Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

drizzle posted:

Any pro tips on making it easier to pull the bolt on my mosin back after firing? Cycles fine with blanks and whatnot but it's pretty difficult to pull back to eject the casing after firing. Just clean the poo poo out of it some more?

I had a very stuck bolt on a 44 after i made the error of grounding it by throwing it like a spear (bayonet extended) into the ground when i went on to shoot something else. Used my nagant revolver as a hammer. Worked like a charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

new box thread with a bit of a history digression

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/855531106

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What's wrong with that picture? I'm not seeing anything.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What's wrong with that picture? I'm not seeing anything.

Suomis aren't side-chargers.

Also I love the price that it's being put up at.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ah, I thought it was something to do with the rear sight. I didn't think about that. Why would you change that as part of the closed bolt conversion, anyway?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ah, I thought it was something to do with the rear sight. I didn't think about that. Why would you change that as part of the closed bolt conversion, anyway?

You wouldn't. Closed bolt converted Suomis run with the rear charger same as the full autos.

This is someone who "improved" his gun.

edit: also notice that the cut out for the side charger isn't exactly straight and uniform. This wasn't done on a mill.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well I did once see a guy who made his own mill out of 2x4s and set it on a kitchen table, so maybe that mill.

Not sure if this would go better in the general thread or here, but if I wanted an Australian gun, are there any options aside from Lee-Enfields and the modern bolt-actions that Lithgow makes? Excluding FA Owen Guns It's probably not a "soon" thing, but I realized that at this point I have a gun from every continent except Australia, Asia, and Antarctica, but the last one doesn't really count due to a lack of industry in the area for some reason. There's plenty of options for Asia between Howa, pre-ban Norinco, Daewoo, most of Russia, or some of Turkey, but Australia seems like it never really had much of a firearms industry.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Australia made a version of the L1A1 - dunno if the parts kits ever made it to the US though.

I've got a Lithgow SMLE. It's an OK rifle, for an enfield. That's probably the way to go if you want to get it done on the cheap-ish.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Australia made a version of the L1A1 - dunno if the parts kits ever made it to the US though.

I've got a Lithgow SMLE. It's an OK rifle, for an enfield. That's probably the way to go if you want to get it done on the cheap-ish.

Note that Australian SMLEs can have some really loving garbage, soft wood on the stocks. Coachwood I think it's called? Cracks easily.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

I gotta say, that charging handle may really be an improvement. The rear charging mechanism on the closed bolt conversion is so terribly awkward to charge and it can interfere with the hold. The receiver is stout so the cut isn't going to hurt anything. The TNW gun I had was a turd though. I'm biased.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sten Freak posted:

I gotta say, that charging handle may really be an improvement. The rear charging mechanism on the closed bolt conversion is so terribly awkward to charge and it can interfere with the hold. The receiver is stout so the cut isn't going to hurt anything. The TNW gun I had was a turd though. I'm biased.

Eh, it wasn't a fun semi conversion, I'll give you that. Still, to my mind the point of a semi conversion of a SMG isn't to be a practical firearm. It's a range toy and a historical curiosity. I don't recall the rear charger sticking out all that bad, and it's a feature on the regular SMG version too.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

The handle is so drat hard to pull. TNW messed around with the guts of the FCG a couple times. I think mine was the 2nd iteration of it so I may have had one of the more difficult ones to pull. I know the original SMG charged from the rear but I'd bet the resistance wasn't nearly so much due to open bolt design. The conversion meant you are trying to compress a stiff spring (springs?) a short distance. It sucked.

The other problem was disassembly/reassembly was a total pain. Mine had trouble running from the start and after taking it apart and back together stopped working. I just sold it as a project after sending it back twice. The front sight wasn't visible when the rear was set to 0 (lowest, whatever that was). It was a lemon in an already a bad, bad conversion. I'd say it's easily the worst gun I've ever bought and made me decide to steer clear of closed bolt conversions of open bolt guns no matter how tempted. /rant

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I never even stripped my TNW Suomi before I sold it. It was a nightmare to try to get apart.

