Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

This just sounds like horrible caveats for a HD gun.

Loctiting down all screws on whatever mount should be a standard practice. I've not had to use a shim for any handles, but so many people make so many to different spec that poo poo happens sometimes, and there's no problem with a shim if it's needed and keeps everything solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Cant speak for beer can shims but I def blue loctite all my optics and sling mount screws etc.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

I started my AR build March which with all the panic buying was a really stupid idea. May 8th I ordered the final few pieces which were the handguard and muzzle brake. After getting notification from optics planet that they finally shipped yesterday I thought the ordeal was finally over. Except UPS just updated the tracking number and due to civil unrest my package is lost.

Assuming I ever actually finish this gun i fully expect it to explode the first time I shoot it

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah...i have the ultimate wtf shipping story regarding a pistol that i will only share in person with people for... reasons. It's pretty hard to beat

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Anyone here have a go to for a rail mounted sling attachment? Have a FF tube upper I want to put a sling on. Already have the hardware for putting an inch of rail on the bottom or side of the tube (came with tube) just need an attachment.

Edit. Normal 2 point web attachment not a hook or anything. This is for a vickers sling I just found in a box and Iíd like to get this rifle carry-able.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The CQD forward sling mount is good as a rail-mounted bare-bones sling attachment point.

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shaocaholica posted:

Hey Russell what's up with KE not shipping 80% lowers to CA? The CA bill that passed has not actually gone into effect and won't go into effect until 2022. Yeah I know its a lot to dig through. By design!

https://esd.dof.ca.gov/dofpublic/public/trailerBill/pdf/39

Sales of 80s was drawing the wrong kind of clientele that in turn drew the attention of [REDACTED]. It was easier to discontinue/limit sales for the profit margin vs deal with the aggravation and other expenses related to that.

Not directly related but ATF issuing new classifications on new 80% designs has basically ground to a halt. Too politically charged and all the attorneys and analysts at ATF are still Obama era hold overs that are not in favor of them in general.

Agrocrag
Oct 22, 2004

True love at last

I made a little loop with paracord for my AR

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Agrocrag posted:

I made a little loop with paracord for my AR

Careful, that area gets really hot, nylon might not last very long there.

Chupacabra
May 20, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anyone here have a go to for a rail mounted sling attachment? Have a FF tube upper I want to put a sling on. Already have the hardware for putting an inch of rail on the bottom or side of the tube (came with tube) just need an attachment.

Edit. Normal 2 point web attachment not a hook or anything. This is for a vickers sling I just found in a box and Iíd like to get this rifle carry-able.

Maybe something like this? https://danieldefense.com/rail-mount-qd-swivel-attachment-point-w-swivel.html

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

You could also skip the rail section and use something like this if it'll loop through the holes in the handguard. I have one up front on one of my AK's and it does the job.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/uloop

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Final Blog Entry posted:

You could also skip the rail section and use something like this if it'll loop through the holes in the handguard. I have one up front on one of my AK's and it does the job.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/uloop

Uloops are great, but I have had one break and rip the little metal ball out of the plastic slot that holds it in place. Quite convenient, but I wouldn't trust it for heavy use after that.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

You could also use a longer P-cord loop and a plastic tube and go all the way around the handguard like the Proctor Sling does. http://www.frankproctorshooting.com/proctor-sling/

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Careful, that area gets really hot, nylon might not last very long there.

I think 550 paracord stable for a few hundred degrees but yeah Ethan might be dead in the streets after a lot of mag dumps.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Cyrano4747 posted:

Edit. Normal 2 point web attachment not a hook or anything. This is for a vickers sling I just found in a box and I’d like to get this rifle carry-able.

I have a few extra of these(it's a BFG Rail Mounted Fixed Loop (RMFL) sling mount), I can sell you $cheap if you'd like.

If your rail is MLOK or Keymod you're probably better off with a qd socket that mates up directly to those vs a rail + adapter. If it's an older handguard with proprietary stuff ya gotta do what you gotta do.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SinistralRifleman posted:

Sales of 80s was drawing the wrong kind of clientele that in turn drew the attention of [REDACTED]. It was easier to discontinue/limit sales for the profit margin vs deal with the aggravation and other expenses related to that.

Not directly related but ATF issuing new classifications on new 80% designs has basically ground to a halt. Too politically charged and all the attorneys and analysts at ATF are still Obama era hold overs that are not in favor of them in general.

Thanks for the transparency! Activating, dark web 2.0...beep...boop...hisss

Agrocrag
Oct 22, 2004

True love at last

Just remembered that I ordered one of those loop things a while ago. I only shoot like 50 rounds when I go to the range so I doubt the Paracord would have issues but whatever I guess this looks cooler.

