Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Itís just a entry level pistol dot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sounds good for a pistol-AR

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ah good point. I was looking for one a long time ago and thatís the cheapest Iíve seen it new. Iím more inclined now to get the holosun pistol dot but really Iím just fine with micro dots.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

I have a Holosun 508tv2 on back order but there's a mount I want to use that's Docter/Fastfire format and why buy an adapter plate when I can buy more optics?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Hey, I'm interested in getting into an AR platform rifle and I'd really like to build one as a project to keep me busy when I'm self-isolating.

I'm hoping to build one with two uppers, one in 5.56 for target shooting and one in .350 Legend for hunting. Is it going to be cheaper to just get a Ruger AR-556 for like $560 and then get a second upper, or can I build a lower assembly and two uppers for around the same price?

There are just so many options out there that I'm kind of overwhelmed and not sure where to start. If I were to build one myself, would it make sense to just go ahead and order the stripped lower right now and figure other stuff out later?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Just build 2 rifles swapping uppers is lame.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Having a spare floating upper will just end up growing itself a lower anyways. They're like earthworms where if you chop them in half, they'll eventually regenerate.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Yes, I understand that, sure. But I'm interested in having the ability to switch to a hunting caliber without having to buy or build a separate rifle right away -- is that just a non-starter, then?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Nah it's totally fine, there's no mechanical or legal issues with it.

Just know that when you have spare parts, they breed in the darkness.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The trick is that when youíre up to your neck in spare parts you stop noticing the growth. Itís just ARs all the way down.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I've got a couple-extra-lowers problem right now. Is 6.5 grendel the hunting caliber of choice?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Finally got a chance to sit down and assemble the lower half of my bargain bin A1 build. Good news: the Anderson lower I panic-bought in 2016 seems to be in spec and functional. Bad news: the secondhand Olympic takeoff upper receiver I was going to use for this build is not. Near as I can figure, the upper's rear pin hole was drilled off center. I can probably fix it but I probably won't have access to the requisite tools for a while.

Or I can slap on the flattop upper which does fit and make a faux retro DMR thing.

Somebody Awful fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 11, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

In case anybody has a Bear Creek Arsenal upper for some unfortunate reason, somebody at my local makerspace has had both a .223 Wylde and a .308 uppers be so out of spec they close on no-go gages. So definitely get your undocumented immigrant-built uppers double checked.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Internet Wizard posted:

In case anybody has a Bear Creek Arsenal upper for some unfortunate reason, somebody at my local makerspace has had both a .223 Wylde and a .308 uppers be so out of spec they close on no-go gages. So definitely get your undocumented immigrant-built uppers double checked.

Does anyone know where Bear Creek Arsenal sources their barrels? Because on an AR headspace is set by the extension, and I don't think your typical upper builder isn't loving with those.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I think they make them in house. Got my free barrel a couple years ago, hasn't blown up yet!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

What kind of groups do you get from it?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die.

Apollodorus posted:

Hey, I'm interested in getting into an AR platform rifle and I'd really like to build one as a project to keep me busy when I'm self-isolating.

I'm hoping to build one with two uppers, one in 5.56 for target shooting and one in .350 Legend for hunting. Is it going to be cheaper to just get a Ruger AR-556 for like $560 and then get a second upper, or can I build a lower assembly and two uppers for around the same price?

There are just so many options out there that I'm kind of overwhelmed and not sure where to start. If I were to build one myself, would it make sense to just go ahead and order the stripped lower right now and figure other stuff out later?

the people telling you to just get two are people that have 10 lol.

The only possible annoyance would be if you want to use different optics that require vastly different cheek welds.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Would doing a pin & weld of a can with a removable baffle stack keep a sub-16" AR with a proper stock a single stamp gun?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

PookBear posted:

the people telling you to just get two are people that have 10 lol.

The only possible annoyance would be if you want to use different optics that require vastly different cheek welds.

Other possible annoyances include not being able to share with a friend at the range, not being able to post group photos on instagram, not being able to pretend to be John Woo, not being able to optimize the lowers with the best trigger/stock/buffer/buffer spring/etc for the upper, and getting made fun of by your friends. Also the lower is easy to slowly build and not that expensive in the long run unless you live in a ban state or other special circumstances.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Would doing a pin & weld of a can with a removable baffle stack keep a sub-16" AR with a proper stock a single stamp gun?

That's how all of the single stamp baby guns I've seen worked. The Spikes Black Widow I've got is integral with a plate on the front to remove the baffle stack for cleaning, single stamp.
I don't know poo poo about welding so I can't say how practical it is to do it in a home shop though.

I asked a similar question about a 14.5" barrel with a Gemtech Trek and everyone recommended against it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cyrano4747 posted:

Does anyone know where Bear Creek Arsenal sources their barrels? Because on an AR headspace is set by the extension, and I don't think your typical upper builder isn't loving with those.

Phew good thing I got some side charge BCAs that I'm going to swap out the barrels on.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Internet Wizard posted:

What kind of groups do you get from it?

Not too bad, but I've only had it out twice, once to zero the poo poo scope I had on hand, once to compare to a Columbia River barrel I picked up(the bear creek shot better, but I was swapping the scope between and I think I broke it going too far on adjustments to one side). It's under 2 moa on cheap plinker ammo, I'll have to get out again once things open up again.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

mischief posted:

That's how all of the single stamp baby guns I've seen worked. The Spikes Black Widow I've got is integral with a plate on the front to remove the baffle stack for cleaning, single stamp.
I don't know poo poo about welding so I can't say how practical it is to do it in a home shop though.

