Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

Hm. May I ask what you mean by ďrolling your ownĒ in this case? Iíve been spreadsheeting some builds and I honestly think this place has better prices...in addition to being the only place where I can get a matching green lower, upper, and hand guard set.
Sounds like your heart is set then. None of us will likely have any experience with them since they're a smaller shop. Since they're running BA barrels, it wouldn't surprise me if they were also contracting their aluminum parts through Aero. Also, if you care about color, Aero does do matched builder sets every once and a while, or you could always learn how to do the painting yourself.

A quick google for the shop indicates they're pretty small and not the fastest supplier around so that's something to keep in mind as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Ah ok. I hadnít been thinking about that. Shows how little I know about all this.

Doubtless there are places near me that can do it.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Craptacular posted:

Uhh, there's cerakote places all over. Just buy whatever parts you want and then have them cerakoted. Don't buy something just because it's in the color you want. That's literally the least important thing about it.

Sometimes its cheaper to buy stuff prepainted than getting a custom shop to do it tho.

Apollodorus posted:

Ah ok. I hadnít been thinking about that. Shows how little I know about all this.

Doubtless there are places near me that can do it.

Share yo spreadsheet and lets see if we can save you a few bills.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

So here's where I am with my build as of now:
PSA stealth lower: $83 after transfer
Anderson A2 LPK: $58 after shipping
Leapers UTG A2 Stock kit: $56 free shipping
Total spent: $197

How did I do?

Everything is out of stock or I probably would have ordered an upper by now too. I'm looking at a 16" mid-gas from PSA but they aren't displaying prices right now.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Well PSA and Anderson are known to be out of spec pretty frequently so you're gonna want to pay a lot of attention to that when you're putting it together

If you're going for low price first and function second that's probably about as good as you're gonna get right now

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I went with PSA for two reasons. First was price because cheap is it's own cool for me. Second is I have an uncle who is an avid hunter that has praised his PSA lowers. I hope I get one with as good of QC that he has.

As far as the Anderson stuff, I've definitely heard that and they weren't my first choice. There was an Aero A2 LPK for a couple bucks more but when I submitted the order, they emailed me to say it was sold out. Since I used a burner card, I canceled that item and ordered the Anderson, which was in stock. A guy I work with is confident that an lpk is an lpk and says that his Andersons run as expected.

This is all new to me. I read the old thread's OP and Miso's excellent OP in this thread. If nothing else, I hope to learn some stuff, and I'll have a base rifle to trick out later. So thanks AR thread!

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I went with PSA for two reasons. First was price because cheap is it's own cool for me. Second is I have an uncle who is an avid hunter that has praised his PSA lowers. I hope I get one with as good of QC that he has.

As far as the Anderson stuff, I've definitely heard that and they weren't my first choice. There was an Aero A2 LPK for a couple bucks more but when I submitted the order, they emailed me to say it was sold out. Since I used a burner card, I canceled that item and ordered the Anderson, which was in stock. A guy I work with is confident that an lpk is an lpk and says that his Andersons run as expected.

This is all new to me. I read the old thread's OP and Miso's excellent OP in this thread. If nothing else, I hope to learn some stuff, and I'll have a base rifle to trick out later. So thanks AR thread!

I'd get a Brownells LPK and an Anderson lower if it were me. I've used that combo on 2 rifles and it's been fine. I have 3 anderson lowers, all have been completely in spec and Ive had zero problems with assembly or matching up with about 5 different uppers.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Miso Beno posted:

Sometimes its cheaper to buy stuff prepainted than getting a custom shop to do it tho.

Share yo spreadsheet and lets see if we can save you a few bills.

Okay, well, here are the three I've put together -- probably forgot a bunch of stuff too :P

Aero Precision M4E1 receivers:

B King's stuff:

and what was supposed to be more budget build using an Anderson lower:

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Leapers UTG A2 Stock kit: $56 free shipping

If you really want an a2 stock I will sell you a better set for $50.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

edit: just realized not all government barrels are m4 cut

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Apollodorus posted:

Okay, well, here are the three I've put together -- probably forgot a bunch of stuff too :P

Aero Precision M4E1 receivers:

B King's stuff:

and what was supposed to be more budget build using an Anderson lower:

Here are some of mine from my Build Tracker Google Docs.

