Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Just picked up this bubba'd Norwegian Krag. Some dingus removed the rear sight and tapped it for a scope. Luckily I was able to locate a sight, it should be here shortly. Can't wait to try it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Hello another rifle that I'm having a craving for based purely off playing too much RDR2

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

Krags are fun, just sucks that most got bubba'ed and you might pick one up with moon ammo reqs

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

These days when I read "moon ammo" I just fill in "cheaper gun."

Give me all the hosed up obscure calibers.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Clapping Larry

Cyrano4747 posted:

These days when I read "moon ammo" I just fill in "cheaper gun."

Give me all the hosed up obscure calibers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'll take two.

Seriously, once you've ground rims on an improvised lathe to create your own brass that poo poo holds no fear.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Clapping Larry

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll take two.

Seriously, once you've ground rims on an improvised lathe to create your own brass that poo poo holds no fear.

I've got the brass, just need space for a reloading setup

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Get a thighmaster. Itís not ideal but itís a real deal reloading setup and any dies etc you buy for it can be used on a press when you get one later. Fits in a toolbox when not in use. Not a great solution if you need 500 rounds of 5.56 for a class but works fine for cranking out a dozen or a hundred for a range trip with a milsurp gun you shoot a few times a year.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Krags are fun, just sucks that most got bubba'ed and you might pick one up with moon ammo reqs

Yeah I'm kinda over buying bubba'd guns at this point, but it was $250 and I'm already reloading for 6.5x55 so I figured what the hell.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Clapping Larry

Cyrano4747 posted:

Get a thighmaster. Itís not ideal but itís a real deal reloading setup and any dies etc you buy for it can be used on a press when you get one later. Fits in a toolbox when not in use. Not a great solution if you need 500 rounds of 5.56 for a class but works fine for cranking out a dozen or a hundred for a range trip with a milsurp gun you shoot a few times a year.

No, like, i dont even have space to buy powder and store that somewhere. Thats how limited I am at the moment. loving sucks rear end.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

A one pound jug is seriously the size of a small milk carton. Like the one quart ones cream comes in.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Is that the dangerous explodey Nambu?

Cyrano4747 posted:

I have poo-poo'd this idea in the past as I have a large frame press sitting in a box of reloading goodies, but no real space to set up a reloading bench. I am seriously thinking about getting a Thigh-master for small batches of .303 and whatnot-- tossing an entire reloading setup into a tool box is mighty tempting.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 22, 2020

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Fearless posted:

Yes. It lives in the safe next to the dangerous explodey Carcano, the never-fired, only-dropped-once Berthier, and the sniper Garand that killed Hitler.

That's a Type 14. You're probably thinking of the Type 94, although it isn't explodey, just ugly as sin.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Somebody Awful posted:

Yes. It lives in the safe next to the dangerous explodey Carcano, the never-fired, only-dropped-once Berthier, and the sniper Garand that killed Hitler.

That's a Type 14. You're probably thinking of the Type 94, although it isn't explodey, just ugly as sin.

Yes, I am thinking of the 94-- which is more unsafe and prone to ADs than explodey. It's been a while since I took a look at them, so thank you for clarifying that for me.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Fearless posted:

I have poo-poo'd this idea in the past as I have a large frame press sitting in a box of reloading goodies, but no real space to set up a reloading bench. I am seriously thinking about getting a Thigh-master for small batches of .303 and whatnot-- tossing an entire reloading setup into a tool box is mighty tempting.

Seriously, just get a thighmaster. My entire reloading setup sans powder fits in a 12"x12"x18" box in my closet. If I want to make up some rounds I pull it out, move my keyboard out of the way, and just work at my desk.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Thighmaster? Tell me more!

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

I should probably just get a thighmaster. I've been humming and hawing about how I could mount a press for a while now, but I do mainly just want it for moon ammo purposes, and couldn't really care about efficiently pumping out 200 rounds of 9mm or whatever.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just need to move somewhere that I have room to store powder someplace more than 5 feet (granted through a wall) from my head while I sleep.

I mean I guess I could put it in the crawlspace if I could find a waterproof box that wouldn't be a pipe bomb, but then I risk blowing up the supports holding up half the house.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just need to move somewhere that I have room to store powder someplace more than 5 feet (granted through a wall) from my head while I sleep.