I asked a similar question about a 14.5" barrel with a Gemtech Trek and everyone recommended against it.

If you're going to go to all the trouble and expense why not go shorter than 14.5"? The best solution would be a homebrew version of the tacsol .22 six barrels so you could still swap your suppressor.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 12, 2020

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I ended up selling the 14.5" barrels and doing just that.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

mischief posted:

I ended up selling the 14.5" barrels and doing just that.

Did you do the suppressor pin/weld or build a pistol/sbr? With braces as cheap and good as they are right now and form 1 times so short it's hard to imagine a need to weld your suppressor to the barrel.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I built SBR's. This was before all the brace stuff really took off.

My only point was to caution him about welding suppressors.

Edit: I still really like a pinned 14.5" on a rifle. Just feels the most intuitive for me out of any of the options.

mischief fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 12, 2020

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Somebody Awful posted:

Finally got a chance to sit down and assemble the lower half of my bargain bin A1 build. Good news: the Anderson lower I panic-bought in 2016 seems to be in spec and functional. Bad news: the secondhand Olympic takeoff upper receiver I was going to use for this build is not. Near as I can figure, the upper's rear pin hole was drilled off center. I can probably fix it but I probably won't have access to the requisite tools for a while.

Or I can slap on the flattop upper which does fit and make a faux retro DMR thing.

If you egg out the holes in the upper then it'll be trash instead of just tolerance stacked close to out of spec like it is now. I do a wobble test with my uppers and lowers to find good matches. Take the good match and just swap the furniture or triggers on the lower.

Domini Cane
Oct 21, 2002

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.

Has anyone had experience being a Lefty shooting an AR? My sister is looking to get into shooting an AR and I have almost enough spare parts to build her one.

Are ambidextrous lowers important? Who makes decent ones?

Are left handed uppers necessary? If so, does anyone other than Stag Arms make one?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

So I got my AR together just waiting to get an opportunity to exchange my scope mount through amazon.

One thing I was looking to do when sales start happening this summer is get a nicer lower than my DPMS I go my last panic. I was leaning towards the Aero m4e1 lower since it looks nicer (this is purely for aesthetic reasons) and i wouldnít mind having an extra lower lying around.

Iím assuming they are pretty good in terms of fit/finish? Anything else I should be looking at?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Domini Cane posted:

Has anyone had experience being a Lefty shooting an AR? My sister is looking to get into shooting an AR and I have almost enough spare parts to build her one.

Are left handed uppers necessary? If so, does anyone other than Stag Arms make one?

If you get one with a shell deflector (pretty much most modern ARs) a lefty gun is unnecessary.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Domini Cane posted:

My first AR years ago was a stag lefty. It was fine. I haven't shot much using standard ARs, but the few i did, didn't disturb me much ejecting cases.
My current build I've thrown together is a standard upper, so well see if my opinion changes. For what its worth, when i have the cash together, ill likely buy another stag lefty. It was convenient, just... not an absolute necessity, to me.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Re: lowers

Thereís a million different lower designs. Aeros are always good fit/finish. Iím still a fan of the ADM UIC ambi lowers. Thereís the KE MKIII. Brownells BRN-180 dedicated bufferless. New frontier has one with a built in folding stock. These are all the spacegun/gimmick ones I can recall off the top of my head.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Domini Cane posted:

The only thing that really matters besides an ambi safety is a left-handed mag release, and several companies make drop in buttons for that like this one: http://www.kearms.com/Ambi-Magazine-Catch.aspx

They work decently well and can be installed on any standard lower.

Left hand uppers aren't necessary at all, any properly gassed upper will throw the brass forward at an angle and you won't have any trouble shooting it as a lefty.

Domini Cane
Oct 21, 2002

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.

Thanks all y'all for the info on Left ARs.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

DeesGrandpa posted:

If you get one with a shell deflector (pretty much most modern ARs) a lefty gun is unnecessary.

I mostly shoot lefty and this is very true. I've never gotten whacked with a case.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I finally caught the bug. I have a PSA lower on the way to a LGS. I probably picked a bad time since everything I want other than the lower is out of stock. Hoping to put a 16" mid length upper on an A2 lower. I had an airsoft gun like that once and enjoyed the LoP.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Pay very close attention to whether it's in-spec or not

Also monitor your credit card statements

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Internet Wizard posted:

Pay very close attention to whether it's in-spec or not

Also monitor your credit card statements

My credit card company allows me to issue store-specific CC numbers and I've been using em for a few years with PSA (like, two transactions total) and haven't had any hits on that number in the past few years. The real answer is you should probably be using a credit card condom everywhere you go on the Internet since your payments pass through a few processors like Verisign, Authorize.net, Stripe, Heartland, etc and a breach at any of their payment gateways could result in a really lovely time for you.

well, an annoying time at least.

Since we have lots of new AR builds coming online here's a few reasonably affordable Micro Red Dots ya'll might wanna consider.
OG PA Microdots (1000hrs battery life instead of 50,000hrs) for $90 on Primary Arms
Sig Romeo V CR2032 based Motion Activated Red Dot for $140 + $8.50 for shipping on PSA
Vortex Sparc II AR AAA compatible Micro Red Dot for $150 shipped when using code SPARC on PSA

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 12, 2020

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Is that the same PA dot you showered with and baked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Internet Wizard posted: