Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

I wonder how many were made. It might have potential as an investment gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Craptacular posted:

Yeah apparently they break.

There is or was a repair kit available. And of course there's the Nodak replacement lower.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Somebody Awful posted:

There is or was a repair kit available. And of course there's the Nodak replacement lower.

If I had one the Nodak Spud is the way I'd go.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

You know, I'm curious. Anyone know of a BRN-180 upper being placed on a full-auto lower? Does it work?

Cloudyak
May 14, 2009

Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshal Dillon?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You know, I'm curious. Anyone know of a BRN-180 upper being placed on a full-auto lower? Does it work?

From what I have seen there isn't a sear trip on the bolt. In a month or two when my stamp clears I might see if anyone has one of those uppers for me to borrow to test it out. It would be my jam if it did though.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

According to ARFCOM, no it does not function.

Cloudyak posted:

From what I have seen there isn't a sear trip on the bolt. In a month or two when my stamp clears I might see if anyone has one of those uppers for me to borrow to test it out. It would be my jam if it did though.
Cool, what are you getting?

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Wifi Toilet posted:

Hmm, there's a new, unfired AR180B on gunbroker right now for $1k (little over a day left.)

Shame about the poly lower, but there's a fix for that!

The other big problem with the 180B is that it does not have the cool-guy bent charging handle.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

The other big problem with the 180B is that it does not have the cool-guy bent charging handle.

I figured goons would prefer the 180B's non-shell deflecting charging handle.

Cloudyak
May 14, 2009

Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshal Dillon?

Craptacular posted:

According to ARFCOM, no it does not function.

Cool, what are you getting?

Colt M16a1, 9 million serial so I am pretty sure its a police gun. I am going to FOIA request and post about it once its all said and done. It has a bit of wear which is what I was looking for because I want to shoot it a lot. I got it on the start of the down turn and while I have not seen another m16a1 go cheaper the market is getting close. It was an estate sale and it took a bit of tinkering to get running well. They had it in a 733 config, truly a person of taste. But the gas must have been set up for the cheapest ammo possible because with 193 I kept getting hammer follow. Victor at US anodizing tried to help me out but his instance on using only colt parts really slowed down the trouble shooting. I need to post more M16 stuff.

Representative picture

Cloudyak fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 1, 2020

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

I wonder how many were made. It might have potential as an investment gun.

You can get the earlier Sterling and Howa manufactured guns with stamped receivers for about the same price lately. They're anywhere between $1000-1500 rifles and have been in that price range for a good while now. There's no real niche for them, collector wise.

The magazines, though, those things sell like crack. Sterling mags are always solid impulse buys at auctions.

Edit:

Cloudyak posted:

Colt M16a1, 9 million serial so I am pretty sure its a police gun. I am going to FOIA request and post about it once its all said and done. It has a bit of wear which is what I was looking for because I want to shoot it a lot. I got it on the start of the down turn and while I have not seen another m16a1 go cheaper the market is getting close. It was an estate sale and it took a bit of tinkering to get running well. They had it in a 733 config, truly a person of taste. But the gas must have been set up for the cheapest ammo possible because with 193 I kept getting hammer follow. Victor at US anodizing tried to help me out but his instance on using only colt parts really slowed down the trouble shooting. I need to post more M16 stuff.

Representative picture

Solid awesome. That's my next big jump now that I'm pretty set on suppressors and weird old poo poo. I go back and forth between an old lower and RDIAS but either way, loving sweet purchase.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cloudyak posted:

Representative picture

What preventative stuff do you do to prolong parts life and avoid expensive repairs?

Cloudyak
May 14, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

What preventative stuff do you do to prolong parts life and avoid expensive repairs?

I love the DOE 9mm carbine set up. God lord, I started to get worried about how violent the action was and I was running extremely heavy buffers. I even ran a 12 ounce buffer, http://heavybuffers.com/9qt.html and it still was rough. I have tried the CMMG delayed uppers and they run quite a bit softer. I think part of my problem was that I stocked up on 147 speer lawman which is loaded hot. I used the MEAN mag adapters and the lawman ate the feed ramps up hard. I run the KNS pins just for 9mm with the KNS autosear pin. I think the KNS are unnecessary on any other caliber.