I did a new/used column on my keeper but a lot of those parts were used off AR15.com's Equipment Exchange. I also like Schuyler Arms Co for Aero Precision stuff (especially Lower Parts Kits (minus FCG and Grip) for $21. These are good for roll your own builds because you'll probably wind up getting a different grip (vs an A2) and an upgraded trigger anyway, so why pay for them in a Lower Parts Kit (LPK). I like to buy used complete upper receivers off AR15.com's EE - I have an RSS feed with minute updates on my phone and when I'm not busy at work I'm super active. Getting a complete upper (including BCG and CH) for $155 shipped is hard but possible - I have the tools to reconfigure uppers so sometimes I'll take parts to keep and parts to sell (hence a bunch of random builds). Besides the above resources I like shopping the Aero Precision BLEM category and sales (sometimes 25% off blem items, always added in cart - sign up for their news letter), I got a few blem M4E1 lowers for cheap with free shipping this way. I didn't cheap out on my Home Defense/Keeper build, but I still bought a lot of parts used and saved money vs retail. Some of these sources I wouldn't recommend for a rifle you're using for HD (i.e. Ceratac, BCA, etc) but a lot of really serviceable stuff is out there for cheap.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 15, 2020

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ceros_X posted:

Here are some of mine from my Build Tracker Google Docs.

I did a new/used column on my keeper but a lot of those parts were used off AR15.com's Equipment Exchange. I also like Schuyler Arms Co for Aero Precision stuff (especially Lower Parts Kits (minus FCG and Grip) for $21. These are good for roll your own builds because you'll probably wind up getting a different grip (vs an A2) and an upgraded trigger anyway, so why pay for them in a Lower Parts Kit (LPK). I like to buy used complete upper receivers off AR15.com's EE - I have an RSS feed with minute updates on my phone and when I'm not busy at work I'm super active. Getting a complete upper (including BCG and CH) for $155 shipped is hard but possible - I have the tools to reconfigure uppers so sometimes I'll take parts to keep and parts to sell (hence a bunch of random builds). Besides the above resources I like shopping the Aero Precision BLEM category and sales (sometimes 25% off blem items, always added in cart - sign up for their news letter), I got a few blem M4E1 lowers for cheap with free shipping this way. I didn't cheap out on my Home Defense/Keeper build, but I still bought a lot of parts used and saved money vs retail. Some of these sources I wouldn't recommend for a rifle you're using for HD (i.e. Ceratac, BCA, etc) but a lot of really serviceable stuff is out there for cheap.

Arm or Ally, Brownells, AR15Discounts.com, and Granite Ridge are also good sources for affordable parts too. A brand new 16" government spec mid gas barrel of Ballistic Advantage's caliber should run you right about $99.

Oh yeah this is a pretty good deal - Aero M4E1 Gen II 15" Mlok Upper for $190.

edit: Another good supplier, though a little inconsistent - The Peace Geek has contract overrun stuff for a pretty good deal

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 15, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I stopped doing parts lists and just started collecting buckets of parts. Then when I build itís like shopping from myself and everything is something I like and would actually buy

....donít be like me

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

I stopped doing parts lists and just started collecting buckets of parts. Then when I build itís like shopping from myself and everything is something I like and would actually buy

....donít be like me

i build a parts bin ar over the weekend and im kind of in love with it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Shaocaholica posted:

I stopped doing parts lists and just started collecting buckets of parts. Then when I build it’s like shopping from myself and everything is something I like and would actually buy

....don’t be like me

Love it

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

....donít be like me

I have a hutch in our extra bedroom that is literally full of unfinished AR ideas and bits and pieces. Lately with me being home more than usual it has started to spread into the cabinet in our kitchen as well. It is an affliction. I've got five or six lowers just floating around.

My opinion, folks asking about a first AR - Aero is great but Anderson is fine. I've built several rifles with their stuff and had no issues.

mischief fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 15, 2020

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

parts bin build:

$70 DPMS 1:9 20" barrel from CDNN
$55 Mystery Meat Peace Geek Handguard
$35 ZRODelta upper from Peace Geek
Gas tube gas block muzzle device, upper completion parts from the God of the Parts Pile
Random nitride BCG from the God of the Parts Pile
Forgotten Mega Billet Lower that had been cannibalized for parts years ago from the God of the Parts Pile
Mega Trigger from the God of the Parts Pile
Other fire control parts Parts from the God of the Parts Pile
Mercon 1-6x cannibalized from another project from the God of the Parts Pile
A1 Furniture from the God of the Parts Pile

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 15, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I have a gwacs and a psa lower (both complete) just kinda hanging around for the last year or seven and have been lucky enough not to have growth. Am thinking of SBRing the GWACS for the gently caress of it then all bets are off

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Forgotten Mega billet lower he says...

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

mischief posted:

I found in my closet during my spring build-fest a Mega forged, a Mega Billet Ambi, and a Mega MATEN with the 12" integrated handguard and ambi bolt release. I guess when Zev announced their purchase I panicked and threw them in the closet.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

mischief posted:

I used to work a quite a bit with Mega back in the day. That's one of their early billets lowers from before they moved to a squared-off trigger guard that I got for cheap. Since it didn't match the appearance of their later production rifles, I cannibalized it for parts to build out other guns.

