Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

CainFortea posted:

Fallout Tactics was the best old gen fallout.

I didn't know I needed Jagged Alliance 2: Fallout until it'd already happened.

One of my fave bits about Fallout Tactics is that your starting doctor, Stitch, has poor eyesight and the Good Natured trait. Combined these two things mean he's not terribly good with guns, and that's his BEST combat skill. So you give him a shotgun to compensate. And then because he's the guy with the shotgun, he's initially your room-breaching guy. So Mr. Good Natured often has the highest kill count and regularly busts through a door and blasts someone in half with both barrels.

Another good one for being used perhaps-not-quite-as-intended; Mother. Mother's the deathclaw matriarch you can recruit along with her children. The other deathclaws are mostly a waste of time, though, compared to Mother. The probably-not-what-the-devs-intended thing is that because throwing distance is based on strength, and Mother has absurd strength, she can throw things absurd distances. Like, say, hand grenades, one of the only weapons she can use. Which means you might as well give her a whole sack of the things; she's got all the carry weight in the world and isn't spending any of it on poo poo like armor, guns, etc. And obviously anyone who decides to try to close inside the range of Mother's grenadiering gets to melee fight a deathclaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CainFortea posted:

Fallout Tactics was the best old gen fallout.

Tactics was hella fun. New Vegas still retains the title of most played hours for a FO title for me though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Good news! If you pre-order FO76 on steam they'll give you FO, FO2, and FO:Tactics for free! So you'll get three good games alongside your trash fire!

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I already have all of them. I think I got 76 out of morbid curiosity when it was stupid cheap somewhere along the way. I got maybe 20 hours of romping around a new map out of it before I put it away, which was past my "ROI" for a game.

Really sucks cause they could have done so much with the setting.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

There's a hilarious interview out there somewhere recently with either Todd or someone else high up in Bethesda talking about how truly shocked they were that people weren't interested in PvP. They had all these plans for FO76 as this sprawling PvP thing and then people were basically cooperating and doing PvE. They had no idea that when people said they wanted multiplayer fallout they meant they wanted to go do adventures with their friends, not kill each other.

If they were going to do multiplayer they should have taken a note from Borderlands. Drop in co-op where the quests etc are based on what the host's game state is.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

In Product, we call that failure to do discovery.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Got into a small argument with someone online that said that even if Fallout 76 got fixed and patched to satisfaction, people would still bitch because hivemind dogpiling or some poo poo.

I reminded them that No Man's Sky arrived on the scene in a similar fashion- broken, numerous lies during development laid bare, etc. They worked doggedly to fix the problems, and public opinion completely turned around.

So they deleted their reply thread. *shrug* good times.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's a hilarious interview out there somewhere recently with either Todd or someone else high up in Bethesda talking about how truly shocked they were that people weren't interested in PvP. They had all these plans for FO76 as this sprawling PvP thing and then people were basically cooperating and doing PvE. They had no idea that when people said they wanted multiplayer fallout they meant they wanted to go do adventures with their friends, not kill each other.

If they were going to do multiplayer they should have taken a note from Borderlands. Drop in co-op where the quests etc are based on what the host's game state is.

Fallout is pretty much a game pedigree'd in the single player experience. I remember during the early campaigning for 76 it was kind of vague or unclear how or why there was persistent online pseudo-MMO poo poo with 'mmmaybe a true single player scheduled after release some time', and something felt so off with that posture that they instantly lost me. Fallout titles for better or ill have always been a 'preorder soon as there's a SKU' type deal for me.
For them to act shocked that Fallout 76 wasn't developing all the loving pvp they hoped after release, felt like yet one more lie from them I dodged. They knew drat well they were baiting in a crowd of people with regular expectations, and figuring that when they got something they didn't ask for it'd be a pleasant surprise. Well, a handful of bug-exploiting trolls definitely got their jollies, but gently caress them for this obfuscation.

