Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Miso Beno posted:

What's the going rate on a Finn Capture M91?

$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

darnon posted:

Little bit mutted up since those crafty Finns got their mitts on it so it has a non-original stock and some other parts swapped. Bolt is either force matched or they scrubbed the Remington mark. [SA] mark and some other Finn markings.

fffffff

The blueing on that is too good. That thing deserves an artic birch stock, too. Out of morbid curiosity how much did it run you? I'd love to get my hands on a Finn'd m91 Westinghouse or Remington.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

$660 which actually is a fair bit higher than it was sold in a non-paying auction previous, but it was sort of an impulse buy for a US contract Mosin after getting a good deal on the RDB-C. The bluing is a bit more worn towards the muzzle, but then my standards may be a bit high since the M44 and M39 are perfect being post-war jobs.

Edit: Speaking of cool US contract Mosins there's a 1918 Remington with the 5 dot markings of a Spanish Civil War rifle https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868997440

darnon fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 17, 2020

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Miso Beno posted:

What's the going rate on a Finn Capture M91?

The 1898/1940 AZF marked one I picked up a few months ago was before shipping. Ended with 15 bids total, buy now price was $525.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Action-Bastard posted:

I got mine for $350 last year, but glancing at gunbroker currently it seems like slim pickings that start at $500.

Here's a decent looking Westinghouse M91 for $745 with zero bids and 22 hours left.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/863106727

EDIT: Also heres a handsome 1897 dated finn M91
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871229471

oh poo poo yeah i mnight throw a bid at that 1897. it scratches a lot of itches

Somebody Awful posted:

The 1898/1940 AZF marked one I picked up a few months ago was before shipping. Ended with 15 bids total, buy now price was $525.

Thats within the ballpark of my comfort zone since it scratches WWI and Finn Capture itches. Alternatively, I'd go for a good PU Sniper repo but I know thems are $$$

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Action-Bastard posted:

I got mine for $350 last year, but glancing at gunbroker currently it seems like slim pickings that start at $500.

Here's a decent looking Westinghouse M91 for $745 with zero bids and 22 hours left.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/863106727

EDIT: Also heres a handsome 1897 dated finn M91
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871229471

stop i just bought more than one gun I CANT KEEP BUYING

darnon posted:

Little bit mutted up since those crafty Finns got their mitts on it so it has a non-original stock and some other parts swapped. Bolt is either force matched or they scrubbed the Remington mark. [SA] mark and some other Finn markings.

Also seizes the crown of longest rifle in my collection by a few inches on my Turk Mauser. The Mosin trio including a 1944 Finn M39 built on a 1895 receiver. Despite being 5" shorter it's actually a touch heavier with its thicc free float barrel stock.

that's a lovely little collection, thanks for posting it. shame about the stock I supposed but it fits in with the other two. I'd be happy with it

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

HEY CYRANO BUY THIS GUN

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Man I really do need to start opening up my foreign contract stuff.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Picked up a Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1 almost a month ago and it finally arrived after being held up for a couple of weeks by Canada Post's delivery system groaning under the weight of Christmas package volume being sustained over the course of almost four months. These have come up in price quite substantially over the past few years and I think the recent changes to Canadian gun laws have also spooked quite a few people into seeking them out as well. Plus, as Cyrano has said before, "they're not making any more of them" so when a rather nice mid-war production example came available I decided to pull the trigger. The rifle is all-matching and was made at Fazakerley in June of 1943 and it shows-- there are plenty of tool marks visible on the receiver, but even so the bolt runs buttery smooth. There are the expected nicks and dings in the wood, but overall the stock is in very good shape with the grain still showing clearly though the darkened oil finish.

In addition to this, I also made a point a while back of finding a bayonet for my Snider Enfield Mk II**. I've got the line infantry version, and with the bayonet fixed, it is nearly as long as I am tall.

So now I am fully capable of defending the homestead against the Fenian Brotherhood!

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

whats the deal with the star of david? spent time in israel?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

No connection with Israel at all, it's just a proof mark that was put on these rifles by both Ludwig Loewe and Mauser. People have claimed a connection to the Loewe family being Jewish but I don't think it's ever been proven.

A similar mark was applied to some of the Ottoman Mausers and Loewe never made any of those so

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

interesting! I'd never seen it before, that's cool

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Fearless posted:

Picked up a Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1 almost a month ago and it finally arrived after being held up for a couple of weeks by Canada Post's delivery system groaning under the weight of Christmas package volume being sustained over the course of almost four months. These have come up in price quite substantially over the past few years and I think the recent changes to Canadian gun laws have also spooked quite a few people into seeking them out as well. Plus, as Cyrano has said before, "they're not making any more of them" so when a rather nice mid-war production example came available I decided to pull the trigger. The rifle is all-matching and was made at Fazakerley in June of 1943 and it shows-- there are plenty of tool marks visible on the receiver, but even so the bolt runs buttery smooth. There are the expected nicks and dings in the wood, but overall the stock is in very good shape with the grain still showing clearly though the darkened oil finish.