The best way to prevent wear is buy a bunch of ammo at once and then use an adjustable gasblock to tune it within an inch of its life. I have a suppressed 11.5 upper that give a low 600 rpm and doesn't bottom out the buffer. It does lock you into that specific ammo and in theory you might need to re-tune it when you get another batch. Its easier to tune to 193 or 855 so you can use different brands and still have the same function. The real advantage to an M16 is being able to use an upper tuned for trash ammo when you let new people shoot and then having your upper when you want to shoot.

That MEAN roller delayed upper really has my interest for taming the violence of the recoil. I would run 9mm blowback on an SBR lower all day and not worry. Once the lower costs as much as a sturdy car it ratchets up the tension.

The only 22lr upper that I have got running is the AM180 system and that requires a trigger swap and the mags are a real pain. Im really impressed with people that get the standard looking system to work because I have spent countless hours trying to tune it. The best advice I have ever gotten about 22lr on the M16 is either it is drop on and works or it will never work.

If you can afford an RDIAS it is the king of the M16 pattern. You can use CMMG PPC lowers or other caliber specific lowers and they are more protected from kabooms. Normally people say the registered lower is easier because it doesn't require tuning, but mine was not that way. A registered lower is nice because it retains all the functions that you are used to on an AR15 with the added selector position. Lightening Link (LL) get you full auto cheaper but you give up semi-auto like the RDIAS. Looking at price through an RDIAS is getting into HK sear territory and if you have that money I personally would do that instead. In the end it comes down to what hosts you want to run and what calibers you want to shoot. Both HK and M16s allow you to swap out the hot parts and keep shooting which is why they command a higher price over other full autos.

Mac10s are having a renascence right now with the uppers they can use. The price though has shot up quite a bit even compared to a year ago.

Edit:

Cloudyak fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 2, 2020

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Do the HEAT ARs use C7 or M16 uppers?

C7. It looks like that's Colt 733. Getting an itch to build yet another dumb clone.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 2, 2020

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

I built this little guy up since I live in a no- NFA state and can't ever get an SBR (or silencer etc).

9mm, bolt on FSB, endo mags, A2 upper. Kinda pseudo clone but looks pretty rad imo and is fun to shoot with the exception of 9mm AR recoil being just kinda weird.

Probably gonna kit out an identical dedicated .22lr upper for it as well at some point.

E: while I'm here this is the rest of the AR family.

That Works fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 2, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

mischief posted:

You can get the earlier Sterling and Howa manufactured guns with stamped receivers for about the same price lately. They're anywhere between $1000-1500 rifles and have been in that price range for a good while now. There's no real niche for them, collector wise.

The magazines, though, those things sell like crack. Sterling mags are always solid impulse buys at auctions.

Edit:

Solid awesome. That's my next big jump now that I'm pretty set on suppressors and weird old poo poo. I go back and forth between an old lower and RDIAS but either way, loving sweet purchase.

Oh, when I finally scratch my 180 itch it'll be with Brownells' kit.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

mischief posted:

For what it's worth, if AR-180 mags are too expensive, a standard aluminum AR-15 can be fairly easily modified to fit. You just need to flatten the raised mag catch area on the left side of the mag and dremel a little cut on the right side about 1cm long (obviously use a real AR-180 mag as a guide). I had a friend with a Costa Mesa AR-180 way back that had converted a few AR-15 mags due to lack of original Armalite mags.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Mine came with 3 40rd steel mags and two 30 rd old Thermold mags. I only ever opened one, it just doesn't get shot all that much.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Relevant roller lock comparison!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ0Wwns0EUI

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

.....surely when he says "twenty-five ninety-nine" he means one cent short of $25, right?

.....RIGHT?!?!?!!?!!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

.....surely when he says "twenty-five ninety-nine" he means one cent short of $25, right?

.....RIGHT?!?!?!!?!!

loooooooooooooooooool

For that price I at least want a german to sneer at me for being a petty civilian.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Yeah not sure who thatís for. Youíve got PSA jumping into the MP5 clone game probably sub $1k. Plus the other roller lock AR upper. Plus existing products.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah not sure who thatís for. Youíve got PSA jumping into the MP5 clone game probably sub $1k. Plus the other roller lock AR upper. Plus existing products.

From what I saw/heard at SHOT, PSA is targeting a $1,000-1,100 range for their MP5, which still puts it $300-$500 less than the next cheapest competing mp5 clones

HK are $2,600
Zenith are ~$1,800
PTR are ~$1,600
POF are ~$1,400

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Oh what a time to be alive and yet can't have one* because CA.

*a pistol version

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

It's JUST a loving UPPER, WHY the gently caress is it TWO-and-a-half THOUSAND DOLLARS!?

Christ, I can only hope that the MEAN upper comes in south of $1k.

edit: Not that I'll ever buy one, just.... I would like sanity to still apply in places, please.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 3, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

$500 has been my limit on uppers used or new assembled or self built which has been fine so far as I'm not cloning.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's JUST a loving UPPER, WHY the gently caress is it TWO-and-a-half THOUSAND DOLLARS!?

Christ, I can only hope that the MEAN upper comes in south of $1k.

edit: Not that I'll ever buy one, just.... I would like sanity to still apply in places, please.

Exactly what I was thinking, though I kind of want to get one especially if my SBR comes through.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Ok folks, here's my vision for my current AR15 build:

I already have the lower completed, its just a matter of upper and optic now. (have a BCG and charging handle too)

I can't seem to decide which way to go with the upper though...

This a is a 16" completed pencil upper from Aero I could just slap on:
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...prod109494.aspx
Pros: Buy it and be done, sans optic.
Cons: Not the flash hider I ultimately want. So that would be an extra expense down the line.

OR I could build my own upper around this awesome Faxon 16" pencil barrel:
https://www.opticsplanet.com/faxon-firearms-16in-legal-slim-perm-flash-hider-14-5in-pencil-5-56-nato-mid-leng.html
Pros: Faxon seems to be the end all be all for pencil barrels, and it has the flash hider I want
Cons: I would have to assemble my own upper which I've never done before and I can't say I'm terribly motivated. Looking at the other parts needed I would be spending more to build a complete upper around this barrel as well.

Also if you have suggestions for a cheap but working optic it would be appreciated. This rifle is just an upgrade on my first build I sourced from PSA in 2015 and will be my primary rifle for recreational shooting, nothing serious or competitive.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

If you go for the Faxon barrel I'd suggest checking other sites besides Optics Planet. I've had... mixed results dealing with them, with my positive interactions being when I used their Amazon storefront.

When you say "cheap but working optic," what parameters do you have? Do you want something magnified to reach out? Quick acquisition for run & gun? I've been happy with the bare bone Primary Arms red dots, but the new(er) Holosun units are pretty sweet too.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

If you go for the Faxon barrel I'd suggest checking other sites besides Optics Planet. I've had... mixed results dealing with them, with my positive interactions being when I used their Amazon storefront.

When you say "cheap but working optic," what parameters do you have? Do you want something magnified to reach out? Quick acquisition for run & gun? I've been happy with the bare bone Primary Arms red dots, but the new(er) Holosun units are pretty sweet too.

Point taken and I know you're not the only goon who's had issues with them but at a glance they seemed to be the only ones with that barrel in stock.

Optics wise.... magnification would be cool but is not necessary. A basic red dot would work. To be honest I'm looking at those fake ACOGs on Alibaba, Shima reported using one and it was serviceable. But I'm not completely stupid I know I may want something that's not chinese off brand later on.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Action-Bastard posted:

Point taken and I know you're not the only goon who's had issues with them but at a glance they seemed to be the only ones with that barrel in stock.