I have zero faith FO76 is going to see the kind of overhaul that turned things around for the aforementioned NMS, because admitting how wrong he got things is not Todd Howard's style.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

GOG Galaxy tells me I have Fallout Tactics. A quick search through my email tells me that I got all of the old school Fallout games for free around Christmas 2013, as part of GOG's "DRM-Free Winter Sale". I recall nothing of this. I might reinstall it and see if my brain hasn't atrophied too much in the last ~19 years to still play it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I really enjoyed Fallout Tactics, but could never get into 1 or 2.

Even doing a gimmick solo run on Tactics was great.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

^^^^^
There's just something about R Lee Ermey screaming at me to do things that just makes the game perfect.

Speaking of fallout, Table Top Simulator has Fallout Adventures. I highly recommend it, if you like board games.

Be advised it is NOT a fast game. But the cool thing about TTS is you can save the state and come back to it later.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Tactics was great cause my main dude just rolled around with a coach gun and a revolver and would just blast on folks, anyone else got laid out by my sniper buddy

also lol

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_Tactics_weapons

There was a Chauchat in Tactics?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Akion posted:

It's a shame. The concept of a Fallout MMO was like, a wet dream for years and years. Bethesda made it a wet fart.

I remember when Fallen Earth came out, it was a lovely lag fest, and from everything I've seen 76 is worse.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Memento posted:

GOG Galaxy tells me I have Fallout Tactics. A quick search through my email tells me that I got all of the old school Fallout games for free around Christmas 2013, as part of GOG's "DRM-Free Winter Sale". I recall nothing of this. I might reinstall it and see if my brain hasn't atrophied too much in the last ~19 years to still play it.

I'm just gonna give you the least spoiler-filled advice I can think of, which is think about what weapon progression might be like and start investing in skills earlier than you have access to the guns

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh hey, a targeted email from steam. I wonder if a game I want is on sale? Or maybe something I have on my watch list exited early access! Ooh I wonder what it could be.

I got that same email, probably from sinking a truly shameful number of hours into Fallout 4. I am not interested in 76 at all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I remember when micromancer said it sucked during the beta.

A fallout game losing micromancer is like a fourteen year old saying he doesnít want a blowjob. Not only is something wrong something is so profoundly wrong that you have to stop and make sure you didnít slip into a parallel universe while you werenít paying attention.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fallout Tactics was no fun.

I played fallout for the RPG, not the small team tactical hooplas.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Captain Log posted:

Fallout Tactics was no fun.

I played fallout for the RPG, not the small team tactical hooplas.

Yeah I didnít enjoy it either, I loved fallout 2 the most out of all the games and tactics while being an isometric combat based game (I think? Itís been a while) just failed to grab me at all.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Fearless posted:

I got that same email, probably from sinking a truly shameful number of hours into Fallout New Vegas. I am not interested in 76 at all.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

priznat posted:

Yeah I didnít enjoy it either, I loved fallout 2 the most out of all the games and tactics while being an isometric combat based game (I think? Itís been a while) just failed to grab me at all.

I'll admit it could have been a loving awesome squad tactics game. But for me and the whole RPG element was severely lacking, which was my favorite thing about Fallout.

Those started coming out when my age was barely in double digits.

Completed Runs -

- Fallout One - 14
- Fallout Two - 4

One of the loving funniest things you could do was roll a character with a "1" for intelligence. They actually wrote out the entire storyline with your character going, "HRRRRR! RAD! RAD SCORPIN"! UGH UGH BOOP!" While other character would say. "Jesus, you sure are dumb."

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

The Rat posted:

Oh I played Dishonored and the sequel a while back and they were decent.

Will put Prey on the watch list though!

I still cant believe how not at all hyped Prey seems as it never really hit my radar until a couple years after release. Definite good times. Needs some suspension of disbelief to really enjoy but all around I had a blast with it and would recommend it very highly. If you can find it and the DLC on sale for $20 or less you'd have to actively avoid getting your money back out of it.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I remember when micromancer said it sucked during the beta.

A fallout game losing micromancer is like a fourteen year old saying he doesnít want a blowjob. Not only is something wrong something is so profoundly wrong that you have to stop and make sure you didnít slip into a parallel universe while you werenít paying attention.