In addition to this, I also made a point a while back of finding a bayonet for my Snider Enfield Mk II**. I've got the line infantry version, and with the bayonet fixed, it is nearly as long as I am tall.

So now I am fully capable of defending the homestead against the Fenian Brotherhood!

lol I actually reenacted a Fenian Raid in 2016 for the 150th of the Battle of Ridgeway

The reason so many Fenians were apprehended on the Canadian side of the border was due to having to declare black powder at customs.

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

"Tell me of your home world, Usul"

I wish that Australian company that made Lee-Enfield repros in 7.62x39 hadnít gone under. That would be such a fun shooter.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

McNally posted:

lol I actually reenacted a Fenian Raid in 2016 for the 150th of the Battle of Ridgeway

The reason so many Fenians were apprehended on the Canadian side of the border was due to having to declare black powder at customs.

Those early Fenian raids were the main reason that Canada adopted the Snider so early on. That they were retained in some militia units until 1905 is entirely our fault, however.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

not c&r but got my mak from aimsurplus finally

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Picking up my yugo m48 tomorrow hurray! Also i will try to post pics of my sporterized enfield so you guys can tell me wtf is going on with all the marks on it

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Stravag posted:

Picking up my yugo m48 tomorrow hurray! Also i will try to post pics of my sporterized enfield so you guys can tell me wtf is going on with all the marks on it

Do you know off hand if it is a No.1 Mk. III (aka, SMLE) or a No. 4 of some stripe?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It has...an utterly insane amount of markings on it including a no3m1* or maybe that's no3m1* (i haven't played with it in a while) if memory serves. It has like 5 model stamps

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Fearless posted:

Picked up a Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1

loving excellent.

For Canucks, there's a solid auction this Saturday.

I've got my eye on a Radom Vis 35 or Mexican Mauser. Tons of other poo poo bookmarked but the prices are reeeeeeally getting up there before live bidding has even started.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

everything is so cheap

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

MadBimber posted:

everything is so cheap

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The only cheap stuff there is prohib poo poo, which 99% of Canadian gun owners can't buy.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

loving excellent.

For Canucks, there's a solid auction this Saturday.

I've got my eye on a Radom Vis 35 or Mexican Mauser. Tons of other poo poo bookmarked but the prices are reeeeeeally getting up there before live bidding has even started.

I've been keeping an eye out in that series of auctions for a few accessories; I feel like I am done with buying more firearms right now unless there is something really good and interesting that catches my eye and is a really good price. I want to shoot what I have a bit first.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The only cheap stuff there is prohib poo poo, which 99% of Canadian gun owners can't buy.

Also it will all go up, plus buyer's premium!

Edit: If this stays sub $600 it's worth it:
https://www.icollector.com/WEBLEY-MODEL-MARK-VI-CALIBER-455-REV_i37454650

Same, if bore is excellent as they claim.
https://www.icollector.com/WWI-ERA-WEBLEY-MODEL-MKVI-CALIBER-455-REVOLVER_i37466207S

Collectible guns are going to be going for 1K plus these days.

mikerock fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 18, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Ok so here is the sporter in all its abusedness. I bought it for like 100-150 to have as a shooter so I wouldnt abuse the jungle carbine I got from RIA

It has definately had some violence visited upon it by whoever sportered it. Cant see the markings well in the phone aps preview so just have all the markings. I know the .303 and 2222 are caliber and loading info.

Not sure why the safety has a III on it

As a pallette cleanser, have a intact matching jungle carbine

No idea why all the images are upside down THANKS PHONE AP

Stravag fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 18, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Clapping Larry

mikerock posted:

https://www.icollector.com/WWI-ERA-WEBLEY-MODEL-MKVI-CALIBER-455-REVOLVER_i37466207S

Any WW2 rifle in that collection that sells for less than $600 is a good deal.

None of them will sell for less than $600

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Alright, quick update on my CMP fun times. I talked with my neighbor who I've gone shooting with before. Turns out he is a range safety officer at a private club so he just signed the forms for me. That was....much dumber than I expected.

I called the CMP and have an appointment at one of their stores July 2nd (it's like a 5 hour round trip, but I can leave with a rifle same day + I can pick it).

This is my first Milsurp, what should I really be looking for to pick one out? Crown wear?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Clapping Larry

mikerock posted:

Checked the list a little again and I feel like:

https://www.icollector.com/MAUSER-MODEL-C96-STANDARD-BROOMHANDLE-CALIBER-7-63-MAUSER_i37454646

Edit: Oh my god someone scratched their initials in the frame on both sides

If that goes for below 1.6k its a steal. Extreme resell value provided you don't gently caress with it.

https://www.icollector.com/TOKAREV-MODEL-TT33-CALIBER-7-62-X-25-TOKAREV_i37466208
https://www.icollector.com/TOKAREV-MODEL-TT33-CALIBER-7-62-X-25-TOKAREV_i37466209

Tok's aren't necessarily special, but I'd say below 600 is good, considering they come with a holster, are matching, and '39/'41 production.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Alright, quick update on my CMP fun times. I talked with my neighbor who I've gone shooting with before. Turns out he is a range safety officer at a private club so he just signed the forms for me. That was....much dumber than I expected.