Optics wise.... magnification would be cool but is not necessary. A basic red dot would work. To be honest I'm looking at those fake ACOGs on Alibaba, Shima reported using one and it was serviceable. But I'm not completely stupid I know I may want something that's not chinese off brand later on.

I have a stack of fake acogs you can have one.

e: however it seems the latest ones are 'better'

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

I have a stack of fake acogs you can have one.

e: however it seems the latest ones are 'better'

I can't see how they would be better than a free fACOG. You have yourself a deal. Should I PM you?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I've seen sub-$1k ACOG's on Reddit, sometimes as low as $500. Then again what one considers "cheap" is relative.

Primary Arms has a scope for $289.99 new if that's within your budget.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Action-Bastard posted:

I can't see how they would be better than a free fACOG. You have yourself a deal. Should I PM you?

PM is good.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I've seen sub-$1k ACOG's on Reddit, sometimes as low as $500. Then again what one considers "cheap" is relative.

You can get the PA prisms for $200 used if you can wait for a deal. I've gotten $500 ACOGs before but you either have to trade for some wear or dead tritium but not both!

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I was looking/hoping for sub $200

I mean I could just get BUIS and save my pennies for a few months if necessary.

PM sent!

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Action-Bastard posted:

Ok folks, here's my vision for my current AR15 build:

I already have the lower completed, its just a matter of upper and optic now. (have a BCG and charging handle too)

I can't seem to decide which way to go with the upper though...

This a is a 16" completed pencil upper from Aero I could just slap on:
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...prod109494.aspx
Pros: Buy it and be done, sans optic.
Cons: Not the flash hider I ultimately want. So that would be an extra expense down the line.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/faxon-firearms-16in-legal-slim-perm-flash-hider-14-5in-pencil-5-56-nato-mid-leng.html
Pros: Faxon seems to be the end all be all for pencil barrels, and it has the flash hider I want
Cons: I would have to assemble my own upper which I've never done before and I can't say I'm terribly motivated. Looking at the other parts needed I would be spending more to build a complete upper around this barrel as well.

Also if you have suggestions for a cheap but working optic it would be appreciated. This rifle is just an upgrade on my first build I sourced from PSA in 2015 and will be my primary rifle for recreational shooting, nothing serious or competitive.

https://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=Pencil

Expired now but this place had a Faxon 16" pencil barrel for $139.99 shipped: https://gun.deals/product/faxon-firearms-16-pencil-556-nato-4150-qpq-barrel-13999-shipped

Check http://gun.deals frequently for barrel sales and you'll get something way cheaper than $245 or whatever.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Ceros_X posted:

https://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=Pencil

Expired now but this place had a Faxon 16" pencil barrel for $139.99 shipped: https://gun.deals/product/faxon-firearms-16-pencil-556-nato-4150-qpq-barrel-13999-shipped

Check http://gun.deals frequently for barrel sales and you'll get something way cheaper than $245 or whatever.

Not the same product unfortunately. What I linked is a 14.5" with the desired flash hider pinned and welded. But I'll keep an eye on that all the same.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Action-Bastard posted:

Roll your own, the biggest hurdle to clear is installing the gas block. Faxon sells pinned barrels through AIM Surplus though:

https://aimsurplus.com/faxon-firearms-16-in-pencil-223-5-56-4150-qpq-nitride-barrel/

Out of stock at the moment, but it's certainly an option!

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Roll your own, the biggest hurdle to clear is installing the gas block. Faxon sells pinned barrels through AIM Surplus though:

https://aimsurplus.com/faxon-firearms-16-in-pencil-223-5-56-4150-qpq-nitride-barrel/

Out of stock at the moment, but it's certainly an option!

Good pick, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Action-Bastard posted:

Jsyk OpticsPlanet probably doesn't have them in stock either. They will advertise a price, sit for a large enough pool of orders, and then get them in. Sometimes months later. At least, that's how I understand it, it can take months for orders of "in stock" items to come through. If you're in no hurry they can get good prices, but it's a crapshoot when you'll get something