FO76 completely killed every scrap of Bethesda Apologist I had. Buddy of mine is going to dive back in because of the human NPCs and new story poo poo and I for one have zero interest in going back until items mean something. I am the player the bobblehead station was made for. I collect things. Even if I don't need them. I like objects and the harder or more obscure they are to obtain the better. No stash space and then everything is random spawn oh look heres power armor in a field for no good reason was a huge turn off for me. Not even the bugs, or quirky gameplay or lack of feeling like the game had any meaning.

How they handled everything after release day cemented them into the even I wont ignore a company being poo poo to play they games territory.

Micromancer fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 15, 2020

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Micromancer posted:

FO76 completely killed every scrap of Bethesda Apologist I had. Buddy of mine is going to dive back in because of the human NPCs and new story poo poo and I for one have zero interest in going back until items mean something. I am the player the bobblehead station was made for. I collect things. Even if I don't need them. I like objects and the harder or more obscure they are to obtain the better. No stash space and then everything is random spawn oh look heres power armor in a field for no good reason was a huge turn off for me. Not even the bugs, or quirky gameplay or lack of feeling like the game had any meaning.

How they handled everything after release day cemented them into the even I wont ignore a company being poo poo to play they games territory.

Between Fallout 4 and Fallout 76, Bethesda managed to kill my enthusiasm for Elder Scrolls 6 entirely. Bethesda magic!

Also lol that we're only even talking about this cuz of the whole "now on steam" bit with FO76. So that whole "Bethesda's gonna have its own launcher like ubisoft or EA" poo poo is as dead as FO76's playerbase, I take it?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

chairface posted:

Between Fallout 4 and Fallout 76, Bethesda managed to kill my enthusiasm for Elder Scrolls 6 entirely. Bethesda magic!

Also lol that we're only even talking about this cuz of the whole "now on steam" bit with FO76. So that whole "Bethesda's gonna have its own launcher like ubisoft or EA" poo poo is as dead as FO76's playerbase, I take it?

They'll probably give it one more try with whatever point release happens next from them. While I doubt 76 is ever getting fixed, hopefully they've taken enough notes from how the public reacted to them, so that whatever the next major release is from them, will be a better game for it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

chairface posted:

I strongly suspect that they'll keep the storefront around to try and lure people in with deals etc and it will be another authenticator running in the background with a bethesda login, like you see with Doom: Eternal and Wolf:Youngblood.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Micromancer posted:

I still cant believe how not at all hyped Prey seems as it never really hit my radar until a couple years after release. Definite good times. Needs some suspension of disbelief to really enjoy but all around I had a blast with it and would recommend it very highly. If you can find it and the DLC on sale for $20 or less you'd have to actively avoid getting your money back out of it.

I bought Prey + Mooncrash at a discount a little while ago and never even installed it. Last month, I found an eBay listing for Prey 2006 and am playing that now instead

I'll start Prey 2017 after I finish this, I promise!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I'll start Prey 2017 after I finish this, I promise!

You better!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I strongly suspect that they'll keep the storefront around to try and lure people in with deals etc and it will be another authenticator running in the background with a bethesda login, like you see with Doom: Eternal and Wolf:Youngblood.

This reminds me, remember back around Fallout 3 when Bethesda was all in on Games For Windows Live? And how even if you had a legit version of Fallout 3 you had to get a hack to bypass the GFWL thing because it literally never worked?

Bethesda really makes some great decisions!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Imagine how little effort Bethesda would have had to put into Fallout 76 to make it worth playing. People have wanted to play Fallout with their friends for how long?

But no gently caress up everything about it and then kick out a half-baked piece of poo poo and make your company look laughably loving stupid in the process.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I never want the Doom/Animal Crossing meme to ever die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4lz8MN6MQA

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Back Hack posted:

I never want the Doom/Animal Crossing meme to ever die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4lz8MN6MQA

That has some big Baby Metal vibes to it.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Receiver 2 is out. Itís basically the original game but more refined and with more guns and collectibles. Be warned that itís a memory and CPU hog on higher graphics though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

chairface posted:

So that whole "Bethesda's gonna have its own launcher like ubisoft or EA" poo poo is as dead as FO76's playerbase, I take it?