This vtac sling has so much excess fabric. Should I just cut it and burn the edge?

Bonus pic of my Spyderco dragonfly and a watch.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Agrocrag posted:

Just remembered that I ordered one of those loop things a while ago. I only shoot like 50 rounds when I go to the range so I doubt the Paracord would have issues but whatever I guess this looks cooler.

This vtac sling has so much excess fabric. Should I just cut it and burn the edge?

Bonus pic of my Spyderco dragonfly and a watch.

You can cut it or fold the end over itself till you're at the right length and just tape it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cyrano4747 posted:

Why no hook? You can easily add a hook or QD to that sling that opens up a lot of mounting options.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

i dont like hooks because they scratcs my pretty gun

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I don't like hooks cause they jingle jangle

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx

How are the KE arms complete uppers?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

550 cord is fine. That's what I did when I was in and I still do it now that I'm out, no heat issues.

e: Not right on the gas block, though.

The Rat posted:

I don't like hooks cause they jingle jangle

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Shaocaholica posted:

Why no hook? You can easily add a hook or QD to that sling that opens up a lot of mounting options.

eh, itís a sling I found in a box of old poo poo along with other ca 2010 crap like mosin mag pouches and itís an AR thatís a range toy but that I want to get semi squared away without worrying too much about my DITS status

Basically just being cheap. Itís not a high priority thing.

Itís ok though ceros got me squared away.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So 6 ARC looks surprisingly cool for a target gun. If the advertising literature is to be believed it has less wind drift and drop than a .308 and might be really fun for a DMR type rifle for 3gun bonus targets that are between 600 and 1k yards.

And it's lighter and cheaper than a 6.5 creedmoor gun...

What I'm saying is someone please talk me out of buying another lower to build into this so my wife isn't mad at me.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

L0cke17 posted:

What I'm saying is someone please talk me out of buying another lower to build into this so my wife isn't mad at me.

I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm waiting for reliability reports and confirmation of good magazines.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Agrocrag posted:

VTAC has said a few times that they intentionally make their slings long so that it can fit 6'6" operators wearing body armor etc

They talk about how to cut it down here:

https://youtu.be/wqQoDGdEFfM

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cutting and sealing nylon should be taught in schools.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

There is a lot of things they should teach in school.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

I prolly missed stove chat but for those of you who are space crunched: little fuckers like this one run on cheap as gently caress butane fuel and are also, cheap as gently caress if you got a local supplier.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Miso Beno posted:

I prolly missed stove chat but for those of you who are space crunched: little fuckers like this one run on cheap as gently caress butane fuel and are also, cheap as gently caress if you got a local supplier.

Just be forewarned, the life on those butane canisters is much shorter than isobutane or propane stoves. They work well but each canister doesn't go as far, so you may need more of them.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

That is true, but at a buck and a quarter from at my local Asian market, I don't mind keeping a half dozen on hand.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Miso Beno posted:

Is there stove chat I missed in this thread or was that supposed to go in the June chat thread?

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

My forward sling mount is a pair of UV-resistant heavy duty black zipties through a cockmod slot; the QD swivel I had was noisy and scratched the finish when it rotated.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

A coworker is wanting to get his first AR15, but all the good brands are out of stock around here. I've got a spare lower half I'd sell to him but don't know what is the current hotness in uppers.

What's a good, basic upper that he can order in the $400-$600 range? He's interested in 16" with free float tube. MLOK slots would be nice.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

poeticoddity posted:

Is there stove chat I missed in this thread or was that supposed to go in the June chat thread?

Oh weird that was meant for the June thread. must have gotten lost while phone posting.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Miso Beno posted:

Oh weird that was meant for the June thread. must have gotten lost while phone posting.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Can ghosts have silver alerts?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Well I got an e mail from optics planet after my handguard was lost by ups due to civil unrest. This one contained two tracking numbers, one for ups and one for USPS. I don't even know what I am going to end up getting now but I can't wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Parts Kit posted:

A coworker is wanting to get his first AR15, but all the good brands are out of stock around here. I've got a spare lower half I'd sell to him but don't know what is the current hotness in uppers.

What's a good, basic upper that he can order in the $400-$600 range? He's interested in 16" with free float tube. MLOK slots would be nice.

DSGArms has some duty grade stuff - this one is in stock (needs BCG and CH) https://dsgarms.com/complete-uppers-dsg-4303-0087

B. King Firearms has some cheaper stuff that is pretty decent:

https://bkingsfirearms.com/shop/com...nned-gas-block/

https://bkingsfirearms.com/shop/com...nned-gas-block/

A bunch of other options (Geissele rails, pinned gas blocks, etc) and they also offer headspaced BCGs and CHs for $109 - $120.