Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

My very first rifle. Ruger AR556 MPR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Good buy! But you gotta move that rear sight back to the rearmost rail slot on the upper receiver.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Smegma Princess X posted:

My very first rifle. Ruger AR556 MPR

Welcome to the club!

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Welcome to the good AR club, and good page snipe! Like The_Rat said, unless you have a really good reason (weird optics setup) you'll wanna move your rear sight as far back as possible in order to extend your sight radius. It makes the gun easier to aim when running it with the irons.

Unrelated:

took a picture of my noisyboi

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Miso Beno posted:

Welcome to the good AR club, and good page snipe! Like The_Rat said, unless you have a really good reason (weird optics setup) you'll wanna move your rear sight as far back as possible in order to extend your sight radius. It makes the gun easier to aim when running it with the irons.

Unrelated:

took a picture of my noisyboi

You don't see ACS stocks often enough

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

You don't see ACS stocks often enough

They're one of my favorites.

My other favorites:
Car-15
SOPMOD
SL-K

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

ZebraBlade posted:

458 SOCOM featuring dirty living room table

The ultimate digivolution of the .45-70 Gov't.

I have a friend who also has purple as his primary color who'd stickfight you for that rug.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Oh wait I didn't order any magazines.

I live in an unrestricted capacity state, so...what's the best 5.56 magazine capacity and which model is the best in that size?

Or, maybe not the best, but, best balance between price and performance.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Magpul M3 Pmags. 30 rounders unless you want to shoot off the bipod a lot in which case 20 rounders.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

I live in an unrestricted capacity state, so...what's the best 5.56 magazine capacity and which model is the best in that size?

The Rat posted:

Magpul M3 Pmags. 30 rounders unless you want to shoot off the bipod a lot in which case 20 rounders.

Magpul also makes 40 rounders which aren't too pricey and have run well for me, though they are longer. The Surefire 60/100 round mags are ridiculous (do they even make those anymore) and don't really work well. There are some reliable drum mags, such as the Magpul D60, but they are bulky and expensive. Other than that, you'll have to mess with mag extension which are generally pricey and may not be as reliable. Super long extensions are usually the territory of gun gamers who are willing to spend the money for that extra advantage.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/873750006178

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Apollodorus posted:

I think 30rders are a good mix of weight, capacity and cost. The Magpul gen 3 already mentioned is great (make sure you check, there are a bunch of Magpul gen 2 floating around as well - they work equally as well in an AR15 but might as well get the latest and greatest). The only downside to the Magpul mags is that they're slightly bigger (exterior dimension wise) that the old faithful USGI/STANAG pattern magazine, so they can be a tight fit in some magazine holders. A good option would be a metal magazine (aluminum usually) with a Magpul follower such as these link or link. Some people like steel magazines more than aluminum (steel can rust, aluminum can bend, plastic can break when dropped fully loaded etc). Just remember that magazines are a consumable/wear item and you should plan on replacing them.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

M2 pmags are also usually cheaper. I have a shitton of them because you can get them for $8-9 pretty consistently, vs $10-12 for the m3 pmags.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Yeah, Magpul Pmags are the gold standard for polymer mags. I have only them and they've never had a problem, but I've only ever taken them to the range and back. The Magpul D60 is a 60-round drum magazine, but its fiddly/time-consuming to load and heavy when loaded. It works pretty well for what it is, but it's 2X the capacity of a normal PMAG for 8X the price. I got one as part of a package deal with some other mags. I think I've use it like 3 times in five years, always for novelty.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your launch.... 'cause mine's gonna be suborbital

Primary Arms has 20rd 'blemished' translucent smoke Lancers for $11.99 at the moment, limit of five: https://www.primaryarms.com/lancer-...AD12_lockNLoad?

I also picked up a fair amount of BCM USGI 30rd recently - 12 in total (to get free shipping ), for around $10/mag: https://bravocompanyusa.com/ar15-magazines-with-gray-teflon-finish-magpul-enhanced-follower-30-round-gray/

And in black: https://bravocompanyusa.com/ar15-magazines-with-black-teflon-finish-magpul-enhanced-follower-30-round-black/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 21, 2020

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I'm still using the first gen unwindowed Pmags I brought on deployment in 2007(I think, they were still pretty new magazines). Granted I didn't even use them for like 10 years after getting out in '09, but I've never had a problem with them. Steel is heavy and aluminum bends too easy.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

boxen posted:

Yeah, Magpul Pmags are the gold standard for polymer mags. I have only them and they've never had a problem, but I've only ever taken them to the range and back. The Magpul D60 is a 60-round drum magazine, but its fiddly/time-consuming to load and heavy when loaded. It works pretty well for what it is, but it's 2X the capacity of a normal PMAG for 8X the price. I got one as part of a package deal with some other mags. I think I've use it like 3 times in five years, always for novelty.

I love my d60. It's great for 3gun/2gun when you just don't want to loving reload on a stage.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

You can have my aluminum 30 round mags when you pry them from my dead hands in the streets. I've used them quite a bit casually and for 3 gun and never torn one up.
Brownells makes good mags. Magpul makes an even better followers for them.

