Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Wifi Toilet posted:

Wow, less than a month! Got my C&R in the mail yesterday (just in time for the Rock Island auction this week, oh god) so tell me how to use it.

I know about the bound book and have downloaded some templates, but I've seen posts elsewhere saying not to sign the license and to make copies of it then sign the copies to mail out. That doesn't sound right to me, I'm thinking I need to sign the original and photocopies of that should be acceptable to mail out. I think some sellers even accept emailed pictures of the C&R?

What info do I need to get from the seller? It looks like I only need to enter an FFL or driver's license if I sell something, so if I'm the buyer I just need a name and address of the seller correct?

On the two uses of my C&R so far, all I had to do was make the online purchase as normal and provide the seller with a PDF copy of my C&R license (made by signing the physical copy and then scanning it). My PDF includes my ID just in case they need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Wifi Toilet posted:

Wow, less than a month! Got my C&R in the mail yesterday (just in time for the Rock Island auction this week, oh god) so tell me how to use it.

I know about the bound book and have downloaded some templates, but I've seen posts elsewhere saying not to sign the license and to make copies of it then sign the copies to mail out. That doesn't sound right to me, I'm thinking I need to sign the original and photocopies of that should be acceptable to mail out. I think some sellers even accept emailed pictures of the C&R?

What info do I need to get from the seller? It looks like I only need to enter an FFL or driver's license if I sell something, so if I'm the buyer I just need a name and address of the seller correct?

If you're going to be sending a physical copy of your license, it needs a real signature and can't be a copy. Don't sign the original, sign the copies.

What I did was I made a copy, signed the copy, scanned the signed copy, then used that for anything where a .pdf was fine. Every now and then, though, you run into someone who wants a physical copy.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Yeah, I've used the .pdf method twice and the physical copy once. The CMP wants a physical copy mailed in with your order form and other information. In my experience, online retailers will take a .pdf and gunbroker auctions are kind of a toss up. The pawn shop that sold me a mauser were cool with an emailed .pdf.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

McNally posted:

If you're going to be sending a physical copy of your license, it needs a real signature and can't be a copy. Don't sign the original, sign the copies.

What I did was I made a copy, signed the copy, scanned the signed copy, then used that for anything where a .pdf was fine. Every now and then, though, you run into someone who wants a physical copy.

OK, so your original copy remains unsigned in case you ever need to make more blank copies?

e: great, thanks! VVVVVV

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 10, 2020

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Yep.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

It looks like I found some pictures from 2008 from the only goldmined thread I ever had...

I might need to make that thread again. These are my best buddies grandfather's captured items. But I've got to find the rest of the pictures.

Family legend was he had this shoulder holster for the captured Luger made for combat.

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty

I really hope somone else gets those lovely Spanish mausers Classic has. As an Espanaphile lovely spanish guns are VERY much my thing.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Speaking of Spanish Mausers does this look legit? I'm intrigued. https://www.gunpost.ca/firearms/rifles/city-toronto/polish-mauser-wz29e-spanish-civil-war

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty

People often claim Polish Mausers that have the Polish markings milled off are Spanish Civil War guns, but its alot harder to prove who removed a marking than who added one.
I have no idea if Republican Spain even milled them off at all, i'm stupid and should not be listened to

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Something seems off about that. The lack of markings and polish/finish of the metal is weird to me.

Good looking Mauser otherwise.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Nasty Old Randy posted:

I really hope somone else gets those lovely Spanish mausers Classic has. As an Espanaphile lovely spanish guns are VERY much my thing.

Spanish Mausers are all over Gunbroker. Mostly sporterized M93s and clapped out M1916s, but also the odd M43 or un-bubba'd M93.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Post ITT if someone finds one with No Pasaran carved into the stock, tia.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Iíd be skeptical of any claim like that myself. Every time a gun with scrubbed markings comes up itís always some kind of secret squirrel poo poo or shady military aid or whatever. Also that gun looks way too clean and I ducked to have gone through a bad civil war then storage in Francoís Spain. Just look at how the typical FR7 looks.

My guess is it was stock that communist Poland inherited after WW2 and they scrubbed the old crest because it was a symbol of the previous regime. Yugoslavia did something similar with old Mausers too. That would also explain the excellent condition itís in. Probably refurbed at the same time like how the Soviets prettied up their old mosins before storage in case they were ever needed as a third line rifle for WW3. Leave it in a warehouse for a few decades of Cold War and here we are.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

FWIW Poland did sell a shitload of guns to the Spanish Republicans, including Mausers and 7.92mm BARs. The story I usually hear is that Poland scrubbed the Wz 29s before shipping them, but

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Sure but what are the chances any of those came out of afucked up civil war looking pristine? Or the subsequent years in Spain, a country that was broke as gently caress and using every weapon on hand for everything from the military to police?

