Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Dialed it in with Gold Dots, only took five rounds to get positive ejection and bolt lock on an empty mag. Was gonna do some more to make sure but some boner called the cops about someone shooting an Assault Gun of War™ and a couple of deputies showed up. They looked super loving bored and didn't even care about it but welp guess we should respond.

Cause ya know, super slow fire of one roughly every 30 seconds minimum warrants a 911. Weird how cops only roll out when I've got the AR but never show for pistols or shotguns or any other rifle for that matter, or show up to anyone else in town popping off cause holy poo poo there's been a lot of that lately

For the record: 11.5" Faxon gunner barrel and an SLR gas block set to the 7th setting works great

Glad to hear its working out for you.

People call 911 for waaaay more trivial poo poo than that. I remember one lady calling because the neighbor's trash can fell over and the wind was blowing some of the trash into her yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Yeah but Iíve been to beebís town, there literally isnít anything to do but be a busy-body!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah unsuppressed midlength. Silencer Shop is backordered on the Dead Air Nomad

Cool good to know. I almost got one but was iffy on the unsurpressed reliability. What buffer?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Action-Bastard posted:

I Came Out to Have a Good Time and I'm Honestly Feeling So Attacked Right Now

PM me an address and you can borrow the Black Rifle books. Vietnam was an incredibly crazy period of time for the platform.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

mischief posted:

PM me an address and you can borrow the Black Rifle books. Vietnam was an incredibly crazy period of time for the platform.

That's really generous of you, but no thanks!

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

devmd01 posted:

Yeah but Iíve been to beebís town, there literally isnít anything to do but be a busy-body!

It's true, normally people just reserve that level of pettiness for church though

Shaocaholica posted:

Cool good to know. I almost got one but was iffy on the unsurpressed reliability. What buffer?

JP Enterprises, no adjustments done to it just straight out the box and into the gun.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Capn Beeb posted:

JP Enterprises, no adjustments done to it just straight out the box and into the gun.

You mean the SCS?

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

You mean the SCS?

Yup, that's the one!

Edit: Mine is the regular gen 2 model:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-springs/ar-15-silent-captured-springs-gen-2-prod85360.aspx

But if you have a short gun with a can, JP apparently suggests you use the H2 model:

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-springs/ar-15-silent-captured-springs-gen-2-h2-prod85359.aspx

Capn Beeb fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 29, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cans not allowed in my state so Iíll be running close to what you have. Might go adjustable too.

How is the recoil on your position 7? Compared to other ARs?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Capn Beeb posted:

also also whoever called it in gave them the exact address down to the house number, heard it over the radio, so that's somewhat concerning, p sure I know who it was though and nobody in town likes them on account of them being a perpetual busybody into everyone's business

Go to their house and introduce yourself. Be super neighborly, say hi and maybe bring a pie. Lay it on reall thick

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Is there a preferred manufacturer any of you all like for mid tier 5.56 uppers/lowers? Iíd like to build a 10-12Ē Suppressed SBR. I had heard a while ago that PSA was good but Iím kinda bummed that theyíre catering to shitheads. With the knowledge that gun ownership is inherently political, are there any manufacturers who shut the gently caress up and make guns in that middle tier?

Iíd love to spend $3k on a boutique tier AR but, uh, no.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

tehinternet posted:

Is there a preferred manufacturer any of you all like for mid tier 5.56 uppers/lowers? I’d like to build a 10-12” Suppressed SBR. I had heard a while ago that PSA was good but I’m kinda bummed that they’re catering to shitheads. With the knowledge that gun ownership is inherently political, are there any manufacturers who shut the gently caress up and make guns in that middle tier?

I’d love to spend $3k on a boutique tier AR but, uh, no.

I really like Sons of Liberty Gunworks, Sionics, or Triarc for mid-tier quality guns. You're probably looking at between $1100 and $1800 for a very very nice gun from any of them.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

BCM, SOLGW, FN, Colt 6920, Sionics, Daniel Defense are all decent mid level guns.
TFR is a big fan of Aero but the last batch of parts that came into my local AR expert had some QC issues. What is this role of this gun?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

L0cke17 posted:

I really like Sons of Liberty Gunworks,

Well I wouldnt recommend SOLGW if you dont want to support an alcoholic trump supporter who definitely doesnt just shut up and produce guns.

MantisClaw posted:

Daniel Defense are all decent mid level guns.

