.. always a little concerning to shoot. I picked up some slightly hotter 1,000FPS ammo to see what that's like. The bore looks practically pristine.

Yeah, a bit. It's kinda snappy for .25 ACP but nothing crazy.

Captain Log posted:

Anytime I hear about .25 ACP world war era pistols it makes me think of Vasily Blokhin. Ugh.

For reference - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasily_Blokhin

A man who may have personally executed/murdered in excess of 15,000 people who used Walther 25 ACP pistols.

They were actually pre- and interwar designs, although I think they kept making them through at least the late 30s. They were designed to be what we would call pocket guns today. As a group they were actually colloquially known as "Taschenpistole" and some of the smaller ones were intentionally sized to be able to fit in a vest pocket. Same as the victorian era can swords (and guns) the basic idea was that if you were a gentleman about the town who was accosted in the street by a ruffian you could defend yourself, although from what I can tell they were actually far more popular with the sort of lower income office workers who might have to wear a suit to work but live in a sketchy neighborhood.

During the war the Germans only issued handguns to officers, vehicle crews, MPs, etc. but had no problem with your average grunt having a private weapon in his kit. Those ubiquitous pocket guns showed up a fair bit in that role, so a good number of them came home with GIs.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

My mind still recoils in horror at the thought of not only personally killing 15k people...with a .25 ACP. It's all I think about when I see guns chambered in that. I wouldn't feel safe using that round to put down anything bigger than a raccoon. Even that feels a little weak.

It's just my own little brain worm that refuses to leave.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/fsr.html

Swedish FSR m96s loving own. Dunno about the states but we get shipments here in Canada when shooting clubs get rid of them. They often come adorned with cool little plaques and are priced fairly cheap as they don't really appeal to military collectors.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Thermos posted:

Swedish FSR m96s loving own. Dunno about the states but we get shipments here in Canada when shooting clubs get rid of them. They often come adorned with cool little plaques and are priced fairly cheap as they don't really appeal to military collectors.

Dig these weird competition ones for sure. That said, I think the swede mauser is the ugliest of the mausers.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Thermos posted:

If I had maintained my Swede collection I would be drowning in these, but I went Swiss instead.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Captain Log posted:

My mind still recoils in horror at the thought of not only personally killing 15k people...with a .25 ACP. It's all I think about when I see guns chambered in that. I wouldn't feel safe using that round to put down anything bigger than a raccoon. Even that feels a little weak.

Thinking about the Eddie Izzard skit about Polpot from Dressed To Kill.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

They were designed to be what we would call pocket guns today. As a group they were actually colloquially known as "Taschenpistole" and some of the smaller ones were intentionally sized to be able to fit in a vest pocket.

I wondered where DICE got the name for BF1 since this pistol is part of the armory. I was very disappointed to learn the button on the left isn't a mag release but a safety. Heel releases are the worst

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Captain Log posted:

Keep in mind that .22LR has historically been a preferred cartridge for mob hits and assassinations. .25 ACP is comparable in power and more than enough to murder someone kneeling on the edge of a trench with their hands tied behind their back.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

DeesGrandpa posted:

I think the swede mauser is the ugliest of the mausers.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

... I think the swede mauser is the ugliest of the mausers.

You take that back

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah what the heck! The Turk Mauser looks way worse imo even in nice shape which they rarely seem to be.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Thinking of getting a yugo m48 from J&G sales. Anyone had any experience with them? Is 400 a decent price for it if its nonmatching or should I hunt a little more?

Edit: my interest in the m48 is getting a k98k without laying full german k98k prices so I'm assuming its a decent deal under that consideration

Stravag fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 6, 2020

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

You must get up very early.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Miso Beno posted:

You take that back

It's so boring and just aggressively plain. Such a (nice shooting) waste of an otherwise aesthetically pleasing platform.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Mods!?!?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

CYRANO???

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

One of the best stand up specials, ever.

I've always been in awe of how much info Eddie Izzard writes, then performs, while being loose enough to improv and interact with the crowd. Most rote memory comics suck at crowd work.

I saw him live in Nashville and the only other comic I ever saw live who did a similar length of prepared material was Robin Williams. Williams always got a bad rap as a comic. For an 80's and 70s comic, he was awesome. Mostly for his bit about being sober at parties with people drinking.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

Watching the forgotten weapons “Adventures in Surplus” series has made me really want to get in on the wooden action. The only old gun I have is my ONG 870 and I need more. Where do you guys look for good surplus buys?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

These days? Mostly Gunbroker. Keep an eye on the big importers for stuff coming in now and again but it’s been pretty thin for a long time. People usually mention it in this thread when someone gets something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

not black enough posted:

Watching the forgotten weapons “Adventures in Surplus” series has made me really want to get in on the wooden action. The only old gun I have is my ONG 870 and I need more. Where do you guys look for good surplus buys?

You could also check local pawn shops but the vast majority of what you'll find there will probably be in poor condition and/or sporterized. Or just not a good price. You might get lucky though. And if you just want a neat old gun that shoots good but isn't particularly collectible then there will probably be plenty of options.