Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Chappie is a fun movie, it isn't high cinema, but it's pretty good if you want an action movie with johnny 5 in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Chappie is worth watching but boy is it dumb. Also PS4s

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

Stravag posted:

It's using a lot of the toys they didnt use in district 9 to make a new era short circuit. It's not terrible and a better use of your time than episode 7 or 8 of starwars. Tbf ep 8 was so terrible i didn't bother seeing 9
I still haven't seen Episode 9.

Or Endgame, for that matter.

Chappie was ok.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your launch.... 'cause mine's gonna be suborbital

If you do decide to watch Chappie make sure whatever you watch it on has captions or subtitles since Yolandi and Ninja's accents can get a little thick at times, bru.

The biggest weakness of the film is they really needed to not use Hugh Jackman the way they did (he's just not a good villain at all), and they criminally underutilized Sigourney.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 6, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

and they criminally underutilized Sigourney.

This is every movie imo

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/carolaverygrant/status/1114225173165568000

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

TAPCO and Storm Lake barrels also got the Remington chop

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Oh no where am I going to get my cheap AK parts?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

Oh no where am I going to get my cheap AK parts?

Their galil mags work surprisingly not badly in my saiga.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Pressing F to pay my respects to Bushmaster. RIP, ACR. You were a cool gun.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Is the ACR really dead tho? Couldnít they make a buck by selling the tooling to someone?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

ilkhan posted:

I still haven't seen Episode 9.

Or Endgame, for that matter.

Chappie was ok.

Lol same. I kinda feel like I should watch endgame but I really burned out on super heroes at the end there.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Is the ACR really dead tho? Couldnít they make a buck by selling the tooling to someone?

One of the threads I saw on ARfcom headed up by a former DPMS employee indicated Cerberus wants out of the MSR market.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Miso Beno posted:

One of the threads I saw on ARfcom headed up by a former DPMS employee indicated Cerberus wants out of the MSR market.

Ok but that tooling/design is worth something to someone outside of Cerberus. ACR 2.0! Betta! Not broken promises we swear! I bet some small shop could get that rolling for shot show 2021 and get financial backing.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 7, 2020

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

ACR not existing is a pretty big improvement

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I vaguely remember seeing some rumor/pics of some Polish company getting the ACR design for their military. I'm guessing it's 99% rumor but one can dream.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I vaguely remember seeing some rumor/pics of some Polish company getting the ACR design for their military. I'm guessing it's 99% rumor but one can dream.

You're probably thinking of the FB MSBS Grot which is not related to the ACR, though it looks pretty similar.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

I mean.... what are the chances that Magpul buys the ACR back and the Masada lives again?

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Considering the Masada was nothing but a concept and Bushmaster had to do significant re-engineering to get it to actually work, I wouldn't exactly trust Magpul to do anything other than make plastic parts for it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ZebraBlade posted:

Considering the Masada was nothing but a concept and Bushmaster had to do significant re-engineering to get it to actually work, I wouldn't exactly trust Magpul to do anything other than make plastic parts for it.

Magpul could easily hire the necessary talent. And they wouldn't need to redo the R&D Bushmaster has already done. They would just buy that. Now replace magpul with any number of companies but it would be cool if it were magpul.

People might have bitter feelings about the past but people don't hate magpul overall.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

I don't see the point of someone buying the ACR and tooling, production space and engineers to produce it, then selling it again, presumably at a higher price than Remington was selling it at(because now there's a cost to recoup), when anyone who wanted one already has one.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Well strategically you wouldn't do all that and make the same ACR Bushmaster was making. You'd add some new flair to it and call it the next gen.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Shaocaholica posted:

Magpul could easily hire the necessary talent. And they wouldn't need to redo the R&D Bushmaster has already done. They would just buy that. Now replace magpul with any number of companies but it would be cool if it were magpul.

People might have bitter feelings about the past but people don't hate magpul overall.

The larger issue is whether Magpul wants to actually be in the gun business rather than the gun accessory business. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a SOT just so they can own post-samples to test their designs with, but there's a world of difference between doing that and actually setting up to manufacture and sell firearms.