Crests get scrubbed for lots of reasons and everyone always claims soMe awesome provenance where itís a cool part of history and not something that sat in a warehouse.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Iím not saying itís impossible but Iím always very skeptical of any unverifiable history. Buy the gun, not the story.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

Thanks for the insight everyone.

Nasty Old Randy
Sep 5, 2017

Im Nasty

Somebody Awful posted:

Spanish Mausers are all over Gunbroker.

Last time I looked they were all rotting and nasty or 1500+.

I see several nice m48s right now for under 500 .

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

And speaking of guns with cool stories, Rock Island has an SSG-82 up on the block tomorrow. Shame about how much it would cost to get it into Canada.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012

Crosspost from the AK thread:

Does anyone have any experience rebuilding an SKS bolt? My firing pin was bent, so I needs new one, definitely a new extractor spring, and the retaining pin looks worse for wear, too. The bolt body and extractor claw seem fine. Gun is an M 59/66.

Also, it has had a bent front sight hood since I bought it, would heat + pliers help, or is there a better way?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Cool FW video on Ethiopian-contract FN Mausers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1LbEyl8v3I

Interesting shot at the end: these have been imported to the US by IO Inc (yes, that IO Inc). They're currently listed on their site. The listing says the only way to purchase them is to email em. I sent an email in yesterday, going to try to call.

If anyone manages to connect with IO about these rifles, please lemme know.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

DrPop posted:

Cool FW video on Ethiopian-contract FN Mausers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1LbEyl8v3I

Interesting shot at the end: these have been imported to the US by IO Inc (yes, that IO Inc). They're currently listed on their site. The listing says the only way to purchase them is to email em. I sent an email in yesterday, going to try to call.

If anyone manages to connect with IO about these rifles, please lemme know.

They sold the vast majority to Classic, unfortunately. Ian had an interview with the IO guy and he said they were keeping the best for themselves to sell.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Buy the gun, not the story.

This should be in the OP.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Mambo No. 5 posted:

They sold the vast majority to Classic, unfortunately. Ian had an interview with the IO guy and he said they were keeping the best for themselves to sell.

PissssssssSSSSSsssss

gently caress ME if im gonna buy a rifle for $1200 from Classic https://www.classicfirearms.com/ethiopian-fn-mauser-bolt-action-rare/

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Yeah if they're going that high I'm comfortable continuing to not buy from classic.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

loving lol at that price.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also another box thread incoming. Good month for guns

Gewehr 43
Aug 25, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

loving lol at that price.

B...but...but they're a "must have for any Mauser collector!"

Edit: can I pay an extra hand pick fee to get one with Ben's sweaty handprint on it?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI8K94lMHRE

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

If they let me in there, my fingerprints would be on every single item.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

If they let me in there, my fingerprints would be on every single item.

Same, except I'd mushroom stamp them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gewehr 43 posted:

B...but...but they're a "must have for any Mauser collector!"

Edit: can I pay an extra hand pick fee to get one with Ben's sweaty handprint on it?

See, I kind of get what they're going for. Ethiopian mausers aren't super common in the US and there's a certain type of collector who is going to really want them. Here's the thing, though: That's a niche loving group. Like, being so into Mausers that you want ones from Ethiopia is diving way down that rabbit hole.

Ultimately there are two components to price: supply and demand. If you have something that's rare and in high demand you'll get a huge price. But if there is low to zero demand it could be rare as gently caress and no one will pay a premium for it. There's a huge collector's market (as far as these things go) for German mausers. Lots of war nerds etc that want those. A completely unremarkable bolt mismatch K98k can go for north of $1k easy, and that's a gun that was made in the millions. Meanwhile a loving pristine DWM manufactured S. American mauser might be lucky to pull $600 - and that's assuming it's goddamned spotless.

Maybe they're better salesmen than I think and they've got a mailing list of gullible lawyers and doctors who are ready to shell out for anything, but I really don't think there's enough of a demand to charge those kinds of collectors prices for.

Also I love that they say the guns are identical to the K98k in the description when a cursory glance at the two guns says they're not.

Oh an they spelled Czech "check"

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

My father was searching for milsurp videos recently and came across their youtube channel. He asked me if I ever heard of Classic firearms and said "They seem like a bunch of buffoons."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Cyrano4747 posted:

a mailing list of gullible lawyers and doctors who are ready to shell out for anything, but I really don't think there's enough of a demand to charge those kinds of collectors prices for.
There's clearly enough of a market of people who can afford Classic's silly prices and who don't know/don't want to know other ways to get guns (gunbroker, for example). They get the email, they say "oh neat, an Ethiopian Mauser" and don't bother to google how much they should be. And then they sell out in hours/days.

We're mostly turbonerds who enjoy the looking and finding, which a lot of people clearly don't.

Edited for more thoughts: Look at magazines aimed at middle aged+ men. There's always ads for "collectable" poo poo in there that is more than market prices (coins, for example. Or random arrowheads and roman poo poo). Classic is just this but for guns. For low information people who see something "neat" and can't be hosed to learn more.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 12, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

stealie72 posted:

There's clearly enough of a market of people who can afford Classic's silly prices and who don't know/don't want to know other ways to get guns (gunbroker, for example). They get the email, they say "oh neat, an Ethiopian Mauser" and don't bother to google how much they should be. And then they sell out in hours/days.

We're mostly turbonerds who enjoy the looking and finding, which a lot of people clearly don't.

Edited for more thoughts: Look at magazines aimed at middle aged+ men. There's always ads for "collectable" poo poo in there that is more than market prices (coins, for example. Or random arrowheads and roman poo poo). Classic is just this but for guns. For low information people who see something "neat" and can't be hosed to learn more.

You're right, but damned if I can find the angle on this one.

Like. . . Mitchell's Mausers is exactly what you are describing. Put an add in NRA mags and sell a humped RC K98k or Yugo mauser as a "just discovered warehouse of Nazi mausers." Middle aged gun dad reading the mag thinks nazi guns are cool, knows the third reich, and wants a piece of that. Presto, you just sold him a RC K98k for 5x what it's worth.

Same with indian arrow heads and roman coins. My dad loved old westerns as a kid and would totally fall for the arrowheads. My father in law is a history dork and would absolutely mail order some old roman coin for 4x its actual value because he doesn't know the actual cost and "hey, it's a coin like Jesus might have used."

But Ethiopian mausers? Does NRA-mag dad really give that much of a poo poo about Ethiopia?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

You're right, but damned if I can find the angle on this one.

Like. . . Mitchell's Mausers is exactly what you are describing. Put an add in NRA mags and sell a humped RC K98k or Yugo mauser as a "just discovered warehouse of Nazi mausers." Middle aged gun dad reading the mag thinks nazi guns are cool, knows the third reich, and wants a piece of that. Presto, you just sold him a RC K98k for 5x what it's worth.

Same with indian arrow heads and roman coins. My dad loved old westerns as a kid and would totally fall for the arrowheads. My father in law is a history dork and would absolutely mail order some old roman coin for 4x its actual value because he doesn't know the actual cost and "hey, it's a coin like Jesus might have used."

But Ethiopian mausers? Does NRA-mag dad really give that much of a poo poo about Ethiopia?

"This rifle was used in the arc of the covenant protection detail"

drizzle
Jul 6, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hipster Boomer fudds would

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS-b2JlnKXE

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Just came here to post this.

Makes me wish I had gotten back to RIA when they contacted me about putting my Murata 18 Cavalry Carbine up for auction this round, maybe could have gotten lucky like this haha

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I love the M1 Carbine but always gotta be something up with it at the range. First, the rear sight began again sliding out of the dovetail despite loctite and shims. It did it slowly enough that it was not loose when I checked it, but sure enough shifted a large amount while shooting. Led to endlessly infuriating shots at my 6 inch gong on the 100, where for a mag I'd get clang clang clang then suddenly I was missing. Guess the Ultimak rail and a micro are going back on. Also, I've noticed significant wear on my magazines (pictured below), the worst is pictured. These are all USGI magazines, I believe this one was new in wrapper before I got my grubby mits on it. I hadn't noticed before tossing in the Wolff extra power magazine springs (in an effort to fix the incredibly frustrating reliability issues) but no idea if that's related or just timing. On the plus side, both Wolf steel case and the Korean surplus .30 carbine didn't cause any new issues. On the plus side, it was a beautiful day in the mountains, and I scored a dirt cheap pelican case (already cut for a shotgun, but I was able to make enough use of the foam in there that I don't need to run out and buy a new section).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yup, that mag's toast unless you wanna get welding on it. I've got one that did that too.

On the other hand I have a bunch of others that are just fine. I don't know if it was one of those defects where it would just poo poo the bed as soon as it was used or what. I suspect something like that, as my mag that has that problem looks loving pristine and I've got some beat to gently caress ones that are running strong. I suspect poorly heat treated metal or something.