I agree with Sten Freak that the side charger isn't necessarily a bad idea for something like the KP/-31 if you don't care about historical value (then again, why would own one if you didn't?), but this one just looked really sketchy.

One day I'll own a transferable full auto Suomi

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DrPop posted:

the side charger isn't necessarily a bad idea for something like the KP/-31 if you don't care about historical value (then again, why would own one if you didn't?),

This is the crux of it for me. The only reason to own a semi surplus kit smg is because of what it is. If you just want a PCC there are always going to be far better options than a kludge to make a historic parts kit ATF acceptable.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

I agree. If only the registry weren't closed. I believe if you really, really want a historical subgun sell any guns you can, and scrimp and save until you can buy a real one because the semis have so many shortcomings. The Suomi just reaffirmed this for me. An exception to the rule is the UZI. They are fine semis in every way except the protruding barrel which can be dealt with via a stamp.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I've got an Australian parts kit L1A1 on a century receiver so they are around. I also previously owned some American or English built revolvers that went to Australia as lend lease if that counts - you can find S&W 2nd Model Hand Ejectors and Enfield No. 2s marked properly although how hard they are to find is another matter.

If it were me tho I'd try and find an old WW1 Lithgow SMLE, got that Gallipoli cred and it's a good excuse to own an SMLE.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Mostly I've only run into issues with the drum mags on my Suomi (which isn't without historical precedent). That and the trigger is heavy as hell in particular since it's the earlier striker style. I did manage to improve it by smoothing out the fcg parts. They had some pretty rough parkerizing with a lot of surface area in contact with one another. If you just try to cock held at your side they're pretty tough, but brace it against your shoulder/bicep and you get good leverage.

At the time they were a fairly affordable PCC when the closest option was the Keltec Sub2000. Added benefit of the mags being preban here in NY until SAFE screwed that up. I keep meaning to get a spare barrel shroud to bolt on a small bit of rail and a red dot.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Got my renewed C&R. Total turnaround was 17 days.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Suomis aren't side-chargers.

Funnily enough the Soviets made a simplified Suomi copy with that side-charging arrangement, because it was the siege of Leningrad and the prevailing mood was AY BLYAT NEMTSY and they needed guns now, but everything else about that gun is terrible. I especially love the [SA] and serial in a wrong, too-big font and the way the end cap isn't even screwed on right.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Some Lithgow L1A1s made it in, along with some Austen parts and accessories and at least a few Owen kits, I'm pretty sure.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

1,769,XXX is June 1943 if the internet is to be believed. Springfield #2 should arrive by noon tomorrow.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

I had an opportunity to shoot my Mosin M44 and Enfield Jungle last weekend, and here are my thoughts:
The Mosin is accurate, good to handle, great sights, a perfect bolt, the fireballs are a hoot...and jesus loving christ it's loud. So loud that I lost my hearing in my left ear despite wearing protection on my second shot and had to double up. I had a close look at the insides before shooting and it did in fact look unfired; there were no indications of cartridges ever cycling through the mechanism at any point. Pretty wild. I kept the first cartridge ever shot through it.

The Jungle is a perfect camp gun. It's light, fun to shoot, and beautiful. The sights are horrendous though and it doesn't help that the front post on mine is bubba'd (see above). I'm somewhat at a loss about how to fix them and the best solution might be just to become Bubba and get a scope mounted. Also, while I'm not wading into the debate about Wandering Zero, I had a close look at some slo-mo footage of us firing and the rear sights, when raised, wobble like loving crazy from the recoil. I wouldn't be surprised if, over time, they don't return to their original position by a fraction of a mm.

