Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

I kind of want to start looking for a Steyr M95. Talk me out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Miso Beno posted:

Imagine if a mosin and a k31 had a regrettable night of drunken unspeakableness in a country where abortion is illegal.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

my kinda ape posted:

You could also check local pawn shops but the vast majority of what you'll find there will probably be in poor condition and/or sporterized. Or just not a good price. You might get lucky though. And if you just want a neat old gun that shoots good but isn't particularly collectible then there will probably be plenty of options.

Cyrano4747 posted:

These days? Mostly Gunbroker. Keep an eye on the big importers for stuff coming in now and again but it’s been pretty thin for a long time. People usually mention it in this thread when someone gets something.

Makes me wish I would have bought surplus in the early 2000s when I started getting into guns. Well I should probably mail in my CMP form before they run out of garands.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

not black enough posted:

Watching the forgotten weapons “Adventures in Surplus” series has made me really want to get in on the wooden action. The only old gun I have is my ONG 870 and I need more. Where do you guys look for good surplus buys?

as previously mentioned, gunbroker and pawn shops. now that gunshows may start up again with shelter in place being lifted in some places, that's another option. additionally, gun shops themselves sometimes have good deals on surplus, though usually you aren't gonna get a deal.

Miso Beno posted:

imagine a mosin sticky bolt without any of the leverage of being able to turn the bolt. then imagine that every single shot. with hard to find clips that turn your gun into a single shot repeater if you don't have one.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Miso Beno posted:

If you're planning to shoot it, make sure you get a long rifle and not a carbine. Also make sure it's been updated to 8x56R because god help you if you somehow get an unconverted original like I did.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I remember one time I called the M95 the worst of the straight pulls and some goon Kramered in to white knight it.

WHERE IS THAT GOON NOW?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Straight pulls are lame too

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

DeesGrandpa posted:

Listen here bucko

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

MadBimber posted:

imagine a mosin sticky bolt without any of the leverage of being able to turn the bolt. then imagine that every single shot. with hard to find clips that turn your gun into a single shot repeater if you don't have one.
I mean i want another mosin even tho I have 3

Somebody Awful posted:

If you're planning to shoot it, make sure you get a long rifle and not a carbine. Also make sure it's been updated to 8x56R because god help you if you somehow get an unconverted original like I did.

I always prefer rifles to carbines but I am prone to bad ideas and the carbines are filthy cheap. Also, I have plenty of not-trash guns to shoot so beyond a few rounds it's just gonna be a thing I put in the back of the safe closet and forget about

Cyrano4747 posted:

Imagine if a mosin and a k31 had a regrettable night of drunken unspeakableness in a country where abortion is illegal.

I'm kinda into it. :giggity:

maybe I'll just go get something not loving stupid and find another Mas 36 to replace the one I stupidly sold.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

mikerock posted:

I remember one time I called the M95 the worst of the straight pulls and some goon Kramered in to white knight it.

I remember one time I called the Schmidt-Rubin 1889 a flawed design that had to be reworked in less than a decade and some goon had a fit because I dared question the immaculate genius of Swiss engineering.

It was all the more embarrassing because that goon's timeline of events was laughably wrong.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

hey man dont talk about me like that. I'm right here.

it wasn't me but I do love my 96/11

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

What was wrong with the 1889? I have a k11 already but I have been keeping my eyes open for one in good shape.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Somebody Awful posted:

I remember one time I called the Schmidt-Rubin 1889 a flawed design that had to be reworked in less than a decade and some goon had a fit because I dared question the immaculate genius of Swiss engineering.

It was all the more embarrassing because that goon's timeline of events was laughably wrong.

Was it Cippalippus? I seem to recall him ardently defending the honour of Switzerland for quite a while, and when someone referred to his country as a place where the streets are paved with golden Jewish dental fillings he lost his mind.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Thermos posted:

What was wrong with the 1889? I have a k11 already but I have been keeping my eyes open for one in good shape.

The 1889 put the locking lugs at the back of the bolt, which turned out to have strength issues. It was replaced by the 1896, which moved the lugs to the middle and generally worked better. Swiss rifles didn't get front locking lugs until the 1931 model but really anything from the 96/11 onward should be fine for shooting.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

DeesGrandpa posted:

you have bad opinions

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Speaking of those, is there an appreciable difference in the 1911 and the 96/11?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

96/11 is an 1896 updated to fire the GP11 cartridge. 1911 is a factory new rifle/carbine made for GP11. AFAIK you can tell them apart by serial range and some small details.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

The Steyr is without question the worst straight pull, but it is also an extremely interesting rifle historically.

Not to mention it makes a Mosin seem like a kitten for recoil.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Hey Cyrano, I think figured out what was wrong with the new mauser bolt shroud. The beginning of the threading isn't tapered, it just starts.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Somebody Awful posted:

96/11 is an 1896 updated to fire the GP11 cartridge. 1911 is a factory new rifle/carbine made for GP11. AFAIK you can tell them apart by serial range and some small details.

Ok, that's about what I've been able to surmise so far. I've been looking at buying one and just wanted to make sure since we were on the topic.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Hey Cyrano, I think figured out what was wrong with the new mauser bolt shroud. The beginning of the threading isn't tapered, it just starts.

