Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I love the vetterli! Looking for one currently to go with my Italian

I am also really thinking about buying a Spanish FR-8. Is this a good idea y/n?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Can't think of any particular issues with the FR-8 off the top of my head. Just make sure it is an FR-8 and not an FR-7.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Shot Sten's M2 carbine among other things today. I was quite happy with my M1 carbine but welp now I'm seeing what freeing up 10 grand is going to look like over the next 6 months. What a rad loving gun

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ok, so I actually have two weeks off from work. Pennsylvania and Ohio are covid safe zones per NY standards. Passing through the rural areas only increases safety...

A 6 hour road trip to personally pick out my CMP Garand in Ohio suddenly sounds like a great idea.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Missing Name posted:

Ok, so I actually have two weeks off from work. Pennsylvania and Ohio are covid safe zones per NY standards. Passing through the rural areas only increases safety...

A 6 hour road trip to personally pick out my CMP Garand in Ohio suddenly sounds like a great idea.

Bring gas cans and food, that way you don't have to stop anywhere.

I don't get the rationale behind taking trips right now. "The state government said it's fine.", "I haven't gone anywhere else.", "We are only going through the country.", blah, blah, all wishful thinking. The power of positive bullshit.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Actually, as a healthcare worker, yeah

On second thought, let's not go to Ohio. Tis a silly place anyway.

Threw the application in the mail just now

Neondragons
Nov 4, 2009

How much does a duffle cut affect the value of a rifle? I would assume it falls somewhere in the middle of unmolested and sporterized, but is it closer to a mall ninja mosin that's worth about :10bux: since its been put into a synthetic stock and drilled for a scope, or do they still retain most of their value?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Going to depend a lot on what the base gun is, what condition it's in otherwise, where the cut is, and whether there's provenance for the cut actually being a duffel cut.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Somebody Awful posted:

Going to depend a lot on what the base gun is, what condition it's in otherwise, where the cut is, and whether there's provenance for the cut actually being a duffel cut.

To expand a bit on this:

The most "desirable" duffel cuts are a) clean and b) someplace that it isn't immediately visible. Ideally under a barrel band, as the band will cover up the cut. Duffel cuts also remove a bit of wood from the saw going through, so the very best ones will be done with something thin like a hacksaw. The worst ones with a thicker blade will leave the stock notably shorter.

A well done duffel cut can be repaired, but then you get into the quality of the repair. The best ones involve a non-ferrous (usually brass or copper) rod or rods being put into the inside of the stock along both sides of the cuts, then some binding agent holding the two halves of the stock together. I've seen acraglass and wood glue most commonly. If you're getting REALLY fancy you can make some saw dust from the same kind of wood as the stock and mix that in. If the stock has been shortened a bit you can build up that cut area with that kind of wood/binder slurry. That's going to leave some poo poo on the surface so some sanding gets involved, but if you're careful you can avoid sanding too much away from the actual cut. There are some woodworking wizards out there who can patch poo poo like this so it's basically invisible. Again, being under a barrel band helps a LOT. Properly repaired they're fine for shooting.

If it's an otherwise desirable gun (say an all matching K98k) and the cut is either discrete, well repaired, or ideally both the price isn't affected much at all. I mean, a bit, but we're talking well within the normal wiggle room you're going to get with haggling on a private sale anyways. Don't take this as a firm figure, but think it being the kind of thing you use to talk a dude down to $1200 on a gun they want $1300 for. On the other end of the scale is the poo poo where it's just loving fugly. I saw a G41 once where the cut was smack dab in the middle between the barrel bands and the repair involved a copious amount of gorilla glue. Or a K43 where the cut had been done right through the loving meat of the stock and, again, gorilla glue was the binding agent of choice. In these situations you're looking at a much more serious hit in the price. Not as bad as, say, having a mismatched stock on it since (assuming everything is all matching) the stock IS original and you can always seek out one of those woodworking wizards, but you're also talking about having to have some repairs done. It doesn't tank the value but it's sure not getting top dollar either.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

I feel like this topic is just a thinly disguised advertisement for Anvil Gunsmithig on YouTube. Every other episode is basically a duffel cut or some acraglas repair. Not that there's anything wrong with that......

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

:stare: Experimental Finnish Mauser in 7.62x54R with detachable magazine, anyone?

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I am extremely hard right now

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

I'd buy that for $62

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Is that really an experiment or is it some kind of bubba?

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Looks bubba’d. Yes, the Finns during the rise of Hitler decided to make 14lb glossy varnished Carl Gustavs with diopter sights.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

DkHelmet posted:

Yes, the Finns during the rise of Hitler decided to make 14lb glossy varnished Carl Gustavs with diopter sights.

Yes they did, because marksmanship practice and competition were an integral part of military readiness and nobody in Finland gave a gently caress about the "rise of Hitler" in 1934.

Here's another one built on a Belgian marked M98 action.

And a Finnish match grade Arisaka.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

DkHelmet posted:

Looks bubba’d. Yes, the Finns during the rise of Hitler decided to make 14lb glossy varnished Carl Gustavs with diopter sights.

gently caress dude now you HAVE to buy it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Thermos posted:

I am also really thinking about buying a Spanish FR-8. Is this a good idea y/n?
Only downside to the FR8 is it kicks like a biiiiiiitch for a .308. Ultimately that was a big part of why mine ended up on the chopping block. Otherwise they're really neat.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

.308 is just unpleasant in general in a lot of military boot actions. I’ve got an Israeli k98k that was rebarreled for .308 and it suuuuuuucks to shoot. Like not unusable but way less pleasant than 8mm. Snappier.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Not coincidentally Swedish Mausers are great because you can shoot them all day without banging yourself up.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

They bang up your wallet instead. :ssh:

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Captain Log posted:

:hmmyes:

Oh God, you're going deep into this stuff. I thought I felt a disturbance in the book collector's force.

