Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

darnon posted:

I did snag a Remington Mosin Nagant that I'm just waiting for my FFL to process.

oooo lets see it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

flightless greeb posted:

Nice! Got any pics of the rifles?

Here are the two military guns. Top one was de-sportered. The barrel was cut down so I made it into the experimental carbine version they talk about in the C&Rsenal video.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

V Nice. Any unit markings on the original one?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Taking an opportunity to share this again:

https://imgur.com/gallery/TcHqrIh

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

mikerock posted:

Taking an opportunity to share this again:

https://imgur.com/gallery/TcHqrIh

Forgot to include the soldier's eye behind the bolt.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

mikerock posted:

V Nice. Any unit markings on the original one?

The only markings besides the serial I was able to find are JF 770 and ETD 585. I wasn't able to find what they mean, but it's a DP stock. The receiver is stamped CRB, no idea how or when it ended up in this stock.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thermos posted:

Here are the two military guns. Top one was de-sportered. The barrel was cut down so I made it into the experimental carbine version they talk about in the C&Rsenal video.

Did you get the de-sportered one done by that fellow in Alberta?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

this still hasn't sold or and received only a single bid. I'm a bit suspicious from the bad pics but hey, cheap mauser. m/m bolt but otherwise looks pretty nice?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Yeah. If you can get that for anything like what itís at now itís a steal.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Fearless posted:

Did you get the de-sportered one done by that fellow in Alberta?

Yep! He sent me an unfinished stock and had to do a lot of sanding and some inletting as well as chopping the end down (a bit nerve-wracking). I think he might have partnered with the guy making the bands to sell finished stocks through https://rossriflerestoration.com/

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah. If you can get that for anything like what itís at now itís a steal.

Holy poo poo it closed at $232. Heck of a deal.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

Thermos posted:

Yep! He sent me an unfinished stock and had to do a lot of sanding and some inletting as well as chopping the end down (a bit nerve-wracking). I think he might have partnered with the guy making the bands to sell finished stocks through https://rossriflerestoration.com/

$600 for a new stock is butts and i hope they drop their prices at some point

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Jobbo_Fett posted:

$600 for a new stock is butts and i hope they drop their prices at some point

Me too. I actually looked into getting a stock duplicator but I have too much poo poo on the go right now.

I think my plan for a MK 2 Ross will be to try and find a sporterized one with an unfucked barrel and stock that's intact up to the first barrel band, then fabricate a new fore-end.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

600cad for a low volume thing like that seems about right honestly

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Yeah volume is aways the key.

I just spent $60 on 20 pieces of obsolete brass.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

When I spoke to the guy on the phone he said he has a full-time job that keeps him pretty busy. This is just a side project/labour of love for him, so I certainly can't fault him for making it worth his while. Especially when no other alternatives exist at present.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Clapping Larry

I'm not saying I don't get it but when that's a third of the price of a military-condition Ross thats mostly unfucked...

If it was $300 I'd be seriously considering it to fix up my Ross.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm not saying I don't get it but when that's a third of the price of a military-condition Ross thats mostly unfucked...

If it was $300 I'd be seriously considering it to fix up my Ross.

Sure but whatís a sportered ross cost up there? If the total price of the sportered gun plus restoration is 2/3rds the cost of an unfucked gun it still makes sense.

You see this a lot with G/K43s. A replacement stock for those is cheaper - I think like $300 or 400 - because some dude in Poland is making them but still pricey. Still, when a bolt mismatch gun in original wood costs $2500 itís really tempting to get that one with the hosed up stock for $1500 and proceed from there.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Clapping Larry

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure but whatís a sportered ross cost up there? If the total price of the sportered gun plus restoration is 2/3rds the cost of an unfucked gun it still makes sense.

You see this a lot with G/K43s. A replacement stock for those is cheaper - I think like $300 or 400 - because some dude in Poland is making them but still pricey. Still, when a bolt mismatch gun in original wood costs $2500 itís really tempting to get that one with the hosed up stock for $1500 and proceed from there.

hosed Rosses I've seen go for as low as $400 but I don't think thats anywhere near common.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

With full military Rosses going for 2 grand+ in Canada right now, restoring sporters starts to make more sense. The main challenge is finding sporters with uncut barrels that aren't all shot out.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

And if only 303 ammo existed for a reasonable price.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Clapping Larry

Thermos posted:

With full military Rosses going for 2 grand+ in Canada right now, restoring sporters starts to make more sense. The main challenge is finding sporters with uncut barrels that aren't all shot out.

I think mine has a shortened barrel, I'd have to double-check. Strong rifling last I recall though so there's that...

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

$600 for that stock set isn't bad given that you just do not find the originals anymore. SMLEs are getting the same way if you want to repair or restore a rifle-- you're going to pay as much or more for original wood (which will undoubtedly have a fuckload of issues, especially the upper guards) as you will for a repro set.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly hosed old wood is such a bear to deal with that unless I had a solid line on really good original wood Iíd prefer the repro. Half the time when you get take off wood there are larger issues that reflect why itís not part of a gun anymore.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly hosed old wood is such a bear to deal with that unless I had a solid line on really good original wood Iíd prefer the repro. Half the time when you get take off wood there are larger issues that reflect why itís not part of a gun anymore.