Skip DD for a suppressed gun.

Really best bang for your buck is to build your own. Might even be able to find a local goon with tools who will help you.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Atticus_1354 posted:

Well I wouldnt recommend SOLGW if you dont want to support an alcoholic trump supporter who definitely doesnt just shut up and produce guns.

poo poo, did I miss something about them?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

PSA was never especially good, they just made a name for themselves by buying components from good manufacturers (like FN barrels for a while) and then selling them at a very low price because they just randomly slapped their crap together and let Customer Service do the job that Quality Assurance should have.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

L0cke17 posted:

poo poo, did I miss something about them?

Well he's a piece of poo poo who has multiple DUI's and day drinks at the shop. It's pretty obvious if you ever meet him in person. Also the shop has hosed up several orders to dealer friends and individuals I know so I would skip doing business based on that alone. They even cerakoted the wrong rifle of someone who dropped off 2 rifles to he worked on and overshot the delivery date by months. He had to go to their shop in person multiple times to get it fixed.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Atticus_1354 posted:

Well he's a piece of poo poo who has multiple DUI's and day drinks at the shop. It's pretty obvious if you ever meet him in person. Also the shop has hosed up several orders to dealer friends and individuals I know so I would skip doing business based on that alone. They even cerakoted the wrong rifle of someone who dropped off 2 rifles to he worked on and overshot the delivery date by months. He had to go to their shop in person multiple times to get it fixed.

Ah. I see. They were a little slow on my rifle, but I didn't know all the rest of that. Guess I won't be recommending them anymore. Thanks for the explanation!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Internet Wizard posted:

PSA was never especially good, they just made a name for themselves by buying components from good manufacturers (like FN barrels for a while) and then selling them at a very low price because they just randomly slapped their crap together and let Customer Service do the job that Quality Assurance should have.

Also wouldn't consider them mid-tier. Maybe aero M4E1 is mid tier? The phrase just makes me think regular forged parts with a better trigger, grip, stock, barrel and bolt carrier group, probably a decent free float rail. You can build something like that pretty easy.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Giving it some thought my current midtier upper easy build is a rosco sauce pack, aero upper (or other quality upper), and rail of your choice. I have a huge love of centurion rails right now but the world is your oyster. That gives you a solid barrel and internals at a great price point. Or just buy their 10.5" upper if that's the length you want.

https://www.roscomanufacturing.com/shop/upper-receiver-groups/bloodline-urgs/bloodline-10-5-completed-upper/

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 29, 2020

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Cans not allowed in my state so Iíll be running close to what you have. Might go adjustable too.

How is the recoil on your position 7? Compared to other ARs?

If anything it may have been milder than my regular gassed 16" gun, despite weighing significantly less. Really smooth impulse, just a slight hint of recoil.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Capn Beeb posted:

If anything it may have been milder than my regular gassed 16" gun, despite weighing significantly less. Really smooth impulse, just a slight hint of recoil.

Thatís great to hear. I was a bit worried about the short dwell on it and bigger factory gas port to compensate. Now to find one on sale.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Anybody seen these before? There isn't a single marking on any of the couplers. It's your usual mix of Parsons, Okay Industries, Colt, Adventure Line, etc. for the mags but that's the first time I've seen these.

Completely unrelated but from another estate auction:

WWI era. I think I'm going to reframe it but not sure yet.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Thanks, ThinkFear, the adapters worked perfectly and this thing owns

(my dremel hand could use a bit more practice though, i think i'm gonna have a re-do with another set and proper tools after my shelter in place is lifted)

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

i don't mind shooting our 16" dd upper with a lw barrel suppressed, it has a h2 buffer and everything else is standard stuff. our 11.5" dd upper i did put a bootleg adjustable bcg in and it's great. i'm a huge fan of the bootlegs as i also put one in our lw 10.3" build. it makes more sense to me to have the adjustment in the carrier, where you can still change the setting pretty easily than in a gas block which tend to seize over time (and most of them you need a small allen key(s) to adjust). plus the factory dd uppers come with pinned gas blocks so you don't need to mess with those either. with dd's you know what you're getting, quality gun with a very nice mil-spec barrel. 5-shot groups in the ~1-1.25 moa range can be expected with ammo that shoots well out of the barrel. plus you get all the good stuff like a looser 5.56 chamber, chrome-lining in the barrel for better barrel life, all that.