Right now all they really have to worry about is making sure their mags aren't going directly to states where they're illegal. Cranking out guns of your own is where the ATF becomes a much closer acquaintance.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

If you want to see what happens when a company that makes gun parts starts making full guns, look at what's happening at Geissele. Their Super Duty rifles were announced & were up for sale on Black Friday, and the overwhelming demand actually crashed their site. They are already behind on their 8-week shipping promise, and folks are angry on the internet over various issues (anodizing not matching, weird/substandard machining, big MOA shifts on complete rifles).

That said, I'd like a real gun manufacturer to get the ACR/Masada up & running again.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

That said, I'd like a real gun manufacturer to get the ACR/Masada up & running again.
I'd like whoever ends up with the rights to the ACR to release the technical specs and allow anyone to manufacture them. That's a big part of why the AR15 is so popular, and IMO if another design is going to replace it then that design will need to do the same.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I was kind of wondering how the AR-15 pattern became universal. Armalite didn't hold onto the patent?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I was kind of wondering how the AR-15 pattern became universal. Armalite didn't hold onto the patent?

It expired.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Its been around so long the earliest designs are C&R eligible

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

You know how gun control banned specific features to single out scary black rifles because out of some misguided fear that it didn't look like their grandpappy's rifle?

We are now at the point where it *is* someone's grandpappy's rifle, and the first iterations are now becoming C&Rs.

edit: which is a roundabout way of saying, gun old, patents expired.

edit edit: That's what I get for opening up a reply window and sitting on it while I read other threads first.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 8, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It also doesn't hurt that it's been a US service weapon since Vietnam at this point. Multiple generations of Americans who have gone anywhere near the military have learned its basic manual of arms. All that means it gets both the military service cachet (just look at what that did for the Beretta 92) as well as just plain having people familiar with it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cyrano4747 posted:

The larger issue is whether Magpul wants to actually be in the gun business rather than the gun accessory business. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a SOT just so they can own post-samples to test their designs with, but there's a world of difference between doing that and actually setting up to manufacture and sell firearms.

Right now all they really have to worry about is making sure their mags aren't going directly to states where they're illegal. Cranking out guns of your own is where the ATF becomes a much closer acquaintance.

They could in theory distance themselves by spinning off a new company thatís closely linked like Geissele does with ALG. They could even call it Masada.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

Magpul's expertise is in molding and casting. It's not clear to me why apart from their brand recognition they would have a competitive advantage in manufacturing firearms.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Brand recognition is basically half the battle. Modern manufacturing has made firearm manufacturing much easier. Just look at all the small and medium sized shops pumping out ARs. Of course not all AR parts are made in house but neither does magpul or anyone else need to make ACR 2.0 parts all in house either.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Mortabis posted:

Magpul's expertise is in molding and casting. It's not clear to me why apart from their brand recognition they would have a competitive advantage in manufacturing firearms.

Magpul could just about poop in a box and sell it right now. It would be a pretty heavy risk getting into firearm manufacturing but they've got more than enough brand recognition and capital to make that jump if they really wanted.

Like Cyrano said, they surely already have an SOT with all the demo guns they use. That's another 1/3rd of the battle there.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I just want one of those Magpul lowers they made forever ago

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

mischief posted:

Magpul could just about poop in a box and sell it right now. It would be a pretty heavy risk getting into firearm manufacturing but they've got more than enough brand recognition and capital to make that jump if they really wanted.

Like Cyrano said, they surely already have an SOT with all the demo guns they use. That's another 1/3rd of the battle there.

The thing about brand equity is that it's very easy to destroy with a few bad products. You can put poop in a box and sell it for a little while, but only a little while.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I mean Sig is still around

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean Sig is still around

Hey look sometimes what I really want is not for my gun to be functional, but for it to look like it was stolen from Colonel Gaddafi's personal armory.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

The thing about brand equity is that it's very easy to destroy with a few bad products. You can put poop in a box and sell it for a little while, but only a little while.

Seems to have worked ok for Cards Against Humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mortabis posted:

Thatís why I think they should just spin off a new company to do it to put some separation between the brands but physically they donít need to be a new facility. See the whole family of brands under Geissele.