Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

It would be a sad error in judgement to mistake me for a corpse.

Clapping Larry

mikerock posted:

I have only bid on auctions a couple of times, and it's a lot of fun. Especially when you can do it with government money.

Lol you rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

mikerock posted:

I have only bid on auctions a couple of times, and it's a lot of fun. Especially when you can do it with money that isn't yours.

Fixed it.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hey Somebody Awful or etc can you check this auction out? It seems like a pretty good deal to me: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871895117

1916 BSA No. 1 Mk. III with what appears to be unit markings on the stock? In ok shape for $625 BIN.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I'd be leery of anyone asking that much money with pictures that bad. The stock looks possibly sanded to me and I don't think the nose cap is correct for a 1916 BSA. Maybe Lithgow but don't quote me on that.

You can still find a decent SMLE for less, especially if you're not dead set on WWI vintage.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'm deadset on WWI vintage but good to know, I can let that one float on by.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Yeah, stock looks refinished and the seller notes it as a "stock rebuild". My 1908 No1 Mk.III has that dark linseed finish that's almost black.

Pass for $625 IMHO.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

I shot my 91/30 PU yesterday. The load is definitely accurate as hell. But I ended up pulling a shot in my best 5rd group. Smallest group remains at 1.8Ē.

Trying to shoot for true precision at distance is making my realize that my aortic valve regurgitation works against me as I have a thump every heartbeat that is more pronounced than it should be. Also I found I shot best spending a lot of time resting behind the scope before shooting. But I ended up rushing the groups anyway like a dummy. I will probably end up buying a proper rest and take my sweet rear end time and believe a 5 shot sub 1Ē is possible. In any cases hand loading for these sniper rifles is completely rewarding.

For fun I shot a magazine through the Sten on semi at 25 yards about a shot every 2 seconds and turned in a 6-7Ē group. It was slightly right of center so I made a small adjustment of the front sight. Once itís perfect I should probably have it lightly welded in place.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

MadBimber posted:

G43 pics, please?

Got it out to the range yesterday, so sure.

Here it is at the line:

Here's the shooter's kit that I was adjusting. Shot great with my handloads and the narrow aperture plug. I use a brass catcher so I don't know how far it would have flung them, but it was straight into the net jumping right out at the 3 o'clock position. Didn't feel like it was tossing them super hard. Brass got the occasional dented neck from hitting the receiver on the way out but nothing that won't pop right out in the press.

Receiver:

Pretty typical DUV 44.

Stock matches and is in good, unsanded condition

Bolt carrier doesn't match

But the bolt itself does, which is good. Frankly a carrier mismatch, bolt match is pretty much the perfect sweet spot for one of these. Not quite the premium that an all matching gun is going to command, but the parts that really matter are matching. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it was swapped in the field. Some GI pulling bolts on captured guns wouldn't bother to keep the bolt but not the carrier with the gun. It's conjecture, but conjecture I choose to think is likely.

EP'd SN on the bolt:

The bolt internals all match with the exception of a single locking lug.

extractor:

firing pin carrier

Bolt lugs:

How does it shoot? Eh, OK. These two groups are at 50 yards. I'm pretty sure that flier in the last one is me pulling it pretty badly.

I'm pretty sure I can get it to do better, though. The trigger is pretty poo poo. Super long super mushy with a super poo poo break. However these things have adjustable triggers, because of course that's what you put in your late war gun that you're not even bothering to mill the forging marks off of any more. I just got done fiddling with it a bit and while the break still isn't all that clean it's much shorter. Before it was like a loving staple gun, so I'm hoping that will at least help with it. I might get the trigger guard off because IIRC there's a second adjustment screw up under there that I can further fiddle with the trigger pull with.