i don't think i've ever seen accuracy reviews on the solgw or sionics barrel despite being very popular with the tactical crowd

i wouldn't get a bcm because they're not very accurate. the plus side is that they have desirable configurations with reasonable prices. however for me, if a gun doesn't shoot well it's not a very good gun. the sentiment regarding bcm's not being very accurate is becoming more popular on ar15.com and the the pics of their barrels borescoped are pretty interesting. ymmv

californiasushi fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 31, 2020

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

californiasushi posted:

i don't think i've ever seen accuracy reviews on the solgw or sionics barrel despite being very popular with the tactical crowd

I think that's due to the current industry trend to use overall reliability and longevity as a metric for performance (See KAC getting mentioned on P&S for 20k lifespan before any parts change). I remember solgw stating before that they don't offer precision guns since they couldn't make them to the same reliability standard.

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

there's also bcm's filthy 14

i think it's also because most customers who buy those brands don't really care about moa accuracy or better as it's not very important to the kind of shooting they do. the colts, bcm's, dd's, and kac's will all be reliable to high round counts so to me the biggest differentiator is price and accuracy. if i'm paying close to the same money for a fancy bcm or dd, i'd rather have the more accurate gun. with 1-nx scopes you can engage pretty challenging targets so it's nice to have a gun that shoots closer to 1 moa imo

Fats
Oct 13, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand

Fun Shoe

Working from home/being stuck on endless goddamn Webex meetings with no point leads to poor decisions:

Got the lower two weekends ago and ordered parts at the same time, and despite the rush on guns everything came quickly, with the last bits showing up today. 16" .223 Wylde Aero upper, Aero lower, Magpul furniture and a Geissele charging handle to match. Ordered a Holosun 512 tonight to go on top, which will be my first red dot experience. Not my first AR, but the first one in a decade.

Also pictured, the baby poop colored, barely fired Sig (M11? Grips say P228) I found languishing in the back of the gun shop I bought the lower at, which inspired the furniture color.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

(my dremel hand could use a bit more practice though, i think i'm gonna have a re-do with another set and proper tools after my shelter in place is lifted)

Awesome, glad it turned out good. Chop saw is the way to go, for next time.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Nice work. It's a good-looking, straightforward shooter. How's it handle and balance?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Mosin Crate just listed some Colt 601 parts kits if anyone is curious about stupid expensive old AR stuff.

They're gorgeous but well too rich for my blood, especially with the times being what they are.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Nice work. It's a good-looking, straightforward shooter. How's it handle and balance?

It's pretty handy, balances pretty nice. Can't offer any shooting impressions because my range is closed

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

mischief posted:

Mosin Crate just listed some Colt 601 parts kits if anyone is curious about stupid expensive old AR stuff.

Stupid expensive in this case meaning "you could buy like four Brownells replicas for the cost of one of these."

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Is the standard WML on a small 5.5 in barreled .300blk still a Surefire M300 compact with a pressure switch? Cheapest I could find is about $400 total. Not sure if itís still the best.

FauxhawkSatan
Mar 27, 2010

Boner Wad posted:

Is the standard WML on a small 5.5 in barreled .300blk still a Surefire M300 compact with a pressure switch? Cheapest I could find is about $400 total. Not sure if itís still the best.

The best is probably a modlite plhv2 or cloud owl. The plhv2 will run you about $400 when you factor in a mount and pressure switch and the cloud owl is like $350 but has a built in mount and pressure switch.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

So a bunch of pages back I asked you guys for advice, and you sure delivered.

I may or may not have paid attention.

But I guess I can be part of the cool danger zone club now?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Boner Wad posted:

Is the standard WML on a small 5.5 in barreled .300blk still a Surefire M300 compact with a pressure switch? Cheapest I could find is about $400 total. Not sure if it’s still the best.

The best rifle weapon lights are probably the Cloud OWL or the modlite. Primary and Secondary did a good video on the different weapon light options https://youtu.be/JPB8COBBxHE

If you want a Surefire M300C for $192, here you go They are still good, just not as bright.

For small SBRs or AR pistols the Inforce WML is also super tiny. I just picked one up (the 400 lumen white/IR model) used for $95.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

you can tell that gat is owned by a marine by it magazine

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Imagine doing that stippling and thinking whatís become of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Haha, I paid to have that masterpiece done. No amateur scribbling on my part.