I mean I guess I could put it in the crawlspace if I could find a waterproof box that wouldn't be a pipe bomb, but then I risk blowing up the supports holding up half the house.

Smokeless powder is a fire risk far more than an explosion risk. I just keep mine under the desk I reload at.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

mikerock posted:

Thighmaster? Tell me more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2u6Zb6VFR4

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

My first Garand just shipped from the CMP today! Ordered a special grade, excited to see it when it comes in. Less than a month turnaround, I'm surprised.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hell yeah, if I had to choose between my most fun guns it'd be a toss up between the M1s (garand and carbine). Everyone loves both, but I think the ping pushes the garand over the edge.

Pictured, a person enjoying an M1.

DeesGrandpa fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 23, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Double posting, but apparently CMP still has $650 field grade garands. Looks like the beater dream will be a reality!

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but having grown up playing the deluge of 90s/2000s WW2 shooters, I always thought "M1, whatever, what I really want is an SVT-40 " (still do want one!) and I'd read for many years on TFR that the carbine is "fun on a bun!". Then I went out plinking with a coworker and requested he bring both his M1s... I liked the carbine but didn't think it was amazing, but when I tried the Garand I immediately thought, "holy poo poo this thing is slick as hell and I must get one!"

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

So I got a new to me, used 1917 follower to replace my bubba'd one. The follower's a little sticky at the top, should I look into sanding/filing the edges for a smoother fit?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I love shooting my Garand because ejecting that .30-06 feels like I'm tossing a beer can over my shoulder with every shot.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

TheAsterite posted:

So I got a new to me, used 1917 follower to replace my bubba'd one. The follower's a little sticky at the top, should I look into sanding/filing the edges for a smoother fit?

Iíd make sure everything is clean. Look for any grime or gunk inside the mag body. If it feeds fine leave it. Sometimes things feel rough when youíre thumbing them but work fine with a load.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

https://www.gunpost.ca/firearms/rifles/annapolis-valley/ljundman-65x55

Never seen a Ljundman before.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I was about to say good price on it then I saw the wood. Oof.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I think I've been to the gun store where that is being sold from.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was about to say good price on it then I saw the wood. Oof.

I kinda wish they went for dat full stock look when sporterizing that thing. Would have been way better.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Azuren posted:

My first Garand just shipped from the CMP today! Ordered a special grade, excited to see it when it comes in. Less than a month turnaround, I'm surprised.

When did you order?

DeesGrandpa posted:

Double posting, but apparently CMP still has $650 field grade garands. Looks like the beater dream will be a reality!

Hell yeah! Or get a beater with a brand new barrel for the same price! Look for RM1SPECIALRACK. Also, I see they have Winchesters with a new barrel for $50 more and I kinda want to see of they'll let me upgrade.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Miso Beno posted:

I kinda wish they went for dat full stock look when sporterizing that thing. Would have been way better.

I just donít understand only cutting the front off guns with full length gas systems like that. Iíve seen it done to SVTs and G43s too. Like . . . How does exposed gas system bits say ďlooks better?Ē It sure as poo poo isnít free floating anything.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

There is a whole lot chopped off that thing.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Kramjacks posted:

There is a whole lot chopped off that thing.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

I just donít understand only cutting the front off guns with full length gas systems like that. Iíve seen it done to SVTs and G43s too. Like . . . How does exposed gas system bits say ďlooks better?Ē It sure as poo poo isnít free floating anything.

One of these days I should get pictures of my bubba'd Vetterli with three inches of brass mag tube sticking out of its chopped down stock. The poor thing.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

3rd milsurp so far, an 8mm Yugo m24/52c, which I think is a Yugo reworked vz24. Bolt is really smooth, with a fair amount of wobble when fully to the rear, but the lockup is good.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Bolt wobble when it's all the way back isn't unusual. It's only being held in place on one side by the bolt stop.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Somebody Awful posted:

Bolt wobble when it's all the way back isn't unusual. It's only being held in place on one side by the bolt stop.

That's pretty typical for almost all milsurp bolt actions isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty

I dont have a c&r and im too lazy to deal with CMP nonsense, but my local gunshop has a decent fairly noncrusty Garand for $1000. Is this an acceptable rate for lazy impacient people? If i had to grade it it would probably be CMP non-crust grade or NRA very non-crust.