Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Fearless posted:

That's pretty typical for almost all milsurp bolt actions isn't it?

Just seemed like more than my 03a3 and 1917. No big deal though, the gun feels solid.

Edit: Since we're on a new page. I couldn't resist also going after a Chilean 7mm 1935 Mauser at auction. Should hopefully be getting that in the next couple weeks.

TheAsterite fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Nasty Old Randy posted:

I dont have a c&r and im too lazy to deal with CMP nonsense, but my local gunshop has a decent fairly noncrusty Garand for $1000. Is this an acceptable rate for lazy impacient people? If i had to grade it it would probably be CMP non-crust grade or NRA very non-crust.

If you're comfortable paying a $350 premium for your laziness, go for it.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

Auction pics of what I won. Seems like South American Mausers are still somewhat underappreciated, and especially this one with only a 10K manufacture run.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Were they nitre bluing small parts on rifles back then? It sure looks like a few parts were. That's awesome looking in any case.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Swedish Mausers from around the turn of the century have nitre blued bolt release levers like that, it's really neat.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Sten Freak posted:

Were they nitre bluing small parts on rifles back then?

Yep. Pistols too.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

That's easily one of the best looking South American Mausers I've seen in a while. Glad you got one that didn't get left in the jungle to rot for three decades.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

I picked up one of my (rather common) unicorns. An allegedly-unfired 1955 Polish Mosin M44.

Looking forward to shooting it once and never, ever letting anyone touch it for another 65 years. You may notice in the buttstock picture there's a bit of discoloration - that is my dog's outline when he laid his jowls down on it. Impressive how quickly it ate away at whatever it's sealed in; I'll likely put on a coat of tung oil or whatever else I have hanging around for my guitars.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I picked up one of my (rather common) unicorns. An allegedly-unfired 1955 Polish Mosin M44.

I saw two of these at different tables at the last gun show I attended. Unfired? Maybe. Definitely like-new condition at least. So likely a batch of of these made their way to the market recently.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

If that's unfired, I've got a bridge to sell you.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

That's a beauty.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for yours and is there something significant about a 1955 model as opposed to others?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

TheAsterite posted:

Auction pics of what I won. Seems like South American Mausers are still somewhat underappreciated, and especially this one with only a 10K manufacture run.

Extremely nice! My Carabineros de Chile rifle was a steal, too. It seems crazy to me for a banner, plus you get the forgotten weapons vid that goes with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGRBElqa-bc

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Leave the tung oil off that mosin if you care about keeping it looking that way.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Crossposting from the 1911 thread

Looking at the CMP forums and somebody got this as a CMP 1911 (not my pics).

The couple posts on it on the CMP forum suggest a match pistol that got worn to the point they recycled it into parts for a service pistol, or some type of special operations modification per somebody who encountered similar on special forces people returning from Grenada or Panama. I love weird poo poo like that and it's one of the reasons I find buying sight unseen surplus so cool.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

glynnenstein posted:

Extremely nice! My Carabineros de Chile rifle was a steal, too. It seems crazy to me for a banner, plus you get the forgotten weapons vid that goes with it.

Ironically I probably lowered the collectible price on those :downsgun:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Somebody Awful posted:

I bet running a patch down the barrel would tell you real quick :v:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

I Demand Food posted:

That's a beauty.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for yours and is there something significant about a 1955 model as opposed to others?

I paid $900 CDN, which is about average for what they're going for up here. I see on gunpost another for that, and one for about $1300. One went for just over $600 and that's the lowest I've seen in my time looking.

quote:

Yeah I have no real illusions about a two-owner gun actually staying unfired. But it's in great shape at any rate.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I paid $900 CDN, which is about average for what they're going for up here. I see on gunpost another for that, and one for about $1300. One went for just over $600 and that's the lowest I've seen in my time looking.

Yeah I have no real illusions about a two-owner gun actually staying unfired. But it's in great shape at any rate.

More like no military gun stays unfired. Number of owners post military is pretty moot.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

TheAsterite posted:

3rd milsurp so far, an 8mm Yugo m24/52c, which I think is a Yugo reworked vz24. Bolt is really smooth, with a fair amount of wobble when fully to the rear, but the lockup is good.

That looks real nice! I'm fairly positive that I have some mismatched parts going on with my m24/47, thanks to Cyrano's keen eye. Good to know other Yugos don't have my problem.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Cyrano4747 posted:

More like no military gun stays unfired. Number of owners post military is pretty moot.

Yep. My Polish M44 looked great on the outside despite being shot enough to darken the bore.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

PSA for any of you who only look at your bookmarks, we've got another baller McNally civil war gun thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912627

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5fO14v0tgg

On one hand, more milsurp. On the other hand, more milsurp from I.O. and Classic.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Somebody Awful posted:

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5fO14v0tgg

On one hand, more milsurp. On the other hand, more milsurp from I.O. and Classic.

Surplus that has passed through many hands is my catnip. Gonna be a real test of following my own dont buy from classic rule.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Not in a great spot to watch the video. What's the TL;DR on it? Anything interesting coming in?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not in a great spot to watch the video. What's the TL;DR on it? Anything interesting coming in?
Notes from skimming it:

- 8 years working on these imports from Africa
- One batch in more to come
- Mentioned basically any common rifle you can think of and some odd balls and prototypes, stuff they'd never even seen before

E:
"last cache of original Mausers in the world, untouched" (original finishes all matching etc)
"treasure trove"

Pictures of piles of guns stacked up in a warehouse with goats standing on them and stuff
basically tons of guns

E2:
I've been hearing about the last X types of guns for decades now and someone later will root out a pile of them from somewhere in the globe. But this does appear to be a rather large interesting haul

Sten Freak fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 30, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hopefully it goes to more retailers than just Classic!

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

The importer gives his email address in the vid. Maybe some pleading to use another distributor than classic and why would help but I don't know why they use them.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

I hope AIM gets some so I don't have to give classic any money. Not that AIM is much better, but at least they won't try to screw you on prices after you've already placed your order.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

It's been a while since I've bought from them but AIM has always been tops to me. They tend to get the cream of any large batch, are honest and are easy to exchange with.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, been a while for me too but I've not had any negative experiences with AIM either. They've always seemed basically reliable.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

Sorry, that was more in relation to their general politicin' as relayed to me in the Racism etc thread. As far customer service, they were cool.

In other news, I paid for the M1 today over the phone on my lunch break. They said they hope to ship next week.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Had a lovely day but noticed that a dude in the small town I happened to be in was selling this for cheap. So gently caress it, I now have a Jungle Carbine.

The wood is extremely pretty and pops. At some point someone put a beautiful hard, glossy coat on it.

The markings seem legit, and it's matching but for the magazine. The sights are proper No.5s. Everything matches up with the comparison pics to confirm it's definitely not a hosed-with No.4.

So what's wrong with it you may ask? loving Bubba'd barrel end somewhere in its lifetime.

Bore looks good, barrel overall is solid, but with no flash hider I'm looking forward to it making GBS threads fire or some other horrible mishap.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Had a lovely day but noticed that a dude in the small town I happened to be in was selling this for cheap. So gently caress it, I now have a Jungle Carbine.

The wood is extremely pretty and pops. At some point someone put a beautiful hard, glossy coat on it.

The markings seem legit, and it's matching but for the magazine. The sights are proper No.5s. Everything matches up with the comparison pics to confirm it's definitely not a hosed-with No.4.

So what's wrong with it you may ask? loving Bubba'd barrel end somewhere in its lifetime.

Bore looks good, barrel overall is solid, but with no flash hider I'm looking forward to it making GBS threads fire or some other horrible mishap.

Sucks about the bubbaing but I'd still toss it in the truck for loving around. It's already harmed, enjoy the fireballs and feel no guilt about knocking it around.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I got a pretty much perfect jungle carbine from ria all matching. I shot it once, cleaned it, put it in the safe, and grabbed some bubbaed to gently caress no1mk3 (i think) for like 150 to shoot instead. The markings on the spoeterized one i got are all sorts of odd.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

SMLEs have a much thinner barrel than No. 4s and 5s. They rely on their full length stocks and nose-caps to minimize barrel flex and when these are removed their accuracy is noticeably affected.

drizzle
Jul 6, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

Any pro tips on making it easier to pull the bolt on my mosin back after firing? Cycles fine with blanks and whatnot but it's pretty difficult to pull back to eject the casing after firing. Just clean the poo poo out of it some more?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

drizzle posted:

Any pro tips on making it easier to pull the bolt on my mosin back after firing? Cycles fine with blanks and whatnot but it's pretty difficult to pull back to eject the casing after firing. Just clean the poo poo out of it some more?

I'm sorry. It's been almost a decade since I've seen that joke in the forums. I'll let someone useful say useful things now. :downs:

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

drizzle posted:

Yeah get in there hard and deep with some solvent and a good stiff brush, shine a flashlight in to make sure you're not missing any spots. There's likely a few spots of old Cosmo or general gunk.

drizzle
Jul 6, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

Captain Log posted:

I'm sorry. It's been almost a decade since I've seen that joke in the forums. I'll let someone useful say useful things now. :downs:

Boot worked pretty good too :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Another mosin used to be my favorite version of that joke