Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yugo m48 picked up, all matching that i saw, it is niiiiiice. Only one divot in the wood, sight is intact, sharp rifling. Will have pics later

Edit for pics

479 including transfer and shipping

What's the best least abusive way of getting cosmo out?

Stravag fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Stravag posted:

What's the best least abusive way of getting cosmo out?

wrap that bitch in a couple towels and throw it in the sun

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

MadBimber posted:

Black trash bags is the pro move.

Or, if you buy in the winter because you're a loving moron, go ahead and spend hours with a heat gun in your lovely apartment bathtub and coat the walls/your lungs with cosmo. I also have a dedicated cosmo boiling pot for anything that fits, usually bolts and the like.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've used pumice-free mechanic's handsoap, very hot shower water, and then a green scrubby and blue Dove dishsoap.

It worked OK - but I think I'll try the trash bag first next time.

E: vvv I should mention that the stock had apparently been used as a chew toy before I got it.

moths fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 19, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

moths posted:

I've used pumice-free mechanic's handsoap, very hot shower water, and then a green scrubby and blue Dove dishsoap.

It worked OK - but I think I'll try the trash bag first next time.

All that is the nuclear option for condolence. It works if the stock is hosed but I wouldnít start there.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

MadBimber posted:

Sounds like that's my best bet once the rain goes away thanks

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Checked the list a little again and I feel like:

https://www.icollector.com/MAUSER-MODEL-C96-STANDARD-BROOMHANDLE-CALIBER-7-63-MAUSER_i37454646

Edit: Oh my god someone scratched their initials in the frame on both sides

"Some handling marks"

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Okay, finally got the 91/30. Bought the biggest reasonable case I could find, and...

Phew. It barely fits.

All the accoutrements. Complete with cosmo still inside the container. Did I already post these non-gun bits? I don't remember. Had 'em for a week or two.

There's (what I think is) only a little cosmo on this...

But uh...
I'm missing the thumb screw for the scope mount. No huge deal, I can buy one - but it'll take forever to get here, I'll see if I can find any extra fine-pitch (M... 8? Anyone ... actually know what threads these are?) metric set screws at work in the meantime. I'll take some calipers to it in the morning, pretty sure it's an 8. Outside chance of it being an M10.

Finally buying some nice ammo tomorrow too, since being in CA it's a bitch and a half to do so online.

Edit: I'm a dumbo so I checked the gunbroker listing, and it shows it attached with the thumb screw. I'll call 'em tomorrow, 'cuz they should make it right. They took the scope off for shipment ... aaaaaah it makes sense. When I initially started the paperwork here at the CA FFL there was a hole in the box - the scope mount had popped through. We took pictures of it at the time, I should've immediately called the KS FFL, but I just documented the box instead. They took the scope off, left the screw in, the mount poked through in transit and the screw fell off. drat.
This is gonna be a weird one.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 24, 2020

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

We moved away from purple power?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Syrian Lannister posted:

We moved away from purple power?

Yeah. Itís still an approach if your stock is totally hosed ( think early 00s era Yugo rifle just caked in cosmo) but itís way harsher than needed for almost any milsurp youíre going to find today.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

May toss a bid on this, looks like an Augusta arsenal rebuild marked colt 1911 frame with a RR slide on it. Any of you more 1911 versed guys see any big issues?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/870469089

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Sweet! I have fallen in love with mine and am reloading for it now. It is incredibly accurate. Hope you get the screw replaced easily.

Can you share where you got that case? I'm using a clunky walmart type hard plastic one and would love to upgrade.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Okay, finally got the 91/30. Bought the biggest reasonable case I could find, and...

Phew. It barely fits.

All the accoutrements. Complete with cosmo still inside the container. Did I already post these non-gun bits? I don't remember. Had 'em for a week or two.

There's (what I think is) only a little cosmo on this...

But uh...

I'm missing the thumb screw for the scope mount. No huge deal, I can buy one - but it'll take forever to get here, I'll see if I can find any extra fine-pitch (M... 8? Anyone ... actually know what threads these are?) metric set screws at work in the meantime. I'll take some calipers to it in the morning, pretty sure it's an 8. Outside chance of it being an M10.

Finally buying some nice ammo tomorrow too, since being in CA it's a bitch and a half to do so online.

Edit: I'm a dumbo so I checked the gunbroker listing, and it shows it attached with the thumb screw. I'll call 'em tomorrow, 'cuz they should make it right. They took the scope off for shipment ... aaaaaah it makes sense. When I initially started the paperwork here at the CA FFL there was a hole in the box - the scope mount had popped through. We took pictures of it at the time, I should've immediately called the KS FFL, but I just documented the box instead. They took the scope off, left the screw in, the mount poked through in transit and the screw fell off. drat.
This is gonna be a weird one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

This site looks like it has the screw:

https://www.accumounts.com/mobile/russian-mosin.html

Website is terrible but scroll down. I think ďPU thumb screwĒ is the right one. Maybe call or email them to be 100% sure.