I have a smooth modular (direct thread) monolithic rifle length and a carbine length upper left in my parts stash too.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

DeesGrandpa posted:

I have a gwacs and a psa lower (both complete) just kinda hanging around for the last year or seven and have been lucky enough not to have growth. Am thinking of SBRing the GWACS for the gently caress of it then all bets are off

Why? Then you're stuck with an A1-length stock on an SBR with no option for a collapsible or folding stock. I'd SBR the PSA.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

The PSA is the more practical option for sure.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=143766&avad=211021_f1a3f98a9

2 pack of no logo Anderson lowers for $78 with shipping. For those of you that want to hide the poverty pony instead of using it with pride.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

That Works posted:

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=143766&avad=211021_f1a3f98a9

2 pack of no logo Anderson lowers for $78 with shipping. For those of you that want to hide the poverty pony instead of using it with pride.

Did they change the finish on their lowers? They look darker and smoother and less "chalkboardy" than my other Anderson lowers. That has always been my complaint with cheap lowers compared to nicer lowers is the finish is different.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

ZebraBlade posted:

Did they change the finish on their lowers? They look darker and smoother and less "chalkboardy" than my other Anderson lowers. That has always been my complaint with cheap lowers compared to nicer lowers is the finish is different.

Hard to tell from photos really.

My Anderson lowers are <5 yrs old and the finish looks just like the PSA upper and two no name A2 uppers I have. Same shade (mostly) and matte reflectivity.

e: here they are for comparison

That Works fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 15, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

DakianDelomast posted:

I found in my closet during my spring build-fest a Mega forged, a Mega Billet Ambi, and a Mega MATEN with the 12" integrated handguard and ambi bolt release. I guess when Zev announced their purchase I panicked and threw them in the closet.

Jealous

My first build was a MEGA billet upper and ambi lower, and I love them but not for $Zev to get any new ones

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

e: not mine but inspired!

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 15, 2020

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Wow

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Craptacular posted:

Why? Then you're stuck with an A1-length stock on an SBR with no option for a collapsible or folding stock. I'd SBR the PSA.

Miso Beno posted:

The PSA is the more practical option for sure.

I shoot A1 stock length generally (though an A2 stock feels super right when I'm forced to use one) so not really a big loss. The GWACS is more interesting than the PSA, as well as lighter, and it'd be really fun to just make a handy little really lightweight 10.5.

It's also only $200 (and an annoying wait time) which is well within fun gimmick pricing, so who cares?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

I shoot A1 stock length generally (though an A2 stock feels super right when I'm forced to use one) so not really a big loss. The GWACS is more interesting than the PSA, as well as lighter, and it'd be really fun to just make a handy little really lightweight 10.5.

It's also only $200 (and an annoying wait time) which is well within fun gimmick pricing, so who cares?

then it sounds like you've made up your mind.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Miso Beno posted:

then it sounds like you've made up your mind.

Yeah, never asked a question in that post, just my intent for a goofy lil project. Actual question now though, are the ATF still processing NFA paperwork or is that on hold for the covid?

Cloudyak
May 14, 2009

Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshal Dillon?

DeesGrandpa posted:

Yeah, never asked a question in that post, just my intent for a goofy lil project. Actual question now though, are the ATF still processing NFA paperwork or is that on hold for the covid?

Yes, it seems like they are still doing paperwork and approvals are still rolling in.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

i think i misunderstood cos you shared two lowers. if your mind is made up i would like to revise my response to

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

DeesGrandpa posted:

I sold my gwacs lower because it just wasnt lighter enough to matter for anything I do, but I was on the fence about SBRing it before I did. In my opinion go for it!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Shaocaholica posted:

e: not mine but inspired!

I'm not sure if I could ever fire that. What a beautiful piece.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Here's a betterer pic of my Parts Bin 733. Obviously the lower isn't parts bin (SBR'd mega lower via Rouge Defense, Geissele SSA Trigger) but the upper is a cast-off Ballistic Advantage 16" carbine gas barrel I had cut down to 11.5-in on an Olympic Arms factory second C7 upper, and an unbranded phosphate bcg.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Miso Beno posted:

Here's a betterer pic of my Parts Bin 733. Obviously the lower isn't parts bin (SBR'd mega lower via Rouge Defense, Geissele SSA Trigger) but the upper is a cast-off Ballistic Advantage 16" carbine gas barrel I had cut down to 11.5-in on an Olympic Arms factory second C7 upper, and an unbranded phosphate bcg.

That's wonderful.

I gotta finish building this:

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 15, 2020

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

i love the zapper grip angle on the pistol grip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006