Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

what is going on

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

Miso Beno posted:

what is going on

Some dudes added on an extended barrel and shot .38 special out of their hipoint.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

how is that the hipoint's fault then?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Proč bychom se netěšili když nám Pán Bůh zdraví dá?

Jeez by extended barrel do you mean a length of copper water pipe?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

hipoint bad, therefore

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Dick Burglar posted:

hipoint bad, therefore

Is that yours? Always wanted a katana. Something decent-ish, not like coldsteel or crap but I also dont want to spend like 2k.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Super 3 posted:

Is that yours? Always wanted a katana. Something decent-ish, not like coldsteel or crap but I also dont want to spend like 2k.

Yes. It's not a "real sword" though, it's an iaito, a practice sword used in iaido. The blade is aluminum-zinc alloy instead of steel. You can't sharpen its edge, you'd just destroy it if you tried. As such, it's not regulated as a weapon, so you can legally possess it in Japan without any licensing or paperwork. Not that I live in Japan, but if I ever go for an iaido-related thing, I could bring my iaito.

Depending on what you want, you can get a katana for a few hundred bucks. Hanwei, Dynasty Forge, and Swords of Northshire are three makers that I'm aware of that are like $200-600 and are perfectly adequate quality. I know there are others, too, I just can't think of them off the top of my allergy-addled mind at the moment. Most makers in that price range are made in the Longquan region of China, rather than being ~true Nippon steel~, but that doesn't mean they're bad. As far as I know, most Longquan smiths make good stuff, if a bit rough around the edges/lacking some of the fine touches of the higher-end makers. If you just want a sword you can swing around and cut up water bottles and poo poo with, they should work just fine.

Edit: this iaito cost roughly double what my "real" katana cost. I paid roughly $400 for my Swords of Northshire odachi, and I paid over $800 for my Japanese-made iaito. To be fair, it is a very nice iaito, despite what the chewed-up bit on the tsuba might make it look like.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 14, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

And let's not forget that traditional Japanese swordmaking is only like that because they had absolute poo poo for iron and all the folding is accounting for poor quality. A modern swordsmith with good steel can easily produce a sword that's better than a 17th century heirloom was when it was brand new for a fraction of the cost. The hardness will actually be consistent across the entire blade!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Modern homogeneous steel owns. But yeah, Japanese swordsmithing wasn't some mystical Super-Secret Technique!!!, it was an adaptation to un-loving some really loving terrible raw materials. That said, differential hardening is not unique to Japan and it's also not just a "terrible iron" thing. If you want an edge you can hone the poo poo out of, it does what it's supposed to. Is it overall less practical for a sword than spring-tempered steel? Yes, but that's not what they were going for (because they couldn't do it with local iron), so it's not really fair to compare the two.

Edit: not sure why that one came out rotated 90 degrees, it showed up normally when I saved it to my desktop. My bad?

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 14, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

chitoryu12 posted:

And let's not forget that traditional Japanese swordmaking is only like that because they had absolute poo poo for iron and all the folding is accounting for poor quality. A modern swordsmith with good steel can easily produce a sword that's better than a 17th century heirloom was when it was brand new for a fraction of the cost. The hardness will actually be consistent across the entire blade!

It makes me unspeakably happy to not be the guy bringing that up. Thank you.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

I miss you shooting competitions... so, so much.

I want to hang with my Homies again...

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I started gearing up to actually do competitions this year, and now they will of course not be happening.

Even tactiloled my WASR

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Dot time, might gently caress around later and look into low powered scopes from PA, something like a 1-4 or 1-6

I wish Ranger Point Precision offered their lightened loading gate in that nice blue they use for their followers

Black looks good but their blue is just so nice!

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

my ar seeds grew into a thing

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Dot time, might gently caress around later and look into low powered scopes from PA, something like a 1-4 or 1-6

I wish Ranger Point Precision offered their lightened loading gate in that nice blue they use for their followers

Black looks good but their blue is just so nice!

If I had money to burn (and also some more workspace), I'd love to get a Dark series 1895, a .45-70 reloading setup, and a Silencerco Hybrid 46. I don't care if it's stupid as gently caress.

edit: oh poo poo i thought this was the tacticool thread, my b

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 15, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Dick Burglar posted:

If I had money to burn (and also some more workspace), I'd love to get a Dark series 1895, a .45-70 reloading setup, and a Silencerco Hybrid 46. I don't care if it's stupid as gently caress.

Might wanna put a photo there before that rear end in a top hat mod comes along. You’re lucky that the kind, benevolent, and incredibly handsome admin saw it first.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 29, 2020

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

can you fit it over a real gas mask?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 29, 2020

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

Captain Log posted:

No Gold or Silver -

B+ at best. Please see me after class.

Not enough neon green. See me after class.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Exit Strategy posted:

i love love love the the wear on yo gat

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Exit Strategy posted:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I love this photo by the way.

And gunz

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Never posted a pic like this before, so kinda nervous...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Liam Acerbus posted:

Never posted a pic like this before, so kinda nervous...

God I love "James Bond" Walthers. Everyone has told me they are unpleasant to shoot and require small hands. But I still want one.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The Eyes Have It posted:

I love this photo by the way.

And gunz

I'm glad people get the reference.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

^^^its ART. ^^^

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

He's a can short of a six pack.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I should get a handguard that puts the mlok holes far enough forward for my hand stop to sit flush.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Built this from extra poo poo I had laying around in my parts bin and all my extra quarantine time.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dats a good looking plauge build

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 18, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Who wants to generate some ozone with me?

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I'm so bad at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU