Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Very neat. Post the rest of the gun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Definitely one of the coolest parts of milsurp are the guns that wear the hallmarks of having passed all over the world in their life. Like, gently caress, my M39 was already 50 years old before the Finns rebuilt it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Hey after having never heard anything from CMP regarding my 1911 submission, they called me today. I couldn't chat right then but I'll call them back tomorrow and see what I can get.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Imgur was being a poo poo yesterday so I couldn't get all these pics uploaded until now, but here's some more pics of my carbine. I took a pic of every stamp or stamp looking thing I could find.

album

Kramjacks fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 26, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

That looks absolutely terrific - nice gun!

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Anybody know anything about the Carcanos that were converted to 8mm? Are those safe to use or are we talking about a 6.5mm Vetterli conversion situation?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Iirc itís a real ymmv situation. The action should be plenty strong but the quality of the conversion varies drastically.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

I finally got to the point where I was ready to buy a Garand but now I see that with the COVID the CMP is out of the service grade guns. I live within easy driving distance of the south store and I'm not sure what the best move is. Should I wait until they have service grade guns available again? Will they have service grade guns available again? Or should I just go down there and snatch the best looking field grade I can find?

I hope to only buy one of these so I don't mind spending a lil more or waiting a lil longer to get the one I want, I'm just not sure what to do in these uncertain times

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Stalizard posted:

I finally got to the point where I was ready to buy a Garand but now I see that with the COVID the CMP is out of the service grade guns. I live within easy driving distance of the south store and I'm not sure what the best move is. Should I wait until they have service grade guns available again? Will they have service grade guns available again? Or should I just go down there and snatch the best looking field grade I can find?

I hope to only buy one of these so I don't mind spending a lil more or waiting a lil longer to get the one I want, I'm just not sure what to do in these uncertain times

CMP should be restocking some grades eventually. I've been impressed with field grades as well, I'd just get the best you can at the time and enjoy it. If service are in stock next year get that, and then sell the field if you want, I'd just say get a garand sooner than later.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah I think they said they marked stuff sold out because they just have too many orders to fill and once they catch up on that they'll mark things as in stock again

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

They do say "Our stores were stocked before we left for quarantine and we did not pull the stock back because it would slow all processes. " So checking a store might not be a bad idea.

I got a GCA membership last week because July is one of those fun months when I get three paychecks so I can spend a little and not have it screw my budget. I'm going to follow Dee's suggestion and get a field grade and wait until service come back into stock. Now I need to find my hunters safety card. I think I put it into my safety deposit box because I keep on misplacing the thing.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I have a Field and a Special Rack and they are both great. I really like the M1 amd would recommend it to anyone who likes Milsurp, old guns, full size auto loaders, and wood gun lovers.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

My GCA card came today too! I'm going to print the Field grade order form out at work and fill it out during the slow times.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Just keep in mind that it has to be notarized.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

I have a question re: heresy. As I wait for my well-used Radom Vis 35 to be approved for transfer (the Ontario backlog at the RCMP is now about 12 weeks), I am considering re-bluing it to a) pretty it up, and b) protect it from the elements a bit, as I will be shooting it. It's a later war production so it didn't have a very good finish to begin with. I suspect re-bluing it would affect its value, but would it be very significant? Is re-bluing really such a big deal to collectors? I have no intention to sell it in the near future but you never know what bills pop up. Then, of course, there's the sentimental value of loving with a drat near 80 year old gun. But again, is bluing something that would've at times been done by a factory anyway, as a weapon aged or was refurbed, like many Lee Enfields?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Yes. Re-bluing it will utterly tank any value it has.

Also unless you're planning to make it a heavy use gun you don't really need to refinish it to protect it from the elements. If this is going to be a duty pistol, the kind you carry on your hip all the time to shoot bears with or whatever, well, I would put the money you would spend having it refinished towards a glock and not use a 80 year old gun for that.

If you want to protect it from rust, just take care of it and don't store it in a un-air conditioned shack in a swamp.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Yes, reblueing will wreck its collector and financial value. That pistol has a decent finish on it, reblueing will not look better and I don't know what you're doing with a radom in Canada that you really need more protection from the elements, but you're not going to get much more of that either, not that it would matter since you're not going to be exposing it to harsh environments without the ability to oil it anyways

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Duly noted. It's just going to get regular range time and otherwise will be sitting in a safe in my absurdly dry condo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, it's fine. There's zero reason to refinish it in order to protect it.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Although refinishing was done at the factory, this still holds more value then it being done by a gunsmith (or even yourself if you're good at it). Per above, I suggest against it. Only guns I've ever refinished were rusty unsalvagable 5% finish junk guns that we refurbished as blank firing for reenactment/films.

e - I was too slow on the trigger.