Huh. So it sits proud a bit or something?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Prof. Banks posted:

Ok, that's about what I've been able to surmise so far. I've been looking at buying one and just wanted to make sure since we were on the topic.

Yeah they're effectively identical in function. There are like three differences between the two so if you care about any of those things then let that be the deciding factor but otherwise they're entirely interchangeable. One other thing is some people claim the 96/11s have a slightly better trigger but I don't know if that's true or not. My 96/11 does have a very nice trigger but I've never touched a 1911 to compare it with.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

mischief posted:

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. I have both an M38 and an M95 carbine, neither is particularly pleasant to shoot for long periods. Well I assume the M95 would be unpleasant for long periods but I've only once purchased its stupid 8x50R moon rounds.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Cyrano4747 posted:

Huh. So it sits proud a bit or something?

Nah, it won't thread into the bolt body correctly. I get maybe a quarter turn and it locks up. Thread pitch is the same, but it looks like the begging of the threads just starts like a sheared bolt rather than tapering up to the correct size. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

I swear if this one Ottoman Mauser is still for sale in a week I might seriously buy it.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

mischief posted:

The Steyr is without question the worst straight pull, but it is also an extremely interesting rifle historically.

Yeah, Im really more interested in its historical nature than actually shooting it.

I dug this out of the safe for the disparaging food chat so I thought I'd post a pit of it here for you guys.

Smith and Wesson Second Model Hand Ejector in .455 Eley/.45 Long Colt (recessed cylinder allows for firing both calibers unlike a shaved cylinder) with some trench art grips that Sixgun gave me years ago for my Smith and Wesson Model 1917.

All I need is a Webley and I'll be Indiana Jones.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

CMP is running out of Garands. I hope they still have one next year for my annual purchase.

Do they assemble special grades when they have excess capacity?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

M95s are very fun. I have a long rifle, carbine, and a Yugo M95M. I've never experienced any sticky bolt stuff that's worse than similar surplus rifles. They're a great, weird addition to a collection.

Get clips. SGammo still has new-production 8x56mmR in stock, too.

DrPop fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 7, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Mambo No. 5 posted:

CMP is running out of Garands. I hope they still have one next year for my annual purchase.

Do they assemble special grades when they have excess capacity?

Yep. I'm debating getting one of the last of the field grades, I mean I can't imagine that'll be a bad choice and I do kinda want a second garand (really should have jumped on one of those rack grade "Specials" for a second shooter). The CMP says they're going to re-stock after backorders are filled, but I can't imagine they're swimming in them at this point, so if you've been ignoring one of the best deals in milsurp for the last decade you should probably get on it.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

not black enough posted:

Watching the forgotten weapons “Adventures in Surplus” series has made me really want to get in on the wooden action. The only old gun I have is my ONG 870 and I need more. Where do you guys look for good surplus buys?

You’re 15 years too late.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

NickBlasta posted:

Nah he can still get in on the tail end of CMP garands!

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

NickBlasta posted:

DeesGrandpa posted:

Nah he can still get in on the tail end of CMP garands!

Time to send this form. I really wish they did online orders

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Check this out. New shroud on the right.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Huh. You said the pitch is right? Wonder if you could turn off the first few threads to make it work.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

DrPop posted:

M95s are very fun. I have a long rifle, carbine, and a Yugo M95M. I've never experienced any sticky bolt stuff that's worse than similar surplus rifles. They're a great, weird addition to a collection.

Get clips. SGammo still has new-production 8x56mmR in stock, too.

I've got a whole box of stripper clips if anyone needs some.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Cyrano4747 posted:

Huh. You said the pitch is right? Wonder if you could turn off the first few threads to make it work.

I was thinking of filing the first thread down to get it closer to that taper. I have a friend that is a machinist that I might talk to about it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

That thread on the right has been convoluted, which is weird because you usually only see that on ACME threads. If I had to guess, it's because it was easier for them to just machine that thread all the way down the diameter and then remove (convolute) the first 1/2 a thread instead of turning the front of the thread down to the minor diameter for like 0.100" like the one on the left.

I don't think that'd be the reason it doesn't go on though -it may be because of all the nicks and dings on the threads that it won't screw on. See that ding right on the top of the thread, maybe 0.075" into the thread? That'd be something that'd bugger it, and I see another further down. So that thread is probably just buggered up from being dropped too many times, had tools placed on it, whatever. If it was a normal thread then you could buy thread files, but that doesn't look like a standard thread size so you might be SOL there.

I say get a file and some sandpaper and veeeeeery carefully remove all the nicks and dings. Bonus points if you have a benchtop polisher you can put some scotch-brite type wheel on with which to knock burrs off and polish down those dings. So long as the thing you're screwing it into isn't buggered, that might just fix it.

Source: Am machinist.

E: just remembered what those threads are called, they're buttress threads. I've never really worked on any before, so I don't know if they make files for them or anything. I do know that any nicks and dings on a thread will bugger it though, regardless of type. Work on those dings and you might just be able to fix it.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 7, 2020

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hasn't it been the tail end of CMP garands for 20 years?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Miso Beno posted:

Hasn't it been the tail end of CMP garands for 20 years?

Hey we got to the end of mosins somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wasn't that due to sanctions against Russia and Eastern European countries holding onto their remaining military stocks because of that whole Crimean invasion?