Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean Sig is still around

I donít hate Sig 100% but I would love Magpul to be a counter to Sigs awfulness. Not in every niche to begin with but the ACR would be a nice start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

They have since graduated to literally not giving you anything for your money.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Ha, I had heard about that but had never seen this page before. That's amazing.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

That's an upgrade from getting sent Cards Against Humanity

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Well, this happened on Saturday. Still need to wrench down the flash hider as it didn't come with a crush washer but it was an interesting experience to assemble and not lose any detents. This gun has so many little fiddly tiny bits that love to fly everywhere.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Monolith. posted:

Well, this happened on Saturday. Still need to wrench down the flash hider as it didn't come with a crush washer but it was an interesting experience to assemble and not lose any detents. This gun has so many little fiddly tiny bits that love to fly everywhere.

That gun looks like itís from the future.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Does anyone remember that batch of vintage Colt 16Ē carbines that came on the market as po-surp last year?

What did they sell for? Thereís a dude at this gun show that has one but he wants two grand for it and itís pretty beat up.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Most of the old Colt stuff tops out around $1500 in my experience, barring the weird poo poo. What model was it?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

mischief posted:

Most of the old Colt stuff tops out around $1500 in my experience, barring the weird poo poo. What model was it?

Not sure, but it was a slick-sided SP1 type with pencil barrel and A1 sights.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I got an early serial SP1 for $1200 if memory serves. They've been starting to be C&R eligible which has bumped the needle a little but two grand for a clapped out one seems unreasonable.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

infrared35 posted:

Not sure, but it was a slick-sided SP1 type with pencil barrel and A1 sights.

Is this what you're looking at?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/856366447
(Imgur link because gunbroker links like to expire or just stop working: https://i.imgur.com/Mx14t8s.jpg)

$2k for a well used carbine seems outrageous. Colt stamp be damned.

Action-Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 10, 2020

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Monolith. posted:

Wow. What upper/handguard is that? I love round rails, the smooth heat shield is a nice touch.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Action-Bastard posted:

Is this what you're looking at?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/856366447
(Imgur link because gunbroker links like to expire or just stop working: https://i.imgur.com/Mx14t8s.jpg)

$2k for a well used carbine seems outrageous. Colt stamp be damned.

Yeah, that's the style. Maybe Colts are going to fetch dumb prices now that they've stopped production? I just thought it was a neat piece of po-surp, but I probably wouldn't have even bought it at $1000.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

infrared35 posted:

Yeah, that's the style. Maybe Colts are going to fetch dumb prices now that they've stopped production? I just thought it was a neat piece of po-surp, but I probably wouldn't have even bought it at $1000.

I saw various parts kits while looking for that specific rifle, between that and Nodak you could probably assemble your own for $1k or less. If you really wanted one that is.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

infrared35 posted:

SP1 should be skinny barrel, triangle handguards, and full length stock. I definitely wouldn't pay $2k for one dressed up like something more modern.

Edit: Crappy cell phone photo in the garage.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Kesper North posted:

Wow. What upper/handguard is that? I love round rails, the smooth heat shield is a nice touch.

Upper is: 2A Stripped Upper: https://www.2a-arms.com/product-p/2a-fu15-1.htm

Handguard is: Hogue 15804 Overmolded https://www.eabco.net/Hogue-AR-15-3-Piece-Kits--Grip-Collapsible-Buttstock-and-Hand-Guard-wAccessories_p_14563.html

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

mischief posted:

SP1 should be skinny barrel, triangle handguards, and full length stock. I definitely wouldn't pay $2k for one dressed up like something more modern.

SP1 carbines never had triangles.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It also doesn't hurt that it's been a US service weapon since Vietnam at this point. Multiple generations of Americans who have gone anywhere near the military have learned its basic manual of arms. All that means it gets both the military service cachet (just look at what that did for the Beretta 92) as well as just plain having people familiar with it.

also the assault weapons ban removing any competition lol

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

also the assault weapons ban removing any competition lol
Not so much the AWB as the '89 import ban.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

What is it about the ACR that everyone likes? I remember a thousand years ago when it was first announced as the Masada that the selling point was true quick-change barrels/caliber conversions (like, flick a lever and remove the barrel and gas tube, then swap in something else in a few seconds), but I believe that got scrapped in the final Bushmaster ACR product.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

What is it about the ACR that everyone likes? I remember a thousand years ago when it was first announced as the Masada that the selling point was true quick-change barrels/caliber conversions (like, flick a lever and remove the barrel and gas tube, then swap in something else in a few seconds), but I believe that got scrapped in the final Bushmaster ACR product.

AFAIK it's just that looks like a kind of "lightweight" SCAR and we wish for what might have been. Nobody actually thinks it's "better" than any given poverty pony.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

It's not an AR. It's not anything else either except close to a SCAR. It's a pretty low bar I know.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 10, 2020

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Kesper North posted:

AFAIK it's just that looks like a kind of "lightweight" SCAR and we wish for what might have been. Nobody actually thinks it's "better" than any given poverty pony.

They are drastically heavier than the scar tho

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

that's because you need at least two ACRs to make one sCAR

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

taqueso posted:

that's because you need at least two ACRs to make one sCAR

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

At the time its main hype points were the quick change barrel system, it looked really cool, and people were super hot on anything Magpul was doing

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

For me the ACR's appeal was

A. Aesthetics. Looks futuristic as hell but actually functional.

B. Fully ambidextrous. Being a lefty meant those controls were a big selling point.

C. Video games. C'mon. Ghost used it in Modern Warfare 2.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

They should never have sunk so much into the quick change barrel or at least make a different 'MG' version of it. People don't want to fiddle around with 'quick' barrel swaps at the range. Most folk would rather have 2 cheaper guns even though the net cost is more than a single gun with a quick change because in the end you don't have to fiddle and its 100% more guns.

Also don't forget it lost substantial amount of appeal when it didn't have a magpul rollmark on it anymore.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Lost more appeal by putting Bushmaster/Remington rollmarks on it

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

How the gently caress do you make something that shoots 5.56 heavier than a SCAR 17 jfc

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Kesper North posted:

How the gently caress do you make something that shoots 5.56 heavier than a SCAR 17 jfc

I see you haven't seen my AUG
10lbs unloaded

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Rat posted:

I see you haven't seen my AUG
10lbs unloaded

I was gonna say try carrying around an M16A4 for a while but yeah your little piggy takes the cake

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

11lbs unloaded with the can

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Plot twist: polymer ends up being heavier than aluminum if you want it to have the same strength.

The Rat posted:

11lbs unloaded with the can

Chonki boi postin':

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004

Something I've been building

Tuff Scrote fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 10, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Tuff Scrote posted:

Something I've been building

User name / mag combo up in here.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Chomnky boys?

It's actually not bad without the can, base gun is 9lb 14.1oz, despite the size and hefty scope. Can and bipod and ammo rapidly put it into chonky territory, but not bad for a DMR.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 11, 2020

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

12 Pounds, mine is the chonkiest.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

The only DPMS I ever wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

So what do you do when you drunk buy the wrong part?

You buy/build a gun for the part. Well I went with something stupid on a budget

PSA Pistol lower with a SB PDW pistol brace
Aero M4E1 lower w/ 7.5 inch barrel
Tool craft bolt and bolt carrier
Old rear end P.A. red dot
Geissele charging handle
ZroDelta Cowl induction brake
Random other parts

In other news 450 bushmaster is done after two years.

Areo M4E1 lower and upper
Aero Ultralight mount
Geissele SSP(temporary)
Geissele charging handle
SA adjustable gasblock
Magpul PRS
Magpul MOE
Heavy buffer 11oz rifle buffer
Bushmaster 20inch barrel
Wilson .458 wisper brake
...think thats about it

Thats enough AR stuff post new space gun here.