Oh, it had one oddball malfunction. After two mags there was a cease fire and I went to post paper. When I got back the drat thing wouldn't fire. Hammer dropped fine but no dimple on the primer. I was afraid for a moment that I might have a broken firing pin. Took apart the bolt, everything looked fine, put a little oil in for good measure, and it finished out the day fine. No idea what that as about. It's got a two piece floating pin, though, so maybe something was getting hung up. It's something to keep an eye on the next time I have it out.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

My M1 carbine doesn't seem to want to properly chamber the first round in a mag. I'll let it close and it'll be like a millimeter out of battery so I'll have to take the mag out and pull the action open and let it go and then it'll fire. Do I just need to ride it and more forcefully close it on the first round instead of slingshotting it or is there something else I should look at? After the first round it seems to feed just fine on its own.

edit: using all new springs except the ones in the bolt (no bolt assembly tool yet) and KCI magazines.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 21, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I remember one of the most challenging things about shooting a PU was the fact that you can't get any kind of cheek weld with it at all, it's a big issue with basically all the old sniper rifles from before they knew about accuracy lol

I went and did 223 accuracy trials with a bunch of my rifles and it's amazing how big a difference different brands of ammo perform in different firearms. One of these days I'll start reloading, I say again for the 6th consecutive year in a row

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

awesome! semi auto battle rifles are so cool, thanks for taking the time to get pics. it's a shame everything german is so expensive but i was looking earlier and even the SVT has become really pricey. let us know how the trigger adjustment goes

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

"Tell me of your home world, Usul"

Any better way to clean rust while maintaining some semblence of finish/blueing than a copper bristle brush and oil? Copper's pretty soft so that shouldn't scratch up steel.

For stocks, you just throw it in a trash bag full of cat litter, put it out in the driveway, and let it bake in the sun?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Coppers the way to go, yeah. Chore boy pads (the all copper ones with no chemicals in them) are good too. Copper wool if you can get it is the best.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

flightless greeb posted:

I remember one of the most challenging things about shooting a PU was the fact that you can't get any kind of cheek weld with it at all, it's a big issue with basically all the old sniper rifles from before they knew about accuracy lol

I canít find it now, but Iím sure Iíve seen a picture of a Soviet sniper shooting prone, rifle rested, and using the left hand on top of the stock as a sort of impromptu cheek riser. I canít comment on how well it would work and a lot of things that were actually done arenít helpful. There may have been a bag under the back of the stock, but again this is going off my hazy memory of a photo seen years ago.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

these guys make a bunch of slip on leather butt covers with built in cheek pads/risers. Iíve been looking at one for my red dot using K98k for a while. I think 1 inch should be enough to give a better cheek weld on a sniper m91/30.

$90 isnít terrible for that.

Edit: the link above is to the mosin version.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I got it off Amazon, the company is called Savior. Didn't look too much into the company (maybe this'll end up being egg on my face, but I didn't see it talked about in the Problematic Companies thread), just saw it had good reviews and holds two really long guns. They had different sizes, I went with the biggest (52", I think) and it seems pretty nice so far.

Got a lot of pouches, has a thick divider for two guns, and the seams, straps, and zippers feel pretty well-done.

BTW, meant to say thanks for this. I need to look for something. Funny enough I'm way more motivated to avoid buying stuff made in China but it can be awfully hard for cheaper accessories like this unless you go used.

E:

What I've done with my 91/30 is to put a butt pad on it then just try to find the most comfortable hold with a decent view in the scope, holding the front of the butt with my non shooting hand. That riser is pretty neat though. If the trigger were just a little better that'd help but hey it's a Mosin.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

seems legitimate

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Ah, Ian is selling some of his collection!

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

I'll just leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug_3T0wu0DI

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Who wants to see an absolute monstrosity?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871693472

When butchering an SKS is played out

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

gently caress. As someone wanting a vz52 that hurts me in my soul.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Same, never did find a 52/57 at a price I could do

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

He's also selling a Vz 52 in a G43 stock.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Holy poo poo WHY?!?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871695772

That stock would be $300 (maybe more I havenít looked at prices in forever but loving repros minus hardware are $200) alone.