N17R4M fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 28, 2020

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Cyrano4747 posted:

If someone posted goatse with the mauser logo in the middle of the void over in the milsurp thread I'd probably laugh and give them a week after NWS tagging and linking the image so it didn't auto-load, but if they did it in the mental health thread I'd be pondering whether it was just a ban or a perma.

By request of our beloved moderator, obviously :nws:
https://i.imgur.com/dz5r7Nq.gif

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

By request of our beloved moderator, obviously :nws:
https://i.imgur.com/dz5r7Nq.gif

They should have sent a poet

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Just had to give this pic a workout in a milsurp FB group I am in:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

a un-air conditioned shack in a swamp.

but enough about my house

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MadBimber posted:

but enough about my house

What are you doing in my house? Whatever, just keep your mitts off the GP11.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man I need to go out and burn the last of my GP11 just so I have a good reason to buy some 7.5 dies and see what that rifle can do with handloads.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also AIM has K31s in stock and they look good. $550 but frankly thatís a reasonable price for that gun, even if they were a fifth that price 15 years ago.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I keep thinking about picking up a 96/11 but then I look at how much 7.5x55 costs now and remember I have a very nice Swedish m/96 I should be handloading for already. :effort:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man I need to go out and burn the last of my GP11 just so I have a good reason to buy some 7.5 dies and see what that rifle can do with handloads.

"Hey, this rifle shoots sub-1-moa now! Better get diopter sights. I could really use one of those bipod adaptors, too. And an extended recoil pad and...", all of a sudden you're taking bi-yearly trips to Switzerland, your luggage stinks of Gruyere, and half your wardrobe is suede leather.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Somebody Awful posted:

I keep thinking about picking up a 96/11 but then I look at how much 7.5x55 costs now and remember I have a very nice Swedish m/96 I should be handloading for already. :effort:

"Hey, this rifle shoots sub-1-moa now! Better get diopter sights. I could really use one of those bipod adaptors, too. And an extended recoil pad and...", all of a sudden you're taking bi-yearly trips to Sweden, your luggage stinks of Adelost Blue, and half your wardrobe is hideous knit sweaters.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lol I already own the diopter sites and the bipod adapter.

The bipod adapter hasnít been on it for years but itís somewhere in my gun poo poo.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

I just bought a k31 this morning. I now just have to master the patience to wait for it to get here.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

:bisonyes:

Make a thread when it gets here so we can all oogle it and then flood it with our own swiss poo poo.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Had a chance to check out the CMP Rack Grade 1911 I bought today as I started my transfer. It's a '43 Ithaca M1911A1 frame topped by a mismatched Remington Rand slide - the slide is so heavily reparked you can barely read the rollmark on it to figure out who made it - the frame isn't as bad, just a hint of the crossed cannons from the ordnance stamp is still visible. The barrel is also reparked and is a post-WWII replacement per beetle. Interestingly enough, the CMP shipped the gun with a mecgar magazine as well.

I'll post some pics of it once I have it in hand and can take some that will do it justice.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

:bisonyes:

Make a thread when it gets here so we can all oogle it and then flood it with our own swiss poo poo.

Will do. :dance:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Prof. Banks posted:

I just bought a k31 this morning. I now just have to master the patience to wait for it to get here.

Good, good.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dNAMcJQ8T0

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

:dance:

I'll take better pictures later. It's in great condition mechanically and the bore looks like it's never been shot. I am a little disappointed that it's almost definitely been refinished at some point though. But they seem to have done a good job doing it at least.

I also thought it would be nice to have a family reunion, so I went ahead and broke out great grandpa Vetterli.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

wow that Vetterli looks fantastic! have you fired it at all? is it one that needs/needed conversion to centerfire?

nice k31 as well. I keep waffling on picking up a k11

MadBimber fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

I have fired it a few times. It was already converted to centerfire and I snagged a few of the guy's reload reloads when I bought it at the auction. I thought I would only ever fire 48 shots out of it since that was all the rounds that came with it, but I've since started reloading. I just need to buya at of dies and work out a load. It's a neat old thing that is in heavy rotation on the gun wall (tm).