For other book collectors, Dolf Goldsmith is doing another book on the Vickers, an update and revision on The Grand Old Lady of No Man's Land. The original is enormous, beautiful, and incredibly comprehensive, so I can only imagine what the extra 270 pages of content looks like.

Get on the Kickstarter or forever hold your peace.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Yond Cassius posted:

For other book collectors, Dolf Goldsmith is doing another book on the Vickers, an update and revision on The Grand Old Lady of No Man's Land. The original is enormous, beautiful, and incredibly comprehensive, so I can only imagine what the extra 270 pages of content looks like.

Get on the Kickstarter or forever hold your peace.

When I look at the mock up, I see a ream of printer paper.

Please, somebody tell them it shouldn’t look like a ream. Of printer paper.

(Still probably ultra collectible and full of awesome knowledge.)

Yond Cassius
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Captain Log posted:

When I look at the mock up, I see a ream of printer paper.

Please, somebody tell them it shouldn’t look like a ream. Of printer paper.

(Still probably ultra collectible and full of awesome knowledge.)

It's not even a mockup; it's just a quick and dirty digital wrap of a cover design. I've got one of the publisher's books - the one on the AK-47 - and I'll be happy to take some photos if you'd like, or of The Grand Old Lady of No Man's Land (same author, different publisher, and I think the basis for the new book). It's not an Easton Press or Folio Society production, or even a Steidl or Phaidon, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Yond Cassius posted:

It's not even a mockup; it's just a quick and dirty digital wrap of a cover design. I've got one of the publisher's books - the one on the AK-47 - and I'll be happy to take some photos if you'd like, or of The Grand Old Lady of No Man's Land (same author, different publisher, and I think the basis for the new book). It's not an Easton Press or Folio Society production, or even a Steidl or Phaidon, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Ahhh, that makes a whole lot more sense. I figured that wasn't it, but my cell phone screen is tiny and I'm easily confused.

I will absolutely, never, ever turn down a chance to look at a beautiful book. :downs:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man, so here’s the real question: am I finally going to sell the refinished G/k43 mag I have? drat thing has seen zero use over the last five years but they’re so loving expensive I have this dumb hoarder compulsion to keep a spare.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, so here’s the real question: am I finally going to sell the refinished G/k43 mag I have? drat thing has seen zero use over the last five years but they’re so loving expensive I have this dumb hoarder compulsion to keep a spare.

Selling poo poo i don't use is the best gun related choice I continue to make. I've regretted one or two, but overall its the way

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Your only spare? The mechanic in me says absolutely keep a spare; a week or a month after you toss an old part to clear a shelf the running one breaks and you're shopping. One to go and one to show.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

Selling poo poo i don't use is the best gun related choice I continue to make. I've regretted one or two, but overall its the way

Ive regretted almost every gun I've sold. Except AKs. AKs are trash.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Miso Beno posted:

Ive regretted almost every gun I've sold. Except AKs. AKs are trash.

Ironically selling an AK is the one I do regret.

Except that I bought an engagement ring with the proceeds and that worked out pretty well.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ironically selling an AK is the one I do regret.

Except that I bought an engagement ring with the proceeds and that worked out pretty well.

They were both WASRs and I converted one into a Nazi Hipower and $200 and the other into an Inglis Hipower and $200.

THANKS OBAMA.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

If I had to sell something in my collection it would probably be my first Mosin... which I could probably sell for three times what I bought it for.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I miss my GP1975 AK, but I converted it into getting the gently caress out of Kansas.

When I think about everything that happened when I got to Nashville, I think it might have been a mistake.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Miso Beno posted:

They were both WASRs and I converted one into a Nazi Hipower and $200 and the other into an Inglis Hipower and $200.

THANKS OBAMA.

Lol same rifle and same time.

Thanks Obama indeed.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

A guy from Armslist is offering me an IBM M1 carbine in trade, it looks good in photos so I’m going to check it out. Is there anything in particular I need to look out for? Once you get past “that’s an m1 carbine” I don’t know anything about them

edit: disregard, I did my googles and thread searches and am an internet expert now.

Forum Hussy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 7, 2020

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

glynnenstein posted:

Your only spare? The mechanic in me says absolutely keep a spare; a week or a month after you toss an old part to clear a shelf the running one breaks and you're shopping. One to go and one to show.

This. If you had a few of them I could see it, but one extra? Keep it. At a couple hundred bucks, that's money that's easy enough to save up if you need to anyways.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

for you arisaka lovers,

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868942963

that seems quite reasonably priced?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Honestly any milsurp sub $400 is a good price, excluding vanilla M91/30s.

No mum and the wood and metal have seen better days but are intact and it hasn't been bubba'd. If youre in the market for a shooter Arisaka that would be a good get.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

holy poo poo, mishaco of all people has a vid on what this rifle appears to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO_MP-rwHlQ

it being a last ditch rifle makes me pretty leery about it. i figured it was rough but uhhh ehhh

then again, the serial number doesn't match Mishaco's figure and the barrel band is maybe the wrong type. HMMMM

MadBimber fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

My service grade CMP 1911 came in - Ithaca 1911a1 frame with a Remington slide. Anyone here knowledgable about shipping dates and/or what some of these markings mean?