You used to be able to find old USGI (Center Industries, Okay, Adventureline, etc) for really cheap as well. Most of my mags are surplus/posurp and I just think they look neat.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Pmags are where it's at

The Marines banned anything that isn't a gen3 Pmag in a combat zone a couple years back

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Internet Wizard posted:

The Marines banned anything that isn't a gen3 Pmag in a combat zone a couple years back

I suppose that's an endorsement and then some.

Are the windowed mags worth the slight premium? They seem convenient, anyway.

Would it be a good idea to get a few of each of various kinds? Or are PMags just so much better that it's not worth anything else...?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

At this point the only reason for you to get anything other than pmags is that you are a reloader and you're reloading longer than usual cartridges. Some brands of magazines (I think ASC?) allows you to reload out to 2.300 inches instead of 2.260 that is the standard. If you want to waste money for no good reason, I guess you could get Lancer mags, but they're essentially pricier pmags.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Lancer makes mags in pretty colors, ain't nothing wrong with that.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Since I'm waiting on restocking for 99% of the uppers that I'm looking for, would it be a better idea to get the bcg and charging handle separate from the upper?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

mischief posted:

You can have my aluminum 30 round mags when you pry them from my dead hands in the streets. I've used them quite a bit casually and for 3 gun and never torn one up.
Brownells makes good mags. Magpul makes an even better followers for them.

You used to be able to find old USGI (Center Industries, Okay, Adventureline, etc) for really cheap as well. Most of my mags are surplus/posurp and I just think they look neat.

I had GI mags work great.... until they don't. Started getting mysterious feed malfunctions, and finally switched over to pmags and they instanty went away completely. It's just not worth skimping on 2 or 3 bucks a mag to go with GI in my opinion. Just overall they are so much more solid, and at least compared to green follower mags you can easily see how much better they are.

Also something that's not insignificant is pmags have over-insertion stops so you can monopod off them. Wouldn't dare do that with a GI mag, but works great with a pmag.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Internet Wizard posted:

Pmags are where it's at

The Marine Corps also banned all PMags for a little while, so.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Yeah, I believe the Marines banned PMAGs for a bit because the IAR being an HK416 magwell meant it didn't play nice. The Magpul EMAG was supposed to fix that issue when loading into 416's & L85's, and the Gen3 PMAG incorporated those features and is why the Marines are now allowing them.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

only GEN3 plastic fantastic for my SAW and HK416

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die.

I had problems with pmags sticking in my m16. It wasn't just an IAR problem.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Usually thatís the rifleís fault

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

how do I obtain a good rear end AR in these troubled times

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Wangsbig posted:

how do I obtain a good rear end AR in these troubled times

What's your intended use and budget?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

The Rat posted:

What's your intended use and budget?

I'd like a nice all around gun for the range and the dreaded "home protection ". my budget can stretch a good bit but I'd like to stay within the $1k range. I have optics i intend to use already

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Wangsbig posted:

I'd like a nice all around gun for the range and the dreaded "home protection ". my budget can stretch a good bit but I'd like to stay within the $1k range. I have optics i intend to use already

Got a preferred caliber? With that budget you have a ton of options.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Action-Bastard posted:

Got a preferred caliber? With that budget you have a ton of options.

556/223. I'd like to stay in the rifle form factor, not sold on pistol

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

If you want to build it, even slapping together a complete lower and complete upper, that should be easily doable in that budget range. Companies I'd look at would be BCM, Centurion, Colt, Geissele, and LMT.

If you wanted to buy one built off the shelf, and can stretch the budget just a tad, this is what I would buy: https://www.centurionarms.com/cm4-rifle-p/cm4rfl.htm

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

it is unfortunately out of stock like a lot of the heavily recommended options

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Aw crap, I didn't notice that. It was in stock just a few days ago when I recommended it to a friend.

Looking around, let's see.

https://grabagun.com/firearms/rifles/ar-15-rifles-ar-10-ak47/fn-fn15-tact-carb-ii-5-56-fde-blk.html The price on this one can probably go lower on that grab a quote thing. Great handguard, can attest as I have a variant.

And uh.

Wow, I'm looking around and there really isn't much in stock online anywhere when it comes to complete guns. It might be a lot easier assembling one.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Installing a flash hider on a new barrel, is a vice block/clamp required? Getting mixed answers when googling. I got an AR wrench and some strong arms.

Its a pencil barrel and a pretty standard flash hider for the record.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

yeah I wouldn't mind assembling but I'm coming across the issue of all uppers being sold out. guess it's a bad time to get into the platform but boy am I impatient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Wangsbig posted:

yeah I wouldn't mind assembling but I'm coming across the issue of all uppers being sold out. guess it's a bad time to get into the platform but boy am I impatient

Complete upper may be sold out but AIM surplus sells barrels with the gas blocks already installed which can save you some time and effort assembling an upper. If you wanna go that route.