Goddamn I can not imagine the sequence of events that leads to that. Probably one of the ďtruck bed linerĒ century VZ52s but even so why use a goddamned G43 stock?!?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Cyrano4747 posted:

Holy poo poo WHY?!?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871695772

That stock would be $300 (maybe more I havenít looked at prices in forever but loving repros minus hardware are $200) alone.

Goddamn I can not imagine the sequence of events that leads to that. Probably one of the ďtruck bed linerĒ century VZ52s but even so why use a goddamned G43 stock?!?

Gunsmithing is my passion

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamn I can not imagine the sequence of events that leads to that.

"I'm a artist."

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Usually I don't like the anonymity of the internet being used as a blanket to harass people but I do wonder if people see gunbroker ads like that and then just send emails talking poo poo, telling the guy how stupid he is, how much money he's wasted, etc

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

i kinda want it

Maybe the VZ52 is a gonsmif special I recall seeing some of them for sale in SOG with busted stocks ages ago and shot out bores. Also, mayhaps the G43 stock is a repo that was damaged in some way? This gun doesn't look like a hacky braze job from where I'm sitting and shortening the barrel and adjusting the gas system / rebarreling is a non-trivial amount of work

then again, i also want one of then nagants with an SVD scope mount because i'm loving stupid

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Doesnít look like the gun is shortened just the stock.

Also the stock looks legit from where Iím sitting.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

a boy can dream

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I want it because it's so hosed.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Reminds me of some of the weird historical inspired firearms from Valkyria Chronicles

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Man I just cannot get the retainer pin that keeps the rollers in the barrel of my CZ-52 to come out. The 9mm barrel had a roll pin that was in fairly tight but came out with a little effort. But the original 7.62x25 barrel has a solid pin that seems to be somewhat soft and I can't get it to budge. I'm worried I've just pushed the edges out more and made it stuck even tighter. I put some kroil on it to soak in for a day or three. Is there anything else I should try?

I bought some replacement rollers for both barrels since supposedly the originals are often not hardened enough and can deform and seize up the barrel. I just need to get this dang pin out before I can replace them!

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

"Tell me of your home world, Usul"

alright thread, I took apart a G98 pattern mauser and I have a pin that I don't know where it goes. It is just a straight pin. Rounded head, flat butt. I separated the barreled-receiver unit and the lower receiver (magazine mount) and the magazine follower/spring/floorplate, but didn't take apart the trigger or other units, it just came apart somewhere in there. It is receiver length so it probably goes across the receiver somewhere.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 24, 2020

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

A barrel band pin?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sounds to me like maybe one of the trigger group pins?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I've got an M1 Carbine and I was looking at the markings. There's K.ART. on the recoil plate which I can't find any reference to anywhere. Maybe it's just someone's name? And right above it in the receiver it looks like there was something stamped, and then ground off.

Are these legitimate markings, or just someone loving around?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Google is pointing to Norwegian coastal artillery. This was on forgotten weapons comments re: Norwegian Mausers but it tracks as they also used carbines in the Cold War

quote:

And lastly markings for Norwegian used Mauser rifles
H∆R = army
FLY = flyvŚpenet = air force
K.ART = kystartilleri = coastal artillery (these used rifles in both 7,92 and 7,62)
KNM = Kongelige norske marine = Royal Norwegian navy
NSB = Norske Sporbaner = Norwegian railroads
POLITI = police

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

Yeah more info I found:

quote:

From what I've read these carbines where sold or given to Norway and then bought by Israel. The K.Art is supposed to be a Norwegian Costal artillery mark, similar to the ones seen on their K98s. The Grind mark seen on back of the receiver is where the Israelis removed their markings prior to export. The serial number on the stock was also done in Israel. I've never seen one with out an import mark. Severa of these turned up in a batch of Century imports awhile back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Ah ok. That's pretty neat.