The Jungle has been named Baloo. The Mosin is still waiting for a name.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

M44s are a blast in all senses of the word. Whenever people poo poo on Mosins I just think about that incredible fun to dollar value ratio. Way more fun than the 91/30s.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Im one of the people who shits on mosins constantly and when I hear an M44 described as "accurate, great sights and a perfect bolt" i have to think - has this person ever fired another gun??? For real though it sounds like that unfired Hungarian or whatever it is, is loads better than the 1943 dated M44 I once owned, which I would rank in the bottom 5% of rifles I've ever shot. Great to handle, fireballs and fun I would agree with though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Accurate I believe but “amazing bolt” had me smiling and wanting to give him some quality time with a Mauser.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I handled a Mosin that had been made in 1905 and still had all of its old Imperial Russian markings on it. The fit and finish was quite nice, especially when compared to some of the early WW2 ones I've come across. The bolts though... none of them were that nice.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Best fit and finish on a mosin ive seen is a ww2 era sniper. Bolt actually isn’t half bad. Little jerky just from the design but the turned down handle helps a lot.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Accurate I believe but “amazing bolt” had me smiling and wanting to give him some quality time with a Mauser.

I haven't had a chance to use one, so can't compare. That being said, I've spent time with Tikkas, Rem 700s, some random low-end Savage, and a few Enfields, and this M44 is my second-favorite bolt behind Tikka generally. I took it out right now; on closing it's completely smooth until the very end, at that point it just requires a slight push forward and down to close. Feels great. This is the hill I am choosing to die on.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

I have a lot of Mosins and I would describe the throw on a few of them as being okay. Ironically I think my Chinese Mosin is the smoothest. It helps making one fluid motion if you open the bolt like you mean it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

NickBlasta posted:

I have a lot of Mosins and I would describe the throw on a few of them as being okay. Ironically I think my Chinese Mosin is the smoothest. It helps making one fluid motion if you open the bolt like you mean it.

Once I get back from Europe we should get together for a milsurp shoot. I know we live near each other because you always trying to camp your Pokémon at my local gym.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Hi weird south sound Milsurp gun weirdos.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Miso Beno posted:

Hi weird south sound Milsurp gun weirdos.

I thought I smelled something. Heya Beno

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

Stumbled on something interesting. LTC is claiming this is clandestinely produced 9mm ammo with misleading headstamps, made in Canada for the US.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4360&idcategory=0

I found a little info on it here:

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/canadian-7-92mm-and-9mm-hdstmps/6926

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

I thought I smelled something. Heya Beno

Ghosts don't smell, you're thinking of zombies.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Tacoma based ghosts have an aroma.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Long-time experts in the field of paranormal eliminations disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmy-4QC0U0g#t=28s

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

LingcodKilla posted:

Once I get back from Europe we should get together for a milsurp shoot. I know we live near each other because you always trying to camp your Pokémon at my local gym.

Ok

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

boxen posted:

Long-time experts in the field of paranormal eliminations disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmy-4QC0U0g#t=28s

You can't smell ghosts per se, it's all of the ghost cum ectoplasm they leave on physical surfaces as we pass through them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Miso Beno posted:

You can't smell ghosts per se, it's all of the ghost cum ectoplasm they leave on physical surfaces as we pass through them.

The aroma of spooky tacoma.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

The new (to me) M1 is here! A box post by me.

So this thing has been at my house since about noon EST.

Look at it. Just sitting there. Hmm... looks a little bigger than the last one. Oh well, let's cut to the chase.

I really need to get a bayonet for this kind of work.

Huh, that's new. A lot less tan than last time.

Oh dang. This thing is the Cadillac of platic hardcases.

I thought they said there would be pitting, this thing looks almost as good as the field grade I bought last year.

Alas, theres goo on the bolt. The gunk feels kind of like crayon residue, probably a dry lubricant of some kind?

Anyway, it's a perfect mixmaster. The floorplate and latch are H&R, the receiver is SA, and the barrel is brand new. I'm super pleased with it so far. Now to get it out to a range. Almost forgot, it came with a sling! Also, I have a gas plug on the way. The other M1 will be moving to the back of the safe to sit for probaly about 16 years, till the boy is old enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

That's dried up cosmoline residue, basically the heavier waxier stuff like paraffins in the grease that didn't run off with the lighter stuff.