I called the CMP and have an appointment at one of their stores July 2nd (it's like a 5 hour round trip, but I can leave with a rifle same day + I can pick it).

This is my first Milsurp, what should I really be looking for to pick one out? Crown wear?

Beyond jealous of you, id love to get to do that. Yeah, if the crown or bore is obviously hosed steer clear, but the CMP is good about that. Since you're there in person I'd focus on serial ranges and manufacturers you like, as well as GI wood and the overall finish condition.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Stravag posted:

Ok so here is the sporter in all its abusedness. I bought it for like 100-150 to have as a shooter so I wouldnt abuse the jungle carbine I got from RIA

It has definately had some violence visited upon it by whoever sportered it. Cant see the markings well in the phone aps preview so just have all the markings. I know the .303 and 2222 are caliber and loading info.

Not sure why the safety has a III on it

As a pallette cleanser, have a intact matching jungle carbine

No idea why all the images are upside down THANKS PHONE AP

The British made the SMLE (though after the mid 20s, the Rifle, No. 1 Mk. III) up until the No. 4 was put into production in 1941. Yours is probably a very, very late production No. 1 Mk III*, which omits the volley sight and magazine cutoff of the earlier pattern. I'd hazard a guess at it being BSA made; the machining on yours appears to be remarkably crude and speaks to the extent to which the British had to very, very rapidly ramp up small arms production output in the early part of the war to compensate for losses incurred at Dunkirk and to supply its army as it mobilized. I'm given to understand that BSA shortened its stamp to simply a B on the wrist of the rifle towards the end of production. SMLEs have a light barrel that is very flexible and which tends to wobble on firing unless those vibrations are dampened by the stock. As a result, complete SMLEs have a remarkably complex full stock and muzzlecap that are all important tools for stabilizing the barrel and improving the accuracy of the rifle. If you were to find all the parts, it looks like yours could be restored to its original configuration, but that's up to you.

Even chopped down into a sporting rifle, SMLEs are fully capable of being decent enough hunting rifles. Whole lotta deer, moose and bear have been harvested by rifles like that in Canada.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 18, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Ok i was trying to figure out why the hell the date stamp was all messed up and not aligned welland almost looked like it said 1840 when that was an impossible year for it. I also hadn't thought they were using 6 pointed stars for the star but v0v

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Stravag posted:

Ok i was trying to figure out why the hell the date stamp was all messed up and not aligned welland almost looked like it said 1840 when that was an impossible year for it. I also hadn't thought they were using 6 pointed stars for the star but v0v

Earlier versions of the star look like an asterisk, but as I understand there are variants. The BNP stamps indicate that the rifle was proofed in Britain, and thus at the very least likely mean it is British-made.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fearless posted:

Earlier versions of the star look like an asterisk, but as I understand there are variants. The BNP stamps indicate that the rifle was proofed in Britain, and thus at the very least likely mean it is British-made.

The BNP, or Birmingham Nitro Proof indicates the gun proof tested at the Birmingham Proof House and was legally sold, or at least imported into the UK at some point during its life, it doesn't necessarily mean it was manufactured in the UK.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

The BNP marks just mean it was proofed for commercial sale in Britain at some point. My Savage No. 4 and Dreyse 1907 both got similar marks during their time over there.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Miso Beno posted:

The BNP, or Birmingham Nitro Proof indicates the gun proof tested at the Birmingham Proof House and was legally sold, or at least imported into the UK at some point during its life, it doesn't necessarily mean it was manufactured in the UK.

Yes, you are right but that absence of other visible proofs would indicate that it was probably British manufacture wouldn't it?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fearless posted:

Yes, you are right but that absence of other visible proofs would indicate that it was probably British manufacture wouldn't it?

I mean it could be an Ishapore or Australia which would also track with the 1940 production date and crude production quality. I guess the B stamping means it wasn't made in a normal factory? sauce. I have no idea where my Enfield proof book got off to.

edit: i guess australia isnt in the uk too

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 18, 2020

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Well, it's not marked G.R.I. so it wasn't made in India and it's not marked Lithgow so it wasn't made in Australia. For the SMLE that leaves Britain or the Khyber Pass...

From a quick search, the markings look consistent with BSA 'dispersal' rifles produced in 1940-41.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

FWIW hereís the wrist on my Ď43 Maltby No4

poo poo got CRUDE

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

For further comparison, here is my mid-late 1916 SMLE (so post-Somme):

After two years of horrendous losses for the BEF, things still hadn't gotten nearly so desperate as they were in 1940.

E: Jesus Cyrano, your No. 4 makes my new Fazakerly look downright refined.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I think 1943 might be the peak year, on average, for crude build quality in European weapons. The Soviets are still in full blown ďoh gently caress GERMANSĒ more, the English are desperately trying to make enough guns for an invasion, and the Germans are starting to get serious about cutting corners.

Donít get me wrong, you see worse from everyone, but I think itís where the over all quality is really pretty low.