Yep. And after reading into how SMLEs stock up, I'm glad I had fresh wood to work with. It was a lot of work, but I enjoyed it quite a bit and eventually I intend to restore a Ross.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Clapping Larry

I wouldnt want to buy old wood anyways, id just prefer to pay not-600 dollars

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Pulled the trigger on it and got it today, seems pretty interesting with just a basic thumb-through today.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Fearless posted:

$600 for that stock set isn't bad given that you just do not find the originals anymore. SMLEs are getting the same way if you want to repair or restore a rifle-- you're going to pay as much or more for original wood (which will undoubtedly have a fuckload of issues, especially the upper guards) as you will for a repro set.

Something to keep in mind for Lee Enfield/SMLE/No. 4 or any member of the Ultimate Modern Weapon System family is that we still have a reasonable heap of whole rifles and parts in the UK that appear here and there - I know my school was equipped with a large number as well as our .22 target rifles (mostly Anschutz) and the L85 cadet rifles, and it turned out the school rather than the Cadet Force owned a lot.

If you look on UK eBay you can often find Lee Enfield wood, although usually itís not well describe so you have to know what youíre looking at, and I donít know how the law is overseas regarding import of non-firearm gun parts, or how our export law is.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I donít know about UK export law or Canadian import law but I can say that the US doesnít give a gently caress about the import of parts that arenít either a receiver or barrel.

That said increasingly countries that donít need the money just wood chipper them.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

So I guess the CMP is back open for business since I just got a call to buy a 1911 from them. Not sure if this is from a second disbursement or if they're still working thru their initial one.

For reference my lottery number was 13840. They had all three grades available and I went with the shittiest rack grade in hopes that it won't be media blasted and newly reparked by ANAND since I don't like that look. Also bc I'm broke right now but heck if I'm passing up the opportunity lol

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Really should have put an order in. I didnít at the time because I didnít have the cash and was looking at moving to a different state soonish but drat I didnít think theyíd still be going through them this far out.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

flightless greeb posted:

So I guess the CMP is back open for business since I just got a call to buy a 1911 from them. Not sure if this is from a second disbursement or if they're still working thru their initial one.

For reference my lottery number was 13840. They had all three grades available and I went with the shittiest rack grade in hopes that it won't be media blasted and newly reparked by ANAND since I don't like that look. Also bc I'm broke right now but heck if I'm passing up the opportunity lol

Yeah thats rad. My ffl is in line soon and if he gets it he doesn't think he actually wants one, so I told him poo poo just go for the cheapest option available and ill take it. Worst case there's no way you'll lose money if you hate it and decide to sell it. Basically, if anyone gets the call and can float the 1k just go for it.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I bought my first cmp 1911 second hand. I dug it, but it had a 70s colt slide on it so didn't quite have the ww2 cred, and it was in loving great shape so I was nervous about really giving it a lot of use. I'd love to gamble on a lower grade one to see if I can get a correctish beater, but if I can't im sure I'm going to have to get ready to drop $1500 or so eventually for a lower end correct ww2 1911a1 once that bug bites me next time.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Yeah there's no telling what you will get no matter what the grade. Which is the fun of milsurp collecting but also the disappointment sometimes. Maybe the worst grade gets you a non rearsenal or maybe it gets you the most sandblasted one. I don't believe the CMP's grading on these has matched what they officially published.

I thought they got 16k guns in the first batch but that's going from memory. You should be able to find articles about it. It was written into the law as I recall.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

MadBimber posted:

oooo lets see it!

Little bit mutted up since those crafty Finns got their mitts on it so it has a non-original stock and some other parts swapped. Bolt is either force matched or they scrubbed the Remington mark. [SA] mark and some other Finn markings.

Also seizes the crown of longest rifle in my collection by a few inches on my Turk Mauser. The Mosin trio including a 1944 Finn M39 built on a 1895 receiver. Despite being 5" shorter it's actually a touch heavier with its thicc free float barrel stock.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Oh man, I'm getting the urge to add a 91 back to my collection. What's the going rate on a Finn Capture M91?

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

darnon posted:

Little bit mutted up since those crafty Finns got their mitts on it so it has a non-original stock and some other parts swapped. Bolt is either force matched or they scrubbed the Remington mark. [SA] mark and some other Finn markings.

Also seizes the crown of longest rifle in my collection by a few inches on my Turk Mauser. The Mosin trio including a 1944 Finn M39 built on a 1895 receiver. Despite being 5" shorter it's actually a touch heavier with its thicc free float barrel stock.

That stock looks like a Soviet post-war 91/30 stock, so unfortunately it was likely put on stateside.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

darnon posted:

Man I need to get around to box threading my new longest rifle.

Makes my Turk Mauser look like a petite little thing.

Miso Beno posted:

Oh man, I'm getting the urge to add a 91 back to my collection. What's the going rate on a Finn Capture M91?

Super from the hip bullshit ballpark? $750ish. Plus or minus if itís got a basic bitch rollmark or some crazy poo poo collectors go nuts for, plus or minus for condition.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

I got mine for $350 last year, but glancing at gunbroker currently it seems like slim pickings that start at $500.

Here's a decent looking Westinghouse M91 for $745 with zero bids and 22 hours left.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/863106727

EDIT: Also heres a handsome 1897 dated finn M91
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871229471

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ok, FFLs in my area are accepting transfers again. Lemme finally print that CMP Garand form...

Field grade is whatever. I'm not looking for match rifle. Or one that's not quite all original.

I just want pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew ping