Itís $25 which sucks but also isnít totally insane. At least itís not just pure unobtainium.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man. Now I want to shoot my PU. Guess Iím loading some x54r in a bit.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man. Now I want to shoot my PU. Guess I’m loading some x54r in a bit.
I'll be shooting it this weekend. I'm hoping for a 1" group at 100 yards. I've gotten it before but had a flier. I think the limitation is me and my rest but I think it's possible.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah itíll be next weekend for me. Iíve already got some 8mm and .308 loaded for this weekend. Tuning the gas system on the G43 and then just doing some target shooting with the SL7.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

DeesGrandpa posted:

May toss a bid on this, looks like an Augusta arsenal rebuild marked colt 1911 frame with a RR slide on it. Any of you more 1911 versed guys see any big issues?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/870469089

That's an M1911 WW1 era frame if that matters to you. The smaller beavertail means the gun is more likely to bite you if you're prone to that. Based on the whole thing being parkerized and the AA mark it's probably not a put together, looks like a CMP gun in fact, not sure why it doesn't have paperwork tho

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Sten Freak posted:

Sweet! I have fallen in love with mine and am reloading for it now. It is incredibly accurate. Hope you get the screw replaced easily.

Can you share where you got that case? I'm using a clunky walmart type hard plastic one and would love to upgrade.

I got it off Amazon, the company is called Savior. Didn't look too much into the company (maybe this'll end up being egg on my face, but I didn't see it talked about in the Problematic Companies thread), just saw it had good reviews and holds two really long guns. They had different sizes, I went with the biggest (52", I think) and it seems pretty nice so far.

Got a lot of pouches, has a thick divider for two guns, and the seams, straps, and zippers feel pretty well-done.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This site looks like it has the screw:

https://www.accumounts.com/mobile/russian-mosin.html

Website is terrible but scroll down. I think “PU thumb screw” is the right one. Maybe call or email them to be 100% sure.

It’s $25 which sucks but also isn’t totally insane. At least it’s not just pure unobtainium.

Ty for the link - the only ones I found last night shipped from Russia (With Love, of course) and I don't wanna have to wait that long
I think the thread is M10x0.75, based on the hole I.D. I'll double check if I can get my hands on a set screw. Originality be damned (for now), I wanna get that scope mounted!

E: turns out a 0.75 pitch thread is hard to find. Good news is the shop i bought it from will source one and send it out. Hopefully.

Got some ammo coming so it's not like I'd be shooting it this week anyway, but it still sucks.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 19, 2020

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

NCStar also sells a similar case (which may be damning) and a bunch of other no-name brands are hawking the same so it's kind of a generic Chinese manufacture design.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah itíll be next weekend for me. Iíve already got some 8mm and .308 loaded for this weekend. Tuning the gas system on the G43 and then just doing some target shooting with the SL7.

G43 pics, please?

Edit: Also, does anyone here have a shaved webley? I happened to find some .455 ammo for a not-insane price but with a shaved cylinder the firing pin won't reach. any ideas?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I sold my old shaved .455 Webley because of that issue. I think the only real practical solution is to reload .45ACP to .455 Webley specs and shoot it using moonclips.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I checked old thread OP for resources but the links are dead. Where's a good place to look for a Chinese type 53 carbine Mosin?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gunbroker at this point.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Same question but for an SKS? I missed the batch AIM Surplus had. Idk if those were a good deal.

Palmetto state armory seems to have a batch covered in cosmoline for 349 each... As does Classic but, well, I read the title

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Don't be afraid of cosmo, embrace the milsurp hassles we all used to have to deal with. I'd not be afraid to just go for one of the PSA SKS.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

DeesGrandpa posted:

Don't be afraid of cosmo, embrace the milsurp hassles we all used to have to deal with. I'd not be afraid to just go for one of the PSA SKS.

Yeah I was actually interested in trying to clean one up, my main concern with PSA is some people reporting in the reviews that they received a really bad rifle, and they aren't offering hand picks, so it seems like a gamble.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hand picks are rarely worth it. I'd rather deal with AIM (my garbage grade was exactly what I wanted) but "really bad rifle" in terms of the SKS surplus isn't too bad, and honestly I'd trust PSA over classic any day. If you want a verified up to your specs rifle go for a more expensive on on GB, otherwise roll them dice. I'd say expect the one I'm posting (garbage from aim) and be happier if you get one that's better.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Classic?

Donít make me tap the thread title.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Classic?

Donít make me tap the thread title.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Edit: aww beaten

Here's the template though

https://i.imgur.com/RUZ1w7l.jpg

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 20, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Ahhahaha

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Goddamn

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

One of those in OP please, or both.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hah done.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

flightless greeb posted:

I sold my old shaved .455 Webley because of that issue. I think the only real practical solution is to reload .45ACP to .455 Webley specs and shoot it using moonclips.

yeahhhh that's what I was afraid of. I wonder if I could have a gunsmith lengthen the firing pin and still have to clear the frame? maybe.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

I'm participating in my first online auction and this poo poo is intense. The FOMO is very real. But on the bright side, I now have a Vis 35.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I'm participating in my first online auction and this poo poo is intense. The FOMO is very real. But on the bright side, I now have a Vis 35.

Switzer?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Yeah.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

Those Colts were going for crazy.

I picked up a neat toy, not sure if I'll resell it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I have only bid on auctions a couple of times, and it's a lot of fun. Especially when you can do it with government money.