Eh, to be fair to Bethesda they said that they were never planning on making all of their games exclusive to their launcher, it was there initially to facilitate FO76 but that single player games would still be available from Steam and elsewhere. Basically, they wanted to control the Atom Store or whatever and not pay the Valve tax for cosmetic transactions.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Receiver 2 is out. Itís basically the original game but more refined and with more guns and collectibles. Be warned that itís a memory and CPU hog on higher graphics though.

I playing it for 30 minutes then asked for a refund. I enjoyed the original as it got across that gun aren't as always as easy as games or movies make it. This one got stupid and preachy and I got some real bad vibes out of some of the tapes (talking about all media = Threat and we should be preparing to fight Threat.) Also your character is dumb as gently caress and will ND themselves if you don't carry with an empty chamber.

Also you get you shoot yourself in the face if you don't manage to unload the gun fast enough.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm not a COD: Warzone player but it sounds like it is nothing but a huuuuuuge cheat/hack fest these days, which sucks. Hope they can lock it down a bit more. I suck way too much to play BR games but it's pretty fun to watch, the gun models and animations are frigging cool.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Receiver 2 seems pretty good so far, but I loved the first game too and I don't think too much about video game lore. I like that they have a hover HUD for keys critical to get back into action, like it will show the R key beside your cylinder when you're empty. Still seems to be doing the procedural generation thing, seems like the exact same loop as the first game, but that's fine because I actually like it. I wonder if there's still issues of runs eventually crashing because of too many rooms generated.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

I hate turrets as a general rule in video games, mostly because a lot of games make them really lovely and frustrating and lazy to use. And on a related note, I harped on a few times about why the first set piece in Fallout 4 was anemic and poo poo.

Literally any given mini-gun turret section in Div 2 is better. Any of them.

Just brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt and motherfuckers drop. And the sound is approximately eight thousand times better.

Also I found a lever action rifle I didn't know lever action rifles were a thing in Div 2 this owns.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah that lever action is fun as heck in Div2.. That and the M14 (classic) are two secret stars in the game.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

priznat posted:

I'm not a COD: Warzone player but it sounds like it is nothing but a huuuuuuge cheat/hack fest these days, which sucks. Hope they can lock it down a bit more. I suck way too much to play BR games but it's pretty fun to watch, the gun models and animations are frigging cool.

Ran into a few aimbot folks outside of warzone the other day. Two of 'em were using K98s which hey fun I like that too but the kill feed was a constant scroll of BlatantAimbotDipshit <Headshot Icon> Some Poor Sap. At least I didn't buy the season pass, lmao

priznat posted:

Yah that lever action is fun as heck in Div2.. That and the M14 (classic) are two secret stars in the game.

Too bad the M1A is getting nerfed as Massive still cannot understand how to balance a video game worth a poo poo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Too bad the M1A is getting nerfed as Massive still cannot understand how to balance a video game worth a poo poo.

I never even understood why there is PvP in that game really.. Do people really play that a lot? The PvE is plenty fun and being able to squad up is cool. I guess PvPers being 10% of the community do 90% of the bitching, like always

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

priznat posted:

I never even understood why there is PvP in that game really.. Do people really play that a lot? The PvE is plenty fun and being able to squad up is cool. I guess PvPers being 10% of the community do 90% of the bitching, like always

It's not because of PvP (which is an entirely different shitshow from what I hear), it's because Massive is adamant against the notion of player power fantasy. Enemies? Buff the absolute gently caress out of them. Player? Keep watering them down until someone finds a shithot build that becomes The Way To Go, everyone migrates towards it, a handful of "ugh git gud kid" types yell about it, and Massive caves to them instead of buffing lesser used equipment to encourage other builds.